Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2019 4:51 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Marshall Thundering Herd

Marshall had a losing record, lost to bad teams and just beat us by 22.   I think i predicted 19 wins and thats not even looking good now.   BOOOOOOOOO

RMU only lost to them by 7.   

Once again, us fans are Charlie Brown and Lucy pulled the ball away, yet again.   ARGH!

Last edited by townsonkid (12/29/2019 4:54 pm)

12/29/2019 4:51 pm  #27

12/29/2019 5:02 pm  #28

It's not looking good for A-10 play. 

12/29/2019 5:08 pm  #29

Dambrot a NO-SHOW again.  I called a friend of mine after the game and told him that Dambrot wouldn't show up for the post-game on the radio.  He asked why...well, I remember at least one game last year and one the year before during the season (maybe 2) where we lost a tough game and he didn't come out for the post-game show.  One of the times he sent an assistant which is fine.  First, know that I believe in him...and couldn't stand Ferry!  But if he was coaching a Div. I big time football team he wouldn't have this choice.  If he was coaching in the NFL, which this isn't, he wouldn't have a choice.  He will have plenty of time to yell at the players (which they deserve - and I'm sure he started today) tomorrow in practice. He wants fans???  Then talk to them.  I am sure many of you will disagree with me and think he has a right to not show up.  Then send an assistant.  I feel like the players didn't show up for the game and now he doesn't show up for Ray's post-game show.  If I'm the AD, which I'm not, I'd talk to him.  As head coach he has certain responsibilities beyond coaching, and this is one of them.  Again, a lot of you will disagree but this is coming from someone who supports this guy 100%...but this is something he has done in prior years.  He needs to face the questions...sorry, my 3 cents worth.  Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (12/29/2019 5:23 pm)

12/29/2019 5:13 pm  #30

Wow - the box score stats are a sight to behold.

Disappointing end to the momentum and hype the team had built up.

Go Dukes.

12/29/2019 5:26 pm  #31

Ouch. Given the very disappointing outcome, it cannot sit well with non-sports university administrators that this information is publicly available.

However, it is certainly a great sign that DU is willing to pay for such opportunities.

12/29/2019 5:56 pm  #32

Should have just gone down there. A road loss wouldn't have hurt nearly as bad. If KD wants to play in Ohio, just schedule Cleveland St.

12/29/2019 6:07 pm  #33

12/29/2019 6:09 pm  #34

Carry 6 TO,  0 assists and only one bucket. 

Shame that such an outstanding performace by Marcus was wasted on this game.

Last edited by CLK (12/29/2019 6:19 pm)

12/29/2019 6:53 pm  #35

Not all bad, IF, Coach regroups, gets back to basics, and really need to handle the ball better. From the start of the season, sloppy passes led to fast turnover points.  Every team we face going forward are going to step into the passing lanes for easy baskets, until the Dukes fix that problem.  Also, it is now apparent that is team cannot shoot open 3's. Again, our opponents are going to make it tough in the paint and dare us to shoot the 3, until Coach finds someone that can hit from 3 point range as a set play, and hurt them with it.  It would be a little easier to make these assumptions if we could watch these games, but even listening, it's apparent that some fundamental breakdowns are occurring. Just one more observation, next time we face a team with this much height advantage over our 5 starters, either put more Bigs in the game from the start, or don't plan to play in the paint, because it will probably not work. Still this Marshall team just didn't match up well with the Dukes without some adjustments. I don't expect us to play this bad all year, but let's hope we get it together for the next game.   

12/29/2019 9:27 pm  #36

Napa, good posts, except I don't agree with the conclusion about our bigs.  Listening to the game, Marcus was having a career game inside, while the other two were getting good shots inside but they just would not fall.  But you are right on the money about our three point shooting, and poor defense.

In a post game interview Dambrot said his players "did not have any juice". I would have to add that that the bigger problem was that our coaches did not have any juice today.  Our in game adjustments were horrible.  How many times to you allow a bench player drill you on wide open threes before you adjust?  How many time do you allow a 6'9" 300 pound player get loose for open layups?  We have guys who consistently get beat off the dribble for lay ups, where is the adjustment?  To me the last two games should be a source of self reflection for KD and staff. They need to step up their coaching.  The harsh reality, however, is that after three years we still do not have a strong bench. 

Going into the season I felt we were going to have a deep, talented bench.  The stats have shown that after the first 12 games neither is true. We basically only play 8 players. Of the three bench players only one averages more than 5 points per game, and one has an overall shooting percentage of  23.5%.

This is not good.

Last edited by CLK (12/29/2019 9:27 pm)

12/29/2019 11:21 pm  #37

CLK wrote:

Napa, good posts, except I don't agree with the conclusion about our bigs.  Listening to the game, Marcus was having a career game inside, while the other two were getting good shots inside but they just would not fall.  But you are right on the money about our three point shooting, and poor defense.

