Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2019 8:16 pm  #1

Game Thread - Marshall Thundering Herd

2:30pm EST tip on Sunday 12/29/2019 at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, Cleveland, OH
Per KenPom:
Dukes #69 (10-1) vs Marshall Thundering Herd #183 (5-7; 4-7 vs. D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 10, 79-69 - Dukes with 81% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 7½ point favorites; Over/Under 149½
Duquesne 5-6 Against the Spread: Marshall 7-4 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Indiana State (120); Radford (122); Lipscomb (200)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): UAB (145)
Marshall Best Win(s): Morehead St. (280); Robert Morris (283)
Marshall Worst Loss(es): Charleston (144); Toledo 2x (106)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Marshall for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (261)
Defensive Strength:  None
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate % (322); Offensive Rebound % (312)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Effective FG % (53)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (39); Turnover % (57); Effective FG% (58)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Marshall Adj Offense Efficiency - 99.0, #199 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 92.5, #51 in D-1
Marshall Adj Defense Efficiency - 100.5, #167 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 103.8, #96 in D-1
Marshall Adj Tempo - 76.4, #10 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 69.8, #175 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Marshall 1.16 yrs, #320 in D-1; Dukes 1.38 yrs, #275 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Marshall 51.2%, #146 in D-1; Dukes 55.3%, #107 in D-1
Average Height - Marshall 77.7", #61 in D-1; Dukes 76.0", #298 in D-1

12/28/2019 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Marshall Thundering Herd

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 50th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
Marshall is 200th in the country and OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=575&neut=1
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

12/29/2019 9:32 am  #3

Win the battle off the glass, control the paint, take care of the ball, force some turnovers of our own, and this one should be ours. Defense and especially the interior will decide it. This year that seems like a good formula for us, so I like the Dukes to bounce back with a win. Hughes and Steele can back up the publicity they've been getting. I'm surprised to see both sites calling for such easy wins though. I think Marshall is a much better team than they've shown so far, so I'm a little nervous. Maybe it's just years of optimism repeatedly being shattered. I wish it was being televised somewhere so we could watch though.

Last edited by luckymcd (12/29/2019 9:34 am)

12/29/2019 9:53 am  #4

Dukes bounce back strong.  I look for TDM to have a big game.  Go Dukes!

12/29/2019 9:58 am  #5

I see the wvu/osu game is on fox sports 1.   Is there any tv or online feed for our game?    Or just radio, again?

12/29/2019 11:09 am  #6

townsonkid wrote:

I see the wvu/osu game is on fox sports 1. Is there any tv or online feed for our game? Or just radio, again?

There really should be, but I fear there is not. It's crazy to think that our game against VMI in a D3 arena was broadcast, but our game with Marshall in an NBA arena won't be. I think the problem lies with competing broadcast contracts. Fox is broadcasting the first game as they hold rights to both the Big 10 and Big 12. A-10 and C-USA rights are both held by ESPN, CBS Sports, and Stadium however. If the Cleveland Classic was a big enough tournament to negotiate its own broadcast contract it might be different. Since it isn't (and since we are essentially a throw-in game) it was unlikely our game would be broadcast, as it would require two networks broadcasting from the same building at essentially the same time. I held out hope when we were undefeated and I saw our wikipedia page mention our game would be on ESPN+, but that was apparently an error by whoever edited that page, as not even ESPN lists the game as being broadcast.

12/29/2019 1:52 pm  #7

CLK wrote:

Dukes bounce back strong.  I look for TDM to have a big game.  Go Dukes!

I'm looking for the Dukes to bounce back and play well also.  I expect a win today.

12/29/2019 1:56 pm  #8

I have a bad feeling about this game. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/29/2019 2:02 pm  #9

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I have a bad feeling about this game. 

Oh Oh.

12/29/2019 2:04 pm  #10

No way this game starting on time. Marshall has 3 guys averaging at least 14 a game. Scott Rigot is one of the assistant coaches.

