Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2019 7:59 pm  #1

Pathetic

Drove from Columbus to Cleveland in a downpour and so dissappointed.Poor effort,,another Dukes fan I talked to
said it reminded him of a Danny Nee team.Dukes are going to be fortunate to get to 15 or 16 wins.It does not look
good for the rest of season. Marcus Weathers is great, everyone else pathetic.A lack of confidence,playing like a
bunch of losers.Rhode island up next,-was thinking of driving to Pittsburgh for that game but after seeing what I just
watched,no way I am wasting my time watching this Duquesne team.The worst loss in the Dambrot era.

12/29/2019 8:17 pm  #2

Re: Pathetic

Too much dribbling by Carry.Dribble drives to the basket,doesnt dish it off or shoot it , just dribbles it away from the basket and then passes it off.Hasnt shown the great basketball IQ from last year.Not valuing the basketball,careless.If I am being too personal criticizing a player,too bad,the offense starts with him and
it is what it is.

12/29/2019 9:16 pm  #3

The post game interview with Dambrot is on youtube.

12/29/2019 9:24 pm  #4

Well he didn’t show up for his post-game with Ray on the radio...and didn’t even let them know.  

12/29/2019 10:03 pm  #5

This was real bad.I do believe excessive dribbling can be a problem n actually heard this from a staunch Dukes fan at one of the games at LaRoche. The air came out. They aren't that bad or that good. When you are shooting 3s under 20% u aren't that good.

12/29/2019 10:05 pm  #6

Made the drive from Pittsburgh to Cleveland to waste an entire Sunday. The OSU WVU game was 40 minutes of an excruciating exercise in foul-watching. I was actively rooting for both teams to lose. Our Dukes gave us the worst 40 minutes of basketball that I have witnessed under coach KD. Chuck up threes until you’re 0 for 14 from beyond the arc. Sorry coach, there are players that need a red light on shooting the three until they are given the green light. The comment re: Sin was on the money. Dribble, dribble, dribble. Reminded me of a Courtney Wallace show. No set plays, no assists, no pick and rolls.What happened??

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/29/2019 10:11 pm  #7

The only 2 guys who showed up on the stat sheet were weathers, who is turning into  a go to guy, and micheal hughes. Stats from the guards were bad to say the least

12/29/2019 10:25 pm  #8

FAM wrote:

Well he didn’t show up for his post-game with Ray on the radio...and didn’t even let them know.  

I too am bothered by the skipping of post-game radio interviews. The class factor of the program can be observed going up on an almost weekly basis. This move detracts from that a bit. 

However, on the bright side, the interview posted on YouTube is by far my favorite of coach's time at DU. For me, his comments there reinforce the ideas that :
1. If anyone can make this program relevant & respectable, Keith Dambrot is most definitely one of the few people that can make it happen.
2. KD is 100% committed to his coaching methods & values. The players will only be permitted to be on the train or off the train. For better or worse, (I think much better), nobody is going to be allowed to hop on/off as they choose or ride in a private car. Great stuff.

My passion for DU basketball makes it mostly impossible that I would ever completely agree with the style of play or strategic decisions of any coach. (After all, fan is short for fanatic!) In fact, Coach Dambrot's preferred style of play is not one I particularly enjoy. Still, as a firm believer in the notions that there were/are any number of coaching theories that could resurrect the program & that the quality of the leadership is much more relevant than the notoriety of a given coach or that coach's specific Xs & Os. KD has really outstanding leadership qualities for his chosen craft & I am most confident that things are headed in a very positive direction. 

When the Dukes got the poll votes earlier in the month I mentioned that it didn't count for me because it was just John Feinstein doing his thing. I was quite sure then that this team was nowhere near a Top 25 material. Similarly, this team is not the dumpster fire that it is being made out to be this evening. Be cheerful, this team & the future prospects for the program at large are quite good. Certainly, this year's team is much better than any in the previous 8 years & the program has more overall positive momentum than has been witnessed since ......

