Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2015 10:44 am  #1

Tarin Smith

Had a chance to chat with a local (NJ-NY) sportswriter who you Pittsburgh guys would equate to a Mike White. This is a legit sportswriter who sees hundreds of high school games every season and works for a major sports media outlet that's based in NYC. Here's what he had to say about Tarin Smith:
- Always liked him.
- Athletic, excellent defender, knows game, has some range.
- I bet he'll be exceptional in two years

I've always said that to win in the A-10, you need to have one of the top PGs in the conference. It would be great to see Tarin Smith develop into one of the best in the conference. Meanwhile, let's hope for at least some incremental continued growth (and certainly good health) from Mr. Colter.

5/12/2015 11:11 am  #2

Re: Tarin Smith

NICE REPORT E.D.!  NOTHING BETTER THAN SOME GOOD NEWS ABOUT D.U. PLAYERS TO PASS THE TIME AWAY UNTIL SEEING LIVE THAT TOM BRADY IS ABSENT FROM THE PATS LINE-UP IN SEPTEMBER!!

5/12/2015 12:49 pm  #3

ElDuque wrote:

Had a chance to chat with a local (NJ-NY) sportswriter who you Pittsburgh guys would equate to a Mike White. This is a legit sportswriter who sees hundreds of high school games every season and works for a major sports media outlet that's based in NYC. Here's what he had to say about Tarin Smith:
- Always liked him.
- Athletic, excellent defender, knows game, has some range.
- I bet he'll be exceptional in two years

I've always said that to win in the A-10, you need to have one of the top PGs in the conference. It would be great to see Tarin Smith develop into one of the best in the conference. Meanwhile, let's hope for at least some incremental continued growth (and certainly good health) from Mr. Colter.

You've been calling for this type of guard for a while. A Hurley guy at that. Barring unforseen problems (always a possibility at Duquesne ), we are set in the backcourt for the next 3 years.

5/12/2015 1:21 pm  #4

My reporter friend had the exact same quote about Smith being a Hurley guy. Based on what I've been told, I think it's safe to say that if Ferry hands Smith the keys in 2016-17, he will have an on-court leader who will run his team right. Being a "Hurley guy" means he's already played in more big games than most guys will ever see in a lifetime, he knows how to win, he'll play defense (YAY!), and he'll have a chance to be a big-time player.

I've said a couple of times, Castro is a bit of a question mark for me. Does he play "under control?" Or does he play like Stevens, White, and other big rep scorers that think "me" are the only two letters in "team?" I don't have a trustworthy scouting report on him as I do on Smith. But let's say he's a kid who also plays defense, who can hit threes but doesn't launch them just because he has the ball, who can attack the basket, finish, and hit FTs. Then indeed in 2 years we should have the best backcourt of the Ferry era. If Lewis, Robinson, Gill, Powell and Sanders can combine for 15 points, 15 rebounds and 3-4 blocks, and at least one of the swing players (Jackson or James) can score a little and defend the wing, well, I'll stop there. Too many "ifs" still buzzing around.

But good signing on Ferry's part, getting back to Smith.

5/12/2015 2:36 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

My reporter friend had the exact same quote about Smith being a Hurley guy. Based on what I've been told, I think it's safe to say that if Ferry hands Smith the keys in 2016-17, he will have an on-court leader who will run his team right. Being a "Hurley guy" means he's already played in more big games than most guys will ever see in a lifetime, he knows how to win, he'll play defense (YAY!), and he'll have a chance to be a big-time player.

I've said a couple of times, Castro is a bit of a question mark for me. Does he play "under control?" Or does he play like Stevens, White, and other big rep scorers that think "me" are the only two letters in "team?" I don't have a trustworthy scouting report on him as I do on Smith. But let's say he's a kid who also plays defense, who can hit threes but doesn't launch them just because he has the ball, who can attack the basket, finish, and hit FTs. Then indeed in 2 years we should have the best backcourt of the Ferry era. If Lewis, Robinson, Gill, Powell and Sanders can combine for 15 points, 15 rebounds and 3-4 blocks, and at least one of the swing players (Jackson or James) can score a little and defend the wing, well, I'll stop there. Too many "ifs" still buzzing around.