12/29/2019 2:26 pm  #11

It really is a shame our game isn't being televised. Who would rather watch Michigan beat UMass-Lowell by 20 (FS1), motorcycle racing(FS2), East Tennessee St - Mars Hill (ESPN3) or Presbyterian - Kentucky Christian (ESPN+) than watch what should be a competitive game between the Dukes and Marshall?

12/29/2019 2:29 pm  #12

luckymcd wrote:

It really is a shame our game isn't being televised. Who would rather watch Michigan beat UMass-Lowell by 20 (FS1), motorcycle racing(FS2), East Tennessee St - Mars Hill (ESPN3) or Presbyterian - Kentucky Christian (ESPN+) than watch what should be a competitive game between the Dukes and Marshall?

ESPN has a cornhole match going on.

12/29/2019 2:29 pm  #13

It may have just been an exhibition, but we lost to West Virginia by 8 just like the #2 team in the country just did. That may be a better sign of what kind of team we have than winning the first 10 that counted against minimal competition.

12/29/2019 3:12 pm  #14

Bunnies are not falling.

12/29/2019 3:13 pm  #15

@TheBluffBlog is currently live streaming on Twitter, its been hard for me to keep connection but it's something a little nice to watch along with the radio.
Edit: He has tweeted his phone is dying and he will stream the final minutes if he has the battery.

Last edited by BluffHunter (12/29/2019 3:14 pm)

12/29/2019 3:29 pm  #16

At least we have plenty of experience coming back after some bad starts.

12/29/2019 3:46 pm  #17

Would someone please talk me off the ledge...  Tell me the following please:
-we will come back the second half
-all of those people who said the only reason we had a good OOC record was because the teams we played were weak were WRONG!
-We will get an  NIT bid this year and this will not be another same old Duquesne season...I don't know how many more of these I can take...
-Tell me if we end up losing to Marshall, it doesn't mean we will have a terrible in-conference record 
-We HAVE to win today...I do not know if I can handle a loss to our last OOC team
HELP!HELP!  Need PSYCHIATRIC HELP

Last edited by FAM (12/29/2019 3:47 pm)

12/29/2019 3:52 pm  #18

If this team throws away first halves in the A10, end the season now.    This is sad to listen to.

12/29/2019 3:55 pm  #19

Must win this game. Carry having another subpar performance so far...need him to be the player he is 2nd half.

12/29/2019 4:01 pm  #20

I'm sorry, but for the 'highly acclaimed Dukes' to play so woefully poor [in all aspects of the game] against a very mediocre Marshall, likely indicates that DUQ is not ready to play in A-10 competition.  Waa-- Waa!  I can hear it now from all 3 of my sons & their frat brothers who were on the verge of coming back to see Dukes basketball.  These are the proto typical fans the school is trying to lure back.  Who wants to see another version about to lay another egg?  Turnovers,  putrid shooting...

12/29/2019 4:06 pm  #21

you folks are supposed to be talking me OFF of the ledge, not give me reasons to JUMP!!!!
He needs to get Sincere out of there for a while...
What happened to our big guys taking over a game...
Coach D. said that things are going well at Duquesne except for the fans coming back...well, unless you win, that's not happening...I told you I am on the EDGE!

We should get nothing less than an NIT bid this  year...if we don't...

Last edited by FAM (12/29/2019 4:17 pm)

12/29/2019 4:21 pm  #22

Jump.   This team is weak.  No heart.   Just gave up vs an average team, and in front of a crowd    The postseason window is closing, fast.

12/29/2019 4:33 pm  #23

Dambrot's last video interview certainly indicated his premonition that things could go awry.  Unfortunately another emphatic blow to their momentum...  

12/29/2019 4:44 pm  #24

No heart... no drive except for Weathers.
No defense.
What team is this?  They really ought to be ashamed.

They went from being selected by some for the tournament to losing to two average teams.

Last edited by coffee (12/29/2019 4:46 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

12/29/2019 4:46 pm  #25

If Marshall is "mediocre" as someone said, then what does that make Duquesne?

Board footera