Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH!, the Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fans Message Board!!!!
One of America's Great Message Boards


You know the rules, all inappropriate messages will be deleted!


PLEASE POST LINKS TO NEWSPAPER STORIES



UPCOMING GAMES

November 2019

11/1. @. WVU - 7:00 PM Morgantown
11/5. (H) Princeton - 6:00 PM - PPG Paints Arena
11/12. (H) Lamar - 7:00 PM - La Roche
11/15. (H) Lipscomb - 7:00 PM - La Roche



Duquesne Women's basketball


Tuesday, Nov. 5 vs. Kent State - PPG Arena DH
Friday, Nov. 8 at Temple - Philadelphia, PA

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



3/02/2019 11:13 pm  #1


2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

Well its March and even the non-NCAA tournaments are making projections.

This one is interesting.  It projects Duquesne as "On the Bubble" for the NIT this week.  Last week they were projected as being in the CBI. 

https://happeninghoops.com/2019/02/27/cit-cbi-bracketology-number-6-february-27th-201/

This one is a bit more scientific to project our chances of winning the A-10 or getting into the NIT.

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-basketball-predictions/duquesne-dukes/

NIT may be a stretch given their ratings and yes the goal is to win the A-10 Tourney which is possible for the first time since Everhart’s team played in the championship game.  We can beat anybody this year.

I'm wondering if we'd be able to host a game with the Women's Tournament and the construction scheduleven if we had to go to the PPG.

Last edited by coffee (3/03/2019 11:00 am)


COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything
 

3/03/2019 10:33 pm  #2


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

Ok someone answer me this: How the hell is Quinnpeac at 16-15 in a weak sister conference, considered an NIT team (8th seed but still) while the experts here are constantly telling us the Dukes at 20 or 21 wins are not even close to the NIT?

 

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (3/03/2019 10:33 pm)


Victi sumus Richmond!!!!
Nunc Bonnies delenda est!!!!!
 

3/03/2019 10:51 pm  #3


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Ok someone answer me this: How the hell is Quinnpeac at 16-15 in a weak sister conference, considered an NIT team (8th seed but still) while the experts here are constantly telling us the Dukes at 20 or 21 wins are not even close to the NIT?

 

Quinnipiac was leading their conference (they ended up second). If you win your conference regular season, but don't win your league tourney, and don't get an at large bid to the NCAAs, you get an automatic bid to the NIT. This doesn't usually come into play for the top 10-11 leagues, because the first place team is usually at large worthy. It is a nice bone thrown to the mid, and low major leagues. If St. Francis, who finished first in the NEC, doesn't win the tournament, they get a bid to the NIT. Schools like Duquesne have to earn an at large bid. The Dukes played a fairly weak ooc schedule, and were beaten by all three P5 teams we played, none of which were very good. We don't deserve an NIT bid.

Keep in mind that we have no Quad 1, or Quad 2 wins. We also have a Quad 4 loss (NJIT), and 3 Quad 3 losses (Pitt, Bona at Palumbo, and LaSalle). We've basically done well against the teams near our level, but we haven't beaten anyone that's really any good. We still have a ways to go.
 

 

3/04/2019 8:54 am  #4


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

We'll get in somewhere, doubt its NIT tho, just as duq81 explained, with the bids going to smaller conferences, the spots get filled quickly.  CBI is fine, thats progress, and thats what is under way currently.  
Did I miss something or did not A10 team make the NIT, CBI or CIT last year?  Seems odd.

IDK if DUQ will host a CBI or not, womens A10 will be over(its this week), so thats no concern.  But if they need to get started on ripping down the AJP, that is a concern.  If we would delay the project, that might cost $$.  And to host a CBI game wont make any $$.  I wouldnt subject our players to playing in front of 2200 people at PPG on a Tuesday night.

 

3/04/2019 12:03 pm  #5


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

duq81 wrote:

Quinnipiac was leading their conference (they ended up second). If you win your conference regular season, but don't win your league tourney, and don't get an at large bid to the NCAAs, you get an automatic bid to the NIT. This doesn't usually come into play for the top 10-11 leagues, because the first place team is usually at large worthy. It is a nice bone thrown to the mid, and low major leagues. 

