Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2019 3:44 pm  #26

Re: 2019 - 2020 OOC Schedule

I totally agree with “Iron” on this but do we know that VMI and Columbia are at PPG?  Maybe one will be in Akron again.  With no Pitt or Penn State I have schedule concerns.  Marshall snd the 3 Junkanoo teams would look much nicer with a power 5 - even a weak one.  St. Pete is not going to have signature name teams so slots are running out.  We are likely to have a strong team - I just hope we don’t have to wait for Dayton and VCU to prove it.

8/02/2019 8:59 pm  #27

Ironduke81 wrote:

I would limit home games due to the cost of Mario’s palace. Save the money. Hit some near buy road games which you can win.. Home & Home contract. For example...William & Mary new AD fired coach. Majority of starters transferred. Knight W&M center remains but Dukes should win. 6 hour bus ride. Maybe schedule power mid major or even power 5 school for home & Home contract. No need to have 500 people at PPG FOR Columbia. Money loser on the rent.

I'd agree. I see two rationales for this year's schedule. 1) Search for home and homes with power 5 teams with the home game this year at PPG. We can't seem to get any power conference opponents at Palumbo, but maybe we can bring them into PPG. 2) Home and homes with local mid-majors on the road this year to stack the schedule next year to open up the Coop. Bringing mid-majors (or even lower) into PPG seems like a terrible idea. 

8/02/2019 9:51 pm  #28

Ironduke81 wrote:

I would limit home games due to the cost of Mario’s palace. Save the money. Hit some near buy road games which you can win.. Home & Home contract. For example...William & Mary new AD fired coach. Majority of starters transferred. Knight W&M center remains but Dukes should win. 6 hour bus ride. Maybe schedule power mid major or even power 5 school for home & Home contract. No need to have 500 people at PPG FOR Columbia. Money loser on the rent.

No P5 is coming here other than PSU, or maybe WVU. Even Dayton can't get them to come anymore. With the 20 game conference schedules, they're squeezing out the smaller schools. Try to schedule the best mid level teams you can. Maybe do one road game vs a lesser P5 that we might have a chance to surprise. At some point, we have to stop playing mostly slop in the ooc. You can't get an at large bid if you don't play some decent teams. The challenge with the MWC will help when it starts. Look to play teams from the MVC, CAA, MAC, CUSA. These are solid leagues, and most of the teams won't be down at the bottom of the NET, killing our ranking. If we don't think we can beat good teams, then we must not be very good. We don't need a killer schedule, just one that tests us. This needs to start next year. Next year should be our most talented team since 2007-08, maybe since 1979-80. We will need a proper schedule.

8/03/2019 12:07 am  #29

Playing Austin Peay at St. Pete Tourney and then probably LA Tech

8/03/2019 6:11 am  #30

Next years team is the Dukes best chance for a NIT or better yet NCAA bid. Proper schedule good luck teams willing to play Duquesne unless home game following year. The key as anyone knows is to enter Big Boy tournaments next year with power 5 schools. This year the Dukes should fill the remaining OCC games with away games clearly winnable within a reasonable bus ride. Duq 81 this is the reality of economics as well as the current state of NCAA basketball regarding power5 vs. mid-majors

8/03/2019 7:24 am  #31

Ironduke81 wrote:

Next years team is the Dukes best chance for a NIT or better yet NCAA bid. Proper schedule good luck teams willing to play Duquesne unless home game following year. The key as anyone knows is to enter Big Boy tournaments next year with power 5 schools. This year the Dukes should fill the remaining OCC games with away games clearly winnable within a reasonable bus ride. Duq 81 this is the reality of economics as well as the current state of NCAA basketball regarding power5 vs. mid-majors

I agree we need to try to get into one of those tournaments that have some big name teams next year. I don't know how easy it is for a school like us. I think having a solid season this year, with the bulk of the team returning next year, might make us attractive enough to get an invite from one of those events. It's a shame things didn't work out with Eric Williams, and Mike Lewis, because we'd be ready to make major noise THIS YEAR, instead of just hoping for modest improvement. I still think that if we can stay healthy, we could jell late in the year, and be a threat to win in Brooklyn. We need to beat Bona. I'm tired of their mouthy fans.

