Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2015 12:39 pm  #1

Davidson

This has been a very long, exhausting, disappointing, season. The early season losses to the likes of St. Francis, NJ IT, UMBC and Robert Morris took the steam out of the season early. Frustrating losses to St. Bonaventure and Rhode Island, and the thrashing we took on most away games made us all question where this program was heading. The Dukes bounce back somewhat in February and have one last chance with Davidson to make a statement about the future. On the other hand Davidson could have their bubble burst with the loss to Duquesne. I am hoping that the Dukes come out and play like they did against Dayton at home and burst Davidson's bubble. A victory against Davidson and a win or two in the A-10 Tourney would also provide me some hope that Ferry's Dukes can make a big move up next year in the A-10 and become a contender the following year.

3/06/2015 2:15 pm  #2

Re: Davidson

Well just like last year the team got better near the end of the year.

The disaster of OOC losses came, IMHO, of starting Mason at the point, benching DoMo , rushing the JC kid and the freshman into roles they were not ready for. It you look at the min that Coulter, Mason and yes even Jones are getting the better play makes sense in conference play.

I don't know why the play dropped to nothing on the point/2 guard from Cleveland this year, he can penetrate, but I guess he will transfer this year.

A couple more wins would give a little more hope for next year. They will face a strong field in the Gulf Coast Classic around Thanksgiving this November in Ft Myers, Fl. So no easy OCC in 15-16!

A diehard fan since 1961

3/06/2015 2:38 pm  #3

Nice post CLK - my biggest disappointmeant is when I saw the schedule and all of the allegedly "CUPCAKES" we were going to play out of conference at the beginning of the year.  If I recall, others voiced the same thoughts.   My thoughts were that beating these teams (cupcakes) would mean that we would not be prepared against the better teams in the conference.  Well, we didn't beat the so-called cupcakes!  Then, I thought we would beat Robert Morris and we did not.  The way Pitt has been this year I thought we could have beaten them, and I was wrong again.  

Well, Davidson is Saturday night.  We play good at home and it is the last home game.  I sure hope we win Saturday night!

Last edited by FAM (3/06/2015 2:42 pm)

3/06/2015 3:50 pm  #4

Did anyone see how Davidson completely destroyed VCU last night?  It was a clinic, especially on the offensive side; the vaunted Havoc defense, even without Weber, was shredded by Davidson.

A Davidson win vs, the Dukes ensures them of the #1 seed in the A-10 conference championship.  If there is one thiing going for the Dukes, it's another opponent (like Dayton) who played late Thursday night and then turns around to play the Dukes in Pittsburgh on Saturday.

3/07/2015 1:10 pm  #5

There is actually an article in the PG on the game tonight.  Though I know it is coach-speak and I would not expect any coach to say anything different than when Ferry said the basketball program has taken major strides this year, I do not agree.  Maybe I define major strides differently than he describes major strides.  There is no doubt that this season, they have improved and I do think they can win tonight.  But the overall program, in my lowly opinion, has not taken major strides.  Next year (gee folks, how many times have we said next year over the past 20 years) will define the program as far as making major strides.  Good Luck Tonight Dukes!  I'll be cheering you on.

Last edited by FAM (3/07/2015 1:11 pm)

3/07/2015 1:56 pm  #6

FAM wrote:

There is actually an article in the PG on the game tonight.  Though I know it is coach-speak and I would not expect any coach to say anything different than when Ferry said the basketball program has taken major strides this year, I do not agree.  Maybe I define major strides differently than he describes major strides.  There is no doubt that this season, they have improved and I do think they can win tonight.  But the overall program, in my lowly opinion, has not taken major strides.  Next year (gee folks, how many times have we said next year over the past 20 years) will define the program as far as making major strides.  Good Luck Tonight Dukes!  I'll be cheering you on.

The "major strides" quote got me too, FAM.  I sure don't think losing to NJIT, SFU, RMU and UMES represent "major strides on the right direction".  Those are major strides in the WRONG DIRECTION, Jim!  Had we won those games, along with the games at Penn State and St. Louis plus the home games against URI and SBU then I would think we were moving in the right direction (all games that a "next level" coach should have been able to inspire his team to win, in my opinion).  At best we have stagnated this year.  And that is the fault of the coaching staff.

3/07/2015 2:19 pm  #7

Be careful blaming the coaching staff VBC, you may get the dreaded Grammudder rant!