In a post game interview Dambrot said his players "did not have any juice". I would have to add that that the bigger problem was that our coaches did not have any juice today.  Our in game adjustments were horrible.  How many times to you allow a bench player drill you on wide open threes before you adjust?  How many time do you allow a 6'9" 300 pound player get loose for open layups?  We have guys who consistently get beat off the dribble for lay ups, where is the adjustment?  To me the last two games should be a source of self reflection for KD and staff. They need to step up their coaching.  The harsh reality, however, is that after three years we still do not have a strong bench. 

Going into the season I felt we were going to have a deep, talented bench.  The stats have shown that after the first 12 games neither is true. We basically only play 8 players. Of the three bench players only one averages more than 5 points per game, and one has an overall shooting percentage of  23.5%.

This is not good.

The preceding 2 posts are thought-provoking & troublesome. I have to reserve comment on the coaching stuff because I wasn't at the game & I was only able to listen to the last 15 minutes of the first half.

In particular, the evaluation of the bench is insightful. The 10-0 start against mediocre to poor competition concealed the issue until now. Depressingly, this particular situation looks to have no chance of improving as the season progresses. Thank goodness for Steele.

If Frankie was available, Rotroff truly ready to play, & Amari viable by 12/15, the shifting of roles along with the addition of Steele would have made for a much more potent second unit.

Hell, just Frankie & Rotroff at full strength would have made for a really strong 9 man rotation with Ashton & Evan playing primarily "developmental minutes" unless/until they showed the chops to make a serious, season-long contribution. Presently, having TDM in a role more similar to last season's is a very attractive concept.

We all understand injuries are part of the game. 3 jacked knees rendering 3 of the top 9 returning players unable to contribute made this moment inevitable. That is a bad beat & unlikely to happen on a regular basis. So, I am not terribly distraught about the amount of talent in the program. I am however concerned about this season going south if one of the top 7 available players were to miss substantial time. 

12/30/2019 8:38 am  #38

townsonkid wrote:

Jump. This team is weak. No heart. Just gave up vs an average team, and in front of a crowd The postseason window is closing, fast.

12 games into the season?

Pee is trickling down my legs I'm laughing so hard at this. No offense to you specifically, but I read threads like this one and I wonder about our "fan base." A win and it's like everyone too ecstasy drugs. A loss and it's like everyone woke up and found a clogged sink and decided to sell their house.

12/30/2019 9:42 am  #39

Phil, nice post.  I have been very supportive of Dambrot, but the last two games have brought to light some nagging problems that really are on the coaches. The Dukes consistently open the game flat and dig a big hole. Why is that?  Isn't it the job of the coaches to motivate? You can do that against weaker competition, but as the last two games against better competition have shown it is a big problem with a short unproductive bench.  To compound that we continue to turn the ball over at an unacceptable rate.  Is that just on the players or does the coaches share the blame?   When things are going south, the Dukes fail to stick to the game plan, and share the ball.  As some have pointed out, too much dribbling with guys forcing bad shots. In the UAB loss KD said that the players kept settling on taking three point shots, rather than working the ball inside.  My question for KD is who is in charge, the players or the coaches?

One big question I have is our coaching ability to adjust in the game. In my previous post I pointed out some examples from yesterday.   We play a very solid man defense, however, some with some teams a zone defense is more effective.  Moreover, some of our bench players would be way more effective in a zone defense.  I know KD does not like to play zone.  But given the players he has maybe he needs to be a little more flexible?   

I know this post may sound a little harsh, and some posters may not like it, but that is what I see.  Hopefully our coaches will fix these issues going into League play.  Go Dukes!  

Last edited by CLK (12/30/2019 9:43 am)

12/30/2019 1:32 pm  #40

CLK- your post isn't harsh, it is honest.  I totally agree with the zone defense comment and referenced that in my post in the "Pathetic" thread.  One of the things that is scary is that when Coach D. first came over someone wondered if he would be able to compete in the A-10.  Heck, we got blown-out yesterday in a game that was OOC and a team that obviously is better than we are, but probably not as good as the majority of A-10 schools THIS year!!!  

Last edited by FAM (12/30/2019 1:34 pm)

12/30/2019 1:45 pm  #41

ElDuque wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Jump. This team is weak. No heart. Just gave up vs an average team, and in front of a crowd The postseason window is closing, fast.

Pee is trickling down my legs I'm laughing so hard at this. No offense to you specifically, but I read threads like this one and I wonder about our "fan base." A win and it's like everyone too ecstasy drugs. A loss and it's like everyone woke up and found a clogged sink and decided to sell their house.

