Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2015 8:07 am  #1

3/08/2015 9:26 am  #2

Re: Dejan Kovacevic - Article

Phoenix: I see you made no comment. Neither will I. The article says it all.

3/08/2015 9:59 am  #3

Wow I thought the blame Charlie & Father Hogan game for Amodios  failures would begin August 2016 when the new President ask him at their first meeting  why bottom A-10 why 0-11 vs Pitt 3-8 vs. RMU zero fan & student support. Why why why.? Answer? It,s Charlie's fault he never understood ......oh yeah did I mention Father Hogan he is also the problem.. Dr. Murray yeah he died but it began with him. Does anyone in their right mind believe DJ came up with his conclusions without first talking to our boy GA? Father Shawn & Charlie enjoy your retirement because the blame game is just beginning.

3/08/2015 10:05 am  #4

Totally accurate and depressing article.  Scary how clueless they are at Duquesne.  Fools and their money are soon parted.  That is what supporters of men's basketball are.

This fool is done with men's bb at DU permanently.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/08/2015 10:09 am)

3/08/2015 10:13 am  #5

Can't wait for people to start attacking the article.

3/08/2015 10:16 am  #6

Ironduke1981 wrote:

Wow I thought the blame Charlie & Father Hogan game for Amodios failures would begin August 2016 when the new President ask him at their first meeting why bottom A-10 why 0-11 vs Pitt 3-8 vs. RMU zero fan & student support. Why why why.? Answer? It,s Charlie's fault he never understood ......oh yeah did I mention Father Hogan he is also the problem.. Dr. Murray yeah he died but it began with him. Does anyone in their right mind believe DJ came up with his conclusions without first talking to our boy GA? Father Shawn & Charlie enjoy your retirement because the blame game is just beginning.

Hogan has long been known to be one of the major problems. Don't try to let him off the hook so easily. The buck always stops at the top. Charlie didn't have to fire Ron, nor did he have to extend GA. Dejan is correct. The problems start at the top. We need for the new president to come in and grab the bull by the horns the way Gallagher has done at Pitt.

3/08/2015 10:29 am  #7

I've been saying this for quite some time. Dejan is absolutely correct. Obviously our defense was atrocious last night and has no relevance  to my post. He's right, the school provides next to nothing financing. The financing  the admin provides, they  thinks is sufficient and enough to "complete" in the A10 but nothing to separate themselves from the rest of the schools. Richmond remodeled their arena, dayton new practice facility, Umass brand new prwctice facility, saint Louis brand new arena, URI fairly new arena, Davidson is even building a new practice facility, VCU just renovated their arena AND is building a new practice facility, GW has a new arena. Charlie should go to Dayton, Bonaventure, VCU, GW, Richmond Etc and see how they run a program, and now they care about basketball.   I wonder why there isn't s foreign trip scheduled? There's talk about bleachers being removed, but who knows if that's true.  Charlie and Father Hogan simply could care less about athletics. Why do you think no coach has won at duquesne in the last 40 years? Sure RE had a few good years at duquesne, undebatable. Still he took us to a NIT and 2 CBI, not the big dance like we all wanted.  Everyone says the school has good enough facilities, better than other schools in the league. Sure that is correct but if a recruit has the chance to play at Duquesne or Bonaventure he's gonna choose Bona and play infront of a sold out crowd every game. My point, DUQ basketball has no identity, and hasn't had a identity for quite some time. Firing coaches and AD's is not the solution, ferry, RE, Knee, Porter, Edgar and Caroll must have just been awful coaches, right(knee sucked)?  It's tough to find people to accept those Jobs at Duquesne.  Basketball can earn Duquesne money like I have also said before. Spend money to make money. Put out a decent product on the hardwood and attract students and fans.  The school would rather give scholarship money to all students than to spend money on basketball. I feel bad for the players, coaches and the fans that have gone through this for 40 years, It's not going to change until the president steps down. Simply tired of the administration at Duquesne and can only hope the new president cares about Basketball or it will be the same (profanity) for another 40 years.