 

OK thanks that makes sense and I can see the reasoning behind it.
 


Victi sumus Richmond!!!!
Nunc Bonnies delenda est!!!!!
 

3/04/2019 12:05 pm  #6


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Ok someone answer me this: How the hell is Quinnpeac at 16-15 in a weak sister conference, considered an NIT team (8th seed but still) while the experts here are constantly telling us the Dukes at 20 or 21 wins are not even close to the NIT?

 

Quinnipiac was leading their conference (they ended up second). If you win your conference regular season, but don't win your league tourney, and don't get an at large bid to the NCAAs, you get an automatic bid to the NIT. This doesn't usually come into play for the top 10-11 leagues, because the first place team is usually at large worthy. It is a nice bone thrown to the mid, and low major leagues. If St. Francis, who finished first in the NEC, doesn't win the tournament, they get a bid to the NIT. Schools like Duquesne have to earn an at large bid. The Dukes played a fairly weak ooc schedule, and were beaten by all three P5 teams we played, none of which were very good. We don't deserve an NIT bid.

Keep in mind that we have no Quad 1, or Quad 2 wins. We also have a Quad 4 loss (NJIT), and 3 Quad 3 losses (Pitt, Bona at Palumbo, and LaSalle). We've basically done well against the teams near our level, but we haven't beaten anyone that's really any good. We still have a ways to go.
 

Well ok, so after we knock off VCU and Davidson in the A 10 tourney we will have some Quad 1 wins! :-)
 


Victi sumus Richmond!!!!
Nunc Bonnies delenda est!!!!!
 

3/04/2019 1:06 pm  #7


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

I think the only way we get an NIT bid is if we make it to the conference championship game and lose, just as 2008-09 team did and got a 7-seed in the NIT. 

 

3/17/2019 4:09 pm  #8


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

West Virginia and Robert Morris both are projected to have accepted an invitation to be in the CBI or CIT.  The Dukes turned it down but should have accepted.  We need the 20th win and more experience in a tournament.

We beat St. Louis this year... next year could be us in a tournament.

https://happeninghoops.com/2019/03/15/cit-cbi-bracketology-number-9-march-15th-2019/

Last edited by coffee (3/17/2019 4:20 pm)


COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything
     Thread Starter
 

3/17/2019 4:43 pm  #9


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

I wanted to get thoughts on the reasoning behind rejecting an invitation.  I'm guessing Coach D must think the team is worn out.  I heard him say its at least NIT or bust but I can't understand the rationale for that.  Must be more to the story.  Could you imagine if they went on a run and won the CIT what that would do for the fan base and confidence?  Considering they beat a number of the teams in the CBI or CIT (and is more than capable of beating NJIT) I can't understand the logic.

 

3/17/2019 5:43 pm  #10


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

09dukes wrote:

I wanted to get thoughts on the reasoning behind rejecting an invitation.  I'm guessing Coach D must think the team is worn out.  I heard him say its at least NIT or bust but I can't understand the rationale for that.  Must be more to the story.  Could you imagine if they went on a run and won the CIT what that would do for the fan base and confidence?  Considering they beat a number of the teams in the CBI or CIT (and is more than capable of beating NJIT) I can't understand the logic.

I think they wanted to begin the arena renovations as soon as possible.

 

3/17/2019 5:55 pm  #11


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

The big boys have not been playing in the CBI lately but that seems to have changed this year. WVU, USF, DePaul, Oregon St. I can see the reason why these teams accepted bids. DePaul, and USF are emerging from the depths (like us under Ron). Any postseason is a plus for them. WVU was awful most of the year, bu began to click late. Why not continue the roll, getting the young players on the right track for next season. Big boys never play in the CIT, but Wichita is listed this year.

 

3/17/2019 6:10 pm  #12


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

Gotta do what is best for the team... Getting experience now would be better than making the season so much longer with a trip out of the country next year.