We fell flat down the stretch vs UAB, and just laid an egg yesterday v Marshall, 2 middle of the road C-USA teams.   Those, BTW, are the 2 best teams we played this year.     Doesnt lend to a warm and fuzzy feeling.

12/30/2019 1:55 pm  #42

FAM wrote:

CLK- your post isn't harsh, it is honest.  I totally agree with the zone defense comment and referenced that in my post in the "Pathetic" thread.  One of the things that is scary is that when Coach D. first came over someone wondered if he would be able to compete in the A-10.  Heck, we got blown-out yesterday in a game that was OOC and a team that obviously is better than we are, but probably not as good as the majority of A-10 schools THIS year!!!  

FAM, this is way too negative, you really need to take a step back.  We had a bad game, that does not make the Dukes a bad team.  We have seen that this team can more than compete in the A10.  The things I referenced are fixable.  I am encouraged that after my post I saw the video of Dambrot below.  Looks like some changes will be coming.

12/30/2019 2:42 pm  #43

I really like and respect KD. I believe he is one of the good guys in sports. He will not sacrafice his principles  for a win. He looks out for his players...Brandon Wade still respects him.  I love watching the growth and development of teams and this team is very interesting. This team has talent but also has many holes. He has rotated 10-11 players in the past...the current short rotation is perplexing. I suspect Ellis and Kelly are about to join the fun.

12/30/2019 2:49 pm  #44

KD  has been through this situation before and has a good idea as to
what action to take.
The Steelers were 1-4 and their starting QB, a possible hall of famer, out
for the year yet managed an 8-8 year with an undrafted free agent QB from an FCS school.
I will take it one game at a time.  Next up is SLU.
Let's see what happens.

12/30/2019 3:36 pm  #45

Econ69 wrote:

KD  has been through this situation before and has a good idea as to
what action to take.
The Steelers were 1-4 and their starting QB, a possible hall of famer, out
for the year yet managed an 8-8 year with an undrafted free agent QB from an FCS school.

I will take it one game at a time.  Next up is SLU.
Let's see what happens.

Of course 40% of the fan base thinks that Tomlin is a bum, and want him fired. Most of that 40% also thought Cowher was an idiot, and incapable of winning big games until Ben showed up. Now that he's no longer here, he's the greatest coach ever. I assume we'll be hearing the same thing about Tomlin if the next guy doesn't land in the Super Bowl within a year or two. Every fan base has these types.

12/30/2019 5:34 pm  #46

Nothing I said CLK was false.  So if the truth was negative, than sobeit.  I do not doubt Coach D. but am concerned not that we lost, but how we lost.  Hey, no one expected a perfect year, an undefeated season etc.   I Never expected that we would get blown out by that team...which causes me concern.  Yes, it's early and yes, we can and will get better but getting blown out like we did...I never saw that coming!  It brought back too many "old" but not that old memories of DU teams/years.  Go Dukes!

Last edited by FAM (12/30/2019 5:36 pm)

12/30/2019 5:37 pm  #47

12/30/2019 6:48 pm  #48

Without a doubt, that was a disappointing, frustrating loss, but I think we might be a little too harsh on Keith for bailing on the postgame interview.  We don't know what was going on in the locker room at the time.  Maybe he saw or heard something that needed addressed right away, postgame show be damned.

I remember Porter missing quite a few postgame interviews after tough losses.  I don't recall Ron ever missing one.  I recall that Nee & Ferry never skipped one either; they relished them so they could go public with their excuses right away.

1/01/2020 11:34 am  #49

townsonkid wrote:

Marshall had a losing record, lost to bad teams and just beat us by 22. I think i predicted 19 wins and thats not even looking good now. BOOOOOOOOO

Marshall became a different team the 1st game of the 2nd semester when PG Andrew Taylor became eligible. As most if not all of you know it only takes 1 sometimes 2 players to turn a whole team around. Before the Dec 16th game against Morehead State ball movement was not crisp and sometimes nonexistent. With Taylor in the lineup and running things it is moving the way it needs to in D'Antoni's system. And the team as a whole is getting better shots.

If Taylor would have been eligible from the beginning of the year I believe Marshall would have at least 3 more wins. The 2nd meeting with Toledo, Akron and a win at #24 Florida. Marshall was ahead by 8 at halftime 33-25.

1/02/2020 7:50 am  #50

ElDuque wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

So true.  Better teams than Dukes have lost to worse teams than Marshall this season.  I don't at all discount any of the negative comments made by others who know more / follow more closely than me, but 6 players combined for 4-28, or add Hughes and it's "up to" 10-47.  I'm not saying it was merely a bad night shooting, but we knew there would be some regression.  Let's get these first 2!

Board footera