Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2015 8:00 pm  #26

Re: George Mason

Well said CLK!!  Look at the RPI's of the A-10 and the Northeast. VCU the top rated team in the A-10 is 9th with the tenth rated school Boonies at 157. St.  Francis at 147 leads the Northeast and more than half of the conference is below the Boonies and the Dukes at 243 the lowest rated A-10 team. This is not a solution but a bigger problem since you have no window for error you either win the conference or go home.

2/03/2015 7:20 pm  #27

DukesFan79 wrote:

That is exactly the point...anyone who thinks that is excessive but disputes that we should join the Partriot League or NEC is kidding themselves.

The point in referencing salaries was to show how little 1 million dollars is (in this situation of course) in terms of a committment to a program.

Did the million dollars cover the paint on the wooden bleachers?

We all want the same thing here, but the bottom line is you can't not spend money and expect high level winning from a program that hasn't won in the last half century.

What did Ron do for 5 of 6 years, oh thats right he won. Don't care what you pay when the current administration fires a winner and pays double for an NEC 500 record coach, you can't fix stupid! Stop the insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its the losing culture that could not be patient enough for the sudden winning program, Period, !, CAPS, Bold,italic,underscore ect...

2/03/2015 7:32 pm  #28

It's so bad I would think Amodio is given his walking papers come March.Competence sound management far outweighs throwing dollars down the bowl. The firing of Ron coupled with no coach in hand says all you need to know.

2/03/2015 7:53 pm  #29

DukesFan79 wrote:

It is too bad that we win a game over a program that was in the NCAA Final 4 less than 10 years ago and there is little to no response! Of course if we had lost it would have been flooded with criticism.

Ugly games still count as Wins!

This weekend the Dukes head to Davidson, a program with Elite 8 pedigree who boasts a Top Current NBA player as their recruiting poster boy. And they still recently committed $15 million to upgrade their facility.

It is unfortunate how people think just a coaching change a bigger salary is true committment! Duquesne has been
 and still is woefully behind resource wise to the rest of the A10. And on top of that the program hasn't won consistently in 40+ years. We should be over funding the program to make up for our many disadvantages! Time for the school adminstration to wake up into the 21st century! Or retire

So your saying we should gloat for beating a team worst than us, and you prepare us for a upcomming probable loss  when the 15mill commitment and NBA prospect is our next apponent. CLK I think your right 79 may work for the AD. Especially since you hold no one responsible in the AD department, but you want the curent administration to over fund the continued failure of your department. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2/04/2015 8:33 am  #30

Scotch - You are correct, ugly games count as wins, just as the many losses against lower division opponents count as losses..just as the AD who wouldn't have students and others get on a bus a number of years ago to go to a game prove how out of touch he can be...just as the AD overpaid a coach he didn't want as his first choice and is now failing miserably...just as the attendance compares to high school attendance.  Am I glad they won - as I said before - of course.  But the $ 600,000 salary of the head coach is competitive and the money WAS provided for that and it isn't working is it.  Right now, the building and other components is the least of the concerns for DU basketball.  We have an extremely poor product on the floor - all recruits from this coaching staff...one that blames the kids he recruited, with no comments from anyone at Duquesne; specifically the President, VP or even the AD which would surprise everyone if he actually had a quote in the paper about how the team is not performing how he hoped it would.

Last edited by FAM (2/04/2015 8:37 am)

2/04/2015 9:38 am  #31

I usually don't post, I just lurk and look. I am just ranting now. I have faithfully attended Dukes games since 1976. I have been a season ticket holder since 1981. Since then, I've missed at most 20 home games. My season tickets are just behind the bench. I go to the games now because they are opportunities for me to take one of my several young children for some one-on-one time. It seems as if no matter who is in charge at Duquesne, they fail miserably at building a basketball program. Yet they jump into scholarship football at the expense of minor mens sports that cost far less to run. That seems to be a waste of resources. And they lied about why they dropped all those sports. First it was to save money. Later we find out it is to meet Title IX requirements. Duquesne football will never be at the level of a Notre Dame or Boston College. Why do it?

Often I leave the games at the half if my kids are tired. Then I try to tune in on 1320 and some other game often is on. It seems like Amodio came in and was going great guns, now he seems to have the reverse Midas Touch. He can't even assure consistent coverage on the radio.