Some world-weary & battered poster asked in this or another thread to be talked off the ledge. This is the best I can do for you:

I BELIEVE! GO DUKES!

12/29/2019 10:36 pm  #9

When your starting 2 guard is 5-7,you can expect problems with him playing defense.The team still suffers
from a lack of talent.The recruiting  needs to improve .I think  the coaches are pounding the pavement
working hard recruiting but Duquesne is a tough sell.Dambrot is a good coach but so is the other teams coach.Its all about getting better players.After watching todays masterpiece the prospects of going to
a NCAA tournament this year,next year or any year dimmed quite a bit.

12/29/2019 11:44 pm  #10

Outside of winning the conference tournament, the possibility of dancing in March of 2020 is about dead. There was always going to be a super-thin margin for error without the possibility of quality wins in the non-con & the general perception of Duquesne basketball. These consecutive losses & the nature of today's beat down have made that margin positively anorexic.

11 conference wins & first-round success in Brooklyn are unlikely to yield an NIT invitation. I refuse to get my hopes up for a bid to either the Big Dance or the little dance unless/until the Dukes win 13 or more games in conference & are victorious in an A-10 Tournament game. 

That doesn't mean that a quality season showing significant progress is a long shot. Winning 20 games, an A-10 game, & a couple of CBI/CIT games would make me feel great about the future for a wide variety of reasons. I felt that way in October & I feel that way now.

12/29/2019 11:54 pm  #11

We'll know a lot more after the next two games. They're home games against two good, but not great teams. You can get away with losing to these teams on the road, but you have to beat them at home if you're going to win the 11-12 games in the A10 that you'll need to at least be alive for the NIT going into Brooklyn. Dayton is really the only home game you can afford to lose.

12/30/2019 8:31 am  #12

Some of us get too high after wins and too low after losses. That's all I'll say.

12/30/2019 8:45 am  #13

ElDuque wrote:

Some of us get too high after wins and too low after losses. That's all I'll say.

QFT.

12/30/2019 8:55 am  #14

Went up to Cleveland with three other Dukes fans. Ouch. As stated by others, the Dukes effort was simply not there.  They were physically manhandled. Who would have thought that our guard play was going to be a real weakness? Totally agree with the too much dribbling comments. We are a much better team when Sincere looks to score. Coach tried a small lineup at the end of the first half. Scrap that idea - it was horrible. He went big with Maceo as the two and the three bigs - better but probably would need to play zone. It may be time to let Maceo play the two  guard and turn him loose. We need a fourth big. Austin physically is still not ready.  It is time to give James Ellis a chance, if Coach is going to change line-ups. Find out if he can help. I am going to stay optimistic, because Coach will re-focus on defense. But the guard play has to ramp up with scorers. Go Dukes!

12/30/2019 9:07 am  #15

stew wrote:

Drove from Columbus to Cleveland in a downpour and so dissappointed.Poor effort,,another Dukes fan I talked to
said it reminded him of a Danny Nee team.Dukes are going to be fortunate to get to 15 or 16 wins.It does not look
good for the rest of season. Marcus Weathers is great, everyone else pathetic.A lack of confidence,playing like a
bunch of losers.Rhode island up next,-was thinking of driving to Pittsburgh for that game but after seeing what I just
watched,no way I am wasting my time watching this Duquesne team.The worst loss in the Dambrot era.

I get the frustration of a long trip for seemingly nothing, but this post sounds like a drunk dial to an ex. Danny Nee? The coach who only once reached 10 wins in an entire season? We won our first 10. Sure the competition level is going way up the rest of the way, but do you really think we're going to 5-13 in conference?

They played a bad game, no doubt about that, but if anything I think it was overconfidence, not a lack of confidence. Balanced scoring and sharing the ball got us to 10-0. We had a 1 / 2 assist to turnover ratio. That sounds like a team that thought they could take anyone off the dribble. 

