Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2015 6:32 am  #1

Dr. Dougherty & Duquesne's brand

You can point to any of Dr. Dougherty's accomplishments, of which there are many, but in my mind his legacy will be the diminished equity of Duquesne's brand. Here is another opportunity for him to step in front of reporters and talk about our athletic program and its future, and he, as he always does, refuses to comment.

We hear from connected sources that Dougherty is supportive of Jimmy Ferry, but it never comes from Dougherty. We hear about commitment but never from him. As others have pointed out, he recycles news releases filled with blather and lacking in substance and avoids taking any opportunity to stand up and lead. In that sense, Dougherty has been a fine administrator, but a poor leader.

Seriously, he doesn't have a PR staff that can coach him for a press conference? I would offer to visit campus for a week on my own dime to do this for him. I have 35 years of branding, marketing and PR experience. I am extensively trained in message development and delivery and I get CEOs ready to talk to the press all the time. But it would fall on deaf ears because the policy is to issue recycled news releases and say nothing and hope the story goes away.

I hope Duquesne's next president is a leader. It will be a refreshing change.

The brand will need some serious fixing after Dougherty.

6/12/2015 7:05 am  #2

Re: Dr. Dougherty & Duquesne's brand

Greg was his boy. He's not going to say anything that makes it look like he wasn't happy with the job Amodio did.

6/12/2015 7:06 am  #3

ED, well said!!!  Everyone at Duquesne is willing to take the on slot of negative press that is associated with just about every aspect of the athletic department. No one ever wants to get ahead of the story and they are willing to release tidbits as morsels to reporters thinking it will buy them some favor. The university in general needs a major kick in the ass to bring it into this centuries means of communication.

6/12/2015 8:05 am  #4

I know this is not a popular sentiment as I have been informed here that it is a tired, old complaint but what Duquesne does now with the AD job, the President and the overall administrative team will tell a lot about whether or not the problem with men's basketball and other departments (PR among them) is institutional and a function of lack of administrative support and competence or something else. 

I'm still in the old time camp with the understanding that things got better  under Murray and Dougherty.  But it's easy to get better when you are about as low as you can go in the first place.  I would like to think that the President search committee would listen to alumni and I again suggest that all write to them in strong terms about the next president, his/her role in general and his/her role in bringing back a failing operation to prominence.

6/12/2015 8:57 am  #5

Mulder, good points. I hope others do that. I have been persona non grata on campus since the Colleary/Nee stuff. Dr. Dougherty was told by the outgoing AD (Colleary) that I was, to be polite, a mentally unbalanced person. Hard to muster any credibility after that.

And yes, I actually saw that in writing.

6/12/2015 9:26 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

Mulder, good points. I hope others do that. I have been persona non grata on campus since the Colleary/Nee stuff. Dr. Dougherty was told by the outgoing AD (Colleary) that I was, to be polite, a mentally unbalanced person. Hard to muster any credibility after that.

You mean you were accused of being unbalanced by a guy accused of some very bad things that caused the school to have to pay out some big money, and who lost a job due to scalping tickets?

6/12/2015 9:31 am  #7

Dougherty is failing miserably at not giving the press an interview regarding the AD search.   It is a valid question that needs to be answered.   Why Dr. Dougherty with you leaving is this search being conducted now?   

I wish they would take ED up on his offer and learn some freaking public relations skills.

6/12/2015 10:09 am  #8

ElDuque wrote:

At best, that's unfortunate and at worst that's just plain stupid - because of  your job as sports editor?

6/12/2015 11:36 am  #9

No, because of my big mouth as a fan and alumnus. Heck, I had a major run-in with Mr. Manning as a student, but my friend and mentor Nellie King intervened. Mr. Colleary was trying to save his neck at the time when Dr. D. was informed of my instability.

6/12/2015 11:54 am  #10

Kurt:  My last post regarding you got deleted.  Why the incessant need to have the President submit to a news conference?  Did he do something criminal?  My Lord, all that he did was appoint someone to chair a committee to find a new AD?  Isn't that the President's job?  What in the world would you expect him to say other than the person he commissioned to look for a new AD is doing his/her job?  He has every right to hire the new AD now even though it may rub you and others. He owes you nothing more on this issue as an alum/fan/supportor/season ticket holder, the same as he owes me nothing as an alum/fan/supporter/season ticket holder.  Trust me, I have no diabolical plan to pick on what you say, but what you perceive to be valid and necessary for answer is errant in my opinion.  Then again, maybe I am wrong because I express contray opinions on this board. Maybe I am another E.D. to-wit, a "nut job".

Last edited by grammudder (6/12/2015 11:57 am)

6/12/2015 12:14 pm  #11

grammudder wrote:

Kurt:  My last post regarding you got deleted.  Why the incessant need to have the President submit to a news conference?  Did he do something criminal?  My Lord, all that he did was appoint someone to chair a committee to find a new AD?  Isn't that the President's job?  What in the world would you expect him to say other than the person he commissioned to look for a new AD is doing his/her job?  He has every right to hire the new AD now even though it may rub you and others. He owes you nothing more on this issue as an alum/fan/supportor/season ticket holder, the same as he owes me nothing as an alum/fan/supporter/season ticket holder.  Trust me, I have no diabolical plan to pick on what you say, but what you perceive to be valid and necessary for answer is errant in my opinion.  Then again, maybe I am wrong because I express contray opinions on this board. Maybe I am another E.D. to-wit, a "nut job".

Because he is the PRESIDENT of the University and a major staff member has departed.   Who said hold a press conference?   I didn't.   But when a reporter calls to speak to you, how about manning up and speaking for once.

This is that same pile of crap that was given when he & Amodio hid from the press when they cut the sports.   

Yep, you never pick on my posts.  Nope, ED has been saying the same thing.    You always say you dont make it personal and then you come right after me.   Here and on the other board.   And I wonder why your last post got deleted?   Personal attacks usually do.   You constantly put words in my mouth that I didn't say.   Like when I joked with CLK about being optomistic a few weeks ago

Now go and run to the other board and post about me.  That is what you usually do. 

Last edited by duqkurt (6/12/2015 12:26 pm)

6/12/2015 12:30 pm  #12

If all that you say is true, then why aren't your attacks on the President deemed personal and deleted?  e.g., "....he's failing miserably...., learn some freaking public relations skills...." That is the kind of stuff you do that I respond to.  Oh, never mind!

6/12/2015 12:34 pm  #13

grammudder wrote:

If all that you say is true, then why aren't your attacks on the President deemed personal and deleted?  e.g., "....he's failing miserably...., learn some freaking public relations skills...." That is the kind of stuff you do that I respond to.  Oh, never mind!

Right those are the kinds of personal attacks that you respond to.  Like when I was joking with CLK and CLK knew it was a joke.

6/12/2015 5:03 pm  #14

grammudder wrote:

I don't appreciate being called names. I will let it slide because I see an opportunity to start the healing process.

The reason Dr. Dougherty should do a press conference is to demonstrate the University's commitment to the program. As I stated elsewhere, I am expert in this and could put together something that would make Pittsburgh and Duquesne nation believe again ... Presuming there is something behind it. I don't do spin. I'm not a press agent.

6/12/2015 5:12 pm  #15

ElDuque wrote:

Heck, I had a major run-in with Mr. Manning as a student, but my friend and mentor Nellie King intervened.

I'm still laughing about that one!

Board footera