Duquesne is first and foremost a Catholic, academic institution. If it is focusing on that as its primary mission, all well and good. It must do so. But if its going to field a Division One basketball team, then do the job right. I liked Everhart, I liked John Carroll. Edgar, Porter and Nee left me cold. I want to see a team that fights to win every second of every minute. I don't want to see sloppy passes and failures to follow-up and get offensive rebounds, and there is no reason why everyone on that team should not be able to sink free throws and 3 pointers all night long.
Sorry for the rant. I will go back now to lurking and looking.

2/04/2015 1:41 pm  #32

LittleMan wrote: " I want to see a team that fights to win every second of every minute. I don't want to see sloppy passes and failures to follow-up and get offensive rebounds, and there is no reason why everyone on that team should not be able to sink free throws and 3 pointers all night long."

LittleMan, thanks for the post.  I commend you for being a die hard fan, not too many left.  Just about all  who are still left would agree with you that everything about the product being produce and marketed under the label of Duquesne Basketball is just plain embarrassing.  For a great Catholic University just sad and embarrassing!!!

2/04/2015 1:58 pm  #33

For those who are younger than 66, and this is ancient history, but........

Duquesne rose to Glory in the 1940's and thru the early 1970's as Pittsburghs one traditional winner. We were one of the first to recruit black kits in a big way with First Team All America's when they were the ones to get National Attention. Former Duquesne Center Gary Nelson once told me, " We were Pittsburgh's Only Winner" , he told me of folks stopping him on the street, shaking his hand and raving about Duquesne and awesome games at the Civic Arena.

That was all let slip away just when fame and glory meant big time money and helped fill the student ranks to our peers, Marguette, Villinova, Providence, St. John's , etc. We fell by the wayside and fertile recruiting in NYC dried up, back in 1954 we some time had five black kids on the floor at once, no one did that back then.
I think the Fathers didn't know what they left go and if Noble Dick had not left a trust fund for the school it may have folded, but big time basketball faded beginning the year Kinsey, Searcey and the other guard left in Big Trains class of 1969, NYC recruiting shut down and the Nestis of the school didn't really care.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/04/2015 2:50 pm  #34

Was the Maryland guard Bill Zopf?

2/04/2015 3:00 pm  #35

LittleMan wrote:

I usually don't post, I just lurk and look. I am just ranting now. I have faithfully attended Dukes games since 1976. I have been a season ticket holder since 1981. Since then, I've missed at most 20 home games. My season tickets are just behind the bench. I go to the games now because they are opportunities for me to take one of my several young children for some one-on-one time. .

You've been a season ticket holder since 1981 and you have "several young children."  Do you mean "grand children?"

if not then,

Dude! 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/04/2015 3:54 pm  #36

Tejas_Duke wrote:

LittleMan wrote:

I usually don't post, I just lurk and look. I am just ranting now. I have faithfully attended Dukes games since 1976. I have been a season ticket holder since 1981. Since then, I've missed at most 20 home games. My season tickets are just behind the bench. I go to the games now because they are opportunities for me to take one of my several young children for some one-on-one time. .

You've been a season ticket holder since 1981 and you have "several young children."  Do you mean "grand children?"

if not then,

Dude! 

I married late to a young wife.

2/04/2015 4:52 pm  #37

Phildog wrote:

Duquesne rose to Glory in the 1940's and thru the early 1970's as Pittsburghs one traditional winner. We were one of the first to recruit black kits in a big way with First Team All America's when they were the ones to get National Attention. Former Duquesne Center Gary Nelson once told me, " We were Pittsburgh's Only Winner" , he told me of folks stopping him on the street, shaking his hand and raving about Duquesne and awesome games at the Civic Arena.

That was all let slip away just when fame and glory meant big time money and helped fill the student ranks to our peers, Marguette, Villinova, Providence, St. John's , etc. We fell by the wayside and fertile recruiting in NYC dried up, back in 1954 we some time had five black kids on the floor at once, no one did that back then.
I think the Fathers didn't know what they left go and if Noble Dick had not left a trust fund for the school it may have folded, but big time basketball faded beginning the year Kinsey, Searcey and the other guard left in Big Trains class of 1969, NYC recruiting shut down and the Nestis of the school didn't really care.

