Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2019 10:54 pm  #1

Could the venue be impacting the shooting?

I’ve attended all three of Duquesne’s games and I sat low near the band for the two LaRoche games.  
 It was definitely noticeable to me that long, somewhat loose, ropes or tethers that are used to lower and raise the backstops could be (at least for me!) a possible detraction to a player when shooting long 3-pointers.  Some of the very high arcing shots from my bleacher seat near the floor, appeared almost like they were going to touch or come close to brushing the tethers.  I wonder if these could be a detraction for players from both teams?    Looking at the 3PT%s and FG%s for three games at two locations-- could these possibly be a background distractionfor both teams?   I know it takes little distraction for me as a golfer to get thrown off!    
FG%      3PT%    DUQvsOPON     3PT%    FG%
57.1     52.0         PPG/Princ           31.8     47.4
36.8     29.6         LaRo/Lamar        25.0     40.7
36.7     4.5           LaRo/Lipsc          18.0     29.2 

11/17/2019 10:59 pm  #2

Re: Could the venue be impacting the shooting?

Might also add that the lighting in the LaRoche gym appeared less than that at Palumbo or PPG....

11/18/2019 7:38 am  #3

gjgsr wrote:

I’ve attended all three of Duquesne’s games and I sat low near the band for the two LaRoche games.  
 It was definitely noticeable to me that long, somewhat loose, ropes or tethers that are used to lower and raise the backstops could be (at least for me!) a possible detraction to a player when shooting long 3-pointers.  Some of the very high arcing shots from my bleacher seat near the floor, appeared almost like they were going to touch or come close to brushing the tethers.  I wonder if these could be a detraction for players from both teams?    Looking at the 3PT%s and FG%s for three games at two locations-- could these possibly be a background distractionfor both teams?   I know it takes little distraction for me as a golfer to get thrown off!    
FG%      3PT%    DUQvsOPON     3PT%    FG%
57.1     52.0         PPG/Princ           31.8     47.4
36.8     29.6         LaRo/Lamar        25.0     40.7
36.7     4.5           LaRo/Lipsc          18.0     29.2 

Lipscomb shot 0% from 3

11/18/2019 9:32 am  #4

Obviously it is still too early to make the definitive conclusion, but the three point shooting and offensive efficiency is considerably down season compared to previous seasons. Efficiency is down, scoring is down, offensive rebounds are down, shooting percentage from two, three and the line are down, turnovers are up and teams are still taking about the same percentage of threes as in previous seasons despite the lesser shooting. Early on, it has been very bad offensive basketball. Could it be the new FIBA three point line or is the overall talent level down from the previous seasons?

Pomery has efficiency stats dating back to 1997 and the current average of 98.4 for this season's Division 1 games is the lowest it has been. Scoring is down about two points a game while tempo is up about two possessions a game compared to the whole of last year. 
Teams are shooting 32.5% from three thus far, which would be the worst shooting percentage ever from three point land in NCAA D1 since the line was permanently instituted in the 1986-1987 season. 

I thought the FIBA three point line would stretch defenses out more, which in turn, would open up the floor to allow more spacing and driving lanes while not having as negative of an impact on the three point shooting. As mentioned, early on that hasn't been the case.

Where I'm hoping it can be of a positive for the Dukes is the more spacing for the bigs to operate down low. In general, the most efficient teams in the early going appear to be more inside-out with multiple big men in the lineup, excellent 2 point percentage, and good three point percentage behind more selective shooting (lower rate of attempts). 

Board footera