Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2020 6:22 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Saint Louis Billikens (H)

Econ69 wrote:

SC had 8 assists and 3 turnovers.
I believe Austin and Weathers each had 5 turnovers.
Overall, ball protection was bad with 21 turnovers.
SLU had 24 fouls plus our defense was very good.
Great shooting in the second half.
Not perfect but more than good enough to win.  

Great observation on turnovers.  Coach mentioned going back to basics in practice. These turnovers can be minimized by going back to the basics. Still turnovers to such a good defensive team is not as bad as when we do it to a lesser team. 

1/03/2020 8:33 pm  #52

Maybe its been stated, mike hughes 7 blocked shots, weathers is on a monster roll,and who saw that absolutely beautiful fade away jumper Carry hit in the tense moments of the second half just below the free throw line...dazzling

1/04/2020 1:10 pm  #53

I liked TDM coming off the bench, but I can't help but wonder if Steele should have been moved to the starting lineup instead of Norman. Moving Austin to the 2, Weathers to the 3, and inserting Steele at the 4 gives us a more typical lineup that I think could match up physically with anyone we're going to face and even overpower some. My only concern would be if Weathers is quick enough to handle wingmen defensively, but I think he is.

With TDM and Steele I think there's a very good chance we'll have the sixth man of the year again, and Weathers has to be getting some consideration for most improved player in the conference. He was putting up huge numbers in the radio only games and I was wondering how he was getting it done. Seeing him against St. Louis was a revelation. That is a hardnosed team and they couldn't contain him. Forget about since last season, even within this season he's improved drastically.

1/04/2020 2:25 pm  #54

luckymcd wrote:

I liked TDM coming off the bench, but I can't help but wonder if Steele should have been moved to the starting lineup instead of Norman. Moving Austin to the 2, Weathers to the 3, and inserting Steele at the 4 gives us a more typical lineup that I think could match up physically with anyone we're going to face and even overpower some. My only concern would be if Weathers is quick enough to handle wingmen defensively, but I think he is.

With TDM and Steele I think there's a very good chance we'll have the sixth man of the year again, and Weathers has to be getting some consideration for most improved player in the conference. He was putting up huge numbers in the radio only games and I was wondering how he was getting it done. Seeing him against St. Louis was a revelation. That is a hardnosed team and they couldn't contain him. Forget about since last season, even within this season he's improved drastically.

With Steele starting the perimeter shooting would be negatively affected and defense would be weakened too. Keep TDM and Steele coming off the bench. With a short bench both will get plenty of minutes and you can manage match-ups better.  IMO

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/04/2020 2:33 pm)

1/04/2020 3:04 pm  #55

luckymcd wrote:

You are so right about Weathers. The improvement from game 12 to game 31 last year was really surprising. Just improving your foul shooting to that degree, in that space of time is incredibly noteworthy. Still, he projected to be a high contributing tweener that was bound to struggle some against big frontlines & accomplished small lineups alike.

I don't think it is hyperbole to characterize this year's performance as a revelation. His relentless energy on defense in general & the boards in particular now feature impressive focus & discipline. His ability to finish has improved dramatically. His shot selection shows smarts & maturity. Where did this powerful & delicate offensive footwork come from? No new fan would ever believe that Marcus's first 50 or so free throw attempts as a Duke were positively cringe-worthy.

It occurred to me this morning that if KD would have said last year in a post-game presser that Marcus is a guy that will always make some bonehead plays, I would have nodded in chagrined agreement. When the coach said that on Thursday, I was almost offended by the suggestion. Please count me among those fans that are stunned by & thrilled for Marcus. Bravo!

Board footera