Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2021 8:39 pm  #1

Big game at Lasalle- Can we win-Prediction?

Bluffites travel to Philly-I think Hughes and Weathers are the dynamic duo,but you never know going on road
and I worry about our free throw shooting and inability to hit the 3 pointers.Need to win the next 2.I dont know
much about Lasalle,saw them destroy Fordham at home.Can we win?

2/21/2021 10:52 pm  #2

Re: Big game at Lasalle- Can we win-Prediction?

Defense and rebounding travel. If we take care of business in those 2 departments, we will win this game. No home crowd to contend with either!  As always, we need solid performances from our 2 senior stalwarts. If TDM regains his shooting form, not saying he will, that would make us very tough to beat moving forward.

2/21/2021 11:43 pm  #3

BTW- If Maceo is going to get minutes, it would be helpful if he takes a shot or two! He helps the team defensively no doubt but......

2/22/2021 8:08 am  #4

Its time to make a run to be A10 champions.Hughes playing like a man possessed,Dukes playing like a
team from western pa,physical,tough minded and eager to defend with good senior leadership.Hopefully
Maceo gets comfortable and provides some points.Its time to dominate Lasalle.Nobody talks like we 
belong but all I know is Richmond was lucky to escape.

2/22/2021 10:39 am  #5

This is definitely a game we should win. We are definitely the better team. If we play the way we were before the pause or even like we did against Richmond we will. They inexplicably have dominated the series though.

Richmond, Davidson, VCU, Dayton, Bonaventure dominate our series, but they have good teams. LaSalle has been pretty similar to us over the last 30 years. They've made one tournament since 92. Since joining the A-10 in 95 they are 95 games below .500 in the conference. They've only been above .500 in 4 of those 26 conference seasons (the same number as us). Yet they've won 8 of the last 11 against us. They have won the last 5 games in Philly by a combined 65 points. Going back further they've won 31 of the last 47. We've only beaten them in Philly 5 times in the last 40 years.

The game will probably be decided on the perimeter. They shoot the three well, but we defend the deep ball very well. Despite our best two scorers being inside guys we continue to fall in love with the three ball. So we will need to knock some down to win. They have a lot of length, but still don't defend very well. So I think we'll be able to make those shots.

When we do miss look for us to crash the boards hard, which could make the difference in a close game. They allow a lot of offensive rebounds, and we've been pretty good at that. Taking care of the ball will be key too. We've done a surprisingly good job of that since Carry left. So I think we'll be alright, they do force a lot of turnovers though. Foul trouble has been a big X factor for us, but luckily LaSalle doesn't get to the line very often. 

We have the better players and I think this is a good matchup for us. If we just look at our last six games and their last four it shouldn't even be close (86-66 Dukes based just on those ten games). Recent history says it will be a close game though and their lack of a go to guy will be the difference. Dukes 71 Explorers 68.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/22/2021 10:41 am)

2/22/2021 4:15 pm  #6

So I am going to fall back on something we can count on - if we are good enough we will win - if we aren't good enough, we don''t deserve to win.  No blame on officials, time off, etc.  It is up to each individual player and the coaches.  Go Dukes!

2/23/2021 8:15 am  #7

FAM wrote:

So I am going to fall back on something we can count on - if we are good enough we will win - if we aren't good enough, we don''t deserve to win.  No blame on officials, time off, etc.  It is up to each individual player and the coaches.  Go Dukes!

FAM- Can't argue with your logic one bit! Really can't add a thing except GO DUKES!
Do expect it to be close.

2/23/2021 12:58 pm  #8

Yeah, definitely a game we SHOULD win, but LaSalle has given us fits in recent years. We haven't beaten them outside of Pittsburgh since 2011 (they were win No. 7 in the famous 11-game winning streak that season). Since then, five straight losses at Gola Arena and another in the A10 tourney. In the Dambrot Era, the games have been nailbiters. Two-point win for the Dukes last year in Pittsburgh, 1-point win for LaSalle in Philly the year before, triple-OT thriller for the Dukes at Palumbo the year before that. Would be great to run them off the court and clear the bench, but unless we can hit our 3s, that's not going to happen. I expect a close one too.

2/23/2021 5:39 pm  #9

Dukes by 10 and I think they are ready to surprise some teams! I agree with Duq81 and others on TDM being the key on offense.Keep  the great dimes and I am OK if he keeps shooting too but make sure that it is a good shot. Bigs keep crashing and play with intensity both ends.I do think we're better than LaSalle and will beat Richmond if we get them again

2/24/2021 4:18 am  #10

You beat me to it, Judge. The second half of the Richmond game was not an aberration --Dukes by 10.

Board footera