8/04/2019 7:58 am  #32

Duq 81 i have given this some periodic thought and the question i have is can they be better without Williams?

8/04/2019 10:10 am  #33

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Duq 81 i have given this some periodic thought and the question i have is can they be better without Williams?

I think the answer is yes.  Williams was seldom a team player.  They often started their comebacks with Williams on the bench.  Williams is a great rebounder because he is relentless in going after the ball...but I never saw him box out on the defensive end. I believe they will be better on offense with the exception of rebounding and will be a far better defensive team...rebounding and protecting the perimeter.  Time will tell.

This season will be a bit of an aberration because they do not have a home court.  They will never have the security of fixing things or getting back to being comfortable.  They need to make sure they do not take a step back....the same as last year should be an OK expectation for this year.   With the belief that they will miss Williams, and not having a home court ...keeping the program stable this year will will make it easy for KD to sell the program especially with the opening of the renovated Polumbo next year.  If they can make any improvement at all....the program will make a huge step forward in the years to come.  IMO....I would not over-schedule this year.  Few remember that 2 years ago the schedule was weak.....but the record will always remain.  Bump up the schedule next year....this year is a mulligan.  Just make sure that there is no regression in the program.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (8/04/2019 7:00 pm)

8/04/2019 10:54 am  #34

1111 Vickroy wrote:

The biggest problem is that they don't really have a replacement at his position. Weathers could play the 3, but because Kelly and Rotroff are out, they don't have a 4, so Weathers has to play there. One of the guards is going to have to play the 3, which will hurt us on the boards. The best case scenario would be if it turned out that you could play Hughes, and Steele together. You could then shift Weathers to the 3. That would make us a powerful team on the inside. Most on the board don't think that's possible, but I guess we'll see.

8/04/2019 4:05 pm  #35

duq81 wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

The biggest problem is that they don't really have a replacement at his position. Weathers could play the 3, but because Kelly and Rotroff are out, they don't have a 4, so Weathers has to play there. One of the guards is going to have to play the 3, which will hurt us on the boards. The best case scenario would be if it turned out that you could play Hughes, and Steele together. You could then shift Weathers to the 3. That would make us a powerful team on the inside. Most on the board don't think that's possible, but I guess we'll see.

Maceo might get a look at the 3.

8/04/2019 6:13 pm  #36

WashPaRick wrote:

duq81 wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

Maceo might get a look at the 3.

I'm sure he will, but he's not a true 3. That would basically be a three guard lineup, which if Steele and Hughes can't play together, KD will have no other choice than to play. It's going to be tough on the boards though.

8/05/2019 10:41 am  #37

I do not think that losing Williams rebounding will be as bad as some expect.  I think many are discounting the impact of Baylee Steele.  Last year when Mike Hughes went to the bench it was like watching the air go out of your tires.  Due to the inexperience of our other bigs the rebounding from the 5 was almost non existent. It got worse as injuries developed and at the end of the season we were watchin Weathers at the 5 and a walk on  at the four.  From all accounts Baylee is a rebounding machine.  Also, with a years experience Rotroff is now bigger and stronger.  Bottom line from a team perspective I think we will be much better at the 4 and 5.    I have also said before, that from observation Williams was an aggressive rebounder (which was a good thing) however many of Williams rebounds were taken from his own teammates.  However, in those types of battles it really hurt us if we failed to secure the rebound leaving us out of position to defend fast breaks.  Just my opinion.

As far as replacing his scoring, I think that we will more than replace his points.  The returning players will be bigger, stronger and healthier (hopefully), but more importantly we will have a much strong bench.  

I go back to KD's comments in July in the Pgh Sports Now article (link attached in another thread):

Dambrot:

“We’re more mature, our culture is better, we’re better teammates and doing all the right things to go from being a 19 win team to a better team than that. All the little things that you need to do.

