Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2015 3:08 pm  #1

Next Season

I am turning the corner, and going to try to be more positive.  As long as I am not sucked back in by articles or comments about the past, I will be looking to the future.  Ferry is either going to get the job done or not.  I really hope he can.  When you look at the roster for next season he will most likely have three senior and two junior starters.  He will also have three second year players who saw plenty of action, as well as two highly regarded players who sat out and practiced with the team last year, and two freshman eligible players.

Looking to next year, of the four new players eligible for next year Mar'Qywell Jackson intrigues me the most.  From articles I read he had a good enough handle to have played some at the point in HS, and was described as a good rebounder and defender who excells in the open court.  How he will fit in next year is to be seen but I guess he will play the 2 and 3 spot.  A top 6 player in Michigan his senior year, two time All State, rated a top 100 player in the Country and a 3-4 star recruit by some services.   If Jackson can provide immediate help at the 3 this could be big for DU.

In any event, the table is set for Ferry next year, he just has to serve the dinner without spilling.  His team of course will all need to get stronger, and defend better next season, but for the most part, in my opinion, the talent and experience is there to win.  If Ferry is the next level coach he should be able to have his first winning season at DU and possibly make a big move up in the A10.   A losing season next year is unacceptable. Failure is not an option next season, Ferry must deliver.

Last edited by CLK (5/13/2015 3:18 pm)

5/13/2015 3:19 pm  #2

Re: Next Season

CLK wrote:

I am turning the corner, and going to try to be more positive.  As long as I am not sucked back in by articles or comments about the past, I will be looking to the future.  Ferry is either going to get the job done or not.  I really hope he can.  When you look at the roster for next season he will most likely have three senior and two junior starters.  He will also have three second year players who saw plenty of action, as well as two highly regarded players who sat out and practiced with the team last year, and two freshman eligible players.

Looking to next year, of the four new players eligible for next year Mar'Qywell Jackson intrigues me the most.  From articles I read he he has a good enough handle to have played some at the point in HS, and was described as a good rebounder and defender who excells in the open court.  How he will fit in next year is to be seen but I guess he will play the 2 and 3 spot.  A top 6 player in Michigan his senior year, two time All State, rate a top 100 player in the Country and a 3-4 star recruit by some services.   If Jackson can provide immediate help at the 3 this could be big for DU.

In any event, the table is set for Ferry next, he just has to serve the dinner without spilling.  His team of course will all need to get stronger, and defend better next season, but for the most part, in my opinion, the talent and experience is there to win.  If Ferry is the next level coach he should be able to have his first winning season at DU and possibly make a big move up in the A10.   A losing season next year is unacceptable. Failure is not an option next season, Ferry must deliver.

Great post! Now is the time. In fact, this has always been the year where we expected the team to make some noise. The terrible ooc results last year sucked the life out of the fan base, but last year wasn't really the year we've been pointing to. Baring major injuries, there is no excuse for a losing season. Beat RMU, win at least 2 games down in Florida, no home losses to cupcakes, and no losses like the ones at home vs Bona, and URI. If they can do that, this will be a happy message board for most of the year. Plus, they need to give Pitt a battle. They don't have to win, but it needs to be a game where the outcome is still in doubt with 5 minutes left.

5/13/2015 4:18 pm  #3

It's early but the key to me is not what the coahes get outta the 4 and 5 spots, but what they get outta the 3 spot.  I could be tempted very much to use Colter, Castro and Mason in the one two and three spots with any combination of the "bigs" we have at the four and five spots.  There are teams that used four guards in A-10 play during the year most notably URI and GW to some degree.  We got guys who look like guards and small forwards who should seeming fit the the mold of a three ala Billy Clark (James 6'4", Jackson 6' 5", Steel 6'4" , Jere Johnson 6'3").  We got plenty of guards for the one and two spots. (Colter, Castro, Mason, Jere Johnson) and we got the five "bigs" for underneath. Our "bigs" gotta be better after the bit of disappointment in last year's showings.  Plus,Sanders seems to be a real deal in that his point production usually equals his rebounding production.  Accepting that Lewis can improve as much this year as he did from his frosh to sophomore year and that Jordan can get over the malaise that seemed to envelop him, then a good start to a better inside game can be generated.  All in all, the outlook, preliminarily, is fairly good.  The talent level, by the reactions of our posters, has risen again.

