Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2015 4:17 pm  #1

Mike Rice

On this date1982.Duquesne University fires Mike Rice who had a record of 62-49 and was twice named Eastern 8 Coach of the Year. Didn't realize he had 2 coach of the year titles. Any chance things would be a lot different around here if he had a longer stay?

3/09/2015 6:55 pm  #2

Re: Mike Rice

WashPaRick wrote:

On this date1982.Duquesne University fires Mike Rice who had a record of 62-49 and was twice named Eastern 8 Coach of the Year. Didn't realize he had 2 coach of the year titles. Any chance things would be a lot different around here if he had a longer stay?

No. His recruiting had dropped off badly after his first 2 years. With Bruce Atkins graduating, the program was getting ready to crash and burn, which it actually did during his last year. I almost wish we hadn't won the E8 in 1977, since Cinicola was going to be fired, and I doubt that Rice would have gotten the job at that point. They should have hired Al Bailey, or Jerry Conboy.

Last edited by duq81 (3/09/2015 6:56 pm)

3/09/2015 7:31 pm  #3

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

No. His recruiting had dropped off badly after his first 2 years. With Bruce Atkins graduating, the program was getting ready to crash and burn, which it actually did during his last year. I almost wish we hadn't won the E8 in 1977, since Cinicola was going to be fired, and I doubt that Rice would have gotten the job at that point. They should have hired Al Bailey, or Jerry Conboy.

Don't think that Al would have come back at that point.  I always wonder how things would have been different if Al, instead of Cinicola, replaced Red in 1974.

3/09/2015 8:10 pm  #4

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Don't think that Al would have come back at that point.  I always wonder how things would have been different if Al, instead of Cinicola, replaced Red in 1974.

Cinicola had been the loyal soldier for all those years, and there was never any question that he would take over for Red. It was kind of a Foge Fazio situation, and the results were similar.

3/10/2015 7:30 am  #5

I ran into Mike at Shaler High School when he was at Youngstown State, he was recruiting Joey Nathan a 6-9 center. He told me Duquesne would never schedule YSU as long as he was there. Mike was the coolest guy. He never had a chance to right things with that administration, he said not one lets a 7 footer flunk out, he took Ricky Tunstall with him to YSU where he was a productive post player.

Al Baily would have had the same problem as the other coaches, and Gary Williams would have stunted his career, Red did him a favor.

Even Red  had to sneak off campus with Mossie to recruit, this fish rotted  decades ago.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/10/2015 4:58 pm  #6

Interesting quote from Mike Rice about Ricky Tunstall -  (who reportedly wanted to become a Priest/Minister after his playing days)  - Said Rice "At 7 ft.  Ricky is probably "closer to God" than all the other ones out there. 

3/10/2015 5:09 pm  #7

Tunny was a real fun guy. Down to earth, and he didn't have that "I'm a hoop star" attitude that many on the team had. Fred Moon was a good guy as well, though he was much more laid back than Tunny.

Board footera