Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2021 1:24 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - Richmond Spiders (A10 Tournament)

Wow what a game but that was a hard fought win and even better was seeing a guy in Golden who has torched us beyond himself on the bench. How many flops were taken by Richmond must be taught to fall down every three they take those were some bad calls and poetic justice that he missed all three at the end. But great coaching job KD let’s keep feeding our bigs they’re great when they get confidence. Thought we were done when we were down 14 but great work. Next up bonnies

3/04/2021 1:30 pm  #77

Last time we played them, they got a couple loose balls and won, today, we got a loose ball Hughes put it back up for 2 and a foul, the ref saved got us 2 pts and Golden, the greatest big man to ever play basketball, threw one out of bounds.   The little things add up.   

Big Ben signed a new contract, but there are no details yet.

3/04/2021 1:34 pm  #78

townsonkid wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Great awareness from Baker that kid is a star. TDM makes the game winning play after a ton of mistakes, gotta love that kid. These refs f ing suck. They just tried to call Golden throwing it out of bounds for Richmond.

Announcers about as bad as the refs.

Tom McCormick was making excuses for RU and drolling over Golden for the last 5 minutes of the game.   Collinsworth is a good announcer.   He does his research, knew Acuff was final 5 for MI POY.   
Dont care today tho, Great Ghosts Alive!!!!

Lol I agree collinsworth isn’t bad but the other guy was a moron. He called the game over for Richmond about 7 times throughout the game and then as soon as we take the lead he’s going “it’s going to be tough to come back on Duquesne” when we are up 2 with 3/4 minutes left. Also said Dambrots dad was dead, the arena wasn’t finished, and TDM was our best guard. My personal favorite though was when he made the comment that we couldn’t get within 5, then 30 seconds later we make a basket and it’s a 4 point game. Two minutes later it’s back to six and he says “this is what I’m talking about, still haven’t cracked 5”.

Early in the game too it was 19-10 and collinsworth asked what he thought of our offense. As he’s saying “so far I’m not impressed” baker hits a 3 and he goes “but know I’m thinking it is trending up” what an idiot lol.
Face palm.

Anyway, gutty performance all around with the odds seemingly stacked against us. Amari kelly provided some huge minutes in the second and Acuff was great too. I saw #21 on Richmond trying to get in his face and I think it had the opposite effect he was hoping for. The two guys down low won us the game offensively and defensively but big contributions all around.

There are a lot of legitimate criticisms of TDM but you can’t argue the kid has balls of steel and the step back 3 and tear drop layup off the TOP of the glass were beautiful clutch plays that had a huge part of us winning the game. The kid is a firecracker!

Already getting texts from my Bonnies alum buddy talking sh*t via text about tomorrow’s game. I truly believe we can beat anyone this year, 1/4. Go Dukes!!!

3/04/2021 1:35 pm  #79

Did You See Golden?blubbering Whimp Whining And Having A Temper Tantrum On The Bench.heeeee Ssssuuuucccckkkksss

3/04/2021 1:37 pm  #80

F--k. ST BONA.DUQUESNE ROCKS .

3/04/2021 1:37 pm  #81

3/04/2021 1:38 pm  #82

SkepticAl wrote:

POETIC JUSTICE!!!  Am pretty sure the "Zebra" who saved the ball from going out of bounds and sent Baker on his breakaway is one that frequently "TEED UP" the DU players frequently throughout the season --  Baker might have been hacked a little on the play -  But who cares Now???

St. Bonnie will be tough but still gratifying the team came back from the large deficit (Again!!!!)

True Karma

3/04/2021 1:40 pm  #83

WashPaRick wrote:

Baker had a big game and I barely noticed it.

I thought he showed some smarts and poise playing with 3 fouls early and still being really productive.

3/04/2021 1:58 pm  #84

Dsnyder15 wrote:

67 - 62

All you need to know. Really.

Exactly.  It was lock down defense in the last 9 minutes by the Dukes.  Now let's beat the Bonnies.  Go Dukes!

3/04/2021 2:03 pm  #85

3/04/2021 2:05 pm  #86

CLK wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

67 - 62

All you need to know. Really.

Exactly.  It was lock down defense in the last 9 minutes by the Dukes.  Now let's beat the Bonnies.  Go Dukes!

When they turned up the defensive heat in the last 25+ minutes of this game, it warmed my soul.  With that kind of effort and results, the Dukes can beat anyone in this conference.  Let's do it again tomorrow!

3/04/2021 2:14 pm  #87

I am very happy for TDM. He was quite shaky today but made plays when it counted in addition to taking well-chosen 3PT shots. 

Baker has the "it factor".

It was great to see the defense lock in today. The same will be needed tomorrow. The third time is the charm!

I don't usually have any trouble rooting hard for the Dukes over my hometown Bonnies. Tomorrow is a bit different than normal because I fear SBU will get screwed out of their well-deserved at-large bid if they don't win at least 1 A-10 tourney game. 

Even so, GO DUKES!

3/04/2021 2:24 pm  #88

You nailed it Phoenix defensive intensity and I think they can beat anyone in the tournament!

3/04/2021 2:31 pm  #89

One of the Spider fans on their Rivals.com board called Duquesne a bottom feeder.  I know it wasn't a good season, especially with high expectations for the Dukes.  But this guy has to be delusional for calling them a bottom feeder based on this program's showing in the league over the last 4 years.

