Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2015 9:12 pm  #26

Re: Trib Article - Everhart dances while Dukes wait,

Good luck succeeding in your job when you are being underminded by your boss. Let's continue to fool ourselves as to progress of this program. Maybe the new president should grant contract extensions brilliant! 400 season ticket holders 2015-2016.

3/25/2015 11:42 pm  #27

rogabee wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Also; while Ron was here, the Dukes lead the nation in steals and dominated teams stats in forced turnovers? Ferry any were near that? Ron ran a similar pressure defense with similar results. Web don't care to remember? Well, you just see what you want to see.  Duquesne will never be a Big program in these days of State run programs spending hugh amounts of tax dollars to run their programs. And most of those programs did less that Ron produced on a nothing budget with a 30 year loosing record to recruit from and managed to get a little above  500, but people like WEB don't se it that way. To WEB, RE didn't do anything with nothing, (mind you Ferry is , RIGHT WEB???)  In D-1 ball, you recruit player by their offensive skills, but you coach and teach defense once they get here. Hey WEB? Simple question?  Who played better defense? RE's Dukes, or Ferry's Dukes ? Can't wait for your spin on this one?  I'm sure it's coming!!

I believe RE's defensive system that relied on steals and forced turnovers was part of the problem with winning big games that was talked about during RE's tenure.  Against teams with good guard play that didn't turn it over, RE's system reliant on forcing turnovers (that didn't happen often against teams that took care of the ball) wasn't as effective as others may have been in a guard-oriented Atlantic 10 (only five top 50 wins with RE on the bench in six seasons).  It was very effective against middling and bad teams, though, and was one of the reasons RE's teams rarely had bad losses.

NapaDuke wrote:

Way more than just defense, Ron let the nation in most offensive stats at the same time, in fact 6 on the 10 highest scoring games in over 100 years of DU BB were Ron's DUKES !!!!

It helped to run 10/40 and be the fastest paced team in the history of Duquesne basketball here.

Mulder wrote:

I don't recall the sequence of events that happened that led to a decision to fire Ron - had TJ left before that time?  I had heard there were other players that were upset with the coach and the school at the time.

TJ decided to leave after Talley already announced his decision to transfer, leaving RE without a PG.  It was within two or three days that RE was fired.

---

CLK, you are right in calling RE a class act.  Hopefully his release was because of basketball reasons.  What I see a problem with is that RE was left with more in AJax and Achara than Ferry was left with from RE.  Yet, people want to see Ferry's team on the NCAA bubble in year five - understandably so - but it's something a RE team never did in six years and likely wouldn't have been able to do in year seven as he would have been completely rebuilding (his best team was on the NIT bubble and made it as the next-to-last team in).  Then again, what I'll always be thankful for in RE is that he got the program back to respectability...

As for Ferry, I do fully agree Ferry hasn't done enough and needs to show a lot more.  It also needs to be done fairly quickly, as he is going into his fourth year already.  I disagree Ferry is Nee.  I highly doubt Ferry will sink to those levels.  Ferry is quietly stockpiling some talent.  Whether Ferry can coach adequate defense - something he hasn't shown the ability to do to this point - along with how good Castro and Jackson are will likely define his fate at Duquesne.

Just an over all reality check. Before Ron, we had a loosing records for better than  20 years. With Ron, short of the first year ( and the Shooting)  Ron turned a program from the bottom up  to the A-10 finals and a NIT invite.  Ferry ( like other coaches in lower leagues( like Robert Morris) get in the NCAA like a  joke, 16th seat from a weak league, (play-in game) It's just a joke of a NCAA appearance, and everyone that picks a bracket each year in the whole country  knows it.  I would like to get to the point that DU gets a invite like Dayton with a respectful middle seat, not a RM joke of a seat (and Ferry's 2 appearances from the same league) We dumped a coach that could get you there for a coach that can't. Ferry's out of his league.  As far as pressing defense doesn't work against teams with a stronge point guard. That's probable true, but it's just one part of your game. Ron played a pressure offense at the same time.Remember, Ron's teams did better than any coach here since Red Manning. Why did no one else play 5 plus years that well here if it were that simple? Really, ask yourself, can Ferry really coach at this level?    

