Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2015 7:44 pm  #1

George Mason

I truly believe the Dukes will win tomorrow night. We will have 5 in double figures.

1/31/2015 8:30 am  #2

Re: George Mason

Interesting article washington post 1/23/15 "what happened to George Mason basketball".....the president is upset because there is a 29% decline in season ticket holders . Higher standards I guess. New AD coach Hewitt fighting to save his job.

1/31/2015 9:27 am  #3

Ironduke1981 wrote:

Interesting article washington post 1/23/15 "what happened to George Mason basketball".....the president is upset because there is a 29% decline in season ticket holders . Higher standards I guess. New AD coach Hewitt fighting to save his job.

Well, they were in the Final Four less than a decade ago, and now they're at our level.  It took us a lot more than 9 years to get to the basement.

1/31/2015 10:16 am  #4

Betting line opened with GMU favored by 1; a little money on the Dukes have resulted in the current line being a Pick. Pomeroy has the Dukes winning by 1, 74-73; giving the Dukes a 51% of winning this one.

GMU has scored 70 or more points only 3 times this season vs. D-1 competition. A very poor shooting team, GMU tries to make up for this shortcoming by getting to the line frequently (3rd in conference) and getting offensive rebounds (1st in conference). GMU has a tall line up and they are shooting less than 30% fron the 3 (but nearly 35% in conference). So, the Dukes' zone may be semi-effective tonight, but Ferry should be ready to switch up to man if we are getting killed on the offensive boards. But as we have seen, defensive adjustments have been lacking.

*** EDIT ***  As of 1pm, the betting line has continued to swing the Dukes' way.  The Dukes are now favored by 2 points.
*** EDIT ***  As of 5:25 pm, the betting line has continued to swing the Dukes' way.  The Dukes are now favored by 3½ points. Haven't seen a Dukes' line swing this much in a long, long time.  The wise guys seem to think they know something by throwing money on the Dukes.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/31/2015 5:27 pm)

1/31/2015 12:36 pm  #5

Iron Duke: The Washington Post article about GMU hoops shows how difficult it is to have a consistent program. They have spent a lot of money on thier coach and their facility is much better than ours, but they are mired in a struggle to compete. Thanks for referencing it.

1/31/2015 4:17 pm  #6

It's crazy. I somehow convinced my fellow friend and Duq alum to come to game with me tonight. I go to almost every one but he boycotted after tj and Ron left. Hasn't been to game since.  Lets bring out the red shirts!

Last edited by lilpav30 (1/31/2015 7:44 pm)

1/31/2015 8:38 pm  #7

No Eric James??!!

1/31/2015 9:07 pm  #8

Boy, Mason is terrible.
14-16 from the line, I'm shocked!

1/31/2015 9:12 pm  #9

We were lucky they couldn't hit a 3 to save their lives.!  But we looked better in the second half.

1/31/2015 9:17 pm  #10

Maybe one of sloppiest games I have seen, but somehow Duquesne was better than Geo Mason. Multiple Duquesne turnovers most unforced but Geo Mason I shot so poorly that Duquesne pulled down 45 boards.

McKoy pulled down 16, with also 9 points. A improving game by game post play by Lewis and Coulter continue to play under control and picks up points when most needed. Dukes were almost a poor 3 pt shooters as Geo Mason.

Team needed a win and got one, now they have a week off until DAVIDSON on road next Sat.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/31/2015 9:44 pm  #11

Nice to get a W for my wife's birthday tonight!

1/31/2015 10:59 pm  #12

If I've ever seen a worse played game in A-10 league action by both teams I can not recall it.  I'm glad we were the winning team.

2/01/2015 8:32 am  #13

In homage to FAM, the Dukes successfully executed their infamous LHTM defense last night.

“We challenged them to make shots on the perimeter,” Duquesne coach Jim Ferry said. “The biggest key was rebounding the basketball. We knew that going in. Darius and Domo were tremendous.”

LHTM = Let's Hope They Miss
Thanks, FAM

2/01/2015 10:55 am  #14

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

In homage to FAM, the Dukes successfully executed their infamous LHTM defense last night.

“We challenged them to make shots on the perimeter,” Duquesne coach Jim Ferry said. “The biggest key was rebounding the basketball. We knew that going in. Darius and Domo were tremendous.”

LHTM = Let's Hope They Miss
Thanks, FAM

I did not get to view the game, but if it's like anything else this season I am assuming that "challenged them to make shots" means "Our 2 - 3 zone allowed them to isolate shooters for totally wide-open looks at the hoop and we prayed the would miss."