We are young and have to get experience playing away from home.

Plus its a reward for the effort.

Why did they put VCU and St. Louis in the same region?

Last edited by coffee (3/17/2019 6:24 pm)


COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything
     Thread Starter
 

3/17/2019 6:24 pm  #13


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

As for going on now, you know Sincere would go full bore, at a time when rehab exercises should instead be the focus. There may be other, less obvious injuries on the roster. I don't think a game or a few games in late March would make a big difference next fall.  

 

3/17/2019 6:55 pm  #14


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

coffee wrote:

Gotta do what is best for the team... Getting experience now would be better than making the season so much longer with a trip out of the country next year.

We are young and have to get experience playing away from home.

Plus its a reward for the effort.

Why did they put VCU and St. Louis in the same region?

Not true. I believe Ellis and Swingle can play overseas, maybe Maceo too. That makes it a much better deal than playing in the CBI.
 

 

3/17/2019 7:27 pm  #15


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

duq81 wrote:

coffee wrote:

Gotta do what is best for the team... Getting experience now would be better than making the season so much longer with a trip out of the country next year.

We are young and have to get experience playing away from home.

Plus its a reward for the effort.

Why did they put VCU and St. Louis in the same region?

Not true. I believe Ellis and Swingle can play overseas, maybe Maceo too. That makes it a much better deal than playing in the CBI.
 

Any ( current Fr. , Soph., Jr ) enrolled athlete is eligible for the trip. Dylan and James fit the criteria.

If Maceo is enrolled in Summer school he can make  the trip in August with the team.
 

 

3/17/2019 8:33 pm  #16


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

ghost wrote:

duq81 wrote:

coffee wrote:

Gotta do what is best for the team... Getting experience now would be better than making the season so much longer with a trip out of the country next year.

We are young and have to get experience playing away from home.

Plus its a reward for the effort.

Why did they put VCU and St. Louis in the same region?

Not true. I believe Ellis and Swingle can play overseas, maybe Maceo too. That makes it a much better deal than playing in the CBI.
 

Any ( current Fr. , Soph., Jr ) enrolled athlete is eligible for the trip. Dylan and James fit the criteria.

If Maceo is enrolled in Summer school he can make  the trip in August with the team.
 

That's what I thought. That's far better than playing in the CBI.

 

3/17/2019 9:53 pm  #17


Re: 2019 Braketology Projections- NIT/CIT/CBI

I am not heartbroken over the decision turn down the CBI but it is not my preference because the greatest weakness of the current team is the combination of individual player inexperience & inexperience playing as a unit. (Also, it would be thrilling to see the team go on an unlikely run!)

More time preparing for & playing against an opponent cannot be bad thing. I don't buy the argument that the team's health will benefit in any meaninful way from not playing CBI games. Practice injuries are actually more common than game injuries. Likewise, CBI/International summer trip is not an either or proposition. I would have voted for both.

Unlike years past, I have great confidence in the current leadership team. I know they thought hard & made a sound choice. It is a pleasure to not second guess this to death. 

I suspect that I am in the minority on this but I feel like KD's comments on the lesser post-season tournaments are small-time & foolish. He was right; it did sound arrogant. Just turn down the bid politely & shut-up. Who benefits from ruffling the feathers of a too proud tournament selection committee member that might keep you out of a pre-season tournament or something else?

Winning the CBI this year would be the greatest accomplishment of his non-Lebron coaching career & the biggest accomplishment for Duquesne basketball in the last 42 years. The CBI field is far better than any MAC regular season or tournament slate of teams. When did any team KD coached ever go on a 5 game tournament winning streak against top 150 competition? Who is it that keeps preaching that the goal at Duquesne is to play for championships?

I really am fine with not accepting the bid. I really do think KD is the right guy for this job. I really can't believe that DU finally has coaching I really like from a coach I really don't.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

LINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • The Point Of Pittsburgh
  • Pittsburgh Sports Now