Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2018 1:52 pm  #1

Duquesne as one of the top 4 in the A-10?

Great article on Duquesne's chances of finishing in the top 4 in the A-10.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/08/30/atlantic-10-basketball-3-sleeper-teams-contend-2018-19/3/

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

9/28/2018 9:37 am  #2

Re: Duquesne as one of the top 4 in the A-10?

High hopes for Duquesne this year, this should be fun to watch.

A diehard fan since 1961

9/28/2018 10:59 am  #3

Coach has a lot on his plate,with so many newcomers and figuring out what players to put on the floor,lots of inexperience and players learning how to fit in.Might be a turnover festival for the first month,dont know
what to think.I am interested in the growth Dylan makes over the next 4 years.I saw him  play a couple games in high school and there is potential but a lot of hard work required to improve his stamina and
watch his body change to keep up with the speed and athleticsm  of Division 1 basketball. I think he will
be good, just got to be patient with him and all the other new guys.
 I am also thinking about when the announcement regarding Palumbo renovations. I figure with
homecoming weekend coming up Duquesne will make announcement about renovations during that weekend. I think its early October .What  can 40 million dollars do to improve Palumbo and improve our
chances to recruit???

9/28/2018 12:03 pm  #4

stew wrote:

Coach has a lot on his plate,with so many newcomers and figuring out what players to put on the floor,lots of inexperience and players learning how to fit in.Might be a turnover festival for the first month,dont know
what to think.I am interested in the growth Dylan makes over the next 4 years.I saw him  play a couple games in high school and there is potential but a lot of hard work required to improve his stamina and
watch his body change to keep up with the speed and athleticsm  of Division 1 basketball. I think he will
be good, just got to be patient with him and all the other new guys.
 I am also thinking about when the announcement regarding Palumbo renovations. I figure with
homecoming weekend coming up Duquesne will make announcement about renovations during that weekend. I think its early October .What  can 40 million dollars do to improve Palumbo and improve our
chances to recruit???

Well, I've stated my opinion that Palumbo is a joke, and that no amount of money will transform it into anything that will impress the top 200 type players we need to become a real factor in this sport, and are being recruited by programs with far better facilities. A renovated Palumbo might impress a kid being recruited by Canisius, but those aren't the kind of players we need.  As for Dylan, he definitely has great potential, but he has competition as well. He doesn't have to become a top flight player right away, but he does need to play well enough to not get buried behind the other young bigs. One of these kids is going to get buried, and will probably end up transferring down.

9/28/2018 4:44 pm  #5

Up front and at guard, there will be guys who don't get much playing time. There is a lot of potential across the board on this roster, and some of the players will necessarily be deep on the bench. There will inevitably be transfers out.  

9/29/2018 5:44 am  #6

Don't underrate the reasons why these kids are at Duquesne: their education, and Keith Dambrot. No one will necessarily get buried unless they're not practicing or playing well, and Coach will let them know it (and coach them through it). Depth will keep players fresh, and enable the Dukes to play the hot hand.

When's the last time we had choices up front? At PG? When's the last time we had two REAL all-conference-type players? 

I'm not going to speculate about any of these kids going anywhere. I want them to stay together, develop together, win together.

9/29/2018 7:47 am  #7

ElDuque wrote:

Don't underrate the reasons why these kids are at Duquesne: their education, and Keith Dambrot. No one will necessarily get buried unless they're not practicing or playing well, and Coach will let them know it (and coach them through it). Depth will keep players fresh, and enable the Dukes to play the hot hand.

When's the last time we had choices up front? At PG? When's the last time we had two REAL all-conference-type players? 

I'm not going to speculate about any of these kids going anywhere. I want them to stay together, develop together, win together.

Yeah, but you can't play 13 players. Players all want to play today. No one wants to sit on the bench. Coach knows this, which is why he's still recruiting, despite the fact that he has no scholarships, and is already one over the limit for next year. He'll help the most hopeless find a place to land.

9/29/2018 9:34 am  #8

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Yeah, but you can't play 13 players. Players all want to play today. No one wants to sit on the bench. Coach knows this, which is why he's still recruiting, despite the fact that he has no scholarships, and is already one over the limit for next year. He'll help the most hopeless find a place to land.

Also, keep in mind the possibility of a player graduating before his eligibility is exhausted ( i.e L.G. Gill , T. Smith ).

With the players enrolled in summer sessions this is a real chance to accumulate credits while not in season.

Keep an eye on any player 3 years out of high school for this scenario.  You can't make the assumption that a player will return for his 4th year.

9/29/2018 10:39 am  #9

Good points Elduque and Ghost and Coach  Dambrot had some recruits at Dayton football game. Transfers now occurring in middle of season at Clemson football yesterday so while they are likely to happen as part of the game,  I agree with Elduque it is way too early to speculate on who that may be.

9/29/2018 12:43 pm  #10

ghost wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Also, keep in mind the possibility of a player graduating before his eligibility is exhausted ( i.e L.G. Gill , T. Smith ).

With the players enrolled in summer sessions this is a real chance to accumulate credits while not in season.

Keep an eye on any player 3 years out of high school for this scenario.  You can't make the assumption that a player will return for his 4th year.

While there are exceptions, most grad transfers are players who are 4 years out of high school, and were either redshirted at some point, or have already transferred and sat out a year. That is what was the case with Tarin. Tarin was a senior academically, and he graduated on time. The only 4th year player we have on this team is Randall. A year from now, this would definitely be on the table, as the 4 sophopmore transfers will all be 4th year juniors, and be able to grad transfer if they're on schedule to graduate.

Board footera