Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2020 9:09 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (H)

Still not shooting well as a team. Need to gain confidence with their shot. Defense will carry them through bad shooting nights.  If you have an open and good shot...take the shot. Keep shooting...eventually good shooters will find the range.

1/02/2020 9:24 pm  #27

Again great job AD aka Dave not the Quinipiac Clown but the espn + broadcast is the responsibility of the Home team per A10 contract with espn. Great job by the A10 commissioner to get contract. But the production is as always typical Duquesne Sh#t. Secondly, why does the STL players body shape resemble men vs. 18 year old boys as per the Dukes. Coach like Bob Huggins get your teams own personal strength coach for next year. A blind man can see the lack of body build on he Dukes.As to he positive in contrast to other posters great job Coach Dambrot 👏👏👏👏👏👌

1/02/2020 9:33 pm  #28

Happy to see them play, espn+ was bad for me too.   Good defense to hold them under 60.   KD needs to have them run a weave or something when milking the clock.   Sin just cant dribble by himself.   Weathers, Hughes and Steele will be tough for any A10 team to defend or score on.   

TDM going for 6th man award again!

I liked the look of their court.   We should do similar.

1/02/2020 9:49 pm  #29

I apologize for being so negative after the Marshall game.Dukes played hard tonight and beat a very good
St.Louis team .Weathers looking like a first team A10 performer,he is surprisingly quick and agile for his size.
The effort on defense and the rebounding ,it was just great.Hopefully we can get that first win ever against
Davidson. A really critical game and the Dukes came through.

1/02/2020 9:57 pm  #30

Ironduke81 wrote:

Again great job AD aka Dave not the Quinipiac Clown but the espn + broadcast is the responsibility of the Home team per A10 contract with espn. Great job by the A10 commissioner to get contract. But the production is as always typical Duquesne Sh#t. Secondly, why does the STL players body shape resemble men vs. 18 year old boys as per the Dukes. Coach like Bob Huggins get your teams own personal strength coach for next year. A blind man can see the lack of body build on he Dukes.As to he positive in contrast to other posters great job Coach Dambrot 👏👏👏👏👏👌

S.L. was very physical and at one point in the second half, scored after roughing us up, but then Steele just leveled one of them when he set a screen.  It was great to see us put one on them right after seeing them rough us up. Steele was very physical on rebounds too.  Weathers didn't let anyone push him around either. I think this team can beat almost any team in the A-10 when they play this well.

1/02/2020 10:06 pm  #31

Dukes looked very good today. I went to both this game and the Marshall game and it was like watching two different teams. They played hard and smart defensively and made some shots. Sincere played much more like Sincere and not the evil twin that has shown up a few times this year. Weathers just comes to play night in and night out. He was a solid starter last year and has made a giant leap forward to Star this year.

1/02/2020 10:13 pm  #32

The early schedule is very favorable. If we can beat Davidson Sunday, we have a real chance to be no worse than 16-3 when Dayton comes to town. If that happens, it will be a test to see if the team can attract a decent crowd to see a good Dukes team play one of the nation's top teams. I'm sure half of the city of Dayton will be there . Will the students show? Can we attract some of the older fans who have given up on the program? How many of the bandwagon types who are not Pitt alums, but were filling up the Pete 10 years ago will show up? Hope it plays out that way. It's been a long time since there was a really big time feel at a Duquesne home game, maybe not since Red Manning was still here, and games against Nova, Maryland, ND, and Providence pulled big crowds to the Civic Arena.

1/02/2020 10:15 pm  #33

-Awesome Game - Enjoyed it
-Crowd was into it - I'd say around 1,300 there
-Weathers is a beast!
-Love it having TDM coming off of the bench
GO DUKES!