3/08/2015 10:38 am  #8

Watching the video of Ferry answering a question brought to mind a quote from a Duquesne coach:

"We're making giant strides toward being a competitive ball team. We stayed with the No. 13 team in the country. People who have been doubting us and doubting this program … a blind man could see that we're making strides."
-  Danny Nee, 02/27/03

We all know how that one ended.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (3/08/2015 10:38 am)

3/08/2015 10:58 am  #9

I still remember John Carroll, at his firing, basically saying how Hogan fell asleep during the meeting.  And this clown is still anywhere near the Athletic Department is the height of idiocy.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/08/2015 11:00 am  #10

Any defense of Dougherty or hogan is laughable.

3/08/2015 11:38 am  #11

PRAISE THE LORD!  duqkurt, phil, and others we have been saying this one way or another not for days - or months - or weeks but years.  duqkurt, you really don't think anyone is clueless enough to attack this article?  I would like to say I can't imagine but you never know.  The only written word better than this would be if this were printed in the PG daily paper!!!!!!  Let's hope that the new President and others get a copy of this.   Let's hope this article makes it to the daily papers!!!

Last edited by FAM (3/08/2015 11:38 am)

3/08/2015 11:48 am  #12

Bill Presutti writes:  

"You hit the nail right on the head. One correction: the decline started in the late 1980's when newly installed president John Murray put Fr. Hogan in charge of bb. Hogan had zero experience with D1 sports and neither saw bb anything more than an extracurricular activity.Although current President Dougherty shares some of the blame, he did increase resources to the program. His big mistake was in hiring Greg Amodio as AD. True, he hired Everhart, the only coach in the last 30 plus years with a winning record, he also fired him in addition to the damage he has done to the athletic program in general.I have watched all of this up close as a member of the faculty for the past nearly 30 years before me retirement in my retirement in 2012.I recently finished writing a case study of DU bb to be presented at a professional conference later this month. It's title: "How To Take a Brand and Ruin It."

I served on the original Dukes Court board with Bill and others for  a lengthy time (over 25 years).  Both DK and he are spot on in their assessments.  BC, his coaches and others were absolutely powerless to Father "No", Dr. Murray and their successors in interest.  Despite all that JF is the first coach who   I've seen in 40 years who knows how a program ought to be sustained,  I am not, I repeat, not, saying he has sustained a program yet.  Despite W's and L's record during JF's coaching tenure, there can be no doubting the steady up-tick in talent. If the basketball gods care at all about Duquesne. then the new president will be innagurated with a jock-strap appended underneath his ceremonial gown.  The first and best step was to get Fr. No out of the post of "Student Life" director.  You folks will never, never, never, know the heartache and grief that prior coaches and athletic administrative heads and yearlings have gone through during that tenure.   I know,  I was there!!!!  And all were powerless to do anything about it.  

3/08/2015 11:53 am  #13

Dejan is right on point in my view. Only the most ardent koolaid drinkers would argue that this program has advanced.  Are you kidding me 338 out of 345 in team defense, and some people are trying to sell that this team is getting better.  I have to tell you I am worn out.  

3/08/2015 12:11 pm  #14

Was it Red Manning or Hogan who wouldn't entertain hiring Gary Williams a "long" while ago?

Before I retired,  I got asked to teach at some of the local universities at times due to my "other life" during the day.  At Pitt, my graduate students would ask to leave early to go to a game or would talk about sports.  The classes I taught at Duquesne, I don't know if they knew we had a team.  It was soooo sad!  
I liked how the article pointed out how well Dayton and Robert Morris have done.  It brings pride to a University.

Last edited by FAM (3/08/2015 12:17 pm)

3/08/2015 12:35 pm  #15

FAM wrote:

Was it Red Manning or Hogan who wouldn't entertain hiring Gary Williams a "long" while ago?

Before I retired,  I got asked to teach at some of the local universities at times due to my "other life" during the day.  At Pitt, my graduate students would ask to leave early to go to a game or would talk about sports.  The classes I taught at Duquesne, I don't know if they knew we had a team.  It was soooo sad!  
I liked how the article pointed out how well Dayton and Robert Morris have done.  It brings pride to a University.

