Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2012 6:13 pm  #1

2010 - 2015 DU Strategic Plan

Looks like the Board needs to regroup and focus on elements that pertain to Section 2.8.  Calling all RA's, frats, sorrorities, service organizations, religious groups, student government and individual students and employees.  Time to get butts in the seats.

http://www.duq.edu/Documents/administration/_pdf/ImplJune10.pdf

2.8 Duquesne athletes will perform at the top of their conferences in sports and in academic performance.

2.8.1. The number of varsity sports will be reduced so that savings can be reinvested in the remaining core sports.
     2.8.2. Athletic facilities will be modernized and upgraded.
     2.8.3. Student Life will support the efforts of Athletics to increase attendance at sporting events.
     2.8.4. Student athletes will be invited to attend and be recognized at Student Life events.

12/17/2012 6:19 pm  #2

Re: 2010 - 2015 DU Strategic Plan

http://www.duq.edu/Documents/public-affairs/_pdf/ConvocationBook2012-web.pdf

"We all know that several of the leading Catholic universities in America entered and have
sustained that leading position through first-rate athletics programs. This is part of our commitment as
well."

12/17/2012 6:42 pm  #3

Great post Jeralta.  I did not know these were our written goals.  I would hope 2.8.3 translate into a job description accountability for somebody.

12/17/2012 7:12 pm  #4

Yes, this is a great point to bring up.

Starting next semester the frats and sororities start pledging again. There better be some groups from these organization at games.

12/17/2012 7:40 pm  #5

CLK wrote:

Great post Jeralta.  I did not know these were our written goals.  I would hope 2.8.3 translate into a job description accountability for somebody.

There are 4 people in charge of Marketing in the Athletics department. The accountability is theirs, not Father Hogans office. Its like AMODEGO saying we have failed for years can you force the students to come to our pathetic game environment.

12/17/2012 8:44 pm  #6

Scotchngars wrote:

CLK wrote:

There are 4 people in charge of Marketing in the Athletics department. The accountability is theirs, not Father Hogans office. Its like AMODEGO saying we have failed for years can you force the students to come to our pathetic game environment.

1) What is up with AMODEGO?

2) I'm not really sure how you can blast the athletic department and then defend the most damaging figure to Duquesne athletics in the last 15-20 years. A man who if you asked him about the basketball program under Everhart he'd roll his eyes and complain about the lack of academic discipline in the program. The man cared more about academic all conference players than he did real all conference players and the athletic department rotted under his guidance.

12/17/2012 9:21 pm  #7

Student Life is an actual department. I wonder if this is their assignment so to speak.  The Duquesne Program Council should be pumping money for student incentives into the game time enjoyment. Half court shots for free airline tix or a car, etc.  When I was there, The DPC was led by anti-athletic students who routed money to first run movies at the Union at $5k a pop for 30 students.

We need everyone at Duq to be on the same page.

Last edited by Jeralta (12/17/2012 9:22 pm)

12/17/2012 9:24 pm  #8

http://www.duq.edu/life-at-duquesne/student-life

Student Life at a Glance

Over 180 recognized Student Organizations
20 Greek Organizations
13 Student Life Departments
About 3,400 Students Live on Campus

Last edited by Jeralta (12/17/2012 9:25 pm)

12/17/2012 9:39 pm  #9

Duquesne basketball is in desperate pathetic shape if it has to beg, plead, pray and resort to other "gimmicks" to get sudents to show up for games. Are we even a college basketbll program any longer, if no collegians are to be found in the stands and where alumni and other drifters out-number the students by a 40-1 margin?

12/17/2012 10:34 pm  #10

A lot of schools are in this situation.

12/17/2012 10:41 pm  #11

Steve - who are you talking about here??? Murray, Daugherty, who????

I'm not really sure how you can blast the athletic department and then defend the most damaging figure to Duquesne athletics in the last 15-20 years. A man who if you asked him about the basketball program under Everhart he'd roll his eyes and complain about the lack of academic discipline in the program. The man cared more about academic all conference players than he did real all conference players and the athletic department rotted under his guidance.