1/02/2020 10:52 pm  #34

duq81 wrote:

The early schedule is very favorable. If we can beat Davidson Sunday, we have a real chance to be no worse than 16-3 when Dayton comes to town. If that happens, it will be a test to see if the team can attract a decent crowd to see a good Dukes team play one of the nation's top teams. I'm sure half of the city of Dayton will be there . Will the students show? Can we attract some of the older fans who have given up on the program? How many of the bandwagon types who are not Pitt alums, but were filling up the Pete 10 years ago will show up? Hope it plays out that way. It's been a long time since there was a really big time feel at a Duquesne home game, maybe not since Red Manning was still here, and games against Nova, Maryland, ND, and Providence pulled big crowds to the Civic Arena.

We had good crowds at the Consol Arena during the 11 game streak against Dayton and Xavier. If this team keeps winning, I would expect those kind of crowds at that point too..     

1/02/2020 10:59 pm  #35

FAM wrote:

-Awesome Game - Enjoyed it
-Crowd was into it - I'd say around 1,300 there
-Weathers is a beast!
-Love it having TDM coming off of the bench
GO DUKES!

Glad to see Weathers getting respect here now.  I am sure he believes he is more than a 6th man (after improvement).  I have always been a big believer in MW and think he represents exactly what KD wants in a player....hard worker, team first, cerebral, plays defense with passion and effort.

Traditionally the 2 and 3 are a threat to score.  Duq needs the 2/3 to be more of a threat if they want to be a top A10 team.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/03/2020 10:02 am)

1/02/2020 11:24 pm  #36

Ironduke81 wrote:

Which Dukes have a "boy's body build:?  Hughes and Weathers have dropped pounds and become better since their transfers. They are plenty strong and lean too. Sincere and Steele both have powerful builds. The entire roster is not lacking in physicality, as they showed tonight. St Louis has lots of wide bodies, tough guys, but they lost the game, didn't they?

1/02/2020 11:35 pm  #37

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

We had good crowds at the Consol Arena during the 11 game streak against Dayton and Xavier. If this team keeps winning, I would expect those kind of crowds at that point too..     

Those crowds were nothing like what we had when we played big games back when Manning was here. It was like a Pens game when Villanova, or ND came here. With the number of people from Dayton that are likely to come (weather permitting), if we're 16-3, or better yet, 17-2, I'll be very disappointed if attendance isn't over 8,000.

1/03/2020 12:37 am  #38

Dont let the highs get too high. Last week everyone was ready to cut their losses for the season. One good game and all of a sudden the talk is looking 6 games ahead. Relax.

The physicality of the first half was....something. the 2nd game will be a bloodbath if it's called like that again.

Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/03/2020 2:04 am  #39

Press conference, great team win! Like TDM coming off the bench! Steele Hughes and weathers dominated the inside against what’s supposed to be one of the better and more physical posts in the A10.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/01/02/duquesne-opens-a-10-play-with-a-solid-73-59-win-over-saint-louis/

1/03/2020 6:54 am  #40

Hughes, Dunn-Martin, Weathers. I said before, getting this team back intact next season when these three are seniors (with Carry and Norman juniors and Austin a soph), with some development from our young post players (Rotroff, Kelly, Hughes) will be HUGE! This was a good win, great way to start 2020 and conference play. Nice to see (mostly) sober comments here. Go Dukes! 

1/03/2020 9:19 am  #41

"I'm not that concerned about PG coverage.
The paper is down to three print editions a week."
This is the newspaper that took over the Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph and later the Pittsburgh Press.  How sad that the paper is now struggling.

1/03/2020 9:29 am  #42

The PG, for the Th-Fr-Sun delivery, its $6/week.   For just Sunday its $5.50.    One would think they would offer up a better deal on Sundays.   But a failing pile of dung doesnt have many options.

16-3, that would be nice, but I wouldnt count on more Dukes fans than Dayton for a game at PPG.   Sad.
That might also get eyes looking at the Dukes, from just average bball fans around town.    That is the game the Dukes have always lost, and let the fans go back to whatever they were doing.

Long way to go to get there, hopefully we get that chance!

