Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2020 6:43 pm  #1

Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (H)

7:00pm EST tip on Thursday 01/02/2020 at UPMC Events Center, Moon Township, PA
Per KenPom:
Dukes #87 (10-2) vs Saint Louis Billikens #91 (11-2; 10-2 vs. D-1)
Game prediction: Dukes win by 5, 68-63 - Dukes with 65% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 3 point favorites; Over/Under 134½
Duquesne 5-7 Against the Spread: Saint Louis 8-4 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Indiana State (116); Radford (127)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): UAB (154); Marshall (155)
Saint Louis Best Win(s): Belmont (83); Kansas St. (89)
Saint Louis Worst Loss(es): Seton Hall (21); Auburn (14)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Saint Louis for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (21); FT Rate (38)
Offensive Weakness:  None 
Defensive Strength:  Effective FG % (42)
Defensive Weakness:  FT Rate % (270)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 353 teams):
Offensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (92); Effective FG % (98)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Turnover % (62); Offensive Rebound % (72); Effective FG% (96)
Defensive Weakness:  None

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Saint Louis Adj Offense Efficiency - 101.5, #147 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 93.6, #62 in D-1
Saint Louis Adj Defense Efficiency - 93.8, #65 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 102.5, #122 in D-1
Saint Louis Adj Tempo - 68.6, #238 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 69.6, #190 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Saint Louis 1.22 yrs, #308 in D-1; Dukes 1.38 yrs, #274 in D-1
Minutes Continuity - Saint Louis 38.1%, #251 in D-1; Dukes 55.4%, #109 in D-1
Average Height - Saint Louis 75.8", #305 in D-1; Dukes 76.0", #299 in D-1

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/02/2020 7:36 am)

1/01/2020 6:44 pm  #2

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (H)

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 75th in the country; and OUT in the NCAA Tournament.
Saint Louis is 95th in the country and OUT in the NCAA.
Automated Game Preview:  http://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=301&tid2=4391&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (1/02/2020 7:44 am)

1/01/2020 7:56 pm  #3

SLU is a great rebounding team,probably the most physical team I ve seen.The problem with SLU is outside
shooting and they were ranked dead last Division 1 free throw shooting.French is about 6-7 260 and strong,
athletic.They have a guard who leads the country in rebounding at the guard position,like 11 rpg.
GO DUKES

1/02/2020 9:23 am  #4

This is close to a must win game if we hope to achieve any of our goals this season.

1/02/2020 10:05 am  #5

What a great, huge article this morning in the PG on the Dukes first A-10 game with the Billikens!  Oh wait, that was another Pitt promotion about two walk-ons.  While it is a nice story, no coverage doesn’t help interest or attendance.  Guess there wasn’t enough space.  Sorry to start the year off with a whine.

1/02/2020 10:42 am  #6

Robert Morris is currently 4-9. They used to get more coverage too...when they won. armPitt is still the biggest program in town. The following has been said frequently... “Until we win, we are irrelevant”. Said by the coach many times and us on this board
When we were undefeated in the OOC we were in the conversation on talk radio n tv. We aren’t there any more either. Though the OOC schedule was fun, we still haven’t beaten anyone that is good. We lost to the 2 best teams we played. Until we win, unless there is a big downtime in sports, folks outside of us don’t care about DU basketball. It has been this way for the last 25 years. Go Dukes!!! Beat St. Louis.

1/02/2020 11:06 am  #7

FAM wrote:

Robert Morris is currently 4-9. They used to get more coverage too...when they won. armPitt is still the biggest program in town. The following has been said frequently... “Until we win, we are irrelevant”. Said by the coach many times and us on this board
When we were undefeated in the OOC we were in the conversation on talk radio n tv. We aren’t there any more either. Though the OOC schedule was fun, we still haven’t beaten anyone that is good. We lost to the 2 best teams we played. Until we win, unless there is a big downtime in sports, folks outside of us don’t care about DU basketball. It has been this way for the last 25 years. Go Dukes!!! Beat St. Louis.

Radford is #128.  UAB and Marshall are #154 and 155.

1/02/2020 11:20 am  #8

Dsnyder15 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Radford is #128. UAB and Marshall are #154 and 155.

Good point, dsnyder15! I dispute that the Dukes haven't played anyone good. I'm not saying they've played great teams, but it is unfair to say they haven't beaten anyone that is good. Radford has a pretty fair team in my opinion. No sense going down through the schedule, but here are two more samplings: Air Force just beat a 9-6 Cal Riverside team 105-56 and Indiana State has won eight straight since the loss to Duquesne. Dukes have not played well lately, for sure. Time to refocus. The talent is there.