But good signing on Ferry's part, getting back to Smith.

I'm not sure we can compare Castro to White, and Stevens. Castro is a legit D1 recruit, who signed with a top 50 program. The other two were JC guys.

5/12/2015 2:51 pm  #6

Good to hear a positive report on Tarin Smith.  In regard to Rene, I think you'd be selling him short in comparing him to the two players mentioned.  Yes, he can score, but I think he will be a good team player and be able to make others playing around him better.

5/12/2015 2:55 pm  #7

I have to see it before I believe it WRT Castro. Sorry, but after some of the other hype that's been blown up our butts, I'm skeptical.

5/12/2015 5:09 pm  #8

I'm also a bit skeptical of Smith -  Don't know if it was scholarship limitations - but if the kid is really good - Why didn't "Papa" Hurley try to steer him to one of the kids?

5/13/2015 4:21 am  #9

Al, Bob Hurley's kids play all over the country. It's always been that way. He looks for the best fit for the kid, not necessarily the coach, even if it's his own son. I trust my source. He knows his stuff. Sorry, but if Tarin Smith fails here, we have to look at the coach.

5/13/2015 5:36 am  #10

El Duque:  I hope your source "IS RIGHT" as opposed to "telling you what you want to hear"  I've read enough quotes over the years about people who "can play for Duquesne"  (some from High School Coaches who had kids 6-4 that had big numbers just because they could make layups and get offensive rebounds against smaller competition) and while not placing Hurley in THAT group.  With coaches (who do that for a living making as many mistakes as they do -- might be reluctant to place stock in "arm chair" coaches.

Think it is a MAJOR stretch to say if a PLAYER can't make it - is on THE COACH -  I wonder if 100 coaches looked at Aaron Jackson and Chase Robinson - WHEN THEY CAME OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL - OPINION MIGHT HAVE BEEN SPLIT FAIRLY EVEN -  Aaron wasn't highly recruited -- Chase probably had similar offers - yet Aaron was as good as a player as we've had in the last 30 years - Chase had to go down a level.

5/13/2015 6:01 am  #11

Al, I agree, show me on the court. My reporter friend is someone I know going back 35 years to my newspaper days. He is an objective reporter who tells you what he believes, not what you want to hear. And I trust his opinion. He probably saw Smith play 20-30 times against good competition in HS, unlike other sources on the internet that watch 10 seconds of YouTube highlights and proclaim every recruit to be a Godsend. As I said earlier, my friend ranked Smith as the #2 PG in the state at that time. He picks all-state teams in two different sports.

PS, funny story. He congratulated DU on its first St. Anthony's kid, and I told him we had signed Sean Rooney years ago. His reply: "Rooney was a head case in 6th grade."

5/13/2015 6:49 am  #12

ElDuque wrote:

Al, I agree, show me on the court. My reporter friend is someone I know going back 35 years to my newspaper days. He is an objective reporter who tells you what he believes, not what you want to hear. And I trust his opinion. He probably saw Smith play 20-30 times against good competition in HS, unlike other sources on the internet that watch 10 seconds of YouTube highlights and proclaim every recruit to be a Godsend. As I said earlier, my friend ranked Smith as the #2 PG in the state at that time. He picks all-state teams in two different sports.

PS, funny story. He congratulated DU on its first St. Anthony's kid, and I told him we had signed Sean Rooney years ago. His reply: "Rooney was a head case in 6th grade."

You know, if Rooney had worked out, and if BC hadn't taken us out of the A10, I think Carroll would have gotten us close to where we wanted to go. We just had  a gaping hole at the 4, and Carroll could never fill it, though he tried.

5/13/2015 11:44 am  #13

When we signed Rooney, I thought he was going to be a major difference maker for us. I watched a game between Elizabeth HS and St. Anthony's that matched Luther Wright, a 7-footer who went to Seton Hall, and Rooney, who was 6-6. Rooney shut Wright down, and St. Anthony's won the game. Not a great scorer but a physical presence, tough defender and strong rebounder. And later in life, a regular on the Howard Stern show.

Board footera