Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2013 7:24 pm  #1

Mike Rice video footage on Yahoo.....

All I can say is "WOW". This guy is a total psycho. I would have supported bringing this guy over from Bobby Mo before he took the Rutgers job. Sure glad that didn't happen!

I don't know how to post a link. The footage is on Yahoo's home page right now, though.

4/02/2013 7:57 pm  #2

4/02/2013 8:20 pm  #3

Re: Mike Rice video footage on Yahoo.....

He should not have done what he did, deserved to be punished, and even if he is not fired, will probably not be able to recruit anyone after this, so his career may be finished in a year or two.

That said, the talk show jackals are overreacting and beating the story to death. Overlooked is the ransom threat from the former aid who comes out stinking like rhymes-with-Pitt.

4/03/2013 10:04 am  #4

Mike Rice should be banned from college athletics for his actions over a long period of time. Too severe? IMO  NO!

4/03/2013 10:13 am  #5

Mike Rice's mortal sin was that he didn't win enough games, otherwise he'd still be the coach of Rutgers.

4/03/2013 10:26 am  #6

ElDuque wrote:

He should not have done what he did, deserved to be punished, and even if he is not fired, will probably not be able to recruit anyone after this, so his career may be finished in a year or two.

That said, the talk show jackals are overreacting and beating the story to death. Overlooked is the ransom threat from the former aid who comes out stinking like rhymes-with-Pitt.

Speaking of sports talk radio; the local Pitt aplogists on 93.7 (three clowns on the morning drive show) spent a lot of time yesterday trashing Rushel Shell, calling him lazy, and claiming that he never picked up a weight, and just didn't have the necessary work ethic to be successful at Pitt.  Funny how they turned on the guy as soon as he decided to transfer.  Why weren't they concerned about his work ethic before?  Sounds like the spin doctor AD Petersen gave them a script to read!  SInce the news for Pitt got much worse by this morning, they totally shifted gears and declared that the show today would be dedicated to "discussing" the "horrible" behavior of Mike Rice at Rutgers.  What a disgrace; blah blah blah, always ready to attack someone else to deflect attention from the mess at Pitt.

4/03/2013 10:42 am  #7

Yep - and they were the first to announce that all of Penn State is responsible for what that jackass did with those kids and everyone knew it and everyone will transfer out of PSU football program and the whole school will go to Hell.  Armpitts are the most insecure blind folks in the world.  Not like us, we are good at ripping the hell out of our athletic programs!!

4/03/2013 11:03 am  #8

Don't think for a minute that Mike Rice is the only college coach at any level who is abusive to his/her players.  I've seen coaching of this type even in High School.

He got fired because it's on video, and thus, undeniable.  No video and he still has a job.  That's the way the world works.

4/03/2013 11:35 am  #9

I am not saying what he did is okay, I think throwing a ball at someone is wrong, and childish.  I do think thats the only thing he did that was really "wrong".  That and kicking that kid, again, immature and just stupid.  The pushing and pulling and the swearing, hey, that happens.  Have any Rutgers players spoke out against Rice;s actions?

As far as 93.7 goes, only pitt and the penguins are safe there.  every other team and player and coach will get bashed if they even as much smile the wrong way.

the station is typical pittsburgh crap radio.  thankfully I listen to Sirius.

4/05/2013 9:54 am  #10

He deserved to be fired.   Having said that.....

I think ESPN is not going to be happy until Mike Rice takes his own life.   Seriously, it is 24/7 Mike Rice on TV.   Jay Bilas is such a sanctimonious piece of crap.  

