Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



4/22/2021 10:37 am  #51


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

I am feeling better about this forum.  Well written and thought out Mulder.

 

4/22/2021 10:41 am  #52


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Wow...can you say Eric Williams???  I understand that the coach probably had something to do with this...but this is a HUGE loss, no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Styles:  I agree with you 100%...on everything you said about Dambrot and it seems like he has trouble working with really talented people (referring to your second post).  Yes, LeBron James was a long time ago and it doesn't appear that KD has adjusted.  I understand Carrie may have caused some issues and Baker is sooo immature...but we should have never lost WIlliams.  If he doesn't get some really good players we will be better because of his coaching and that is nice....but still NO NIT or NCAA appearances but the players he is getting...or should I say able to keep, aren't at the top level so far.  Folks can argue...but the facts speak for themselves as far as no tournaments.   Dambrot has brought us to the next level...maybe the AD needs to start looking at the next coach who will get us to a post-season tournament/or winning the A-10.  We now have that support from the administration, support from the President, very good AD, and a new facility.  Now what???  Go ahead, throw things at me...Go Dukes!

 

Last edited by FAM (4/22/2021 10:51 am)

 

4/22/2021 10:53 am  #53


 

4/22/2021 11:15 am  #54


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

FAM wrote:

Wow...can you say Eric Williams???  I understand that the coach probably had something to do with this...but this is a HUGE loss, no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Styles:  I agree with you 100%...on everything you said about Dambrot and it seems like he has trouble working with really talented people (referring to your second post).  Yes, LeBron James was a long time ago and it doesn't appear that KD has adjusted.  I understand Carrie may have caused some issues and Baker is sooo immature...but we should have never lost WIlliams.  If he doesn't get some really good players we will be better because of his coaching and that is nice....but still NO NIT or NCAA appearances but the players he is getting...or should I say able to keep, aren't at the top level so far.  Folks can argue...but the facts speak for themselves as far as no tournaments.   Dambrot has brought us to the next level...maybe the AD needs to start looking at the next coach who will get us to a post-season tournament/or winning the A-10.  We now have that support from the administration, support from the President, very good AD, and a new facility.  Now what???  Go ahead, throw things at me...Go Dukes!

 

Thanks FAM.  

I must say though I am still a KD guy.  The differences between him and Ferry's in-game management are striking.  KD has won many games for this team in the last 4 minutes that Ferry would time and time again lose.  I think the onus is on KD now to tweak his team management style as the "my way or the highway" philosophy doesn't work with today's athletes - especially with the ever-present portal option.  I believe he can too.  Otherwise, I love what KD has brought to the bluff.  he just needs that special player to come along, stay, and push us over the hump.  Sin was possibly that player.  Eric Williams certainly could have been (imagine him on last year's team WITH Sin - Dukes are a top 3 A-10 team!) and Baker sure looked like he could have been.

 

4/22/2021 11:18 am  #55


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Styles1229 wrote:

FAM wrote:

Wow...can you say Eric Williams???  I understand that the coach probably had something to do with this...but this is a HUGE loss, no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Styles:  I agree with you 100%...on everything you said about Dambrot and it seems like he has trouble working with really talented people (referring to your second post).  Yes, LeBron James was a long time ago and it doesn't appear that KD has adjusted.  I understand Carrie may have caused some issues and Baker is sooo immature...but we should have never lost WIlliams.  If he doesn't get some really good players we will be better because of his coaching and that is nice....but still NO NIT or NCAA appearances but the players he is getting...or should I say able to keep, aren't at the top level so far.  Folks can argue...but the facts speak for themselves as far as no tournaments.   Dambrot has brought us to the next level...maybe the AD needs to start looking at the next coach who will get us to a post-season tournament/or winning the A-10.  We now have that support from the administration, support from the President, very good AD, and a new facility.  Now what???  Go ahead, throw things at me...Go Dukes!

 

Thanks FAM.  

I must say though I am still a KD guy.  The differences between him and Ferry's in-game management are striking.  KD has won many games for this team in the last 4 minutes that Ferry would time and time again lose.  I think the onus is on KD now to tweak his team management style as the "my way or the highway" philosophy doesn't work with today's athletes - especially with the ever-present portal option.  I believe he can too.  Otherwise, I love what KD has brought to the bluff.  he just needs that special player to come along, stay, and push us over the hump.  Sin was possibly that player.  Eric Williams certainly could have been (imagine him on last year's team WITH Sin - Dukes are a top 3 A-10 team!) and Baker sure looked like he could have been.

Sincere Carry
TDM
Eric Williams
Marcus Weathers
Michael Hughes

with bench scoring from:

Chad Baker
Andre Harris

?

That team might win the A-10 last season
 

 

4/22/2021 11:30 am  #56


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Hey...I'm still a KD guy too...but facts in terms of no tournament - kids leaving - are there.  As I said, many times, he has brought this program up from the previous coach...and now he has what he wants...and the transfer portal applies to ALL teams, not just DU.  Go Dukes!