5/13/2015 5:04 pm  #4

Colter's a point guard, Mason's a shooting guard, and Jones should be a backup swingman. We need to cultivate a better player there because he gives us nothing defensively, he takes too many bad shots, he turns the ball over, and he commits dumb fouls. I suspect Castro is a combo 1/2 but I've never seen him play.

5/13/2015 6:20 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

Colter's a point guard, Mason's a shooting guard, and Jones should be a backup swingman. We need to cultivate a better player there because he gives us nothing defensively, he takes too many bad shots, he turns the ball over, and he commits dumb fouls. I suspect Castro is a combo 1/2 but I've never seen him play.

Saw Castro in last year's summer league and will hopefully see him and the others again. As I recall, Castro did some PG duties in the games that I watched. Seemed comfortable bringing the ball up court but, again, it's the summer league. I have to concur with the other comments on this thread. Last year almost made me give up forever. Especially NJIT and Bobby Mo who played without their best player (at the time). What really concerns me is the defense. I know that we will score points but we can't give up 80+ ppg time and time again. Coach Ferry better have a plan to revamp the D entirely or we will be in deep doo-doo again.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

5/13/2015 7:02 pm  #6

"I could be tempted very much to use Colter, Castro and Mason in the one two and three spots"--Mason is a shooter no matter at what spot or position he is on the floor.  That was the biggest lack in anyone who was perceived to be our #3.  Plus Mason ain't all that shabby on the boards.  I kinda think he could be like the Kalinoski kid from Davidson who went all over the floor and hit three's with regularity and hit the boards pretty well. As I said, I could be tempted.... 

5/13/2015 8:08 pm  #7

Colter and Mason don't rebound too well. Mason had enough issues last year with the switch to the point. I'd leave him alone. Well, I might actually design a few plays for him, but what the hell, I'm not a coach. Peace.

5/13/2015 10:32 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

Colter and Mason don't rebound too well. Mason had enough issues last year with the switch to the point. I'd leave him alone. Well, I might actually design a few plays for him, but what the hell, I'm not a coach. Peace.

Agreed. After last year, I'd be very hesitant to start fooling around with Mason, or Colter. The ooc is the key to the season, and we need to hit the ground running. 9-4 is a must. Anything less than that will have them struggling to reach .500. If they do better than 9-4, then they may really break through, and have a very nice season.

5/14/2015 5:50 am  #9

Start your best returning 5 (Lewis, Gill, Jones, Colter, Mason) and start working Castro, James, Jackson, Robinson and Powell from there. Be vicious on defense, attack on offense, leave everything on the floor every night. Treat every opponent like you're facing Duke at Cameron. Take smart shots, hit FTs, hustle, scrap. It's not rocket science.

And to someone else's point: attack the glass. Our big men should definitely rebound better, especially Gill and Robby.

5/14/2015 8:14 am  #10

Good insight by all.

Hopefully the use of a foreign tour will be unitized to get a head start on the season.

5/14/2015 8:36 am  #11

DukesFan79 wrote:

Good insight by all.

Hopefully the use of a foreign tour will be unitized to get a head start on the season.

We've heard nothing about a tour, even though this is the perfect year for one. We did a tour Ron's second year, which I think helped us get off to a very strong start that season. We also did one his last year, which I thought was dumb, as the team had been hit with heavy graduation losses, and only had modest expectations, which proved to be true, as we finished at .500 vs D1 competition. Foreign tours can be done only once in a four year period, and should be used when you have a veteran team returning, like we do this year.

5/14/2015 9:20 am  #12

What foreign trip? Are we playing a game in London?

