Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2020 12:23 pm  #1

Crowd/Students

This is not a new topic, but I must say it is more and more disturbing.  At the GM game I actually went down and was whopping it up with the, get this, 5 students who were at the game.  I had a blast with these kids, and they had no explanation as to why others don't attend, but something has to give here.  Since KD arrived we've had 16, 19 and now 20+ win seasons.  Where are the freshman and sophomores who basically have seen much more winning than losing???!!!  C'mon students show some school spirit and attend the remaining home game v Richmond.  These players are all good kids (I have spoken to several of them, as have others) and they deserve your support.  I know its a drive out to Bobby Mo, but only 5 students on a Saturday night!  Good grief!!!  My compadre The Professor said DU is letting too many geeks into school that have no interest in sports.  I think it is some kind of long term malaise that needs to be reversed.  I bought the kids a beer, they were legal, and hell I would buy a keg if we could get more to attend.  This is a shout out to Dr. G. and the athletic department to send flyers, go door to door, offer prizes (Penguin tickets would probably get 100 kids to show up) or whatever it takes to get this going.  I hope next year at the Coop will be the turning point, but this team and this Coach need more than us old time alums (and we get pretty fired up) to support this program.  Next year I think some of us posters need to caucus to see how we can do our part to drum up student attendance.  Again, free beer usually works well - LOL - as do free tickets to some event (concert for instance) that students want to go to.  STUDENTS PLEASE COME AND SUPPORT YOUR TEAM!!!  Unfortunately I am away for the Richmond game, much to my dismay, but let's step it up DU student body.  If I was going to be there on Friday I would offer to pay for several Ubers and buy several rounds at Primanti's after the game for every student that attends - believe me I would do it.  LET'S GO DUQUESNE!!!     

3/02/2020 1:07 pm  #2

Re: Crowd/Students

Pete - I agree with you...but let’s keep in mind the following:
1.  WE all suffered decades of losing so that table was set 
2.  When RE was here, the Palumbo was well attended when he began to win
3.  This might have been the year when the students would have came, but again, not having a home court has a huge impact
4.  If you read what even the sports writers have written, in this 3rd year, they are starting to believe.  So for the students not to yet, it is understandable
5.  During the “big games” over the last few years, when there were big crowds, Duquesne usually lost

Not excuses - just facts - hey, I wish they would come also.  I truly believe this will change next year when Coach continues his winning coaching and we have one place to play.  But again, I don’t disagree with one thing you have said.

3/02/2020 1:11 pm  #3

If the students need an uber to cross the street, thats a bigger issue altogether!  :-)

Get LeBron to show up, or a Steeler like Juju or Minkah, esp next year in the new arena, or dare I say a Penguin player crosses the street after a practice to check out a game(no one would recognize them tho).   Oh, and win that game.   Seems like anytime DU goes all in on trying to get a turnout, its there, but the team loses.   Better video and sound will help too.   Give away a new iphone....that might get them there.

Also, need a catchy nickname for the student section, Duke's Den or something that a student would want to be part of, like that stupid zoo in oakland.

Get a throne, like this, and have some contest to get the best or loudest student to sit in there for a game(free snacks for the game included).   It would be embarassing when that chair is empty tho.   So scratch that idea.

Last edited by townsonkid (3/02/2020 3:01 pm)

3/02/2020 1:50 pm  #4

NCAA bid! That will get some student attention. As a non Dukes fan friend said to me, "20 wins in the A10, that's nice. Call me when they make the NCAAs".

3/02/2020 2:44 pm  #5

There were 600 students at the Fordham game. There was some absurd number like 12 or 1300 at the Dayton game.

Its spring break. There havent been students for a game over a break in years. Dead horse.

If you are so compelled to put in a lot of money to the cause, donate the money and earmark it to the red and blue crew or something. They'll figure something out I'm sure

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/02/2020 2:50 pm  #6

yak-rbc wrote:

There were 600 students at the Fordham game. There was some absurd number like 12 or 1300 at the Dayton game.

Its spring break. There havent been students for a game over a break in years. Dead horse.

If you are so compelled to put in a lot of money to the cause, donate the money and earmark it to the red and blue crew or something. They'll figure something out I'm sure

PPG is basically on campus, and I think the students enjoy going over there. Good to see they came out for Fordham. That's a good sign. Some posters make it seem like going to PPG instead of Palumbo is like crossing an extra 40 miles of desert in July. PPG is on campus, if we start dancing, the students will flock there for games.

3/02/2020 3:16 pm  #7

The Lords of Uptown.

3/02/2020 3:40 pm  #8

The AD has done a great job. He can’t do it all. I would suspect someone on his staff is responsible for student support. Obviously, it is not working. Fire him or her & get someone to do there job. No excuses. Do your job. It is pathetic. 

3/02/2020 4:26 pm  #9

With a new arena on campus, plus a winning program, along with some incentives for students to show up, this team should enjoy a respectable crowd next year.  Ron got people there on less support from the University than today's team, but it comes down to winning consistently.  The Ferry years thru us back to the lows of the Danny Nee years. I expect this returning team along with a new arena and some smart incentives for regular attending students to bring us up to what should be a respectable crowd going forward. This was a tough year to get through and this team and coaches have my appreciation, and all from of us, for getting to 20 plus wins. Now, let's beat VCU and Richmond and go deep in the tourney and really have some momentum for next year. "If you build it, they will come."