1/02/2020 11:52 am  #9

I'm not that concerned about PG coverage.
The paper is down to three print editions a week.
Eventually, the PG will be like the Trib-no print editions.
Which means coverage will be online only.
We have online source, such as PSN, for coverage and Zach Weiss who does an
excellent job at covering Dukes-men and women.
As for Pitt, they have state funding-tax dollars from wages statewide
from people who could care less about Pitt or sports.
Before Pitt was on the public dole, Pitt had memorable games against
Westminster and CMU and had a coach, Buzz Ridl, who coached at Westminster.
Same goes for PSU who is also on the public dole.
Enough of my rant.  Winable game tonight. 

1/02/2020 12:29 pm  #10

My speculation for tonight is we see Norman or Miller starting, whoever KD thinks is the better defender. TDM goes to the bench, making both the bench and the starting lineup a little better. 

1/02/2020 12:37 pm  #11

DSnyder - you are right about Radford...my mistake.  I know the other teams have a "lower" rating, but though I am Not an expert at all!!!...  I usually go into the other teams schedules (sometimes I don't have a life) and see who they played, what their scores were, and how those other teams were doing.  When I did, I just felt that (the two schools we lost to)  played some good games and were extremely competitive.   I was worried about UAB from the start and again, I could be wrong, but I think Marshall had a guard out during their early season and he may have come back for the DU game.  Anyhow, good points by you!  If the last game would have been close (Marshall), we might not be having some of these conversations, but it wasn't and that's also what bothered Coach D.

Back to the PG, again, we are not going to get coverage until we show we are beating the teams in our league.  MikeR - part of me says yes, TDM not starting, then part of me says Coach D. might not want to change TDM because of his history with him.  But let's face it, just because one starts, it doesn't mean they won't play a lot.    I agree with a poster in another thread who said that TDM is better for us coming off of the bench.  Go Dukes

Last edited by FAM (1/02/2020 12:40 pm)

1/02/2020 1:31 pm  #12

tonight will shed light on a number of things, a couple of them being:

1. generally, "how good is Duquesne right now"
2. This team's ability to bounce back from adversity.

They got smoked by Marshall. as in non-competitive.  Let's hope the embarrassment lights a fire or two.

Go Dukes!
L - '06

1/02/2020 1:42 pm  #13

Hope everyone talked to themselves off the ledge over the holidays.

Let's have some fun tonight. Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/02/2020 8:08 pm  #14

RMU’s UPMC center is nice enough but it almost looks like a squished AJP. Hope we take something from this as our new center is built.

1/02/2020 8:11 pm  #15

You win with defense.

1/02/2020 8:13 pm  #16

Mulder wrote:

RMU’s UPMC center is nice enough but it almost looks like a squished AJP. Hope we take something from this as our new center is built.

What's the crowd look like?

1/02/2020 8:19 pm  #17

Amazing what hustle and defense can do. Keep it up!

1/02/2020 8:26 pm  #18

duq81 wrote:

Mulder wrote:

What's the crowd look like?

About what we get at AJP.

Last edited by Mulder (1/02/2020 8:33 pm)

1/02/2020 8:37 pm  #19

Is ESPN+ down for everybody else?

1/02/2020 8:48 pm  #20

phil95 wrote:

On and off. But not good for something I pay + for.

1/02/2020 8:59 pm  #21

Dukes win 73-59
Solid defense too many turnovers but SLU committed  a lot of fouls
Controlled Goodwin
Steele, Weathers and Austin had big buckets in 2nd half
Big win  breaks 2 game losing streak now 1-0 in conference

1/02/2020 9:00 pm  #22

MikeR wrote:

phil95 wrote:

On and off. But not good for something I pay + for.

Very irritating, ESPN+. Good game result however.

1/02/2020 9:01 pm  #23

Needed that one. Weathers is great again and Dunn Martin played better coming off the bench. Didn't get crushed on the boards.

1/02/2020 9:02 pm  #24

Great game.  This looks like the 10-0 Dukes.  It was mentioned this was the first game back in PGH since 12-9-19.  Very solid game against a strong and a very rough-playing St.Louis team.  Looking forward to the A-10 season again!!

1/02/2020 9:09 pm  #25

Must win game now in the victory column!!

Board footera