Red was driving Williams to the airport after the interview, and he made it clear to Williams that he was still calling the shots on the Bluff. Williams quickly saw the light, and ended up at BC. Red was fired, but the damage had been done.

3/08/2015 2:46 pm  #16

FAM wrote:

PRAISE THE LORD!  duqkurt, phil, and others we have been saying this one way or another not for days - or months - or weeks but years.  duqkurt, you really don't think anyone is clueless enough to attack this article?  I would like to say I can't imagine but you never know.  The only written word better than this would be if this were printed in the PG daily paper!!!!!!  Let's hope that the new President and others get a copy of this.   Let's hope this article makes it to the daily papers!!!

First thing out of his mouth was a link to Dejan article he wrote questioning the Pirates

I KNEW he would take a shot at the author. If you don't know who "he" is, you haven't been reading these boards long enough.  I knew when that article came out the first thing he would do was post something negative about the author. 

It won't make daily papers, Dejan is independent pay for view author.

And it was like shooting fish in a barrel, because minutes after I made my comment he went after the author.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/08/2015 2:49 pm)

3/08/2015 4:15 pm  #17

• The administration at Old Main talks a good game but backs it up with next to nothing in financing. What’s worse, the financing that is provided usually arrives in a haphazard way, meaning only when a situation becomes untenable.

This is the most spot on piece of this article to me.  This athletic department is always reactive never proactive.  NEVER. 

You have numerous examples of this. 

The fact that they send cheerleaders and the band to A10 tourney games only AFTER fans pitched a fit caused we were embarrassed by the lack of them during the RE final run.  If people don't Complain, they still wouldn't send them.

The fact that they addressed webcasts only AFTER posters pitched fits.  And it takes CLK telling them yesterday they weren't live.  How do they not know this?

I am currently having an email discussion with Julie Fantaske, the Learfield Sports rep for Duquesne.  I sent her a message complaining about the radio contract and the fact the SBU road game was not on WJAS as listed in the website and press release .  She blamed it on "heavy technical difficulties".  Raise your hand if you have ever got the "technical difficulties" excuse when complaining about something.  Here was the technical difficultly ....... no one gave a damn at DU cared to see if WJAS or Iheart was picking up the game until people here bitched. 

She also told me in an email dated 3/3 that "Learfield did extensive radio research AFTER 104.7 made the switch to country."   Again AFTER.   104.7, ESPN 970 and 3WS are all Clear Channel stations.   Anyone being proactive in this contract in any way, shape, or form would not have been caught unaware of the format change.   They are all a part of the same company.   

Of couse I sent Amodio this email as well with my questions and he had no response.  He let her take all the heat. 

I plan on taking her response to her superiors at Learfield.  I was going to drop it but the "heavy technical difficulties" excuse just sent me a little bit over the edge.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/08/2015 4:20 pm)

3/08/2015 4:54 pm  #18

Thanks duqkurt. I send the article to the PG writer who covers the Dukes and he returned my email saying he read it and that after he has time to speak with some folks he is going to address the decline of DU basketball after the season. He is going to be a  help to report the truth. I hope he stays. I also understand that some folks were sending the article to the AD and a few of the coaches. I do want to commend everyone on this board for never attacking the players themselves.

3/08/2015 6:04 pm  #19

I've been trying to explain for years on both boards that Father Hogan has wielded dictatorial power at Duquesne for the last 30 years about the same time that we lost our basketball program.  Remember he is the link to the Holy Ghost Fathers, and he has been able to dictate policy at Duquesne for years.  Any attempts to improve the basketball program are minimized by Hogan.  Nothing will open up unless he is gone.  What is worse is that they announced recently that even though he stepping down from his current position that he is staying involved in the Universty in some other role.  That was the worst news possible.  He will continue to be the kiss of death for Mens Basketball at Duquesne.  It is so sad that apparently everyone including the President is afraid to cross him.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/08/2015 6:12 pm)