3/02/2020 5:06 pm  #10

Uptown Funkers?

3/02/2020 5:28 pm  #11

SteelCityVoice wrote:

Uptown Funkers?

Too close to another "F" word for a Catholic University or is that the idea?

3/02/2020 6:57 pm  #12

Ironduke81 wrote:

The AD has done a great job. He can’t do it all. I would suspect someone on his staff is responsible for student support. Obviously, it is not working. Fire him or her & get someone to do there job. No excuses. Do your job. It is pathetic. 

Time to get rid of all the AMODIO HOLD OVERS all the way down to the game clock operator who every game seems to screw up the clock.

The thing I don't understand is how this team gets no student athlete support from the other university teams.  This should be the responsibility of somebody in the AD's office to get the coaches to drum up support of these athletes for each others teams.

3/02/2020 7:28 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Time to get rid of all the AMODIO HOLD OVERS all the way down to the game clock operator who every game seems to screw up the clock.

The thing I don't understand is how this team gets no student athlete support from the other university teams.  This should be the responsibility of somebody in the AD's office to get the coaches to drum up support of these athletes for each others teams.

I know basketball is the primary sport at DU, but isn't it fair to ask if the basketball players support other University athletes when they have the time and opportunity?

3/02/2020 8:40 pm  #14

It seems to me that Dukes football is attracting much more student attendance than Dukes basketball. Is my perception true?  If so, I wonder why?

BTW, I have seen men’s basketball players attending football games and women’s basketball games.

3/02/2020 9:38 pm  #15

townsonkid wrote:

The Lords of Uptown.

Was thinking of the throne idea you mentioned. I'm thinking of 2 thrones and linking it with the Game Of Thrones which all the kids were probably into. Maybe have them dressed up like the characters and advertise it with something like come to the Game With Thrones. Sometimes corny works.

3/02/2020 9:48 pm  #16

As said earlier, it's spring break for students and it is all week so don't expect a lot of kids on Friday either. I personally don't like the fact that the last game of the regular season falls on spring break. Senior night (Baylee night) should be as special as can be. It would be pretty tough for that to be the case with every school though I guess, scheduling spring break around a basketball season that ends the same time every year might be laughable. Also, if the university doesn't provide transportation to the games at La Roche and BobMo how are the students even going to come?? On campus parking costs $1200 and I'd say most college students do not have a car. To PhoenixRising, I don't believe there are nearly as many students that go to football games, but you're probably right about that for the games at La Roche and RMU. Next year is going to be different. And it's going to be a blast.

3/02/2020 11:27 pm  #17

CLK wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

What you said about other teams is untrue, there were two games last year, and one game this year (Dayton) where every single other athletic team sat for the game. I see women ballplayers at every single mens game as well. No complaints about Harper from me at all yet!! 

3/03/2020 7:25 am  #18

CLK wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

Aren't there people who date to the BC era, and even before?

3/03/2020 7:58 am  #19

1. Keep winning and get to the tournament

2. Let the students, once they start coming, name their group not a bunch of old folks (assuming they don't like red and blue crew)

3. When you are talking give aways - have the cheerleaders throw t shirts, balls, etc. to students in attendance or the kids in the stands - the old folks don't need them.  Catch a shirt?  Find a kid in the stands to give it to.  You can buy one somewhere - bet you have enough saved somewhere to afford it.

4. If students aren't there, we still are.  Old folks get out of your seats at games and cheer - when we start cheering it's loud.  But we don't all do it (maybe the loudest need to sit together to get others standing and cheering).  Do it all the time.  Maybe we need an adult version of the Crew (bring back the Sheiks)?  We are at a game with a winning team not a  funeral.  Remember what it was like when Mossie stood up across the arena and shouted "are you ready"?  Well, are you? He's still there somewhere watching. It's time.  For us too.

3/03/2020 9:04 am  #20

For the first time in my tenure as a Dukes fan, I have no concerns in this area. The positive momentum from this season, the strong returning team, & the opening of the Coop will absolutely provide a 6-10 game audition for the Dukes to hold & grow a real crowd; including students. It would now be shocking to me if the team doesn't come screaming out of the non-con with a sexy W-L record & a noticeably larger flock of fans.

I have been thinking about next season's schedule lately & I have come to the conclusion that:

1. I want the non-con schedule to be only 15% more challenging than this season's. Upgrading the overall SOS is very important for 2021 postseason considerations but, treating that new segment of the fan base to a "new" arena & a 13+ home wins in their first season is also imperative for sustained, long-term growth.

2. I want as few games as possible to be played at PPG. Filling The Coop a bunch of times for a bunch of victories is exactly what the fans, team, & program need to take a large step forward. For at least one season, I feel like getting a sellout & win at Palumbo, against a top 3 A-10 team, in front of 4,200 is far more impactful for building a loyal following than doing the same in front of 6-7,000 at PPG. I fantasize about getting to February 2021 without having lost in The Coop & how difficult that would make it for conference opponents down the stretch. 

Last edited by phil95 (3/03/2020 9:09 am)

Board footera