4/05/2013 11:03 am  #11

ESPN is after scalps, again, just like the Sandusky case, they wouldn't stop until they got Paterno.  In this case they won't stop until they get the scalp of the Rutgers A.D. and possibly the President.  This story is like the "low hanging fruit" really nobody is out there willing to defend Rice or Rutgers so ESPN has no limitations on their attacks.
Two much more important stories than RIce; (but also more uncomfortable for ESPN with their SEC contract) are the brewing scandal (again) with Auburn football in which they paid players large sums of $$ to convince them to stay at Auburn, and win a National Title rather than go to the NFL. 
The second big story is the  possible criminal activity related to the past practices of the pompous NCAA president Mark Emmert when he was at UCONN.  This is a huge case in which Emmert and his accomplices made $100,million in state funds disappear on a construction project that Emmert was managing!  This guy has seemingly been a crook everywhere he has ever worked!  He will be gone shortly as the NCAA is getting publicly embarrassed because of his incompetance.

Last edited by levon1975 (4/05/2013 11:04 am)

4/05/2013 11:26 am  #12

levon, a former player (the kid who got smacked in the face with the basketball) has been on talk shows defending Rice. It's certainly not getting a lot of air time tough.

I think it's funny that Jay Bilas was puffing out his chest this week telling people that he actually witnessed Rice doing bad stuff and that he told one of Rice's assistants to do something about it. Yet he never filed a public report at the time.

Don't get me wrong ... the release of the video justifies the firing of Rice and the AD, and the president of Rutgers ought to step down. But it is funny how Rice gets villified while a guy like Calipari, who has already screwed two Universities, is treated like royalty.

And Sandusky ought to have a nail-studded baseball bat delivered to his tenders.

4/05/2013 11:39 am  #13

ElDuque wrote:

I think it's funny that Jay Bilas was puffing out his chest this week telling people that he actually witnessed Rice doing bad stuff and that he told one of Rice's assistants to do something about it. Yet he never filed a public report at the time.

That is why I called him a sanctimonious piece of crap.  I heard him say this on TV, Mike & Mike, and the Herd.   You go to his assistant and say something.   Why not go to his boss and say something at the time.   If that ever happened. 

4/05/2013 1:57 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

levon, a former player (the kid who got smacked in the face with the basketball) has been on talk shows defending Rice. It's certainly not getting a lot of air time tough.

Don't get me wrong ... the release of the video justifies the firing of Rice and the AD, and the president of Rutgers ought to step down. But it is funny how Rice gets villified while a guy like Calipari, who has already screwed two Universities, is treated like royalty.

And Sandusky ought to have a nail-studded baseball bat delivered to his tenders.

RIght ED, I heard Bilas defend his position on radio yesterday, saying that the behavior he witnessed was not the same level of abuse seen on the videos.  He said it was profanity and verbal abuse rather than physical.  Keep in mind this was witnessed by a number of TV technicians and Bilas, so apparently Rice wasn't really inhibited by the presence of outsiders at this shootaround.  It should have been an indicator that much more was going on in closed practices. 

ESPN is very calculating as to who it attacks, the bottom line is always a factor for them.  Look at how they sat on the Bernie FIne video and other evidence until the Statute of Limitations expired on the potential charges.  Could it have been because Syracuse was involved and many highly placed execs, and on-air personalities at ESPN are Syracuse grads, not to mention potential damage to the huge ESPN contract with the Big East?

4/05/2013 3:15 pm  #15

First thing I thought was about his family, I don't think he will ever coach again. No excuses for him, but I bet his Dad is taking this hard and his wife and kids are suffering.

A diehard fan since 1961

4/05/2013 3:17 pm  #16

I lowered my cable service to the second level from basic.  I no longer get ESPN.  I felt a lot of my cable bill was going to conference football TV contracts sponsored by ESPN.  I felt that by continuing to pay, I was contributing to the conference realighnments which are ruining college sports.  The bad thing is that Fox Sports and CBS are going to gin up contracts of their own.  I still have those two on my cable.

4/05/2013 6:40 pm  #17

Jalen Rose called Rice despicable.  THis from the same man who was part of a group that caused Michigan to forfeit wins because of despicable acts.

Board footera