Then you go ahed and tell us you were thinking of going to the next game in Pittsburgh against URI. Well we don't play URI for almost a month...and it's an away game. Get a hold of yourself. The Dukes need support. It doesn't mean you can't criticize them; after a game like this it's certainly warranted. Bipolar fandom isn't real fandom.

12/30/2019 9:50 am  #16

I always worried about this game...a streaky team with a unique offense. If they are hot...they can beat anyone. And the Dukes defense has been less than stellar the last 2 games. 

I expected an 11-1 OOC record. I was worried about a hiccup that would be difficult to overcome without the comfort of a home court. The last 2 games the team shot terrible...this has to be an abberation. If not...this will be a long season. Shooting this poorly affects all other aspects of the game....and I think the D was affected.  I really wanted this game...it was a true test for the defense. 

Time to regroup.
2 things I hope change:
1. While a HUGE fan of TDM both as a player and person....I don't think he should start. I think he can be much more effective and disruptive coming off the bench.  I hope to see this change.
2. Carry tries to do to much at times. He dribbles to much and sometimes shoots to much. I hope his game matures.

I see KD's offense the same as the Sacremento Kings with Vlade Divac. Ball movement and working inside out.  The ball must move. Carry has to make sure that happens. KD falls in love with his pg.  Carry played 28 minutes....that says everything.  I think this will be a wake-up call and we see the Carry that is one of the best in the league next game.

One more thing.  This was a big game for the Duq coaching staff. They are still connected to Akron....have friends and former teammates they still stay in touch with. Akron handled Marshall easily in Huntington.  I am taking crap from my Akron friends now...I am sure it is the same for them. KD will get his team focused...that I am sure of.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/30/2019 9:53 am)

12/30/2019 10:15 am  #17

Long season ups & downs. Dambrot besides being a coach has to be a Psychologist. A10 play begins St Louis & Davidson at home(neutral court) League games important.I just don’t see this team tanking. Coach didn’t win 20 games a year by luck. Wake Up call to the players. Listen to the coaches or fail. Go Dukes

12/30/2019 11:03 am  #18

Heck, forget the game - I want to go to the ledge and swan dive after reading these posts. 

I know, stop reading.

12/30/2019 11:06 am  #19

I’m going to go to not starting TDMartin. Weathers has gone to making an impact. Hughes is fine and Maceo is only a freshman and developing. Sometimes he falls in love with a player (I.e. Sincere) and doesn’t see well. He is doing that with TDM. If he isn’t hitting 3’s he can’t help us enough. The guard from Va. is in no way ready for this level so someone has to step up.  If we can get production from another guard who doesn’t just try 3’s it goes a long way. In addition, TDM is too small to play consistent defense against some of the bigger players he has faced.
     Last but not least, instead of changing some players, did he go to a zone yesterday?  I don’t remember. It worked a few weeks ago for Pitt, it has been good for Syracuse, and more. I don’t care if he hates it. What he did yesterday certainly didn’t work. GO DUKES

12/30/2019 11:54 am  #20

At the point where Marshall just put us away, their bench had outscored our bench 38-2. 

12/30/2019 2:53 pm  #21

Hook Shot I couldn’t agree more about Ellis. Steele in my opinion has been a major disappointment in the last two games. It’s not only the horrible 3’s but his total lack of a inside presence.He is 3-18 from the field and most of those misses are near layups.  In each of the last two games no matter what the stats show we have been beaten on the boards. Steele also has none of the defensive capabilities of either Hughes or Weathers. TDM is a major defensive liability and is far better coming off the bench as a spark guy.

12/30/2019 2:59 pm  #22

KD mentioned in the interview that only one and half players 
played defense.
We will know more on Thursday on the changes made by KD.
I remain confident that the team will play better and be competitive
against SLU.

Board footera