Last edited by Westender (12/17/2012 10:53 pm)

12/17/2012 10:44 pm  #12

steve19981 wrote:

Scotchngars wrote:

CLK wrote:

1) What is up with AMODEGO?

2) I'm not really sure how you can blast the athletic department and then defend the most damaging figure to Duquesne athletics in the last 15-20 years. A man who if you asked him about the basketball program under Everhart he'd roll his eyes and complain about the lack of academic discipline in the program. The man cared more about academic all conference players than he did real all conference players and the athletic department rotted under his guidance.

I don't blast the Athletic department, they have failed to market this program for years. In the history which we are of age to be around, they have failed at every aspect of achieving what everyone wants on this board, which is to be a winner, which RE did but a lot say he plateaued.

When RE brought us to 5 points to winning the A10 tourney and dancing, the athletic dept. did nothing to send fans, band, cheerleaders, etc... Then the following season after our best season in decades, and making the NIT, they had a zero marketing campaign to get the Pittsburgh population excited or even curious about our team. Complete lack of marketing and advertising. Many say win and they will come, we won the most in decades and no one came. Its not just wins its the entertainment, and game environment that keeps them coming.

I don't defend father Hogan and his staff, Hogan rolled his eyes because he was ousted as a decision maker when Amodeo came in, and rightfully so. So he turned his back on athletics, and by the way is one of the owners, if you would, of the University. It is not his or his staffs responsibility to get people in the stands, its AMODEGO, which if you need explanation is combination of Amodio and EGO. This guy said we are going to step up, 4.2 million over seven years for an just over .500 coach from the NEC is not a step up. Not bashing Ferry he is innocent and deserves 5 years like any coach in a collegiate sport.

Tell me this, if Ron took over a team that was 3-24 and had 5 players shot before his 1st. season started, and then produced a winning season the next 5 years and post season 3 of those years, and left the new coach with a team minus two that had a winning season, how long do you think Ferry has to be a step UP?

12/17/2012 10:53 pm  #13

12/17/2012 11:52 pm  #14

Hogan never turned his back on athletics because he never gave a crap about them to begin with. He needs to be put in charge of alumni relations or fund raising. He's very good at both, but is completely out of touch and lacks vision when it comes to making student life more enjoyable or attractive to prospective students.  If the organizations under his umbrella are failing to support the athletic programs as has been clearly outlined in the comprehensive plan, he is also failing the university in that regard. Personally, I think his vision of what college life ought to be is part of the reason why students quietly loathe the school. And you want to talk about ego....

I gave Ron a solid 4 3/4 years and I will give Ferry the same. If Ferry does not work out, I will be an advocate, just like you, that Greg Amodio does not have a hand in the hiring of the next coach. As of right now, I see Amodio as the counter to Hogan, a man who is not afraid to crack a few eggs to make an omelet and not just kiss peoples behinds because they throw money his way. His department is elevating the exposure of the team by playing games in the CEC, the City Game is an event again, both basketball programs are funded over average in the league, and he has shown the capability of thinking outside the box to utilize and increase revenues in a different ways after a 30 year dearth of creativity from this university. And it's hard to say he doesn't want more for the program than we're gotten if he's willing to put his career on the line to get someone better than Everhart. Clearly, there are areas of his job that need improvement, but at the moment, I like what I see even if it hasn't translated to a ton of real success and it's probably taken a little longer turn everything around than hoped for. Not trying to convince you or anyone. Just stating my position.

I'm not going to sit here and try to compare Ferry and Everhart, because let's both be honest, you're not going to listen to me anyway and I've already done plenty of it. What I would like to point out is that Ferry is the coach, Amodio is the AD and Hogan is the Vice President of student life and there is nothing either of us can do about it besides complain or advocate change on an internet message board or in my case write a blog about it. I love my school and I want whoever is in charge to be successful whether I agree with them or not. Sometimes we have to advocate change but in my opinion it's better to do that than hang onto the past.

