Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2019 1:48 pm  #1

Dukes check in at #20 in the first NCAA NET rankings for the season.

12/16/2019 5:34 pm  #2

Re: Dukes check in at #20 in the first NCAA NET rankings for the season.

It's early but judging from last year's NET it's much more accurate than the RPI as a predictor.I

If the tourney committee uses this like they claim.the A 10 will have a monster year.   7 in the Top 100 and Davidson at 101.

Last edited by coffee (12/16/2019 5:39 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/16/2019 6:35 pm  #3

coffee wrote:

If the tourney committee uses this like they claim.the A 10 will have a monster year. 7 in the Top 100 and Davidson at 101.

I think the emphasis was put on being fair with those rankings, which means accuracy takes a back seat. I think there are much better rankings out there. Having said that, our 20th ranking there is among the highest of any system I've seen, so I won't complain if the NCAA is using it. Currently half of our league is in the top fifth of the NCAA by that system (7 of the top 72). If we can continue playing well through the conference season we have a legitimate chance at ending the NCAA drought.

12/16/2019 8:33 pm  #4

luckymcd wrote:

coffee wrote:

If the tourney committee uses this like they claim.the A 10 will have a monster year. 7 in the Top 100 and Davidson at 101.

I think the emphasis was put on being fair with those rankings, which means accuracy takes a back seat. I think there are much better rankings out there. Having said that, our 20th ranking there is among the highest of any system I've seen, so I won't complain if the NCAA is using it. Currently half of our league is in the top fifth of the NCAA by that system (7 of the top 72). If we can continue playing well through the conference season we have a legitimate chance at ending the NCAA drought.

One thing about NET is that because it's totally based on results, it's not affected by opinion. With most other power rankings, they come out at the start of play, and the first ranking is either based heavily on last season, or is basically a prediction. This usually doesn't matter too much with schools like Duke, because you know they'll be good. Even in an off year, they'll rarely fall out of the top 25. Where you have a problem is when a school unexpectedly has a very good year. This year, the Dukes, and DePaul are good examples of this. Both could finish the season in the Top 25, but the other rankings won't reflect this until we're past the halfway point, which is when opinion has been largely washed out of the equation.

12/16/2019 11:23 pm  #5

It pleases me to no end to see the Dukes at #20 in the NCAA's own ranking system.

There is so much more to be done, but as for now the team has done all that can be done to put it in a really good spot going forward through the rest of the schedule.  Austin Peay is the only focus right now, but come A-10 play we'll have a chance at some good wins given the overall success of league teams out of conference.  Keep playing the tough defense and the wins will come and so will the recognition.  This ranking shows that the NCAA is noticing the Dukes and will continue to do so as long as the wins keep coming.

12/19/2019 8:48 pm  #6

Undefeated Auburn getting ready to tip on ESPN2 against NC State at home. Lets go Wolfpack.

12/19/2019 9:58 pm  #7

1 pt game at halftime!

12/27/2019 5:44 pm  #8

Now (12/27) ranked #66

Board footera