3/26/2015 5:56 am  #28

NapaDuke wrote:

rogabee wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Also; while Ron was here, the Dukes lead the nation in steals and dominated teams stats in forced turnovers? Ferry any were near that? Ron ran a similar pressure defense with similar results. Web don't care to remember? Well, you just see what you want to see.  Duquesne will never be a Big program in these days of State run programs spending hugh amounts of tax dollars to run their programs. And most of those programs did less that Ron produced on a nothing budget with a 30 year loosing record to recruit from and managed to get a little above  500, but people like WEB don't se it that way. To WEB, RE didn't do anything with nothing, (mind you Ferry is , RIGHT WEB???)  In D-1 ball, you recruit player by their offensive skills, but you coach and teach defense once they get here. Hey WEB? Simple question?  Who played better defense? RE's Dukes, or Ferry's Dukes ? Can't wait for your spin on this one?  I'm sure it's coming!!

I believe RE's defensive system that relied on steals and forced turnovers was part of the problem with winning big games that was talked about during RE's tenure.  Against teams with good guard play that didn't turn it over, RE's system reliant on forcing turnovers (that didn't happen often against teams that took care of the ball) wasn't as effective as others may have been in a guard-oriented Atlantic 10 (only five top 50 wins with RE on the bench in six seasons).  It was very effective against middling and bad teams, though, and was one of the reasons RE's teams rarely had bad losses.

NapaDuke wrote:

Way more than just defense, Ron let the nation in most offensive stats at the same time, in fact 6 on the 10 highest scoring games in over 100 years of DU BB were Ron's DUKES !!!!

It helped to run 10/40 and be the fastest paced team in the history of Duquesne basketball here.

Mulder wrote:

I don't recall the sequence of events that happened that led to a decision to fire Ron - had TJ left before that time?  I had heard there were other players that were upset with the coach and the school at the time.

TJ decided to leave after Talley already announced his decision to transfer, leaving RE without a PG.  It was within two or three days that RE was fired.

---

CLK, you are right in calling RE a class act.  Hopefully his release was because of basketball reasons.  What I see a problem with is that RE was left with more in AJax and Achara than Ferry was left with from RE.  Yet, people want to see Ferry's team on the NCAA bubble in year five - understandably so - but it's something a RE team never did in six years and likely wouldn't have been able to do in year seven as he would have been completely rebuilding (his best team was on the NIT bubble and made it as the next-to-last team in).  Then again, what I'll always be thankful for in RE is that he got the program back to respectability...

As for Ferry, I do fully agree Ferry hasn't done enough and needs to show a lot more.  It also needs to be done fairly quickly, as he is going into his fourth year already.  I disagree Ferry is Nee.  I highly doubt Ferry will sink to those levels.  Ferry is quietly stockpiling some talent.  Whether Ferry can coach adequate defense - something he hasn't shown the ability to do to this point - along with how good Castro and Jackson are will likely define his fate at Duquesne.

Just an over all reality check. Before Ron, we had a loosing records for better than  20 years. With Ron, short of the first year ( and the Shooting)  Ron turned a program from the bottom up  to the A-10 finals and a NIT invite.  Ferry ( like other coaches in lower leagues( like Robert Morris) get in the NCAA like a  joke, 16th seat from a weak league, (play-in game) It's just a joke of a NCAA appearance, and everyone that picks a bracket each year in the whole country  knows it.  I would like to get to the point that DU gets a invite like Dayton with a respectful middle seat, not a RM joke of a seat (and Ferry's 2 appearances from the same league) We dumped a coach that could get you there for a coach that can't. Ferry's out of his league.  As far as pressing defense doesn't work against teams with a stronge point guard. That's probable true, but it's just one part of your game. Ron played a pressure offense at the same time.Remember, Ron's teams did better than any coach here since Red Manning. Why did no one else play 5 plus years that well here if it were that simple? Really, ask yourself, can Ferry really coach at this level?    

Mike Rice has the best record since Manning.

