Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2015 10:21 am  #26

Re: Amodio to Quinnipiac

CLK wrote:

Craig Meyer ‏@CraigMeyerPG   1m1 minute ago Duquesne president Charles Dougherty has named associate AD Phillip Racicot the interim AD. A national search will begin "immediately."

I was right on Raciot.   Disappointed that CD is doing the search.   This should be the next President's call.    

6/10/2015 10:26 am  #27

FAM wrote:

Mr. Durham is a nice guy, but I wouldn't want him in the AD office.  His viewpoints made on the broadcast this year such as you have to learn to lose first before you win and other comments demonstrate that I believe he is out of touch with the current state of affairs in college basketball today.
In addition, whomever comes in needs to get the other members of the Athletic Department a good Dale Carnegie Course on interacting with people.  Not to mention names, there is another gentleman who sits at the scorers media table who works in the Athletic Department who is as friendly as a porcupine.  His people skills are lacking greatly and he is another one who has trouble making eye contact when walking by people.  The entire department either needs retrained or new folks need brought in.

Agree 100%.  Jarrett isn't even a staff member now.   He used to be an assoicate AD.   They are not hiring him for the AD position. 

6/10/2015 10:29 am  #28

Correct duqkurt, that should be the job of the incoming President!  If Pitt went without an AD for a few months, surely Duquesne can do the same.  

On a basketball note, this still does not make me feel any more secure with Ferry as the coach.  IN fact, my understanding is that Amodio was extremely cooperative and giving to Ferry since he brought him in and knew the impact HE SAID this would have on the men's program.  It is still taking Ferry a lot longer to get a winner than the last coach and Ferry still has NOT proven he can win in this league.  But since the new AD will not have been the one who brought fERRY in, he will hopefully be on a SHORTER LEASH!

Last edited by FAM (6/10/2015 10:32 am)

6/10/2015 10:33 am  #29

duqkurt wrote:

CLK wrote:

Craig Meyer ‏@CraigMeyerPG 1m1 minute ago Duquesne president Charles Dougherty has named associate AD Phillip Racicot the interim AD. A national search will begin "immediately."

I was right on Raciot. Disappointed that CD is doing the search. This should be the next President's call.  

Amodio's last day is 7/2.  If Charlie is going to do this he needs to involve a search committee not including any of Amodio's minions.  He needs to reach out and include some of the heavy hitters and sponsors that  Amodio drove away, and a professional search firm.  Don't screw it up again!

6/10/2015 10:59 am  #30

Have no faith in CD making this hire. None.  Remember by all accounts he thought GA was doing a great job and there was no reason to make a change.   

CD's record is the same as GAs.  Why should he be allowed to hire the next AD?

6/10/2015 11:37 am  #31

How does a MAAC school spend  6.5 million dollars more than Duquesne? That incredible

6/10/2015 12:03 pm  #32

They probably have more sports that DU, since the purge of baseball, wrestling and men's swimming.  I read that they have D-! Hockey, so that is costly.

6/10/2015 12:20 pm  #33

Ironduke81 wrote:

Whoever the next AD maybe they have a huge uphill battle. The staff new or current has to work 24/7 to bring back respectability. Maybe the new hire outside the box a Pittsburgh kid please no New Yorkers (Coleary & Amodio). National connections pro sport universities TV etc. hire staff to do the everyday jobs. If Charlie forced GAs hand Thankyou! It's a shame Tom Donuhoe is not a little younger but indeed he would get people's attention especially in Pittsburgh. If not find a Pittsburgh guy who has experience on a national basis.

Tom Donahoe!?? You mean the guy Bill Cowher had to get run off before the Steelers could win. You mean the "this isn't the Salvation Army" guy? I'd hire Steve Pederson first, and he was a clown.
You really want an out of the box suggestion; Dave Wandstedt. Wanny is in many ways the Ron Everhart of Pitt. Similar sucess at a hard place to win, and fired under similar circumstances. Super nice guy who is well liked locally. (I'd suggest Ron, but I think he's got another head coaching job coming soon).

6/10/2015 12:32 pm  #34

CLK wrote:

Craig Meyer ‏@CraigMeyerPG 1m1 minute ago Duquesne president Charles Dougherty has named associate AD Phillip Racicot the interim AD. A national search will begin "immediately."

BTW I believe there needs to be "fresh air" brought into the Athletic Dept.  No way should Racicot (Amodio's right hand man) be considered for the position.  

6/10/2015 12:40 pm  #35

If I had my druthers, I'd like to see a Duquesne guy (or woman) get the job. It COULDN'T happen -- I doubt we have the money, and I doubt he has the interest -- but Len Komorowski, who played tennis at DU in the late 1970s, and who is now president of the Cleveland Cavaliers, for example. Rod Scott, who played basketball at DU, worked for the Bucs for a while. Someone LIKE that.

Or, I'd like to hire someone from an elite program (Duke, Kentucky, for example).

I would also look at hiring someone who is well-liked in Pittsburgh. How about a retired Steeler like Brett Kiesel? You can have plenty of "do-its" getting stuff done under him; imagine Da Beard asking for money and someone saying "no"? That last one is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that a retired Steeler, Pirate or Penguin -- well, maybe not a frickin' hockey player -- with a backround in business and administration could be a good fit.

6/10/2015 12:56 pm  #36

This job is the same as hiring a CEO for a major business.  This is no job for OJT in my opinion. DU needs to make a financial investment to hire a quality existing AD from a winning program. 

6/10/2015 1:12 pm  #37

CLK wrote:

This job is the same as hiring a CEO for a major business.  This is no job for OJT in my opinion. DU needs to make a financial investment to hire a quality existing AD from a winning program. 

