Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2015 11:42 am  #1

6/11/2015 12:06 pm  #2

Re: Give me a guy LIKE this

Sadly, you really don't know what you're getting until they get here. Amodio looked like a great hire when he came here. He was just what we were hoping for, coming from Xavier, which is what we aspired to become. Didn't quite work out that way, did it?

6/11/2015 12:39 pm  #3

ElDuque this is exactly the type of candidate I am suggesting that we need.  He is a basketball AD. He was a player at ND, has extensive experience as an Associate AD, and a few years of of top man experience at a rising program at Buffalo.  They need you on the search committee! 

6/11/2015 1:17 pm  #4

CLK wrote:

ElDuque this is exactly the type of candidate I am suggesting that we need.  He is a basketball AD. He was a player at ND, has extensive experience as an Associate AD, and a few years of of top man experience at a rising program at Buffalo.  They need you on the search committee! 

Buffalo plays football. I can't imagine any AD at a football school would leave to take over a basketball only unless they were a major power, and maybe not even then. This guy will be at a P5 school soon. We have a choice of the following:
Assistant AD at a major school.
AD from a school in a lower conference.
Damaged goods AD from a major school.
An outside the box hire. Someone who is not currently involved in college athletics.

This is similar to the types of coaches we are able to hire.

6/11/2015 2:01 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Buffalo plays football. I can't imagine any AD at a football school would leave to take over a basketball only unless they were a major power, and maybe not even then. This guy will be at a P5 school soon. We have a choice of the following:
Assistant AD at a major school.
AD from a school in a lower conference.
Damaged goods AD from a major school.
An outside the box hire. Someone who is not currently involved in college athletics.

This is similar to the types of coaches we are able to hire.

I said he was the type of candidate...with basketball experience.  I am not saying he would come here.  As I said in a previous post: 

"Money talks in landing the right AD.  But that is only part of the answer.  There needs to be a commitment by the University to athletic excellence.  By that I mean there needs to be a plan, and funding, to make DU competitive in terms of resources and facilities. I really believe DU is a sleeping giant in need of proper leadership and funding.  DU  should complete a "needs assessment", and do it right.  With demonstrated good faith in hand in the form of funding plans I am sure DU could attract the right AD."

I am tired of small time thinking.  DU either is committed to winning championships, in which case they need to make the appropriate investment, or should just fold their athletic tent and walk away. 40 years of doing it half assed and on the cheap is never going to cut it.  If this is the small minded attitude at DU they may as well admit they are not serious and give it up.  Stop with the BS about wanting to win championships..

Last edited by CLK (6/11/2015 2:07 pm)

6/11/2015 2:52 pm  #6

His brother, Brian, is the associate athletics director for development at the University of Tulsa.

6/11/2015 3:22 pm  #7

Would be a great candidate, unfortunately Danny White has no reason to take this job. His father, Kevin White, is the most respected and well known AD in the country at Duke. His brother Michael White is the new coach at Florida. I suspect the next job he will take will be in the SEC or ACC.

6/11/2015 3:29 pm  #8

ElDuque wrote:

His brother, Brian, is the associate athletics director for development at the University of Tulsa.

This is the level of guy you should be looking at.

6/11/2015 3:47 pm  #9

LIKE.
I said, give me a guy LIKE  this. Hell, if I'm Danny White, I would laugh in Dougherty's face unless the word "million" entered the salary conversation.

6/11/2015 4:13 pm  #10

My mistake, that was mis read.

How about a candidate like this?
http://bubearcats.com/staff.aspx?staff=8

Has been the AD at Binghampton and St. Peter's. And was associate AD at St. John's and Seton Hall. Also worked on PJ Carlesimo's coaching staff at Seton Hall, so he is obviously a basketball minded administrator.

At Binghampton he overseas a staff of over a 100, and a budget of over $14 million.

6/11/2015 4:25 pm  #11

DukesFan79 wrote:

Has been the AD at Binghampton and St. Peter's. And was associate AD at St. John's and Seton Hall. Also worked on PJ Carlesimo's coaching staff at Seton Hall, so he is obviously a basketball minded administrator.

At Binghampton he overseas a staff of over a 100, and a budget of over $14 million.

Sounds good. Of course, they all look and sound good until they get here. Brian Colleary looked good when we hired him. Time will tell.

6/11/2015 4:33 pm  #12

Interesting reading from the last time were in this situation.  http://www.voy.com/26400/1/17005.html

Biggest difference between then and now, is that despite the skeptics, I actually think the team is set up to be pretty decent going forward. That was certainly not the case 10 years ago.

6/11/2015 4:47 pm  #13

DukesFan79 wrote:

He surely looks like a very good candidate who meets the criteria I previously mentioned including being basketball minded.  Hits all the right cords in his bio.  Recapturing community support and engaging the students, school pride and spirit are definitely high on the list of priorities for DU.

Elliott said. “We also are fortunate to have community support as strong as any in the country. Now as an established NCAA Division I program, our department continues to strive to win conference championships and grow the Binghamton brand. We want to create national exposure for our accomplishments in both the athletics and academics realms and all the while, continue to be a source of pride for the University.” 

Elliott has long been a proponent of student spirit and engagement with athletics and his “Green Day Fridays” theme has spread around campus with the help of Baxter, BU’s highly-visible and energetic mascot. School spirit has skyrocketed, thanks to the athletics-driven message of students and university staff wearing school colors and banding together with pride.

This decision should have the strong input of others outside of the University.  I would hope that Dougherty or whoever is incharge of the search reaches out to some of those Amodio has alienated for their input.

Last edited by CLK (6/11/2015 4:54 pm)

6/11/2015 10:54 pm  #14

duq81 suggested at #4 for a hire "An outside the box hire. Someone who is not currently involved in college athletics." Here is an off the wall idea.  John Fedko retired from WPXI and took over the headmaster's job at Vincentian. Suprisingly, he is doing the job there seemingly without hitches.  Why not approach Guy Junker? ... or someone LIKE him.  What does Guy know about athletics?  A lot from radio and TV standpoints.  He knows a lot of people nationally.  He projects a good image.  He looks and sounds like a salesman.  He has all the appearances of credibility.  Duquesne needs to be re-sold to our alums, prospective students, etc, etc, etc. He or someone like him ought to be given some thought.

6/12/2015 4:40 am  #15

Not enough substance. Plus you shorten his name, you get GuyJunk.

Board footera