3/08/2015 6:24 pm  #20

duqkurt wrote:

I am sorry to disagree I know I have been branded as a bad guy trouble maker for my views on our AD. Duquesne U has provided all four of my. Children with a great education. Yes as a DU grad there was only one option Duquesne! 6 year programs = a lot of tuition $ but it was worth every penny & personal sacrifice. The personal attacks which will increase on Father Hogan & Charlie sickens me. If you ran a corporation & the Director of Operations had continuously failed he or she is fired.by the CFO.look objectively over the last 10 years Father Hogan had nothing to do with this mess. As for Charlie although I disagreed with his decision to fire Ron he has done a very good job as President. Amodio  survives new president this program continues as a joke & Father Hogan & Charlie gets the blame. Sorry Charlie & Father Hogan have done a great job.

3/08/2015 6:41 pm  #21

Ironduke1981 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

I am sorry to disagree I know I have been branded as a bad guy trouble maker for my views on our AD. Duquesne U has provided all four of my. Children with a great education. Yes as a DU grad there was only one option Duquesne! 6 year programs = a lot of tuition $ but it was worth every penny & personal sacrifice. The personal attacks which will increase on Father Hogan & Charlie sickens me. If you ran a corporation & the Director of Operations had continuously failed he or she is fired.by the CFO.look objectively over the last 10 years Father Hogan had nothing to do with this mess. As for Charlie although I disagreed with his decision to fire Ron he has done a very good job as President. Amodio  survives new president this program continues as a joke & Father Hogan & Charlie gets the blame. Sorry Charlie & Father Hogan have done a great job.

If GA isn't getting the job done, then it is okay to give Hogan And Dougherty a pass?  They have no responsibility at all to ensure he is doing his job right?? 

One or both of them (depending on who you listen to) is ultimately in charge, so why shouldn't they be held responsible?  They are responsible. They are in charge of the whole university.   Not just the departments doing well. 

And where have there been personal attacks on Dougherty or Hogan you speak of?  Saying they are doing a lousy job in terms of the Athletic Department isn't exactly a personal attack.  It is a fact. 

Dougherty extended GA's contract.  Not me,not you and not posters on the other board. He is the person ultimately responsible.  If he lets Hogan call the shots, it is on Dougherty.  No one else.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/08/2015 7:03 pm)

3/08/2015 6:50 pm  #22

This entire situation is such a mess.  If only the people at Duquesne felt as strongly about this situation (posters who I agree with and disagree with) as much we wouldn't be in this situation and at each other's throats.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/08/2015 7:19 pm)

3/08/2015 7:37 pm  #23

IronDuke, I have a question and it is respectful and I am not trying to disregard your personal opinion. Who specifically do you believe is accountable for the terrible men's basketball program?  It is run by people so people, who you believe they are, are accountable? Who do you believe fall under this?
Thanks

3/09/2015 7:59 pm  #24

A co-worker told me that last night on one of the local news stations, they showed a list of the "local teams" & who they would be playing in the first round of their respective conference tournaments. The list included Pitt, Robert Morris, WVU, & Penn St., but not Duquesne.

3/10/2015 3:15 pm  #25

Seems like this is another example of incompetence by one of our local TV stations through incomplete reporting.  

In my opinion Kovacevic hasn't got a clue about Duquesne's academic status compared to the other local schools, especially Robert Morris.  He's too lazy to do some research on the matter.  He provides no data that might support that contention.  It's just easier to say that Duquesne is being left behind than to back it up with facts.  I believe what Duquesne suffers from is poor PR when they make advances in academics or other achievements in the academic world. 

I'm not sure about all of the reasons for the disassociation between the 
Tammies and Duquesne University.  The Tammies are now independent from Duquesne University.  I believe that the administrators of the Tammies wanted to open up its membership to students to colleges other that Duquesne.  You have to wonder why should a university support an organization and lend it the university's name if all of its members are not Duquesne students.  

Board footera