Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2019 12:58 pm  #26

Re: OOC Schedule has been Announced

Air Force returns everyone from a 14-18 team. 
Loyola returns alot from an already good team.
Princeton I also believe returns alot and it's the opening game.

As it stands now, I will go with Loyola. 

8/21/2019 2:19 pm  #27

Princeton and Radford will be tough games...

8/21/2019 3:00 pm  #28

luckymcd wrote:

I especially would have liked to see a road game this year against a West Virginia, Penn State, Temple, Notre Dame, Xavier, Cincinnati, Ohio State kind of team with a return game next year, even if it had to be at PPG.

None of those bolded teams will ever come to Pittsburgh to play Duquesne unless the Dukes become what Xavier was in the league, and even that might not be enough to get an Ohio St. P5 teams don't go on the road to play non power teams unless it's semi local (PSU, WVU). Those teams can all get much better teams than us on the schedule. Dayton, a team that's been vastly more successful than us the last 20 years, has had tremendous difficulty getting decent teams to play them, even with Dayton going on the road. Everyone wants a bunch of home games, and they don't want to take any chances on the road, unless it's the no lose situation of playing a road game against a much better team. I can't get mad, because we play the same game, which is why we dropped Bobby Mo, and why we aren't playing a single road game ooc this year. Going forward, expect us to playin an exempt tourney, at PPG vs Pitt, the occasional PPG game vs PSU, and maybe WVU, and maybe a road game vs a big time team if we can get it. The rest will be home games against teams not in position to demand a return game. That's just the way the game is played now. If we somehow become a powerhouse again, we might be able to get games against schools like Providence, or Seton Hall; maybe!

8/21/2019 4:51 pm  #29

duq81 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

I especially would have liked to see a road game this year against a West Virginia, Penn State, Temple, Notre Dame, Xavier, Cincinnati, Ohio State kind of team with a return game next year, even if it had to be at PPG.

None of those bolded teams will ever come to Pittsburgh to play Duquesne unless the Dukes become what Xavier was in the league, and even that might not be enough to get an Ohio St. P5 teams don't go on the road to play non power teams unless it's semi local (PSU, WVU). Those teams can all get much better teams than us on the schedule. Dayton, a team that's been vastly more successful than us the last 20 years, has had tremendous difficulty getting decent teams to play them, even with Dayton going on the road. Everyone wants a bunch of home games, and they don't want to take any chances on the road, unless it's the no lose situation of playing a road game against a much better team. I can't get mad, because we play the same game, which is why we dropped Bobby Mo, and why we aren't playing a single road game ooc this year. Going forward, expect us to playin an exempt tourney, at PPG vs Pitt, the occasional PPG game vs PSU, and maybe WVU, and maybe a road game vs a big time team if we can get it. The rest will be home games against teams not in position to demand a return game. That's just the way the game is played now. If we somehow become a powerhouse again, we might be able to get games against schools like Providence, or Seton Hall; maybe!

Notre Dame did a home and home with DePaul over the last two years and gave Delaware an unreturned home game in 2018 (obviously Brey played a big part in that, but still). Xavier did a home and home with Northern Iowa in 2017-2018. Cincinnati played at UNLV last year and did a home and home with Bowling Green in 2016-2017. Ohio State gave Navy an unreturned home game in 2017. I'm not saying we can get these games every year, but I wouldn't say never either.

8/21/2019 6:48 pm  #30

Well, Notre Dame going to Chicago is self explanatory. Pittsburgh offers little, plus they already come here to play Pitt. Bowling Green is regional for Cincy. Even though UNLV ain't what they were, they still have far more cachet than Duquesne, plus the city makes for a nice destination for the team, and any fans that want to take a road trip. I can't explain Northern Iowa, but I always got the feeling that Xavier considered us to be an anchor around their necks, and a big part of the problem with the A10, and that they were very happy to be freed from having to play us. They have become very arrogant since they joined the BE. They won't even play Dayton. Pitt can't get big names to come here. There's just no reason for any of those schools to come here. If Ohio St. wants a road game, they can pretty much pick any school they want. Again, if we become a powerhouse in the A10, we'll begin to have some options, but it won't be the cream of the crop. Teams just don't want to play on the road, especially against teams that are dangerous, but offer no payoff for beating. KD believes in this philosophy, which is the reason I believe we aren't going to Bobby Mo, and why I don't expect to see the Dukes playing many road games against lower level schools anymore. It's going to get worse with the 20 game conference schedules that everyone is adopting. After the 3 game exempt tournaments, the conference challenges, and any local type ooc game (like Dukes-Pitt), there isn't going to be room for many games after scheduling 3-4 cupcakes. It sucks, but that's the reality.

8/22/2019 12:30 pm  #31

luckymcd wrote:

Notre Dame did a home and home with DePaul over the last two years and gave Delaware an unreturned home game in 2018 (obviously Brey played a big part in that, but still)

No great mystery there. Brey used to be the coach at Delaware and his former assistant, Martin Ingelsby, is the coach there now. I think it would take similar "connections" for us to get a home game like that.

The Ohio State-Navy game you mentioned was part of the annual Veterans Classic, which generally brings three teams from power conferences to Annapolis at the start of every college basketball season for a four-team, one-day tournament broadcast on the CBSSports network, to honor all Armed Services veterans. Last year, Navy lost to Maryland in this game. The year before, they beat Pitt. They've also gotten home games with Florida and Michigan State out of it.