Agree.  You can't afford to have someone and give OJT training.   What successful current AD at any level is going to come to DU?   

I can't even see Coleman at RMU giving them any consideration?   What do people think of EJ Borghetti at Pitt?   Tremendous rep with the media. Associate AD. I really like to see them target him.

6/10/2015 2:24 pm  #38

Perhaps and Associate AD with a Marketing background from a school like Xavier that has had success and is similar to Duquesne!

6/10/2015 2:38 pm  #39

To Levon's point, there are hundreds of current ADs/assistant ADs/associate ADs across the country who would love the opportunity to step up to this position. Doesn't necessarily make any of them the best candidate.

I'd prefer someone with the jibs to rebuild the brand.

Last edited by ElDuque (6/10/2015 2:39 pm)

6/10/2015 2:48 pm  #40

CLK wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

CLK wrote:

Agree. You can't afford to have someone and give OJT training. What successful current AD at any level is going to come to DU?

I can't even see Coleman at RMU giving them any consideration? What do people think of EJ Borghetti at Pitt? Tremendous rep with the media. Associate AD. I really like to see them target him.

No assistant.  Someone with a track record at the helm.  Money talks in landing the right AD.  But that is only part of the answer.  There needs to be a commitment by the University to athletic excellence.  By that I mean there needs to be a plan, and funding, to make DU competitive in terms of resources and facilities. I really believe DU is a sleeping giant in need of proper leadership and funding.  DU  should complete a "needs assessment", and do it right.  With demonstrated good faith in hand in the form of funding plans I am sure DU could attract the right AD.

6/10/2015 3:51 pm  #41

Ah, "commitment."

That's the word that scares me. Duquesne is committed to fielding a program. Dougherty's a lame duck. I don't trust the Board to do the right thing.

6/10/2015 3:53 pm  #42

I was up at Duquesne last week.  First time in twenty years.  The campus has changed quite a bit; all for the better.  Beautiful.  The city, too.  I hardly recognize it.  But from far away, for me, it's always been about Duquesne Basketball.  Now I watch jittery video on my computer, but it's better than nothing.  I still have my "gifted" warm up jacket hanging in my closet; if they come to L.A., I'll break it out.  To the point: I never met the A.D., but all of you cannot be wrong and the wins-and-losses facts are the facts.  We have lost our brand; that too is a fact.  Another is that this is certainly a turning point.  I believe that the outgoing administration should recuse themselves, and those who can turn this the program around, step up. I will remind you that for most of the last century Duquesne was THE winner in Pittsburgh.  The Nelson Brothers and Mr, Durham were rock stars.  I say this because a school which came into being to serve the underclass, whose basketball team did much to change the color barriers in sports, and who gave me a good goddamn Catholic education, deserves a full effort.

6/10/2015 4:09 pm  #43

CLK wrote:

CLK wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Agree. You can't afford to have someone and give OJT training. What successful current AD at any level is going to come to DU?

I can't even see Coleman at RMU giving them any consideration? What do people think of EJ Borghetti at Pitt? Tremendous rep with the media. Associate AD. I really like to see them target him.

No assistant.  Someone with a track record at the helm.  Money talks in landing the right AD.  But that is only part of the answer.  There needs to be a commitment by the University to athletic excellence.  By that I mean there needs to be a plan, and funding, to make DU competitive in terms of resources and facilities. I really believe DU is a sleeping giant in need of proper leadership and funding.  DU  should complete a "needs assessment", and do it right.  With demonstrated good faith in hand in the form of funding plans I am sure DU could attract the right AD.

Actually I was joking about the profile of the Associate AD from X with a Marketing background.  That is what we hired the last time!  I thought you guys would pick that up.

6/10/2015 4:44 pm  #44

Last edited by CLK (6/10/2015 4:59 pm)

6/10/2015 5:36 pm  #45

I shouldn't have watched that video while eating dinner.  When the interviewer said that men's basketball was Amodio's "area of expertise," I almost choked on my eggplant.

6/10/2015 5:49 pm  #46

No matter who they hire, it will be years before this can be turned around. The coach is here for the remainder of his contract, the talent level is medicore at best, the facility is still mediocre at best. I don't think this hire will bring immediate change to a program that is slowly dying again.

6/10/2015 7:29 pm  #47

Officer Dribble wrote:

I shouldn't have watched that video while eating dinner.  When the interviewer said that men's basketball was Amodio's "area of expertise," I almost choked on my eggplant.

LOL.  Here is another one you might like on his building expertise.  Interesting that Dejan's article is mentioned on this school site. 

http://theqbsn.com/2015/06/10/greg-amodio-named-new-qu-athletic-director/

6/10/2015 8:29 pm  #48

CLK wrote:

Officer Dribble wrote:

LOL.  Here is another one you might like on his building expertise.  Interesting that Dejan's article is mentioned on this school site. 

http://theqbsn.com/2015/06/10/greg-amodio-named-new-qu-athletic-director/

Thank you for that link. I agree with the quinnipiac president. I also "couldn't be happier" to have Greg join the Bobcat family!

Last edited by rosceaux (6/10/2015 8:55 pm)

6/10/2015 9:37 pm  #49

rittersdiner wrote:

No matter who they hire, it will be years before this can be turned around. The coach is here for the remainder of his contract, the talent level is medicore at best, the facility is still mediocre at best. I don't think this hire will bring immediate change to a program that is slowly dying again.

There's always someone to throw the wet blanket on the celebration.

6/10/2015 9:53 pm  #50

Why aren't people more upset that appears that Dougherty will be making this hire?   I don't understand why they wouldn't let this wait until new President. 

Seriously, my joy of him leaving is replaced my more anger with how the University operates.

Board footera