5/14/2015 11:06 am  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Good chat, but must disagree on Micah Mason as a rebounder.  He rebounded very well from the guard position.  If you factor in size, he was probably our best rebounder.  Now if our "bigs" would rebound in a manner that would be expected for their size, we would be a good rebounding team.  In my estimation, the improvement of our 4's and 5's will dictate how much this team will improve.  There is obviously much room for improvement for each of them.

5/14/2015 11:07 am  #14

There will definitely be a tour.

5/14/2015 11:42 am  #15

There definitely should be a tour. No matter if you suck or are kentucky you can always get better.  I think the practice time is more important than the games. i checked the website when they released the info about canada under RE and it wasn't until July so I guess there's still time to take a trip, if they haven't planned one already. If they do take a trip hopefully they play decent competition by going to somewhere in Europe or the bahamas.

5/14/2015 1:42 pm  #16

The biggest improvement that is needed for next year is not with the players but with the coaching.  Ferry needs to scrap the exclusive one size fits all, 24/7, 2-3 zone.  It may have a place, but not used exclusively.  This team needs to learn, and be able to switch to, other options when we are getting creamed by teams like Davidson with shooters who's eyes light up when they see zone.  Teams get way too comfortable against our exclusive 2-3 zone.  The now famous FAM LHTM (Let's hope they miss) defense has to change.  We have more players, more length, more athletes so there is no reason the team can't learn to play man, switch to a full court press on occasions (not just out of desperation ) or vary zones depending on match ups or situations.  I watch HS teams with multiple defenses.  To use a coined phrase...time for Ferry to step up.

Last edited by CLK (5/14/2015 1:50 pm)

5/14/2015 3:40 pm  #17

levon1975 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Good chat, but must disagree on Micah Mason as a rebounder.  He rebounded very well from the guard position.  If you factor in size, he was probably our best rebounder.  Now if our "bigs" would rebound in a manner that would be expected for their size, we would be a good rebounding team.  In my estimation, the improvement of our 4's and 5's will dictate how much this team will improve.  There is obviously much room for improvement for each of them.

I stand corrected, he did increase his rebounding stats year over year. But how much of it was because our bigs don't get the job done?

5/14/2015 4:15 pm  #18

I heard from a very good source that the team is playing/touring in Ireland.

5/14/2015 4:41 pm  #19

Good to hear

5/14/2015 5:03 pm  #20

FanODukes wrote:

I heard from a very good source that the team is playing/touring in Ireland.

Fantastic! This increases my optimism!

5/14/2015 9:23 pm  #21

I want to beat Pitt. 16 years is too long. One win will change our school. If they players act like its their superbowl it can be done 

Roll Dukes Roll

5/14/2015 9:55 pm  #22

Be nice to punch Bobby Mo in the mouth for a change first.

5/15/2015 12:20 am  #23

currentstudent wrote:

I want to beat Pitt. 16 years is too long. One win will change our school. If they players act like its their superbowl it can be done 

Short term, beating Pitt is not that important. Putting too much emphasis on that game could be disastrous. If it comes, great. Beating Bobby Mo is the step we need to take. When we become a winning program, we can then worry about beating Pitt. Making it our Super Bowl at this time is a mistake. Beating Pitt, but finishing 12-20 means nothing. Losing to Pitt, but going 20-12 would be great.

5/15/2015 9:22 am  #24

I'm not a moral victory guy. I always want my Super Bowl to be the Super Bowl.

Finish in the top 4 in the A-10, win a couple tournament games, make the NCAA Tournament, be respectful. Nice to beat Pitt (we'd all love to gloat about that one), but if we're not winning it means jack.

5/15/2015 7:53 pm  #25

It isn't as though Jim Ferry is going to tell his players that Bobby Mo or Pitt is the big game of the year. As in "This is it guys, win this one and you've already achieved a big season."

Every coach wants to win every game, and if the players don't feel the same way, there's a big problem.
However, true that we have seen this team play with less than great enthusiasm. At least apparently.

Board footera