3/26/2015 7:56 am  #29

Rogabee, nice analysis. RE was a master at beating the team's you were supposed to and pulling off the occasional (very occasional as you pointed out) upset. I also belief that most opponents didn't like playing against a RE team, because you never knew what that crazy SOB was going to throw at you. From a fan's perspective, this was a lot of fun to watch; and rarely did we have those "we just got beat by WISH - Wyoming Institute of Sheep Herding".

The above cannot be said about Ferry; we lose to bad teams, teams LOVE playing against the Dukes (welcome to Palumbo fellow student-athlete, would you like another open shot?) and it's not fun for the fans.

As you pointed out, Defense is the issue for Ferry. If he can coach it up, he has a good chance of being successful in Year 4 and Very successful in Year 5. From watching the product for 3 years, I haven't seen any signs that he can coach defense. So no fun watching and very limited hope for the future is not a good place for the program to be.

3/26/2015 8:05 am  #30

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Rogabee, nice analysis. RE was a master at beating the team's you were supposed to and pulling off the occasional (very occasional as you pointed out) upset. I also belief that most opponents didn't like playing against a RE team, because you never knew what that crazy SOB was going to throw at you. From a fan's perspective, this was a lot of fun to watch; and rarely did we have those "we just got beat by WISH - Wyoming Institute of Sheep Herding".

The above cannot be said about Ferry; we lose to bad teams, teams LOVE playing against the Dukes (welcome to Palumbo fellow student-athlete, would you like another open shot?) and it's not fun for the fans.

As you pointed out, Defense is the issue for Ferry. If he can coach it up, he has a good chance of being successful in Year 4 and Very successful in Year 5. From watching the product for 3 years, I haven't seen any signs that he can coach defense. So no fun watching and very limited hope for the future is not a good place for the program to be.

What's weird about Ferry, is that he's been as good as Ron against good teams. His downfall has been against teams we should beat.

3/26/2015 8:56 am  #31

Ironduke1981 wrote:

Again I can assure you that Coach Ferry upon accepting this job is saying "what the F---- did I get into". Would anyone not take Amodios desperate offers after multiple candidates told him to pound salt.Who has caused this disaster but GA. Ron as a head coach probably did more then any other coach to bring the alumni and general basketball fans back to Duquesne. Forget his wins he without a doubt served as an effective ambassador for Duquesne. If Amodio was so good why would he not leave and get another job? How ironic Xavier went through a total of 3 hirings for AD after he left when he was available? Bring in a competent AD stop the bleeding.

Mulder & Rogabee good posts.  Ironduke1981 I agree with you DU needs to bring in a competent AD to stop the bleeding. Amodio has to go.  I think that opinion is not only wide spread in the media, but also among most of dwindling fan base that is left and still cares about DU basketball.    Having said that, most fans realize that despite his dismal start Ferry deserves the support of the school and fans to prove himself.  If Ferry had come in and shown some signs of life all of these discussions would not be happening.  As long as Ferry continues to struggle the Ron comparison, and the media stories on the ineptitude of Amodio and Dougherty are inevitable. I think as you have pointed out in other posts, that Ferry deserves better from this administration and should be given every resource to be successful including being able to work with a competent AD and staff. 

3/26/2015 3:33 pm  #32

If during your working life you have ever been offered a job that you know has had a history of turnover and failure by those who were hired before you, most wise businessman turn it down despite the compensation. I have had this happen twice in my career and looked back later with relief as I heard of the continued turnover of those managers.

This is where Ferry erred, he as Dambot and most other DI coaches know of Duquesne's reputation in the business, most stay away or say thanks but no thanks. Ferry took the money and now puts up with what others before him faced. They weren't failures before they came here but left as failures.

I expect the same fate to follow this one also.

A diehard fan since 1961

3/31/2015 4:41 pm  #33

WEB wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Think what you want to think, first, the article said Hugs was thinking about using a pressure,trap defense ahead of time, and asked Mackey about  the idea since Mackey use it back in the 80"s when  he was a coach (he's not one now) Mackey watched 2 hours of one practice and thought the WVU team had the speed to do it. Note: Mackey never coached the WVU defense, nor did he put the idea in Hugs head ahead of time. You read what you want, but someone else showed Huggins that type of defense could work.  

