Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2020 9:35 am  #26

Re: James Ellis

townsonkid wrote:

Ellis, maybe we saw last night why KD keeps him on the bench mostly, he needs to mature....but the ability sure does seem to be there.   How many times do you see a ref basically suggest a player be removed from the game(if thats what happened)?   Again, IDK.   Regarldess, hopefully it was a lesson learned.

It's doubtful we'll find out, but I'm really curious what he said. He was smiling the whole time, so I really didn't think it was anything too bad. It was definitely a strange situation with the ref though. It seemed like he didn't want to T him up; why bother extending a game that's over all but the clock. He pointed to him and said something to Dambrot and I thought he might have been going to give him a T. Dambrot got the sub (I forget who it was) up and ready to go, but then the ref let the first shot go without the sub happening. Then when the second one went up I thought it was all forgotten, until he stopped the game to force the sub. I think the forced sub was instead of a technical, but it was definitely a strange situation. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

1/09/2020 10:28 am  #27

luckymcd wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Ellis, maybe we saw last night why KD keeps him on the bench mostly, he needs to mature....but the ability sure does seem to be there.   How many times do you see a ref basically suggest a player be removed from the game(if thats what happened)?   Again, IDK.   Regarldess, hopefully it was a lesson learned.

It's doubtful we'll find out, but I'm really curious what he said. He was smiling the whole time, so I really didn't think it was anything too bad. It was definitely a strange situation with the ref though. It seemed like he didn't want to T him up; why bother extending a game that's over all but the clock. He pointed to him and said something to Dambrot and I thought he might have been going to give him a T. Dambrot got the sub (I forget who it was) up and ready to go, but then the ref let the first shot go without the sub happening. Then when the second one went up I thought it was all forgotten, until he stopped the game to force the sub. I think the forced sub was instead of a technical, but it was definitely a strange situation. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

luckymcd, thanks for the eyewitness report. From watching on the stream, I had pretty much the same thoughts - I couldn’t be sure because the camera shot cut away a couple of times. I’m with you, I don’t recall ever seeing that before.

1/09/2020 11:46 am  #28

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

luckymcd, thanks for the eyewitness report. From watching on the stream, I had pretty much the same thoughts - I couldn’t be sure because the camera shot cut away a couple of times. I’m with you, I don’t recall ever seeing that before.

James talks. A lot. All game. I think the ref had some rabbit ears, and even came over once during the second half to say something (not directly to James, but to his end of the bench). Then, he comes in with 40 seconds left and is playing with 10 times the energy of everyone else on the court. That ref just wanted to get out of Dodge without any kind of altercation, and having James sit the last few seconds (without a T) was what he decided to do. It didn't look like KD was upset with James afterwards.

1/09/2020 4:29 pm  #29

mjp1542 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

James talks. A lot. All game. I think the ref had some rabbit ears, and even came over once during the second half to say something (not directly to James, but to his end of the bench). Then, he comes in with 40 seconds left and is playing with 10 times the energy of everyone else on the court. That ref just wanted to get out of Dodge without any kind of altercation, and having James sit the last few seconds (without a T) was what he decided to do. It didn't look like KD was upset with James afterwards.

Ellis is agile and energetic. His size just presents a problem  on the court.  I would be not very surprised by next year, that he is in the roll that Bailey is playing now. You can't teach 7 foot.

1/09/2020 5:25 pm  #30

It was absolutely ridiculous that they sent him off the court. James is a kid who just wants to be on the court, and so far he has had ample opportunity to prove himself. To prohibit a kid from playing in garbage time just because, like said above, he was playing with 10 times the energy than anybody else on the court. Of course he's going to... he wants to play. I was behind that net as well at the game and after the second free throw James did not do a thing, I was disgusted to see a ref ruin a kids opportunity at getting some court time.

1/09/2020 5:29 pm  #31

NapaDuke wrote:

mjp1542 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Ellis is agile and energetic. His size just presents a problem  on the court.  I would be not very surprised by next year, that he is in the roll that Bailey is playing now. You can't teach 7 foot.

I will be incredibly surprised if James Ellis is contributing more than mop-up minutes again next year.  First of all, he will be behind Hughes, Kelly and Rotroff.  You are assuming with this statement he beats our Kelly AND Rotroff for those minutes?  Not to mention, I would assume the role played by Steele where he is on the floor whenever Marcus takes a breather would be filled some by Harris.  Steele is a guy who can shoot.  Kelly and Ellis are not effective outside scorers further limiting their playing time to whenever Michael is not in the game. 

1/09/2020 7:54 pm  #32

WEB wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

mjp1542 wrote:

I will be incredibly surprised if James Ellis is contributing more than mop-up minutes again next year.  First of all, he will be behind Hughes, Kelly and Rotroff.  You are assuming with this statement he beats our Kelly AND Rotroff for those minutes?  Not to mention, I would assume the role played by Steele where he is on the floor whenever Marcus takes a breather would be filled some by Harris.  Steele is a guy who can shoot.  Kelly and Ellis are not effective outside scorers further limiting their playing time to whenever Michael is not in the game. 

He reminds me of Deji Ibitayo from Akron. Deji was a wing and like Elis, was incredibly gifted athleticly. Deji was 6.3 so he did not have the same upside as Ellis. KD played Deji in years 1-3 despite getting hammered by fans for playing him. As a senior...Deji was one of the teams best players. I don't think KD will give up on Ellis and I think he will be valuable rotation player as early as next year.

KD likes to have a shooter at PF.  That is why I did not see Steele and Hughes on the floor together much.  But Steele can shoot....so it is a different story. Hughes will not be PF to Ellis at C because neither are effective 3pt shooters. I do believe Ellis can be highly effective and the 2 of them playing together with the lead would be impressive.

1/09/2020 9:08 pm  #33

BluffHunter wrote:

It was absolutely ridiculous that they sent him off the court. James is a kid who just wants to be on the court, and so far he has had ample opportunity to prove himself. To prohibit a kid from playing in garbage time just because, like said above, he was playing with 10 times the energy than anybody else on the court. Of course he's going to... he wants to play. I was behind that net as well at the game and after the second free throw James did not do a thing, I was disgusted to see a ref ruin a kids opportunity at getting some court time.

Whatever happened happened even before the first foul shot. That was when the ref signaled he needed to come off. I was a little disappointed that he kept talking after the first foul shot. You are right, he did nothing after the second except get back on defense; by that point the damage was done though and the ref had already made up his mind. I don't think it was a matter of just playing with too much energy or anything like that. He clearly faced the St. Joe's big man and said something to him. It didn't seem like anything more than playful trash talk to me, but the ref clearly didn't like something he said.

1/10/2020 9:38 am  #34

I just dont want to see what happened at the end further limit his playing time with KD.    We wont be blowing out many teams, and that seems the only time he plays, wish that werent true, but it is what it is.   I loved the energy and the blocked shot.

1/10/2020 6:00 pm  #35

townsonkid wrote:

I just dont want to see what happened at the end further limit his playing time with KD.    We wont be blowing out many teams, and that seems the only time he plays, wish that werent true, but it is what it is.   I loved the energy and the blocked shot.

I definitely agree. He's had a great attitude despite the limited playing time, and I'd like to see that rewarded. I don't think he will be limited any further though. Dambrot probably knew exactly what he said and has probably heard him say it a dozen times before. This ref didn't like it and forced his hand. It didn't seem like Coach was too angry though.

Board footera