Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2015 2:05 pm  #1

GW game

First of all, in regards to firing Ferry now, I think that Duq81 is right in stating that we cannot do that.  What I do find shocking is that we signed Ferry to a 6 year deal in the first place.  5 would have been much more reasonable, as buying out one year wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Amodio obviously panicked, and as a result, he should be the one who bears the brunt of the blame. I also agree that every coach deserves at least 4 years.  If we are firing coaches after 3 bad seasons, we will never see a good coach come here.  Speaking of good coaches, I wouldn't mind having Vermont's head coach.  The last one is coaching against us today and has done wonders for GW. 

As an aside, it makes me crazy that Ferry always bitches about how bad the program was when he took over.  Ron won 7 A10 games his last season.  I'll faint if Jim does that this season.  Plus, Everhart had success far quicker.  I'm still going to support Ferry for this season and next, but things better start to turn around.  Today is a game that will really let me know how the program is going.   We have been close in many A10 games, but GW is extrremely well coached.  I'm interested to see how it goes.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/24/2015 2:18 pm  #2

Re: GW game

GW is averaging almost a 3-pointer per minute so far. And the zone defense remains in place.

1/24/2015 2:22 pm  #3

A little late on this... Betting line was 14 points.  Pomeroy has the Dukes losing by 15, 78 to 63, with a 7% chance of pulling the upset.

And the way this is starting out, it doesn't look good for the Dukes.  In the first 8 minutes, GW is 6 for 9 from the 3.  Defense anyone???

1/24/2015 2:40 pm  #4

Just turned game off, Duquesne down by 19, same old stuff , GW averages 4 threes a game already has 8', Dukes can't rebound or run set plays. I think this will continue for rest of year. Can't waste my Saturday watching anymore, at about 6 min mark sit half.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/24/2015 2:42 pm  #5

Hard to believe, but Tysean Powell may now have surpassed Jordan Stevens as the most selfish Duquesne player.  He doesn't play defense and doesn't pass the ball - a great combination.

1/24/2015 2:43 pm  #6

i honestly dont remember, but was our man to man defense this awful?!?!?!
a good high school team could score on this zone.
i dont understand with the guards sag back to the elbows. no pressure whatsoever,

brings me to my next point, when st bona and URI had the ball in closing seconds with chance to tie, did we sit way way way back in a zone and let them roll the ball to half court and then walk the ball right into their offense. absolutely no pressure at all. i am shocked that ferry wouldnt put colter on the ball and atleast make stb and uri run a few seconds off the clock before getting into their offense...

1/24/2015 2:56 pm  #7

At home painting my prep work spakling while drying I watched some of the first half wow! I feel sorry for these kids just lost!

1/24/2015 3:00 pm  #8

DU Basketball new slogan.  We redefine rock bottom on a daily basis.

1/24/2015 4:13 pm  #9

a james robinson and des ridenour sighting plus it appears our starters are better than their walk ons, so we have that going for us!

id like to think ive been one of the more optimistic ones this year, and i truly believe we have some talent capable of making some noise in the a10, i just think the coaching decisions/strategy/personnel moves are mind boggling at this point(other than coach rhoades). i have yet to see us make a mid game adjustment this year...

1/24/2015 4:19 pm  #10

Even before the walk-ons walked on, the bleeding had been slowed by FINALLY getting out of the damn zone. And Robinson, after an incredibly long stay in the doghouse, played with good energy. 

1/24/2015 4:38 pm  #11

heelsdukesfan wrote:

a james robinson and des ridenour sighting plus it appears our starters are better than their walk ons, so we have that going for us!

id like to think ive been one of the more optimistic ones this year, and i truly believe we have some talent capable of making some noise in the a10, i just think the coaching decisions/strategy/personnel moves are mind boggling at this point(other than coach rhoades). i have yet to see us make a mid game adjustment this year...

I think my eyes were playing tricks on me, I swear that Ferry actually switched to a man defense for a period in the second half.  Can that be?

Heels it is no secret that I believe hiring Ferry was a major mistake that is costing Duquesne dearly.  I respect your opinion, but got to disagree on the talent level.  IMHO with better coaching maybe this team could be a middle of the pack team, but this group has so many limitations they are not, nor ever can be,  top of the League material. I don't want to rip the individual players but guys who can't make lay ups or shoot FTs, consistitently miss wide open three point shots, too slow to play defense (either man or zone), can't beat their man off the dribble to take it to the hoop, can't chase down rebounds, and consistently make bone head plays are not next level material.  I hope these guys some day get pissed, wake up, and prove me wrong.  But as it stands right now most of these guys play like marginal A10 players.  A lot of it is coaching & development, but most of it I am sorry to say is lack of talent.

Last edited by CLK (1/24/2015 4:58 pm)

1/24/2015 4:56 pm  #12

Too many role players. Jones is a perfect example. He's a guy we would love as the fifth or sixth guy on a good team. Scrappy, hustles, doesn't need the ball, but on a team with so many limitations, we can't afford such a player. DcCoy and Mason were thought to have potential to be main cogs, but this has proven not to be the case. Both have too many limitations to ever be anything but role players. Ferry's future is going to hang on Castro being that guy who can take over a ball game. We don't have anything close to that right now.

Board footera