Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2015 6:17 pm  #1

Amodio to Quinnipiac

@JonAlba: Sources: #Quinnipiac will name former #Duquesne athletic director Greg Amodio its new AD tomorrow morning. http://t.co/pH9kXAvpcO

6/09/2015 7:21 pm  #2

Re: Amodio to Quinnipiac

Wow can't believe it's happening!

6/09/2015 8:24 pm  #3

I love how the tweet says former.   This is perfect timing.    Hire an interim AD.   Let the new president pick a new one. 

Quinnipiac is a lateral move at best.   They have hockey and men's lax. 

He obviously saw the writing on the wall.

Last edited by duqkurt (6/09/2015 8:40 pm)

6/09/2015 8:44 pm  #4

End of an error.

6/09/2015 8:45 pm  #5

Please don't let Charlie hire the new AD. That's all

6/09/2015 8:45 pm  #6

ElDuque wrote:

End of an error.

Classic.

6/09/2015 8:47 pm  #7

There is no way Charlie can make this hire.   Some interim person from the staff.  Then hire a new one. Ferry got two years to prove himself.

Last edited by duqkurt (6/09/2015 8:47 pm)

6/09/2015 8:52 pm  #8

6/09/2015 9:02 pm  #9

Was just coming to post this.  A disaster since Day 1.  Yep. 

Pushed out.  Even better.  I'm glad they had the balls to push that ass hat out.  Goodbye to your smug self serving face.  Absolutely thrilled with this news!

6/09/2015 9:02 pm  #10

Name Jarrett Durham as interim AD and as head of the search committee for the next one.  He is fully qualified to do both. 

6/09/2015 9:11 pm  #11

VBC wrote:

Name Jarrett Durham as interim AD and as head of the search committee for the next one.  He is fully qualified to do both. 

Jarrett is not even with the ATh Department anymore.  At least I don't believe he is.

6/09/2015 9:36 pm  #12

Durham is not on staff anymore.  Also I see that woman from Learfield Sports who was responsible along with GA for that horrible radio contract is also no longer on staff.   

That contract was more than enough to get them both fired.  I said this many times. That format change at 100.7 was known in the Pittsburgh market for at least a year.  They were negotiating to dump the contracts of their talk line-up

That contract was pure negligence.  Plain and simple.

6/09/2015 10:55 pm  #13

duqkurt wrote:

I love how the tweet says former. This is perfect timing. Hire an interim AD. Let the new president pick a new one.

Quinnipiac is a lateral move at best. They have hockey and men's lax.

He obviously saw the writing on the wall.

I generally agree with the sentiment fo this post though I wouldn't say the timing is perfect. It'd have been nice if he had found a new job a month after the next president signed their contract. That said, I completely agree that they need to proceed with an interim. 

I think GA had his flaws, but I think he had some successes as well.  I'm not inviting a debate on his Duquesne career by saying that, but regardless of my opinion, I do think his clock at Duquesne was running out. This is a better outcome than him being fired.

I think this is a crucial moment for atheltics at Duquesne and I think we'll see just how much the school values the department and it's success by how they move forward. They provided improved but still modest financial support for the program during Amodio's tenure. Will they keep it up or will the lack of ROI cause them to retreat to their 80's - 90's position?

EDIT: Did some research after I posted this. This is a big step down in conference for GA, but their athletic department is considerably larger. $17 million at Duquesne vs a little shy of $24 million for Quinnipiac. They spend about a million less on men's hoops though. I still don't know if I see it this way, but one could argue that this is a slight promotion. He's clearly in a better situation for the sake of career which honestly could have ended at any moment here. 

Last edited by steve19981 (6/09/2015 11:28 pm)

6/09/2015 11:34 pm  #14

YES YES YES!
BEST NEWS ALL DAY
Let the new president hand pick the new AD
ROLL DUKESSSSS

Roll Dukes Roll

6/10/2015 3:52 am  #15

I just double checked the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

This is great news. I'm looking forward to reading the internal confidential memo that presaged his leaving.

Time to start the healing process.

6/10/2015 5:57 am  #16

I better not see Steve Pederson on campus.

6/10/2015 6:24 am  #17

THANK YOU DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY

6/10/2015 6:51 am  #18

I don't care if Amodio got a promotion, demotion or left to marry the Queen.   I'm just glad he is gone and like Roseceaux said the healing can begin.