Ron Everhart - 18 Seasons as a D-1 Head Coach
Jim Ferry - 13 Seasons as a D-1 Head Coach
Ron Everhart - 0 NCAA Tournament Appearances
Jim Ferry - 2 NCAA Tournament Appearances

The question that needs answered is why can't Ron make the NCAA's?  If I was 0 for 18 at my job, I'd be fired. 

I'm not calling anyone out in particular, but I truly believe there are members of this fan base who are rooting for Jim Ferry to fail because it will somehow validate in their minds their belief that Everhart should still be the coach. 

If I were successful at my job 40% of the time, or 20% of the time, I would either have to be a successful meteorologist, a politician, or a coach with an unimpressive resume.  

Since we're not talking about Al Roker or any politician, let's talk about Jimmy Ferry.

Back-to-back 20+ win seasons, conference championships, and trips to the NCAA Tournament are impressive. But Ferry’s record during his other eight seasons was 98-139, and his conference record was 66-78. Add his 33-58 record at Duquesne (12-38 in the A-10), and the fact that for 8 of his 10 LIU seasons (80% of the time) and all of his Duquesne seasons (100%), he has been a loser. 131 wins, 192 losses, and 78-116 in conference. That's a 40.5% and 40.2% winning percentage, respectively. Even with his two good seasons, his overall D1 record is 183-207. Prior to taking the LIU job, Ferry spent one season at an ECAC school, and three seasons at a DII school. As an assistant, he worked a couple years each at a DII school and a DIII school.  

I don't think Duke will be reaching out to him when K finally retires. And I'd like you to tell me what, besides those two magical seasons at LIU, gives me ANY reason to believe that he can be successful here.

For perspective, at Murray State, Scott Edgar had a 79-40 record (56-17 conference), two NCAA Tournament appearances and an NIT bid. Danny Nee came to Duquesne with more than 400 career wins, 10 years of 20+ wins at the D1 level, seven trips to the NCAAs, and six trips to the NIT, including one championship.

Keep repeating your mantra. I'll keep repeating mine.

38 years. No reason to believe.

3/31/2015 6:13 pm  #34

ElDuque wrote:

WEB wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Ron Everhart - 18 Seasons as a D-1 Head Coach
Jim Ferry - 13 Seasons as a D-1 Head Coach
Ron Everhart - 0 NCAA Tournament Appearances
Jim Ferry - 2 NCAA Tournament Appearances

The question that needs answered is why can't Ron make the NCAA's?  If I was 0 for 18 at my job, I'd be fired. 

I'm not calling anyone out in particular, but I truly believe there are members of this fan base who are rooting for Jim Ferry to fail because it will somehow validate in their minds their belief that Everhart should still be the coach. 

If I were successful at my job 40% of the time, or 20% of the time, I would either have to be a successful meteorologist, a politician, or a coach with an unimpressive resume.  

Since we're not talking about Al Roker or any politician, let's talk about Jimmy Ferry.

Back-to-back 20+ win seasons, conference championships, and trips to the NCAA Tournament are impressive. But Ferry’s record during his other eight seasons was 98-139, and his conference record was 66-78. Add his 33-58 record at Duquesne (12-38 in the A-10), and the fact that for 8 of his 10 LIU seasons (80% of the time) and all of his Duquesne seasons (100%), he has been a loser. 131 wins, 192 losses, and 78-116 in conference. That's a 40.5% and 40.2% winning percentage, respectively. Even with his two good seasons, his overall D1 record is 183-207. Prior to taking the LIU job, Ferry spent one season at an ECAC school, and three seasons at a DII school. As an assistant, he worked a couple years each at a DII school and a DIII school.  

I don't think Duke will be reaching out to him when K finally retires. And I'd like you to tell me what, besides those two magical seasons at LIU, gives me ANY reason to believe that he can be successful here.

