Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2015 12:10 pm  #1

Jimmy Ferry's moment to shine

Now that Amodio is signed, sealed and delivered to Quinnipiac, I want to offer what I believe to be good advice to Jimmy Ferry. Good, from the point of view that it will be good for him. And good, from the point of view that the Duquesne basketball community will benefit tremendously.

Here's the advice:

Step up, man, and be the face of the program.

The program killer is gone, taking with him the broken relationships with alumni, students and the press. The would-be marketing genius who actually lowered our profile, is out the door. The author of our divided fan base has said adios. Yes, he will be replaced, hopefully with someone who can actually be effective in the job, and not someone who will spend the next 5-7 years making excuses for being the anti-Larry-the-Cable-Guy ("Can't get 'er done"). If we do things the Duquesne way, the process will take months, cost more money than it would take to replace Palumbo with MSG West, cost thousands of fans, and result in the wrong person being chosen.

Actually, let's plan on that happening.

In the meantime, Jimmy Ferry must become the face of Duquesne basketball. Talk to the fans. Talk to the alumni. Talk to the students. Walk around campus. Bring a positive message. Say the right things. Do the right things. Show people why they should support you, instead of (as Amodio did) Complaining about the fact that they didn't. Engage. Inspire. Make it work.

You will make it EASIER and BETTER for Duquesne to find someone good for the AD position, and you will have made their life easier and better by the time they get here.

To be sure, you will have to continue to deal with a lot of negativity (right, Ritter's Diner?). But I think there are enough people like me who WANT to support you and the program, who were turned off by Amodio. I can't speak for others, but I will come back in a big way as a supporter.

Do it, Jimmy. Don't wait for stuff to fall into place. This is Duquesne. It doesn't fall into place; it falls on your head. Step up. Be the face of the program.

Be Duquesne basketball.

6/10/2015 12:45 pm  #2

Re: Jimmy Ferry's moment to shine

Ferry needs to start wining starting next year.  No excuses.  If he is ever going to be the "next level" coach he has to show visible signs next season (16 to 17 wins).  If he does, I believe the DU basketball community will rally behind him.  If not he needs to start looking to see if he can get lucky like Amodio before he gets fired.  I really hope he feels a sense of urgency and takes ownership, and the new AD makes clear performance expectations.

6/10/2015 7:43 pm  #3

Re: Jimmy Ferry's moment to shine

To the moderators of this website.  Maybe it is time to push for "Shoo-Shoo, Rah-Rah, THE NEXT GENERATION" to get rid of the negative identity of the past 40 years that has hung around the necks of the alumni, fans,players, coaches and athletic department like a swarm of albatross.  Maybe currentstudent, ONE OF YOUR MOST RECENT POSTERS, can utilize his talents to start and make this his legacy as a Duquesne student/fan/alum.  

Board footera