Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2015 8:17 pm  #1

the Ultimate Choke....

I’ve been a season ticket holder (first row A14 – class of ’63) for many years.  Rather than go to the Bonaventure game, I watched it on A10 INSIDER TV with Tim Neverett and Curtis Aiken calling the game.  Unfortunately I witnessed ‘all too predictable’ outcome:

• Dukes play well in the first half,  except continue to miss 55- 60% of their free throws

• Go up by 15 points with 12 minutes to go in second half– and look very confident!  Are up by 9 points with 2 ¼ minutes to play and should be able to put it away

• Then they begin to play cautiously and awkwardly try to eat clock and protect the lead – but instead – either lose the ball or end up without a score and the shot clock running out – all this with a substantial lead.  The defense can’t adjust and defend!  Where’s the coach?

• Kids lose confidence & lead is frittered away - the kids play on their heels until the predestined heart-breaking finish -- ie the opponent finally taking the lead and the game.  Where’s leadership from coach?  Where are the effective defensive adjustments?  Where has he instilled confidence?  When will his team begin to improve foul shooting?  They’re getting worse.  I’m 73 yrs of age and can hit better than 50% foul tries.

The problem is – this is the MO that the Dukes have funneled into – and then down the drain. The program appears foundering without a leader at the helm.  I don’t think the talent is that bad by a long shot.  With the exception of Dayton they have been very competitive with very talented opponents [VCU, St. Louis, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, .   I don’t think an Andrew Tool would have blown so many games.  Both Amodio and Ferry need to go. We need to start over again.

And me  -- I’ll begin to purchase tickets again when I see signs of a confident program evolving.

gjgsr

1/24/2015 8:34 pm  #2

Re: the Ultimate Choke....

Good points and I appreciate your post...but you are talking to folks who agree.  Here is my question
Who else have you told...written the President?  Columnists?  Until this is media and DU driven, we are only talking to ourselves. In addition To no more tix, please contact these folks...and yes I have if you are wondering.

1/24/2015 8:45 pm  #3

Would be happy to copy this to the President of the University.  Do you have his email address?
gjgsr

1/25/2015 9:01 am  #4

gjgsr, what you have outlined is indeed a recurring outcome under Ferry.  Last year was the same story.  Good coaches win most of those game, "next level" coaches certainly find ways to win those games.  Jim Ferry has given no indication that he is a next level coach, or even a good or average coach.  I honestly wish this was not the case, but Amodio has screwed up royally with this hire.  What is worse is that given Ferry's undeserving exhorbitant contract we are unfortunately stuck with him for the next couple of years.  This is like being stuck in a bad dream for most DU fans.  It is sad to see this continuing trend under Amodio of so many long time, long suffering season ticket holders and fans like yourself walking away from this mess called Duquesne basketball.

1/25/2015 10:37 am  #5

gjgsr wrote:

Would be happy to copy this to the President of the University.  Do you have his email address?
gjgsr

It is on the main web site of the university, also that of his personal assistant (not secretary) Mary McIntyre who was kind enough to listen to me two years ago. Not that anything got done, but she listened.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/25/2015 3:27 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

gjgsr, what you have outlined is indeed a recurring outcome under Ferry.  Last year was the same story.  Good coaches win most of those game, "next level" coaches certainly find ways to win those games.  Jim Ferry has given no indication that he is a next level coach, or even a good or average coach.  I honestly wish this was not the case, but Amodio has screwed up royally with this hire.  What is worse is that given Ferry's undeserving exhorbitant contract we are unfortunately stuck with him for the next couple of years.  This is like being stuck in a bad dream for most DU fans.  It is sad to see this continuing trend under Amodio of so many long time, long suffering season ticket holders and fans like yourself walking away from this mess called Duquesne basketball.

CLK - Can you provide some names of coaches you'd like to see us go after?  For how many years and at what cost?  Just curious what you are thinking.

1/25/2015 4:08 pm  #7

I emailed sports writers - got a reply - I emailed the President's secretary who was giving the information to the President - got a reply from her.  Someone here provided me with her email.  I emailed the director of basketball operations - got a reply.  I emailed the assistant coaches (Ferry's name is not listed) about the poor accomplishments and didn't get a reply.  If 100 people did this it would make a much stronger impact.

1/25/2015 4:47 pm  #8

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

CLK - Can you provide some names of coaches you'd like to see us go after? For how many years and at what cost? Just curious what you are thinking.

WEB as I said in my post I think we are stuck with Ferry for the next several years.  DU is not in a position to shell out over $2MM to buy out his remaining contract, so it is useless to speculate on names of who DU should hire at this point.  I can say that the way Amodio handled the coaching search  was a disaster, and not the way key business hirings are made with any companies I have worked for in the past 40 years.  I give credit to Dr. Dougherty for providing the funding to lure a quality "next level" coach to DU, unfortuntely after focusing on one guy a rushed bad hiring decision was made. 

PS:  WEB when I said Ferry's contract was exhorbitant, I meant in terms of the quality of coach that was hired. If Amodio had truly hired a coach who could get us to the top of the A10 he would be worth every penny.  I would like nothing more than seeing Jim Ferry start earning his pay by turning this mess around this season and showing some signs that he can be that next level guy.  Regrettably, this season is spinning out of control and I do not see that happening, nor do I see us making much progress next season.  The following year is a rebuilding year with colter and Mason leaving.  All the while more and more empty seats and lost supporters.  We need to get a new AD right away to clean house, stop the bleeding, and make sure the next guy is the right guy.

Last edited by CLK (1/25/2015 8:49 pm)

Board footera