For perspective, at Murray State, Scott Edgar had a 79-40 record (56-17 conference), two NCAA Tournament appearances and an NIT bid. Danny Nee came to Duquesne with more than 400 career wins, 10 years of 20+ wins at the D1 level, seven trips to the NCAAs, and six trips to the NIT, including one championship.

Keep repeating your mantra. I'll keep repeating mine.

38 years. No reason to believe.

I'll take a coach who got their twice (and his team made it the season after he left) over a guy who has proven to me he cannot get it done, magical, fluke or otherwise.

3/31/2015 7:48 pm  #35

I'm sure you would. As I recall, you were the lone poster to hop on Colin Dunlap's Shoegate nonsense, so this makes perfect sense. But let's make this about Ferry. What do you love about him Web? His defensive schemes? The solid fundamentals? The way players develop? Having 6-8 wide bodies launching 3s? The annual recruitment of a Juco scoring freak who falls out of favor quickly and leaves after a year? Having a 50% 3 point shooter who doesn't get his number called for plays? You know, someone on the other board has the perfect solution for us. Hire an assistant to teach defense, fundamentals, maybe do a little recruiting.

You know, the stuff we're paying Ferry to do.

Last edited by ElDuque (3/31/2015 8:02 pm)

4/01/2015 3:50 pm  #36

ElDuque wrote:

I'm sure you would. As I recall, you were the lone poster to hop on Colin Dunlap's Shoegate nonsense, so this makes perfect sense. But let's make this about Ferry. What do you love about him Web? His defensive schemes? The solid fundamentals? The way players develop? Having 6-8 wide bodies launching 3s? The annual recruitment of a Juco scoring freak who falls out of favor quickly and leaves after a year? Having a 50% 3 point shooter who doesn't get his number called for plays? You know, someone on the other board has the perfect solution for us. Hire an assistant to teach defense, fundamentals, maybe do a little recruiting.

You know, the stuff we're paying Ferry to do.

Just to wrap-up the shoegate issue...Duquesne did report that as a NCAA violation.  So, I believe Dunlap was correct in what he discovered.  Otherwise, Duquesne would not have admitted their guilt. 

This is what I love about Ferry:  He knows how to make NCAA Tournaments. 

What did you like about Ron?  Because he doesnt know how to make NCAA Tournaments. 

4/01/2015 4:00 pm  #37

33-58 (12-38 in the A-10). Losing record against one of the softest non-con schedules in the country.

Good luck getting to the NCAAs! I did notice that Andy Toole and Robert Morris won an NCAA Tournament game. Are they the first NEC team to do that?

4/01/2015 4:09 pm  #38

ElDuque wrote:

33-58 (12-38 in the A-10). Losing record against one of the softest non-con schedules in the country.

Good luck getting to the NCAAs! I did notice that Andy Toole and Robert Morris won an NCAA Tournament game. Are they the first NEC team to do that?

What did you like about Ron?  Because it could not be his ability to provide NCAA Tournament appearances.  0 for 18. 

4/01/2015 4:36 pm  #39

It's about Ferry.

4/01/2015 4:39 pm  #40

It may be best for you WEB to limit your posts to the YUKU board. That's where many of the Ron haters reside.

4/02/2015 7:27 am  #41

Everhart- great guy, great ambassador of team and university, teams played good defense, good transition offense, terrible half court o. had terrible coaching staff, couldnt develop a big guy. only had 1 losing season on bluff. generally beat up weaker teams. his teams limped to finish line after starting off hot. had some nice wins over top 25 teams. generally lost the big games. should have been given another year. wish him well in future and hope he lands a nice HC job somewhere.

Ferry- i like his half court o, terrible defensive team. terrible coaching staff minus rhoades. like what i see out of big guy development. teams start slow, lose to lesser teams. generally show improvement thru the season. has a couple of nice wins over very good teams. 3 straight losing seasons.deserves a chance to show what he can do this year and if he is truly building something special. current coach, gotta support him and players

neither coach can beat pitt or bobby mo.

both coaches have strengths and weaknesses. neither has gotten Duq to the ncaa so who cares what they did in the past. 

Board footera