Last edited by steve19981 (12/18/2012 12:03 am)

12/18/2012 9:09 am  #15

steve19981 wrote:

Hogan never turned his back on athletics because he never gave a crap about them to begin with. He needs to be put in charge of alumni relations or fund raising. He's very good at both, but is completely out of touch and lacks vision when it comes to making student life more enjoyable or attractive to prospective students.  If the organizations under his umbrella are failing to support the athletic programs as has been clearly outlined in the comprehensive plan, he is also failing the university in that regard. Personally, I think his vision of what college life ought to be is part of the reason why students quietly loathe the school. And you want to talk about ego....

I gave Ron a solid 4 3/4 years and I will give Ferry the same. If Ferry does not work out, I will be an advocate, just like you, that Greg Amodio does not have a hand in the hiring of the next coach. As of right now, I see Amodio as the counter to Hogan, a man who is not afraid to crack a few eggs to make an omelet and not just kiss peoples behinds because they throw money his way. His department is elevating the exposure of the team by playing games in the CEC, the City Game is an event again, both basketball programs are funded over average in the league, and he has shown the capability of thinking outside the box to utilize and increase revenues in a different ways after a 30 year dearth of creativity from this university. And it's hard to say he doesn't want more for the program than we're gotten if he's willing to put his career on the line to get someone better than Everhart. Clearly, there are areas of his job that need improvement, but at the moment, I like what I see even if it hasn't translated to a ton of real success and it's probably taken a little longer turn everything around than hoped for. Not trying to convince you or anyone. Just stating my position.

I'm not going to sit here and try to compare Ferry and Everhart, because let's both be honest, you're not going to listen to me anyway and I've already done plenty of it. What I would like to point out is that Ferry is the coach, Amodio is the AD and Hogan is the Vice President of student life and there is nothing either of us can do about it besides complain or advocate change on an internet message board or in my case write a blog about it. I love my school and I want whoever is in charge to be successful whether I agree with them or not. Sometimes we have to advocate change but in my opinion it's better to do that than hang onto the past.

Murray & Father Hogan were a disaster for DU basketball no question about that.  The AD previously reported directly to Hogan.  A reversal of attitude by the Administration, an icrease in financial commitment and the removal of Hogan in the chain was part of what "The Cause" fought for several years back.   Credit Dr. Dougherty for listening. He hired Amodio who in turn hired Ron.  Almost all of Amodio's success to date is directly related to Ron.  He did what no other coach could do on the court in the last 35 years and what some saw as impossible.  Off the court he reached out to alums, and was not too proud to kiss some behinds to advance DU basketball. He was the guy that was directly responsible for kissing some butts and getting the donations to improve Palumbo, not Amodio.  He brought back the DU former players.  He was never too busy to visit the sick, attend funerals, answer phone calls, meet with alums.  His reward was to not only be fired but publically humiliated.  He was well liked by most alums and the media.  Contrast that to Amodio, who for some reason you have ascribed his ego as a virtue.  A man who will not return phone call, e-mails and makes zero effort to reach out to alums.  The Consol deal fell into his lap.  He deserves no credit for that, hell Colleary would have made that deal.  Since Ron's firing season tickets sales are down, and student support is practically non existent.  I hate to see what it wikll look like tomorrow night on national TV. How anyone could hold Ron accountable and give Amodio a mulligan is beyond me.

I have moved on over the firing of Ron (until a post l.ike this appears) and support Coach Frerry.  The AD still however needs to be held accountable to do his job.

Last edited by CLK (12/18/2012 9:22 am)

12/18/2012 11:05 am  #16

Great post CLK.    For a small fan base, we are all so divided.   It really is amazing that any of us truly care anymore.   For what it is worth, I don't give those quotes in the Strategic Plan more worth than the PDF file they are saved on.

Every single coach that has come in here has talked about the administration's support and how they are dedicated to the cause of renewing DU basketball.   And time and time again, we see the same half-assed effort as we always do.   

I guess looking at Pitt and RMU being so optomistic.....And Butler and Xavier and fill in the blanks getting ready to move on from the A10.....it seems that all these other fans have these sports as enjoyment.   This just caused us a bunch of grief.   

