Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2015 12:15 pm  #1

Stevens gone as well

Craig Meyer ‏@CraigMeyerPG 34m34 minutes ago

Jordan Stevens, who was suspended for the final 10 games of Duquesne's season, has been granted his release and will transfer.

Last edited by CLK (4/01/2015 12:15 pm)

4/01/2015 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Stevens gone as well

Ferry told Meyer that he expects everyone else will be back

4/01/2015 12:18 pm  #3

CLK wrote:

Ferry told Meyer that he expects everyone else will be back

The four starters and a bunch of guys with splinters in their tushes.

4/01/2015 12:25 pm  #4

I am glad at least the Powell is not leaving as I think he has a lot of potential.

The speculation now is what will Ferry do with the two open scholarship,  Ferry's record with JUCO signings has not been good.  I had heard that Ferry was looking at JUCO big men last weekend. 

4/01/2015 2:43 pm  #5

Let's be  a little bit fair to the facts.  Ferry's record of having successfule JUCO GUARDS (WHITE, STEVENS, etc.)  has not been good.  His record of having successful JUCO BIGS ( i.e., only one taken--MCKOY) has been good.  Go for big and bigger if you must go the JUCO route.

4/01/2015 2:51 pm  #6

grammudder wrote:

Let's be  a little bit fair to the facts.  Ferry's record of having successfule JUCO GUARDS (WHITE, STEVENS, etc.)  has not been good.  His record of having successful JUCO BIGS ( i.e., only one taken--MCKOY) has been good.  Go for big and bigger if you must go the JUCO route.

Agree. Bigs are what we need anyway. Any guard we bring in should be a freshman.

4/01/2015 2:53 pm  #7

grammudder wrote:

Good point.  McKoy was a good player.  I believe it was a big mistake for Ferry not to start him at the beginning of the season. 

4/01/2015 3:15 pm  #8

The failure of the JUCO guards is evidence of Ferry's lack of understanding of what he needs to do to be successful in the A-10. First, he tries to pair White up with Colter. So you have two very short guards with average speed on the court, both of whom are looking to hoist shots as soon as they touch the ball. When that doesn't work, he goes the Stephens route this year. Guy could shoot. And shoot and shoot and shoot. But not do much else. But there he was, getting tons of minutes early in the season. And there he goes, like White before him, one and done despite the hype.

I'll be curious to see what is meant by "a JUCO big man," since Ferry considers anyone over 6-5 to be a big man. Will it be another 6-8 big body who's a "catch and shoot from 3?" Because we already know THAT idea doesn't work. A somewhat serviceable post player who's only good for a couple of minutes a game? We could probably use 2-3 more of those actually to fill the minutes. Or another overhyped "beast" who's thrown in without any preparation then pretty much tied to the bench the rest of the way? Because that got old real quick.

As long as Ferry continues to insist that small (and slow, and poor defense) is better, and if he keeps shortening the length of his bench, then it might not matter who he brings in.

McKoy played a season at URI before going the JUCO route, so unlike the overhyped guards (and even the coach himself), there was experience at this level. I liked McKoy. But Ferry screwed around with his playing time early in the year, and despite having one of the softest out of conference schedules in the country, the Dukes paid for it in the loss column. It was no coincidence that they actually won a few games once McKoy returned to the lineup.

4/01/2015 4:03 pm  #9

To be specific, I define a JUCO  BIG to mean he is 6'8" or bigger, at least 215 lbs., just like McKoy is/was.  Ferry's only other transfer BIG was OVIE SOKO, 6'8", 230 lbs., but he wasn't a JUCO transfer.  I would like to see two of that ilk fill the now apparent vacant scholarships.

4/01/2015 4:04 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

The failure of the JUCO guards is evidence of Ferry's lack of understanding of what he needs to do to be successful in the A-10. First, he tries to pair White up with Colter. So you have two very short guards with average speed on the court, both of whom are looking to hoist shots as soon as they touch the ball. When that doesn't work, he goes the Stephens route this year. Guy could shoot. And shoot and shoot and shoot. But not do much else. But there he was, getting tons of minutes early in the season. And there he goes, like White before him, one and done despite the hype.

I'll be curious to see what is meant by "a JUCO big man," since Ferry considers anyone over 6-5 to be a big man. Will it be another 6-8 big body who's a "catch and shoot from 3?" Because we already know THAT idea doesn't work. A somewhat serviceable post player who's only good for a couple of minutes a game? We could probably use 2-3 more of those actually to fill the minutes. Or another overhyped "beast" who's thrown in without any preparation then pretty much tied to the bench the rest of the way? Because that got old real quick.

As long as Ferry continues to insist that small (and slow, and poor defense) is better, and if he keeps shortening the length of his bench, then it might not matter who he brings in.

McKoy played a season at URI before going the JUCO route, so unlike the overhyped guards (and even the coach himself), there was experience at this level. I liked McKoy. But Ferry screwed around with his playing time early in the year, and despite having one of the softest out of conference schedules in the country, the Dukes paid for it in the loss column. It was no coincidence that they actually won a few games once McKoy returned to the lineup.

I don't know what that nonsense was about. That, and the Mason at the point experiment is what killed the season. If he doesn't do that, I think they win 3-4 more games. While a 15-15 record would have been mildly disappointing, we would be in a position where we could legitimately expect to post a winning record, and see some sort of postseason action next year.

Strangely enough, there were quite a few people on this board who thought that Mason at the point wasn't a bad idea. I wasn't one of them.

Board footera