Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2015 4:36 pm  #26

Re: GW

NapaDuke wrote:

Simms wrote:

I agree with Ritters.  I refuse to get excited from one game.  Plus, I heard Ray say, "Wide open, missed it." way too often last night.  It sounded like we got lucky a lot.  

Agree, the Dukes offense was much improved, but that zone only works on teams that can't shoot the 3's and are determined to work to the paint like GW did last nite. Ferry has got to get a man to man defense going.  You can't force many turnovers sitting back in a zone, leaving your opponent no pressure, vs man to man.  If I were Ferry, I'd use the rest of the season to build next years team, and if, like he thinks, some players on this team can't play man to man, don't play them. Find some why to play pressure defense now for next year, almost all these players are coming back.

Generally agree, but I'm sure you  noticed that the zone was much more agressive, and even trapped along the sideline successfully a few times.  That is what I've been waiting for out of the zone, a few little variations that can create some turnovers.   Pressure defense usually falls back into a zone, so maybe that would be easier to work into the mix rather than going back to the straight man-to-man.

2/12/2015 10:05 pm  #27

Levon,

Enjoy your posts also and no offense was taken, since we are both hooked on Duquesne basketball we all suffer together.

I think these kids are playing hard and am glad for their success when ever they get it.

My frustration is that if the right people were at Duquesne we would have been and still be a Villanova.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/12/2015 11:39 pm  #28

levon1975 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Simms wrote:

I agree with Ritters.  I refuse to get excited from one game.  Plus, I heard Ray say, "Wide open, missed it." way too often last night.  It sounded like we got lucky a lot.  

Agree, the Dukes offense was much improved, but that zone only works on teams that can't shoot the 3's and are determined to work to the paint like GW did last nite. Ferry has got to get a man to man defense going.  You can't force many turnovers sitting back in a zone, leaving your opponent no pressure, vs man to man.  If I were Ferry, I'd use the rest of the season to build next years team, and if, like he thinks, some players on this team can't play man to man, don't play them. Find some why to play pressure defense now for next year, almost all these players are coming back.

Generally agree, but I'm sure you  noticed that the zone was much more agressive, and even trapped along the sideline successfully a few times.  That is what I've been waiting for out of the zone, a few little variations that can create some turnovers.   Pressure defense usually falls back into a zone, so maybe that would be easier to work into the mix rather than going back to the straight man-to-man.

Yes, I did notice a supprising agressive approach from the zone last night too.  Ferry needs to work in some man to man this year, because this zone mainly is working on poor perimeter shooting teams, but many teams have not been bothered by it and in fact probably perform better against it, than if they faced a pressing man to man defense. I'd be very happy to see a mix out of this team. If they supprise a few teams down the stretch with some man to man, they may win more than we expect.       

Board footera