And with all the real world grief we have, it is just dumb to invest so much time in this.

Last edited by duqkurt (12/18/2012 12:00 pm)

12/18/2012 11:21 am  #17

steve19981 wrote:

Never giving a crap is turning your back, it just happened a lot sooner when the AD had to answer to him. I think we agree on Hogan as a pimple on the Arse of progress when it comes to athletics.

I give Amodio credit and CD for taking a stand and Amodio answering directly to CD, so there is the reason Hogan not only turned his back, but will not in any way support athletics, I guess his ego was crushed and now athletics has to compete against him. Let's call him HOGEGO. That's why I said its not his staffs job to get butts in the seats, the AD has to do it, because he will not, due to his ouster.

Im glad you brought him into the conversation, so is it impossible for the current administration who has to follow the guides of the spiritans/HOGEGO to move this program forward. If the spiritans/owners don't commit the funds, then the cuffs are on CD and GA, and this opens the door for a whole other battle, which imo can't be won by anyone.

I'm giving Ferry 5 years and want him to succeed, but my point was if Amodego fired RE, and it was professional jealousy that led to it, and Ferry is the step up, then he has to perform better than RE year by year. Especially since he was left with a 16-15 team, less two players, and RE started with AJ and Kieron and 5 shot. I'm just holding GA accountable for his words not anyone else.

FYI it was Everhart that got the money from the Schammings for the Palumbo upgrades, and when they whacked RE, they wish the never would have donated the money and want nothing to do with GA. Just like the former head of the Athletic fund board Gary Duty, who continued to donate and raise money after his son graduated, until RE was canned, and humiliated. He told GA, I don't have a problem with you firing a coach but the way it was handled and the way you personally attacked him, I'm done with Duquesne, I'm canceling my season tickets and ceasing my donations and fund raising and will never be in the Palumbo center again.

12/18/2012 11:29 am  #18

Good Post regarding the Strategic Plan: this section certainly needs some work! 

I think you need to set the tone early; meaning to get the new students' attention with a basketball presentation being added to Orientation.  Make it a fun program; teach every student the Mossie Cheer; of course someone at the school would need to "know" the Mossie cheer to teach it to the Students.. Recruit a student with some personality to lead the Mossie Cheer.  Get him a Red Sweater so he can stand out .  GIve them some history regarding the BB program; First black player drafted into the NBA; first school to have two #1 NBA draft picks in two straight years; Get them to sign up for "The CRew" and give them a T-shirt for signing up.  Bring in some to the current players and coaches to talk to the new freshman about the prospects for the upcoming season and beyond,  I'm sure you guys can come up with some better ideas as well; but it should be done as part of Orientation.  It really wouldn't take much or cost much to indoctinate the new students.

12/18/2012 11:34 am  #19

Yes, it should be done at orienation.

No, some dork in a red sweater should not try to lead a cheer in the student section that no one under 30 has ever heard. The students that go will just sit further and further up into the rafters away from the real section.

Last edited by DukesDan (12/18/2012 11:34 am)

12/18/2012 11:52 am  #20

Scotchngars wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Never giving a crap is turning your back, it just happened a lot sooner when the AD had to answer to him. I think we agree on Hogan as a pimple on the Arse of progress when it comes to athletics.

I give Amodio credit and CD for taking a stand and Amodio answering directly to CD, so there is the reason Hogan not only turned his back, but will not in any way support athletics, I guess his ego was crushed and now athletics has to compete against him. Let's call him HOGEGO. That's why I said its not his staffs job to get butts in the seats, the AD has to do it, because he will not, due to his ouster.

Im glad you brought him into the conversation, so is it impossible for the current administration who has to follow the guides of the spiritans/HOGEGO to move this program forward. If the spiritans/owners don't commit the funds, then the cuffs are on CD and GA, and this opens the door for a whole other battle, which imo can't be won by anyone.