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/01/2015 11:33 am  #15

Thanks Phoenix!   On the short end, they did a nice job against their big guy.  In the big picture, you are exactly right, we won because they missed.  Glad the LHTM came through.  Honestly, I am really happy they won as all of us are...that is the reason for all of the anger - sadeness - BUT, this team may actually be worse than Duquesene.  
Congrats Jerome Bettis!!!

2/01/2015 12:00 pm  #16

They were poor shooters but our guards challenged them. For those who thinks NEC would be the answer, this looked like one of their games. With no one quick enough to get open and steals because of poor ball Handeling skills.

Jay Jones did it with hustle and maybe played his best game of the year, Ty Powell looks like he lost some confidence, two weeks ago this would have been a loss, IMHO..."

A diehard fan since 1961

2/02/2015 1:21 pm  #17

It is too bad that we win a game over a program that was in the NCAA Final 4 less than 10 years ago and there is little to no response! Of course if we had lost it would have been flooded with criticism.

Ugly games still count as Wins!

This weekend the Dukes head to Davidson, a program with Elite 8 pedigree who boasts a Top Current NBA player as their recruiting poster boy. And they still recently committed $15 million to upgrade their facility.

It is unfortunate how people think just a coaching change a bigger salary is true committment! Duquesne has been and still is woefully behind resource wise to the rest of the A10. And on top of that the program hasn't won consistently in 40+ years. We should be over funding the program to make up for our many disadvantages! Time for the school adminstration to wake up into the 21st century! Or retire

2/02/2015 2:27 pm  #18

DF79 over $1 million have been put into this program by alums since Ferry's arrival. I agree this isn't the total that's needed but I could ask on the other end of the conversation what payback has there been. We can go around and around about commitment and as has been pointed out in another thread this program is sorely lacking on many fronts. Ferry agreed to this situation as presented. I have no idea what promises where made but how about even a small step forward. I'm not sure anymore as to where this whole thing is headed but IMHO there are fewer and fewer who care.

2/02/2015 2:36 pm  #19

"It was very clear they want to be successful and it's very clear they're going to support it to be successful." Ferry said at the time of his hiring.

Does this sound like a statement made from someone who accepted the job anticipating no significant upgrades?

1 million has been put into the program since Ferry's arrival? There are multiple coaches in the league who make over a million a year in salary, and more than double our budgets.

Only the president and adminstration know the real truth on if the University is truly all in to support to the program or if they are clueless enough to just make a coaching change, raising the salary and automatically expect winning from a program that hasn't really won in 40-50 years. The chicken does not come before the egg ladies and gentlemen!

2/02/2015 2:45 pm  #20

Please tell me who the coaches you either know or think are the $1 million coaches in this league?  I'm sure everyone of them warrants that salary. This is a program bleeding money. I could argue that offering the increased commitment based on what was offered was excessive.

Last edited by The Dome (2/02/2015 2:46 pm)

2/02/2015 2:54 pm  #21

That is exactly the point...anyone who thinks that is excessive but disputes that we should join the Partriot League or NEC is kidding themselves.

The point in referencing salaries was to show how little 1 million dollars is (in this situation of course) in terms of a committment to a program.

Did the million dollars cover the paint on the wooden bleachers?

We all want the same thing here, but the bottom line is you can't not spend money and expect high level winning from a program that hasn't won in the last half century.

2/02/2015 3:06 pm  #22

DF79 I'm not sure what your point is? I agree that more needs to be done but I'll stick by the point that the return on the current investment is totally inadequate. Ferry's salary and budget for his staff is in line with many of our A-10 competitors.

Last edited by The Dome (2/02/2015 3:07 pm)

2/02/2015 3:34 pm  #23

All the money in the world won't help Ferry's 2-3 zone.

2/02/2015 4:02 pm  #24

Thank you a much more concise form of what I was struggling to point out!!!!

2/02/2015 4:33 pm  #25

We have kicked this around, and yes we all agree more could be done for facilities, but contray to what you say nobody is spending double what we spend in basketball expenses.  And if you look at the 2014 A10 basketball expenses there are a number of teams that spend less.  Please cut the crap about moving to the NEC.  This sounds like an excuse cooked up by the Athletic Department to deflect their poor performance. No offense here, just curious DukesFan, do you work for DU?

Men's Basketball Expenses
Virginia Commonwealth $5,378,609
Dayton $4,914,069
Richmond $4,201,009
Saint Louis $4,071,872
Saint Joseph's $4,005,528
Fordham $3,985,116
Massachusetts $3,913,716
Rhode Island $3,787,724
Duquesne $3,480,230
La Salle $3,159,614
George Washington $2,929,433