You’ve talked before about the culture and needing to be better teammates has to improve, explain why that is so important.

“You can only go so far playing as individuals. Eventually, when you have to play at a championship level, you just don’t have IT. Any great program needs championship quality kids in order to win. If you don’t play well together or if you’re selfish, if you don’t respect each other, you’re just not going to win. You can win to a certain extent but you’re never going to win at the highest level.”

Last edited by CLK (8/05/2019 10:44 am)

8/05/2019 11:50 am  #38

If Williams took rebounds and was a seldom player why do we keep bringing him up? If you think losing him won’t hurt then go look at that stats online. He defended he shot the three ball better this year than his freshman year? He had a impact others in this chat feel otherwise. At the end of the day we still have a crap non OOC and we would’ve had it with Williams and Lewis still anyways.  And oh year Eric took his teammates rebounds? They better average each over 6 boards a game then...

8/05/2019 12:15 pm  #39

Clk thanks for the Dambrot quotes. Clearly, Coach Dambrot is CONFIDENT in moving forward with this team. Eric who? Godukes17 did you ever hear the saying “There is no I in team” Williams has not one but two “I” s in the spelling of his last name😊

8/06/2019 6:28 am  #40

Godukes2017 wrote:

If Williams took rebounds and was a seldom player why do we keep bringing him up? If you think losing him won’t hurt then go look at that stats online. He defended he shot the three ball better this year than his freshman year? He had a impact others in this chat feel otherwise. At the end of the day we still have a crap non OOC and we would’ve had it with Williams and Lewis still anyways. And oh year Eric took his teammates rebounds? They better average each over 6 boards a game then...

I did not watch the enough Dukes games to confirm or deny that he took rebounds from teammates.  What I did see was a player who was less concerned with the team than himself.  That is an opinion....difficult to prove with statistics  But I will back up my statement that the team will be a better rebounding team without him.  I will wager you dinner at Taco Bell if I am right vs dinner at Chili's if I am wrong.  The stat we will use is the net rebounding differential for the year.  That...is not an opinion ...simply a "yes" box "no" box type of evaluation.  All explanation as to why will just be noise.

I hope Williams finds himself out in Oregon....he obviously has talent.

8/06/2019 8:30 am  #41

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

If Williams took rebounds and was a seldom player why do we keep bringing him up? If you think losing him won’t hurt then go look at that stats online. He defended he shot the three ball better this year than his freshman year? He had a impact others in this chat feel otherwise. At the end of the day we still have a crap non OOC and we would’ve had it with Williams and Lewis still anyways. And oh year Eric took his teammates rebounds? They better average each over 6 boards a game then...

I did not watch the enough Dukes games to confirm or deny that he took rebounds from teammates.  What I did see was a player who was less concerned with the team than himself.  That is an opinion....difficult to prove with statistics  But I will back up my statement that the team will be a better rebounding team without him.  I will wager you dinner at Taco Bell if I am right vs dinner at Chili's if I am wrong.  The stat we will use is the net rebounding differential for the year.  That...is not an opinion ...simply a "yes" box "no" box type of evaluation.  All explanation as to why will just be noise.

I wonder if there were cliques on the team. Was his dissatisfaction at all related to the Craig Randall issue? Did he think Mike Lewis got a raw deal? All speculation of course. Whatever happened, it's likely he was looking to leave from the moment KD sat him.

8/06/2019 9:26 am  #42

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

I wonder if there were cliques on the team. Was his dissatisfaction at all related to the Craig Randall issue? Did he think Mike Lewis got a raw deal? All speculation of course. Whatever happened, it's likely he was looking to leave from the moment KD sat him.

Duq81 - Intriguing questions. Great observation on looking to leave. In hindsight, yes, Eric Williams pretty much tuned out the scene when he was asked to take a seat on the pine and think about (read: soul search) the team. He'll make a good NBA prospect. He's not such a great college player, though. You have to play a team game at the college level, at least for most schools. If you don't it causes too much discord. That hurt Duquesne last year. Sorry to see Williams go, but glad to see him go.