I'm giving Ferry 5 years and want him to succeed, but my point was if Amodego fired RE, and it was professional jealousy that led to it, and Ferry is the step up, then he has to perform better than RE year by year. Especially since he was left with a 16-15 team, less two players, and RE started with AJ and Kieron and 5 shot. I'm just holding GA accountable for his words not anyone else.

FYI it was Everhart that got the money from the Schammings for the Palumbo upgrades, and when they whacked RE, they wish the never would have donated the money and want nothing to do with GA. Just like the former head of the Athletic fund board Gary Duty, who continued to donate and raise money after his son graduated, until RE was canned, and humiliated. He told GA, I don't have a problem with you firing a coach but the way it was handled and the way you personally attacked him, I'm done with Duquesne, I'm canceling my season tickets and ceasing my donations and fund raising and will never be in the Palumbo center again.

He may not give a crap about athletics but Fr. Hogan has a huge impact on how the students perceive the University; meaning their lack of school spirit.  Why do you think that students can't wait to get off campus housing in their junior year?  If not for that policy students would be out after their freshman year, and the dorms would be half-empty.  The place is more like a jail than a college campus.  The problem with getting students to attend games goes beyond basketball, to their overall perception of  student life at Duquesne; and this can be traced to the policies of Fr. Hogan.

12/18/2012 11:57 am  #21

DukesDan wrote:

Yes, it should be done at orienation.

No, some dork in a red sweater should not try to lead a cheer in the student section that no one under 30 has ever heard. The students that go will just sit further and further up into the rafters away from the real section.

They need to be taught at Orientation, then they will recognize it and have fun with it.  It can provide a link to the tradition that the program has lost. It's just an idea, but as I said, I'm sure others can come up with better ideas on how to structure a basketball component to Orientation.

12/18/2012 12:17 pm  #22

Too bad there is no tail gating allowed in that power center lot.

12/18/2012 1:47 pm  #23

Scotchngars wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

I see a lot of "facts" and inside info being thrown around here. I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything like that, but its easy to post unsubtantiated things on a message board, with no footnotes, other than "My third cousin's uncle's best friend knows someone who...................."

And that is what I seem to see here on both sides of the argument.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/18/2012 1:55 pm  #24

CLK,

My response was in no way a Ron bash. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I only see Amodio's ego as a "virtue"  in the sense that he is willing to run his department in a way that he thinks will improve the program rather than doing what is popular. I also think he has a strong vision of what the program can be.

Scotch,

I don't see financial support as being an issue. We're 87th in the NCAA and 6th in the league in basketball expenses. There are a number of schools who spend less than us. Are those numbers great? No but we've more than tripled the basketball budget in the last 10 years.

As for my expectations of Ferry, I'd rather him steadily grow the program over the next 5 years and the A-10 he is presented with is certainly different than the one that RE joined. I'll judge him based on continued progress rather than on year to year comps.

Last edited by steve19981 (12/18/2012 1:56 pm)

12/18/2012 2:04 pm  #25

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I see a lot of "facts" and inside info being thrown around here. I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything like that, but its easy to post unsubtantiated things on a message board, with no footnotes, other than "My third cousin's uncle's best friend knows someone who...................."

And that is what I seem to see here on both sides of the argument.

steve19981 wrote:

Hogan never turned his back on athletics because he never gave a crap about them to begin with. (1) He needs to be put in charge of alumni relations or fund raising. He's very good at both, but is completely out of touch and lacks vision when it comes to making student life more enjoyable or attractive to prospective students.  If the organizations under his umbrella are failing to support the athletic programs as has been clearly outlined in the comprehensive plan, he is also failing the university in that regard. Personally, I think his vision of what college life ought to be is part of the reason why students quietly loathe the school (2) And you want to talk about ego....

(1) Reading between the lines every conversation I've ever had with Fr Hogan about athletics.
(2) Based on my personal opinion as a student living on campus for four years from 99-03 and as a graduate student from 04-06.

Don't really see what else would need a citation. Everything else is opinion or my interpretation of events.

Last edited by steve19981 (12/18/2012 2:04 pm)

Board footera