Actually the other guard in the class was Dan Slater, who didn't leave Duquesne, just suffered a career-ending ankle injury.  He was a big guard from Monaca who had a lot of jumping ability and could shoot the ball.  Tough break for the Dukes and Slats.  That left "The Train" remaining from a nationally ranked recruiting class.  It was the beginning of the end; but failure to upgrade facilities when the iron was still hot, was also a major factor.  Lack of funds at Duquesne came at a bad time for basketball.  It was precisely the time to invest big-time in the program to maintain the lofty position in Eastern basketball.  Not much could be done, students were doing fundraising to keep the school from closing down.

2/04/2015 6:07 pm  #38

Levon,
I remember Dan Slater, he played briefly but that injury sapped his abilities. Ruben Montanez was another who benefited from the Senior System that allowed seasoned underclass men to excell in their Sr. year. I once saw Ruben go 10 for 10 from outside what would have been today's three point line, a strong 2 guard.

Well here we are hoping to win 10 games, and teams we yearly outclassed like Xavier, Seton Hall, etc are yearly winners, we once ran games into 100 point blowouts against them despite Red emptying the bench.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/04/2015 10:05 pm  #39

Phildog wrote:

Actually, you're a decade off. Duquesne rose to prominance in the early 30's under our greatest coach, the one who built the program, Chick Davies.
Also, having so many black kids was part of the downfall of the program. There were complaints from some of the alums, and the program was quietly downgraded after Si Green left. Fletcher Johnson talked about how they probably lost the NIT in 1954, because Dudey didn't want to anger the alums by putting more than 3 black players on the floor at one time. It's a shame too, because we would have been consensus National Champions had we won in 54, as we were ranked well ahead of NCAA Champ LaSalle going into postseason play. In 55, no one really thought we were better than San Francisco, which was probably the greatest team of the decade. After this, we were still good, but never again the type of first tier power we were in the decade after WWII.

2/05/2015 8:21 am  #40

duq81 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Actually, you're a decade off. Duquesne rose to prominance in the early 30's under our greatest coach, the one who built the program, Chick Davies.
Also, having so many black kids was part of the downfall of the program. There were complaints from some of the alums, and the program was quietly downgraded after Si Green left. Fletcher Johnson talked about how they probably lost the NIT in 1954, because Dudey didn't want to anger the alums by putting more than 3 black players on the floor at one time. It's a shame too, because we would have been consensus National Champions had we won in 54, as we were ranked well ahead of NCAA Champ LaSalle going into postseason play. In 55, no one really thought we were better than San Francisco, which was probably the greatest team of the decade. After this, we were still good, but never again the type of first tier power we were in the decade after WWII.

And there was also the sad correlating fact that went with that, the fact that with a dearth of African American females on campus, there was a lot of alumni, not to mention sadly official administration, discomfort with those players dating white girls.  (I've gotten that fact from more than a few good sources, including my late uncle who was a Spiritan)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/05/2015 9:09 am  #41

levon1975 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

Actually the other guard in the class was Dan Slater, who didn't leave Duquesne, just suffered a career-ending ankle injury.  He was a big guard from Monaca who had a lot of jumping ability and could shoot the ball.  Tough break for the Dukes and Slats.  That left "The Train" remaining from a nationally ranked recruiting class.  It was the beginning of the end; but failure to upgrade facilities when the iron was still hot, was also a major factor.  Lack of funds at Duquesne came at a bad time for basketball.  It was precisely the time to invest big-time in the program to maintain the lofty position in Eastern basketball.  Not much could be done, students were doing fundraising to keep the school from closing down.

---------------
The other guard that left was Donnie White. Went to Maryland.  

2/05/2015 4:20 pm  #42

Phildog wrote:

Levon,
I remember Dan Slater, he played briefly but that injury sapped his abilities. Ruben Montanez was another who benefited from the Senior System that allowed seasoned underclass men to excell in their Sr. year. I once saw Ruben go 10 for 10 from outside what would have been today's three point line, a strong 2 guard.

Well here we are hoping to win 10 games, and teams we yearly outclassed like Xavier, Seton Hall, etc are yearly winners, we once ran games into 100 point blowouts against them despite Red emptying the bench.