The athletic department tweeted out a picture yesterday of an award they received from the NEC.  Phil Racciot accepted the award.   He would be the odds on choice for Interim Athletic Director.   He is listed on the website as Senior Associate AD so he would be next in line.  And he will actually make eye contact with the common fans.

Two people that I would like them to consider long term would be (I know the chances of either are slim);
EJ Borghetti of Pitt
Coleman of RMU

Last edited by duqkurt (6/10/2015 7:03 am)

6/10/2015 7:07 am  #19

I am resigned to the fact that this program will never be resurrected so it doesn't really matter to me anymore. It would take years, if not decades, to reverse the fortunes of the department. People aren't coming back, opening their check books and buying tickets just because there is a new face as AD. Amodio crashed the plane, got out and walked away from the mess, leaving it for someone else to clean up. A monumental job, and one that the new guy is more likely to fail at than succeed.

6/10/2015 7:13 am  #20

Whoever the next AD maybe they have a huge uphill battle. The staff new or current  has to work 24/7 to bring back respectability. Maybe the new hire outside the box a Pittsburgh kid please no New Yorkers (Coleary &  Amodio). National connections pro sport universities TV etc. hire staff to do the everyday jobs. If Charlie forced GAs hand Thankyou! It's a shame Tom Donuhoe is not a little younger but indeed he would get people's attention especially in Pittsburgh. If not find a Pittsburgh guy who has experience on a national basis.

6/10/2015 7:16 am  #21

rittersdiner wrote:

I am resigned to the fact that this program will never be resurrected so it doesn't really matter to me anymore. It would take years, if not decades, to reverse the fortunes of the department. People aren't coming back, opening their check books and buying tickets just because there is a new face as AD. Amodio crashed the plane, got out and walked away from the mess, leaving it for someone else to clean up. A monumental job, and one that the new guy is more likely to fail at than succeed.

There is a structure in place that wasnt there when he arrived.  They have improved in areas.   The fans and alumni will have to be brought back slowly.  But as long as he was AD, they were never coming back.   Too many bridges burned. 

People will come back if there is success.   Football is in decent shape at the NEC level, womens bb is in good shape.  Men's basketball obviously is the $$$ maker and at a low point.   But it can be done.   

Last edited by duqkurt (6/10/2015 7:17 am)

6/10/2015 7:56 am  #22

Ironduke81 wrote:

Whoever the next AD maybe they have a huge uphill battle. The staff new or current has to work 24/7 to bring back respectability. Maybe the new hire outside the box a Pittsburgh kid please no New Yorkers (Coleary & Amodio). National connections pro sport universities TV etc. hire staff to do the everyday jobs. If Charlie forced GAs hand Thankyou! It's a shame Tom Donuhoe is not a little younger but indeed he would get people's attention especially in Pittsburgh. If not find a Pittsburgh guy who has experience on a national basis.

I hope DU gets it right this time.  Amodio strength was supposedly marketing, but he alienated so many alums during his tenure.  The next guy has to now go out and rebuild all those burnt bridges.  Getting rid of Amodio was a big first step, but I agree with others who state that this needs to be followed up by the University in provoding the resources and facilities necessary to win championships.  That's still the goal, right? 

6/10/2015 10:05 am  #23

Jarrett would make sense, but from what we have seen from Duquesne regarding sports, they could also appoint Father Hogan interim AD!

6/10/2015 10:16 am  #24

Craig Meyer ‏@CraigMeyerPG   1m1 minute ago Duquesne president Charles Dougherty has named associate AD Phillip Racicot the interim AD. A national search will begin "immediately."

6/10/2015 10:19 am  #25

Mr. Durham is a nice guy, but I wouldn't want him in the AD office.  His viewpoints made on the broadcast this year such as you have to learn to lose first before you win and other comments demonstrate that I believe he is out of touch with the current state of affairs in college basketball today.
In addition, whomever comes in needs to get the other members of the Athletic Department a good Dale Carnegie Course on interacting with people.  Not to mention names, there is another gentleman who sits at the scorers media table who works in the Athletic Department who is as friendly as a porcupine.  His people skills are lacking greatly and he is another one who has trouble making eye contact when walking by people.  The entire department either needs retrained or new folks need brought in.

Last edited by FAM (6/10/2015 10:20 am)

Board footera