3/04/2021 2:52 pm  #90

WashPaRick wrote:

Stupid.

Definition of Jagoff: a stupid,irritating, or contemptible person. WashpaRick just he he is a Jagoff.

3/04/2021 2:59 pm  #91

Halarious...Fire Money campaign starting again.  If I am this guy I take either the Boston College or Penn State job. These Richmond fans are delusional. Top 2 players out with injuries. And I thought our board was delusional at times including myself. Wow

3/04/2021 3:02 pm  #92

Tough to beat a "good team" three times in a row. Like their chances tomorrow. Go Dukes!

3/04/2021 3:03 pm  #93

WashPaRick wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Stupid.

But it worked.

Hey WashpaRick I put the definition of Jagoff for the purpose of a Pittsburgh flare. Please don’t take that I meant this towards you. The referee a Jagoff.

3/04/2021 3:38 pm  #94

WashPaRick wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Stupid.

But it worked.

Hey WashpaRick I put the definition of Jagoff for the purpose of a Pittsburgh flare. Please don’t take that I meant this towards you. The referee a Jagoff.

3/04/2021 3:43 pm  #95

Ironduke81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Stupid.

But it worked.

I've been called a lot worse and that's just by my wife.

3/04/2021 3:49 pm  #96

I didn't check the board until the game was over. Fun to watch the reactions as the game developed. Not that I blame anyone, it sure felt like yet another disappointing A10 tourney performance for more than 3/4 of the game. Huge plays at both ends of the court by Baker and Acuff to turn things around in those last 6 minutes and change. The seniors did their thing and made their share of good plays too, but the freshmen really lit the spark that turned the game in the Dukes' favor.

We really need to make FTs at some point. 50% FT shooting that puts you in an 11-point deficit from the line isn't easy to overcome. I'm surprised no reactions on the board to that 4-5 minute stretch in the first half when Keith had Bekelja and Austin on the floor at the same time. Not sure what the thinking was there, it pretty much was like playing 3 on 5 on offense. Fortunately the experiment didn't last long as the game was starting to get away from us. 

Work cut out for us tomorrow against a well-rested, motivated Bonaventure team that will have no trouble playing us tough and physical. No offense to Phil, but I'd love to send them to the NIT. 

3/04/2021 4:14 pm  #97

As frustrating as the first half was and again in the early second half, I'm glad that it was a come from behind win rather than holding on after leading most of the way.  I think the team will be in a very confident mindset tomorrow.

I agree with Rayrich.  It's going to be tough for SBU to beat us 3 times this season.  Add in the fact that we are not nearly as bad a free throw shooting team as we were today and that has me thinking a high % from the line game is in store for us tomorrow.  I'm really liking our chances.  I think we'll win.

I also think Bona has earned an at large bid win or lose tomorrow.  Their fans can use the time between tomorrow's loss and Selection Sunday to whine and moan and fret and worry.  It will do them good.

The refs truly were jagoffs today. 

3/04/2021 4:23 pm  #98

townsonkid wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Great awareness from Baker that kid is a star. TDM makes the game winning play after a ton of mistakes, gotta love that kid. These refs f ing suck. They just tried to call Golden throwing it out of bounds for Richmond.

Announcers about as bad as the refs.

Tom McCormick was making excuses for RU and drolling over Golden for the last 5 minutes of the game.   Collinsworth is a good announcer.   He does his research, knew Acuff was final 5 for MI POY.   
Dont care today tho, Great Ghosts Alive!!!!

Collingsworth early in the second half, "Duquesne is not built for a comeback"

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/1367545422303006720

3/04/2021 4:47 pm  #99

DennisC91 wrote:

I didn't check the board until the game was over. Fun to watch the reactions as the game developed. Not that I blame anyone, it sure felt like yet another disappointing A10 tourney performance for more than 3/4 of the game. Huge plays at both ends of the court by Baker and Acuff to turn things around in those last 6 minutes and change. The seniors did their thing and made their share of good plays too, but the freshmen really lit the spark that turned the game in the Dukes' favor.

We really need to make FTs at some point. 50% FT shooting that puts you in an 11-point deficit from the line isn't easy to overcome. I'm surprised no reactions on the board to that 4-5 minute stretch in the first half when Keith had Bekelja and Austin on the floor at the same time. Not sure what the thinking was there, it pretty much was like playing 3 on 5 on offense. Fortunately the experiment didn't last long as the game was starting to get away from us. 

Work cut out for us tomorrow against a well-rested, motivated Bonaventure team that will have no trouble playing us tough and physical. No offense to Phil, but I'd love to send them to the NIT. 

None taken!

Ideally, the selection committee does the right thing & puts the Bonnies in after losing tomorrow, the Dukes beat VCU in the tournament final & the league gets 3 teams in the dance.

3/04/2021 4:57 pm  #100

Good one, Bluff Hunter. That's our second straight comeback from a second-half double-digit deficit in that building. In fact, I believe this was one year to the day since the road win over VCU last year, no?

@VBC, gotta disagree, I think the Bonnies are in trouble if they lose to us tomorrow. Especially if VCU and St. Louis both win. The lack of a non-conference schedule puts everything on conference play for them. Closing out with a home loss to Dayton and neutral-court loss to the Dukes is really going to put their NCAA tourney hopes on the ropes. 

Board footera