8/06/2019 10:04 am  #43

Grands wrote:

Playing Austin Peay at St. Pete Tourney and then probably LA Tech

Curious, Grands, where did you see this? I know Austin Peay won this tourney last year, beating Campbell and Liberty, but haven't come across anything on this year's St. Pete Shootout field nor has any other school announced their participation besides Duquesne.  

8/06/2019 1:08 pm  #44

Crosseye wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Duq81 - Intriguing questions. Great observation on looking to leave. In hindsight, yes, Eric Williams pretty much tuned out the scene when he was asked to take a seat on the pine and think about (read: soul search) the team. He'll make a good NBA prospect. He's not such a great college player, though. You have to play a team game at the college level, at least for most schools. If you don't it causes too much discord. That hurt Duquesne last year. Sorry to see Williams go, but glad to see him go.

So you know he left cause he’s not a team player? Me and including you guys have no idea what happened or why he left. What if he left for the sole purpose of winning and being in tournament? Saying he was a bad college player is mind boggling. He got benched but then again we don’t know why at the end of the day. It obviously wasn’t about not being a team player when he came in and had 22 and 13 of the bench... leave the opinions for somewhere else the kid is gone and everyone reading I hope will understand.

8/06/2019 4:52 pm  #45

Godukes2017 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

duq81 wrote:

So you know he left cause he’s not a team player? Me and including you guys have no idea what happened or why he left. What if he left for the sole purpose of winning and being in tournament? Saying he was a bad college player is mind boggling. He got benched but then again we don’t know why at the end of the day. It obviously wasn’t about not being a team player when he came in and had 22 and 13 of the bench... leave the opinions for somewhere else the kid is gone and everyone reading I hope will understand.

I didn't say he was "a bad college player..." I said "he's not such a great college player." He's pretty good, but is he a great college player? He didn't even make all-conference. He didn't play like a college player should play. He played the NBA style game. That doesn't work at a lot of college programs. He's probably going to get a crack at being an NBA player. Don't misquote me. The word "bad" wasn't used anywhere. Most college teams have to play as a team or they aren't going to be successful. Last time I watched an NBA game, that's not how it worked. I saw one on  one nearly every time down. Among other things, I would imagine this an opinion board. You have yours. I have mine. Except, yours was inaccurate when you referred to mine. Yes, I agree with you that it would be mind-boggling if someone referred to Eric Williams as "a bad college player." Who would say that?"

8/06/2019 6:15 pm  #46

Crosseye wrote:

Godukes2017 wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

I didn't say he was "a bad college player..." I said "he's not such a great college player." He's pretty good, but is he a great college player? He didn't even make all-conference. He didn't play like a college player should play. He played the NBA style game. That doesn't work at a lot of college programs. He's probably going to get a crack at being an NBA player. Don't misquote me. The word "bad" wasn't used anywhere. Most college teams have to play as a team or they aren't going to be successful. Last time I watched an NBA game, that's not how it worked. I saw one on  one nearly every time down. Among other things, I would imagine this an opinion board. You have yours. I have mine. Except, yours was inaccurate when you referred to mine. Yes, I agree with you that it would be mind-boggling if someone referred to Eric Williams as "a bad college player." Who would say that?"

Lol you have that argument then sir. 14 and 8 in two years and a positive win record. Not the best ever and I’m only defending him because he is not even apart of our team it’s almost seems as if people on this board are still bitter. Not a good college player? We both have not been in his shoes or his position to do what he has done so of course talking about it sounds good on here. Let’s talk about the team this year we talk about things that are irrelevant

8/06/2019 7:24 pm  #47

Golly - I  thought this was a thread on the OOC schedule, not a whining page about players that are not here any more.  Silly me.  When you want to start talking about the future, not the past, let me know!

Board footera