3/07/2015 2:27 pm  #8

Hear, Hear, VBC.

3/07/2015 3:06 pm  #9

This is my first Dukes game of the season (and the past three years) that I am attending.  Driving up with my fiance and going with my future best man.  Very excited, even though I know it will be a tough out.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/07/2015 3:41 pm  #10

VBC has much, too much class for me or anyone else to rant at.  I save that expecially for you FAM.  You have earned that special place in my heart of hearts and have deservedly earned the right to be ranted at.  

3/07/2015 4:44 pm  #11

Grammy & FAM please stop.

St. Joe's lost to Rhode Island, if Duquesne beats Davidson, the Dukes will get the 10 seed in the A-10 tourney.  That would make a "major" statement, and not self serving BS.

3/07/2015 5:06 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

St. Joe's lost to Rhode Island, if Duquesne beats Davidson, the Dukes will get the 10 seed in the A-10 tourney.  That would make a "major" statement, and not self serving BS.

A win tonight would certainly be a step in the right direction.  I really think it's imperative for that to happen.  If Ferry is going to be the coach who gets us back to the NCAA tournament he must be able to coach the team to a win tonight.  This is an opportunity that can not be allowed to slip by.

3/07/2015 7:14 pm  #13

Biggest game of the year for the Dukes and the video stream not working.

3/07/2015 7:43 pm  #14

You are too easy to bait mudder.  Not much of a challenge.
Ferry is always complaining that we are so young. Davidson has only two seniors and only one plays much. No defense. No defense. No defense. So much for a program gain.

3/07/2015 7:46 pm  #15

Well so much for that.  Four red shirts around every DU miss and red shirts standing alone for uncontested threes!

Yeah Jim major strides!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/07/2015 7:49 pm  #16

I'm sitting right behind Duq bench today.  Half ended on 25-3 run.  Say what?!  Yep couldn't believe it

3/07/2015 7:53 pm  #17

Man that was a disgusting 1st half. Had to e-mail DU and finally got the video strem working. The Dukes swiss cheese defense. Gill is killing us on both ends of the court. 

3/07/2015 7:56 pm  #18

Three in the air, good again for Davidson. Davidson is everything we're not.

3/07/2015 8:32 pm  #19

I'm on the other side. Ferry can't compete with this coach  This 2-3 defense sure works well Ferry. Can't wait for the Teflon man excuses tonight. Since they are younger than us he can't use that one. My bad. Yes he can

3/07/2015 8:38 pm  #20

Wow is Davidson good.  Our guys aren't smart enough to guard their offense. Played well first 12 minites. It would be nice to win a game or 2 in Brooklyn. Their offense is so good they put 70 up on Virginia.

3/07/2015 9:00 pm  #21

Now you see why I'd be interested in someone from their staff. They are a well coached team, something that can't really be said about the bulk of the teams in the A10.

3/07/2015 9:27 pm  #22

Good call but who in their right mind would come to Duquesne with Amodio As AD.

3/07/2015 9:31 pm  #23

Missed the game, Fl visitors in town, but looked at box score. 61 % fg , 55 % from 3 land, no wonder we lost by 31 and this is only a bubble team?

Duquesne has a long way to go to be even mediocre.

And I am just thinkin why do any posters take shots at each other, we suffer enough following this program.

I respect all of you and value your thoughts and posts. Amen😎

A diehard fan since 1961

3/07/2015 9:33 pm  #24

IronDuke you are correct!  Funny, I saw him around when the first half was close and didn't see him in the second. Davidson is very good along with their coach and program.

Phil, I wondered the same thing when mudder started attacking. I should not have responded to his rants.
-I am sick of Ferrys excuses. 
The crowd had many folks from Davidson and they were a classy group. 
-ferry's  excuses drive me crazy!
-Davidson was an awesome team to watch  I hope they go far.

Last edited by FAM (3/07/2015 9:45 pm)

3/07/2015 10:21 pm  #25

Phildog wrote:

Missed the game, Fl visitors in town, but looked at box score. 61 % fg , 55 % from 3 land, no wonder we lost by 31 and this is only a bubble team?

Duquesne has a long way to go to be even mediocre.

And I am just thinkin why do any posters take shots at each other, we suffer enough following this program.

I respect all of you and value your thoughts and posts. Amen😎

I missed it too, but looking at the box score, you would think the Dukes put up enough offensively to win the game, but the Dukes defense is non-existant.  

Board footera