Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2018 10:00 am  #1

Rooney Field or Highmark Stadium?

I'll never forget the disappointment I felt the day I went back on campus to see the renovated Rooney Field and saw them it seated even less than it did before.  The visiting soccer team was making fun of the not so grandstands and Central Catholic then announced it could no longer play there.

I'm sure recruits are not impressed when they see the stands compared to their high school stadiums.  Going there with friends doesn't feel like a real college game particularly when they also then cut the marching band.  Halftime was a guy, a dog, and a frisbee.

I know that there is an advantage playing on campus but unless they make Rooney into more than a practice field we aren't going to attract more fans for a real college experience.

I suggest we play at least one game at Highmark stadium, possibly the Robert Morris game there as we play Pitt at PPG each year.  Himark is a showpiece of a small but "big league" stadium.

See what the games attract there.  The shuttle bus trip from campus is short and celebrating on the south side after is a consideration.

Can we do a poll on this forum?  I'll start a poll on my old blog... click by my signature below.

Thoughts?

Last edited by coffee (3/18/2018 1:50 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

3/18/2018 3:31 pm  #2

Re: Rooney Field or Highmark Stadium?

Getting rid of the marching band was one of the most moronic discussions of the GA administation.  Penny wise pound foolish.  The DU band director who was fired has put together an awesome band at RMU, which she was just on the brink of doing here.   Without the benefit of a music school.

Since you asked, I’m not in favor of moving games to Highmark.  I know Rooney is awful but at least you don’t have to pay rent for it.   Moving games to Highmark will have even less college atmosphere.

Playing RMU at Highmark is just inviting all their fans to attend the game.  Meaning we play at RMU and a neutral site game for our home game.   Complete with their band.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/18/2018 3:34 pm)

3/18/2018 5:24 pm  #3

Actually the bigger waste of money may have been the half-assed renovation of Rooney.

3/20/2018 1:56 pm  #4

Duquesne needs to make a decision on Rooney Field.  It screams inadequate at this point.  I would suggest turning it into a real stadium.  Build it out of bricks, concrete and mortar with concessions an restrooms.  The grandstand can be extended over Academic walk with a walk through underneath.  Build two end zone seating areas, and at the Bluff St side build a grandstand to match the opposite side.  This would give you a real stadium and a great atmosphere to grow the program to the A-10 level.

3/20/2018 4:28 pm  #5

It'll have to be a horseshoe type of Field since there is no room over the pool.  They could start by adding 9 rows of bleachers on top of the patio area at the top of the current stands without much cost at all.  I measured it already.

Those stone steps make no sense at all on the other side!

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

3/29/2018 10:23 pm  #6

I think playing a game there would be somewhat neat, but wouldn't Cupples stadium make more sense?  I have never been to either stadium but I assume Highmark is much nicer. I also sort of agree with Kurk here too.  If we have to pay rent, I see no reason to make the move as the costs are not worth it IMO.  I'm also not sure that the Rooney field is capable of much more seating.  The idea of a walkway underneath doesn't appeal to me and would be met with a lot of resistance on campus.  A Walk is the centerstone of campus life.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/30/2018 7:40 am  #7

Simms wrote:

I think playing a game there would be somewhat neat, but wouldn't Cupples stadium make more sense?  I have never been to either stadium but I assume Highmark is much nicer. I also sort of agree with Kurk here too.  If we have to pay rent, I see no reason to make the move as the costs are not worth it IMO.  I'm also not sure that the Rooney field is capable of much more seating.  The idea of a walkway underneath doesn't appeal to me and would be met with a lot of resistance on campus.  A Walk is the centerstone of campus life.  

I'm not talking about building the visitors side any bigger than the old portable bleachers they had and adding 9 rows that would fit atop the new section's deck atop the stands.  Then filling in the horseshoe shape of the field by the science center.

I wouldn't rent to practice at Highmark and Couples is expensive and a step backward.  Highmark is a perfect view of the city that would impress recruits.

Last edited by coffee (3/30/2018 7:42 am)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

4/19/2018 9:09 pm  #8

So, I looked and looked at Highmark stadium, and it seems so ridiculous that our stadium isn't similar to it.  The seating capacity is only 5000, and if you look at photos, it seems very similar.  In addition, the view of AWalk would be similar to the Highmark stadium view of the River.  Plus, Highmark stadium only cost 7 million dollars.  Why didn't Duquesne wait and try to make Rooney Field worth the cost?  Here is a good pic of highmark's stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highmark_Stadium#/media/File:Highmark_Stadium_Main_Stand.jpg

4/20/2018 2:44 pm  #9

for what its worth, that pic is from when the stadium only held 3500 seats. Still, thats more than what Rooney holds now and has a far more respectable looking grandstand than the A-Walk side

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/25/2018 9:23 pm  #10

I've changed my mind on the issue and think Highmark would be a good idea.  Looks like Clarion agrees.

https://clariongoldeneagles.com/news/2018/4/25/football-to-open-18-season-at-highmark-stadium.aspx

5/25/2018 10:38 pm  #11

Is it architecturally feasible to build down?
I.E. build a “pit” design where the top of the stadium is The Walk and seating does down versus up.

5/27/2018 6:10 pm  #12

Box & One wrote:

Is it architecturally feasible to build down?
I.E. build a “pit” design where the top of the stadium is The Walk and seating does down versus up.

They already built as far down as they could with Rooney if I remember correctly.  The Armstrong Tunnels are directly below.

I was just at a Riverhounds game at Highmark yesterday and the place feels so much more impressive than Rooney as it is now.

I'll never forget the first time I saw the rebuild when Marshall soccer team making fun of the field as they got off the bus when they realized that our football team played there as well.

Last edited by coffee (5/27/2018 6:15 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

5/28/2018 4:21 pm  #13

I think Hghmark is a no brainer as long as it doesn't cost us too much to use it.  If Point Park can do it for soccer, then I see no reason we can't for football.  My only requirements would be the following:

1.  Signage.  Make sure it is known that Highmark is our stadium too.  This is no different than what Pitt deals with in regards to Heinz.  Maybe even add some historical component to the lobby area if the Rhounds would let us.

2.  Bussing.  Students would need to have access to the stadium.  The steps down to 10th street are crappy and need renovated.  Duquesne would need to offer transportation.  Make the game an event worth attending!  I think the students would like the trip to the SS as they could eat and enjoy themselves afterwards.  

3.  We MUST continue to schedule FBS teams to make this financially viable.  A school like Hawaii is going to smash us (I can't wait to watch regardless) but it gives the program money that we need.  I think we would all love to play a school like Pitt someday in the future instead of them playing YSU.  

Coffee, do you know how many schollies we offer?  I mentioned this in another thread.  

5/28/2018 7:57 pm  #14

From Hero Sports...
An NEC school can scholarship up to 45 players, up from 30 in 2006. But a school can come up with need-based equivalencies and kick that number up another 10 to 15 scholarships,

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

Board footera