Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2015 10:58 pm  #26

Re: Davidson

I was there tonight, just my 2nd game of the year.  I used to be there for about half of the home schedule each season, but I'm finding this so hard to watch these past 3 seasons.  Davidson's 3-point shooters were so wide open our guys might as well have taken their pictures while they were shooting.

Ferry just ain't gonna get it done here.  I just watched his press conference on the official site.  It's almost as if he found nothing wrong with the defense tonight, it was Davidson's lights-out shooting, which he didn't expect, & all we had to do was keep pace with them in scoring after it was 30-30.  We gave up 107 points, for cryin' out loud!

Oh, & he did throw in a mention of how he had the #2 & #4 scoring teams in the nation at LIU in different seasons.  In an earlier interview, he talked about how his teams at LIU always had great road records.  He's starting to remind me of when Jim Tracy managed the Pirates, constantly talking about his Dodgers teams.  We know how well Tracy worked out. 

3/07/2015 10:59 pm  #27

duq81 wrote:

Now you see why I'd be interested in someone from their staff. They are a well coached team, something that can't really be said about the bulk of the teams in the A10.

That shoe certainly fits our program well.

A very disappointing end to a season in which we clearly took a step backwards.

It was disheartening to have so many Davidson fans whooping it up at Palumbo tonight.  I had two right beside me in the middle of the best seats in Palumbo Center.  They were good fans cheering for their team in an arena where the home fans have had precious little to cheer about for two generations.  But they should not have been sitting next to me.  Those seats should have been filled by Duquesne fans.

They used to be filled by Duquesne fans.  For years as part of my group which was 10 guys holding 11 tickets in two rows.  Now it's 3 guys holding 5 tickets.  But in recent years those seats were filled with part of another group of fans who had been together since Palumbo opened.  A group of Duquesne employees that lost and added members over the years but always filled those seats. 

That group did not renew this year.  I saw some of them tonight, but now they buy tickets for individual games and show up irregularly.  Why pay the extra money for the premium seats when you get this kind of product and empty promises year after year is what I was told by one of the long time members of that group earlier in the year. 

So now the seats that had been in the hands of the people who helped keep this embarassment if a program afloat for so long are available to whomever wants them because Duquesne fans just don't have anything to cheer for anymore.  There may be two more open next year.  The people running the men's basketball program certainly don't inspire the confidence in me that things will be getting better anytime soon.   

3/08/2015 12:23 am  #28

I usually look forward to the A-10 Tourney, hoping for another miracle like the one that took place during the old Eastern Eight tournament in Philadelphia in '76-77.  I know it'll never happen, but what else is there for a long-suffering fan to look forward to?

If last night's debacle against Davidson was any indication of what we can expect in Brooklyn, the Dukes will probably be back in Pittsburgh by Thursday. 

St. Louis couldn't buy a long-range bucket against Richmond last night, connecting on only 4 of 18 shots from beyond the arc.  Come Wednesday, however, the poor-shooting Billikens will probably hit fourteen or fifteen treys against Duquesne's vaunted LHTM defense, suddenly demonstrating a 3-point shooting ability that's escaped them the entire season. 

Trust me, they'll launch a ton of them.  After all, they launched 26 against the Dukes in St. Louis and 21 when they played at Palumbo.  In fact, the forty-seven 3-point attempts in those two games represented a season high (26) and the third highest (21) put up by the Billikens during the entire season.  (They also launched 24 against Vanderbilt in late December, but that was a game in which they fell behind by double-digits midway through the first half.)

LET'S HOPE THEY MISS!  It's our only chance with Jim Ferry's "No D" Dukes.    

3/08/2015 10:42 pm  #29

Embarrassed. Quitters.

Board footera