Northern Iowa did well to get that home-and-home with Cincinnati, but they were also coming off back-to-back MVC championships and first-round NCAA tourney wins when that series began. I think Duquesne would need to do something similar to have such possibilities. Cincinnati does play the occasional road game against regional opponents. In addition to Bowling Green, they've played Wright State and Marshall on the road in the last decade. They played at VCU one year too. So that's maybe the kind of home game we could get if we get better. 

8/22/2019 3:41 pm  #32

I had put together what I had hoped to see from the non-conference. As I mentioned, I figured the best way to deal with no home arena this year was to schedule with next year in mind too. So I put together what I consider to be a realistic schedule for the this year and next. I just found it, so I figured I would post it here to make my ideas clearer.
Bucknell @ PPG
@ Robert Morris
Mt. St. Mary @ Akron
@ Akron
@ W. Virginia
Pitt @ PPG
Bowling Green @ UPMC
@ Penn St.
@ Buffalo
Kent St. @ UPMC
@ Ohio
Canisius @ Skibo
@ Toledo
Niagara @ Skibo

Robert Morris
Youngstown St.
Cleveland St.
Akron
@ Ohio St.
W. Virginia @ PPG
Pitt @ PPG
@ Bowling Green
Penn St. @ PPG
Buffalo
@ Kent St.
Ohio
Toledo
St. Francis

It minimizes travel as much as possible this year, while setting up next year to be home heavy to open up the Coop. It's also balanced with warmup games, but also some good competition to prepare for the conference season and make a case for the postseason.

Last edited by luckymcd (8/22/2019 3:43 pm)

8/22/2019 4:09 pm  #33

WVU appears to have blacklisted us. I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't be playing them if they had an interest. Again, it looks as though coach is playing the same game as the big schools, which means avoiding road games against most schools from weaker conferences. I think the conference challenge with the MWC is the first step to where teams in the A10 will go on the road against teams from leagues like the WCC, and maybe even the MVC, but no lower, other than regional, or traditional games. As for home games, it appears that Pitt, and PSU at PPG is the best we can do, and we're lucky to get that. MAC schools on the home schedule would be nice, but the problem is that they expect a return game. MAC teams have done very well at home vs teams from the A10 over the years, which is why A10 teams try to avoid them. No way is Duquesne ever going to play 5 MAC teams ooc.

Last edited by duq81 (8/22/2019 4:12 pm)

8/23/2019 1:30 pm  #34

luckymcd wrote:

I had put together what I had hoped to see from the non-conference. As I mentioned, I figured the best way to deal with no home arena this year was to schedule with next year in mind too. So I put together what I consider to be a realistic schedule for the this year and next. I just found it, so I figured I would post it here to make my ideas clearer.
Bucknell @ PPG
@ Robert Morris
Mt. St. Mary @ Akron
@ Akron
@ W. Virginia
Pitt @ PPG
Bowling Green @ UPMC
@ Penn St.
@ Buffalo
Kent St. @ UPMC
@ Ohio
Canisius @ Skibo
@ Toledo
Niagara @ Skibo

Robert Morris
Youngstown St.
Cleveland St.
Akron
@ Ohio St.
W. Virginia @ PPG
Pitt @ PPG
@ Bowling Green
Penn St. @ PPG
Buffalo
@ Kent St.
Ohio
Toledo
St. Francis

It minimizes travel as much as possible this year, while setting up next year to be home heavy to open up the Coop. It's also balanced with warmup games, but also some good competition to prepare for the conference season and make a case for the postseason.

KD will never play Akron.  The only way Duq plays Akron is if it is the NCAA tournament...or maybe the NIT.  Duq should target Buffalo, Ohio and Kent from the MAC....games within driving distance against traditionally strong mid-major opponents and all would sign up for home and away series IMO.  Skip BG and add Valpariso....if you want a game against an opponent that far away it is better to bet on Valpo.  BG=small arena, small budget and usually not very good.

Cleveland State is in trouble...only value there would be for recruiting.  Youngstown will not do away game only...would not do it for Akron at least and unlikely to do it for Duq.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (8/23/2019 1:31 pm)

8/23/2019 4:44 pm  #35

As Al Davis would say “Just Win Baby”. Run the table Dukes.

8/24/2019 3:46 pm  #36

Ironduke81 wrote:

As Al Davis would say “Just Win Baby”. Run the table Dukes.

That is one thing we can all agree on. We might disagree on who the games should be against, where they should be played, or who should be getting minutes in them, but we all want the Dukes to win.

8/24/2019 5:57 pm  #37

Yes, win n they will but 1 observation, i come from the south hills so those gamez in the north will be a pain in my culo. I cant wait for this season

8/26/2019 7:58 am  #38

I used to live in apartment right across the street from LaRoche, but grew up in the mon valley, and live in the south hills now.   There are some short cuts/side roads to LaRoche that I will be using rather than sitting on McKnightmare Road.   The trip home after the games will be painless, zip down McKnight, cross town whatever way you like and hit 19 or 51 or 837 PDQ.  

8/26/2019 8:05 am  #39

townsonkid wrote:

I used to live in apartment right across the street from LaRoche, but grew up in the mon valley, and live in the south hills now.   There are some short cuts/side roads to LaRoche that I will be using rather than sitting on McKnightmare Road.   The trip home after the games will be painless, zip down McKnight, cross town whatever way you like and hit 19 or 51 or 837 PDQ.  

Yes, assuming PennDOT doesn't have everything under construction. 

8/26/2019 12:16 pm  #40

Oh yeah, you know they will!!!

...didnt take long, one day, to read the article in PG talking about the traffic mess that will be created around Liberty Bridge and Blvd of Allies for anyone trying to get downtown.   It will last 2 years!!!  And all for a park, A PARK!  

Last edited by townsonkid (8/27/2019 8:21 am)

Board footera