Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2021 7:06 pm  #1

Dukes To Play TCU

Big news for the Football Program.  Scheduled to play September 4, 2021.   

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/02/08/report-duquesne-football-to-play-tcu-this-coming-2021-season/

2/09/2021 9:15 am  #2

Re: Dukes To Play TCU

Thanks for the update CLK Extremely tough OOC in the fall but bringing in a lot of revenue for the athletic budget and I am hoping that we eventually provide football with the full complement of scholies permissible under FCS rules if we continue to play these teams and I am in favor generally.

2/10/2021 10:17 am  #3

Judge, I know that there is a concern regarding the overall physical beating that FCS teams take when stepping up to play FBS teams. As a generalization, the most notable difference is in the size and strength of the offensive/defensive lines which can wear a team down over 70 plays in a game.

I'm curious on your thoughts in doing this back to back vs. TCU and Ohio.  Are the Dukes going to be so banged up that it is going to negatively impact their ability to compete for the NEC Championship?

2/10/2021 11:15 am  #4

Thanks Phoenix and great questions and I would agree with you on those concerns. I think you are on point in that a lot of times our receivers and backs and dbs can hold their own in space but line play tends to be where you see a significant difference and you saw in second half of the Hawaii game. While injuries can and do occur almost anywhere and not sure exactly if a significantly greater risk is presented although maybe when playing an FBS team I think I would prefer 1 of these games per year instead of 2 at least until we have the full complement of FCS schollies. I recognize that this is a tremendous revenue generator for the athletic budget overall too however but let's make sure we have the greatest possible competitive advantage

2/10/2021 11:16 am  #5

Thanks Phoenix and great questions and I would agree with you on those concerns. I think you are on point in that a lot of times our receivers and backs and dbs can hold their own in space but line play tends to be where you see a significant difference and you saw in second half of the Hawaii game. While injuries can and do occur almost anywhere with football generally and  it makes sense that maybe a  significantly greater risk is presented  when playing an FBS team,  I think I would prefer 1 of these games per year instead of 2 at least until we have the full complement of FCS schollies. I recognize that this is a tremendous revenue generator for the athletic budget overall too however but let's make sure we have the greatest possible competitive advantage

Last edited by Judge Jack McVay Jr (2/10/2021 11:28 am)

2/10/2021 2:52 pm  #6

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Thanks for the update CLK Extremely tough OOC in the fall but bringing in a lot of revenue for the athletic budget and I am hoping that we eventually provide football with the full complement of scholies permissible under FCS rules if we continue to play these teams and I am in favor generally.

I agree with playing these teams BUT to use the cash to go full scholarship to be fair to the players. 

ALSO- Put some seats in so that we aren’t the smallest in the nation! 

GREAT NEWS!!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/11/2021 8:50 am  #7

I am a big supporter of playing FBS teams. It gives us more exposure than we'd normally ever get. It brings in a ton of money for the athletics department (I have to think some of our facility upgrades are as a result of the ones we've already played). It gives us a chance at a big upset.

I would agree that we should keep them to one a year though. Our focus should be on being the best NEC team we can be, trying to win the conference, and make a run in the playoffs. Playing too hard a non-conference schedule gets in the way of that.

I also think we should target the lower rungs of FBS. Playing TCU likely brings in more money, and the game is certainly higher visibility; but it puts us in a position of being sacrificial lambs. Buffalo, Hawaii, UMass, Coastal Carolina, Ohio, etc. we have a real chance of beating. We need to bring our A game and also hope they don't. If that happens we have a legitimate shot though. If we bring our A+ game and TCU shows up with their C- game they still probably beat us. If they show up prepared for us, they can practically name their score. I would make an exception to that rule for the occasional game with local teams like West Virginia, Penn State, or Pitt. Traveling halfway across the country to get blown out has to have a negative effect on morale though.

2/11/2021 12:25 pm  #8

I don't like the idea of the Dukes being used as a sacrificial lamb for the likes of TCU.  I know the game will bring in revenue; but at what cost from a physical and morale standpoint?  As mentioned in previous posts , the line matchups will be very lopsided in favor of TCU, but in my mind the real risk of major injuries will come in "space" where the speed and physical force of the hits will be much more impactful.  Wide receivers getting "blown up" by bigger more physical DB's with a head of steam is more likely to lead to injury than the hand-to-hand combat in the trenches; Our Linebackers and DB's getting wiped out by bigger, stronger faster linemen on a sweep for example, would lead to more "high impact" collisions.  I wouldn't even run a kickoff back, just call for the fair catch and take the ball on the 25!
Looking at the big picture; I'm just wondering how this fits into a strategic plan for the football program. There can't be a plan to grow the program into a more competitive level of competition; because they are always going to limited by the lack of a stadium.  Unless they have a plan to build a football stadium, (and I doubt that will happen), I don't see the program getting any more significant that it is today.  So I don't see the attraction and I'm not in favor of sacrificing the team physically to make a profit in a couple of games.  

2/12/2021 11:18 am  #9

All good points Levon and I get your point about collision in space compared to line collision and I always felt that when I played center I was playing one of the safest positions on the field and I had played virtually all of them between high school and college. I guess your movement in space is limited relative to DB WR LB and RB and different injury risks are created by positions.  The program is moving forward though and does serve as a revenue generator for Duquesne and as luckymcd points out and hopefully we will need more a 2000 capacity stadium and have to use Highmark or another venue

Board footera