RIght Phil,
Xavier was penciled in as a guaranteed win, Seton Hall played in some silly gym with volleyball lines all over it, and had an awful program.  Georgetown, wasn't even on the radar, not even a player.  I also recall during the early seventies, the Dukes going into the Garden and blowing out St. Johns, scoring 100 on them!

2/05/2015 4:28 pm  #43

applecorps wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Phildog wrote:

---------------
The other guard that left was Donnie White. Went to Maryland.  

Donnie White, from Penn Hall Academy; I rememeber him, but I seem to recall that he may never have actually enrolled at Duquesne.  Could be wrong, but I thought he was in some kind of scrape in the old gym and Red showed him the door.

2/05/2015 5:02 pm  #44

I recollect that he showed himslef to the door after a fight with another player. This was during fall semester, well before the season began.

2/05/2015 6:30 pm  #45

I heard that too about Steve McHugh and a butt kicking.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/06/2015 1:02 am  #46

"I also recall during the early seventies, the Dukes going into the Garden and blowing out St. Johns, scoring 100 on them!"

I've been following the Dukes since the '67-68 season and I could certainly be wrong, but I'm not sure Duquesne ever broke the century-mark against St. John's in the Garden.  You might be thinking of the game at the Garden against St. Peter's in February 1973, the first game in a doubleheader that featured a nightcap between North Carolina and Florida State. 

In any case, Red Manning's Dukes shattered their old scoring record of 123 (set against St. Vincent's a few years earlier) by putting up 127 points against the Peacocks.  The final score was 127-85.  Ruben Montanez, Duquesne's 6-2 senior guard who had been on a tear during the previous ten games, put on a shooting exhibition that delighted the New York crowd, hitting 15 of 17 shots from the floor in that lopsided contest.  Lionel "Big Train" Billingy scored 23 and Oscar Jackson — one of my all-time favorite Dukes — added 18.  The Dukes, who scored 70 points in the second half, probably would have scored more than 130 points in that game were it not for some relatively poor free-throw shooting, making just 7 of 16 attempts from the charity stripe, many of them the front end of a one-and-one.  The Dukes were 13-6 at the time and fighting for a postseason bid.  They really wanted to impress the NIT selection committee.  Ah, how I miss those days.

Go Iron Dukes! 

Last edited by IronDukes12 (2/06/2015 2:02 am)

2/06/2015 5:00 am  #47

Then, IronDukes12, you probably remember (I graduated 69 and never missed a home game) when the students would line up upoutside (regardless of weather) in the back student entrance of the civic area for the civic area gates to open. And when the arena opened, student representives from all of the social groups on campus would run at top speed trowing jackets, towels clothes (whatever they could get their hands on) over seats in a section and yell, "this section's saved" and groups like the greeks, playboys, rogues, shieks would eventuall begin to fill that section just before the Duquesne freshman game. At that time, we just took it for granted that we would clobber whatever visiting team that day so it was one big party -- As the song goes, "Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end..."
Still a season tix holder, just older and grumpier about the team.

2/06/2015 8:32 am  #48

The students seemed to keep a beach ball on the air the whole game, Mossie would stand at a moment the Dukes needed to Rally and said "Are you Ready?" Ahhhhhhhh Shooo Shoo, Rah Rah...............

I thought that was the coolest cheer in the world, we would be stomping  on the floor, and looking at our heroes Mikey, Jarrett the Jewel, the Giant Nelson Twins, Moe Barr and all, top college players with a winner of a coach .........glory years,  indeed.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/06/2015 6:05 pm  #49

I can hardly watch the Dukes now.  But the above stories get me going.  Was there ever a tougher kid pound for pound the Steve McHugh?  The Dukes could use five of him.   Recently noticed the passing of Marvin Barnes.  Was there ever a better Duquesne game?   Norman brough Marvin over to my apartment after we beat them (Providence).   Was there ever whackier party than that night?   For those of you who were there, from Frenchy Fuqua to the guy walking down the street...sorry.  I have some explaining to do at the Pearly Gates -- which seem closer than Duquesne's rise from the basketball ashes.

2/06/2015 6:54 pm  #50

Yes the current state of affairs is pathetic. But it is nice to read these posts. Although they are before my time. 

Question:  was Mossie Murphy just a big fan who did that cheer?  Or was he an influential donor as well?

Did he get along with the administration when the program nosedived or did he butt heads with them?

Board footera