1/03/2020 10:51 am  #43

townsonkid wrote:

The PG, for the Th-Fr-Sun delivery, its $6/week.   For just Sunday its $5.50.    One would think they would offer up a better deal on Sundays.   But a failing pile of dung doesnt have many options.

16-3, that would be nice, but I wouldnt count on more Dukes fans than Dayton for a game at PPG.   Sad.
That might also get eyes looking at the Dukes, from just average bball fans around town.    That is the game the Dukes have always lost, and let the fans go back to whatever they were doing.

Long way to go to get there, hopefully we get that chance!

17-2 FIFY ;)

1/03/2020 11:58 am  #44

Weathers at 14.5 and 8 and is looking like he's not going to be slowing down anytime soon.

1/03/2020 1:10 pm  #45

While I see lots of positives to take away from that game (as enumerated in the above posts)...  i  also see lots of areas that need work if we want to move toward the elite in the A10:

Cold shooting to start the game seems to always put us in a hole.  I heard that we didn't practice at RMU before the day of the game.  Why not?  

High number of turnovers (21) normally means you lose the game.

Toward the end (with an 11 point lead)  it was apparent that we are shaky at eating clock minutes.  Sin can't be dribbling it around in traffic at that point.  Need some safe 4 point passing incorporated.

Having covered some of the negatives, it's great to see the foul shooting has markedly improved.  that was certainly a factor in last night's game...

1/03/2020 1:37 pm  #46

gjgsr wrote:

While I see lots of positives to take away from that game (as enumerated in the above posts)...  i  also see lots of areas that need work if we want to move toward the elite in the A10:

Cold shooting to start the game seems to always put us in a hole.  I heard that we didn't practice at RMU before the day of the game.  Why not?  

Toward the end (with an 11 point lead)  it was apparent that we are shaky at eating clock minutes.  Sin can't be dribbling it around in traffic at that point.  Need some safe 4 point passing incorporated.

Having covered some of the negatives, it's great to see the foul shooting has markedly improved.  that was certainly a factor in last night's game...

Probably because they have their own basketball program, and are not willing to inconvenience themselves beyond a certain point. I would assume that the same issues were in play when they had to use Palumbo. Both schools should be glad they were able to use each other's facilities when needed. I don't think Fitzgerald Fieldhouse is set up for hoops anymore, otherwise I would have expected some games to be played there.

1/03/2020 1:49 pm  #47

Actually KD said they had a chance for a shoot around there the day before. He felt rest was needed after intense practices though.

1/03/2020 3:45 pm  #48

MikeR wrote:

Actually KD said they had a chance for a shoot around there the day before. He felt rest was needed after intense practices though.

Rest is important. 3 point shooting comes from the legs to launch. Fatigue just kills 3 point percent.  Those two losses were interesting in that this team constantly on the road was flat out tired.  Resting these kids did more to get some 3's to drop than taking the night before to do a shoot around and the bus ride to and from RM.  Coach must have had a feel for it.

1/03/2020 4:02 pm  #49

gjgsr wrote:

I felt it was a positive to start a different starting five instead of the predictable, see, being too predictable and your opponents can better prepare for it.  Also, starting the same five isn't that good either, since each team you face presents a different match-up and unique challenges. This was a very big win for many reasons.  First, it's the A-10, second, this is a very good physical team we just beat. Third, coach got this team to re-group after two loses and play sound BB.  As far as turnovers, Sin got trapped a few times and they need to practice an out-let pass to the Duke player that is not covered.  He surely can see his opponent moving away from him to trap the point guard?  Heck it should be an opportunity to get the pass and be wide open (momentarily) for a wide open shot or drive to the hoop.  Need some practice there. Sin has been trapped before and teams are going to pick up on it. 

1/03/2020 6:12 pm  #50

SC had 8 assists and 3 turnovers.
I believe Austin and Weathers each had 5 turnovers.
Overall, ball protection was bad with 21 turnovers.
SLU had 24 fouls plus our defense was very good.
Great shooting in the second half.
Not perfect but more than good enough to win.  

Board footera