 

4/22/2021 11:58 am  #57


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

FAM wrote:

Wow...can you say Eric Williams???  I understand that the coach probably had something to do with this...but this is a HUGE loss, no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Styles:  I agree with you 100%...on everything you said about Dambrot and it seems like he has trouble working with really talented people (referring to your second post).  Yes, LeBron James was a long time ago and it doesn't appear that KD has adjusted.  I understand Carrie may have caused some issues and Baker is sooo immature...but we should have never lost WIlliams.  If he doesn't get some really good players we will be better because of his coaching and that is nice....but still NO NIT or NCAA appearances but the players he is getting...or should I say able to keep, aren't at the top level so far.  Folks can argue...but the facts speak for themselves as far as no tournaments.   Dambrot has brought us to the next level...maybe the AD needs to start looking at the next coach who will get us to a post-season tournament/or winning the A-10.  We now have that support from the administration, support from the President, very good AD, and a new facility.  Now what???  Go ahead, throw things at me...Go Dukes!

 

The university president & AD, like any effective leaders, are in a perpetual state of evaluating & projecting the performances of their people. This includes the head basketball coach. I am confident that no poster is bringing to light issues, real or imagined,that this administration hasn't considered.

Because of the program KD inherited,the obviously improved results, & the havoc created by COVID & its effects over the last 2 seasons; I think he deserves the coming season & the one after to demonstrate that significant progress continues to be made before any serious succession scenarios should be contemplated. I assume this means that his agreement would be extended by at least 2 years. So be it. That is how successful programs go about such things.

I write this after having previously gone on the record as being only a minor fan of KD's coaching style & public persona. As an academic exercise or just for fun, I am more than willing to debate KD's record & worth as a coach.  Setting my preferences aside, objectively, the results indicate the guy has done well with a crap situation. He has my support.

 

4/22/2021 12:20 pm  #58


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Mulder wrote:

I don't know how many of you have been around since Duquesne lost to UNC in NCAA 1969 or last made the NCAA tourney in 1977 (or if any of you are still paying attention to this now long thread).  I am one who saw the loss to UNC and all that happened since. 

Keith Dambrot is the best coach we have had here since Red Manning (maybe except for Mike Rice though he certainly wasn't perfect).  He is in the best position to get Duquesne back.  He has the support of a solid AD in Harper and a top President in Gormley.  The difference now is the transfer portal and the transfer mess created in part by the pandemic. 

Might there be a time when I would agree that the problem is Keith Dambrot?  Sure - no one is perfect.  But that would take many more years after what should be a contract extension assuming he accepts.  Why?  Because I have lived long enough to see the freaking mess that Duquesne basketball has been over the years with coach after coach and AD after AD and President after President all failing in ways large and small.  And the situation now is even more complicated.  This is the best Duquesne has looked both academically and athletically in many many years. 

If Baker was creating problems (like some that we saw with the T's) then he should go.  If it was KD's choice then I applaud him for taking control, for being in charge, for not accepting someone challenging his system.

Again, Keith Dambrot's contract should be extended.  And you can end this thread now.

I agree Mulder 100%.  Look at what KD has accomplished under very adverse circumstances.  He inherited a team that only won three games. In his first year he has a break even season, followed by a 19 win season, and then a 21 win season.  Some may disagree, but I still believe that last year has to be counted as a mulligan year for KD.  KD had no home court, no summer work outs, horrible practice facilities, shut down by covid three times, and the loss of three players during the season and still managed to not have a losing season.

I am excited about what KD has done so far this recruiting season.  I had heard from some fans that were on a Zoom call with Dave Harper and KD a few weeks ago, that KD is very high on Williams and Gunn and thinks they may prove to be better players than Weathers and Hughes.  I know there are some on the Board that were on that call that may confirm that statement.

KD and staff are working hard to bring in high level players, DU is not done recruiting. I think that some may need to brace themselves as there most assuredly will be more departures.  
 

 

4/22/2021 12:27 pm  #59


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

I have no problem with giving Dambrot an extension. He definitely gets a pass for last year and for year one. Year three he showed marked improvement on the win/loss record. But let’s be honest with ourselves, that year the OC schedule was ridiculously easy with Indiana State being rated the most difficult opponent  rated 122 by Ken Prom. All I am saying is he must improve on his evaluating of talent and retention of that talent. As far as next year goes, we lost five starters, F Hughes and Sin transferred out. M Hughes and Weathers had options to chose from. Baker because he was not asked back. I do not comment on recruits because you really don’t what you are getting. But these guys hopefully can replace the holes left behind, which is a mighty task.

 

4/22/2021 1:00 pm  #60


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

CLK wrote:

Mulder wrote:

I don't know how many of you have been around since Duquesne lost to UNC in NCAA 1969 or last made the NCAA tourney in 1977 (or if any of you are still paying attention to this now long thread).  I am one who saw the loss to UNC and all that happened since. 

Keith Dambrot is the best coach we have had here since Red Manning (maybe except for Mike Rice though he certainly wasn't perfect).  He is in the best position to get Duquesne back.  He has the support of a solid AD in Harper and a top President in Gormley.  The difference now is the transfer portal and the transfer mess created in part by the pandemic. 

Might there be a time when I would agree that the problem is Keith Dambrot?  Sure - no one is perfect.  But that would take many more years after what should be a contract extension assuming he accepts.  Why?  Because I have lived long enough to see the freaking mess that Duquesne basketball has been over the years with coach after coach and AD after AD and President after President all failing in ways large and small.  And the situation now is even more complicated.  This is the best Duquesne has looked both academically and athletically in many many years. 

If Baker was creating problems (like some that we saw with the T's) then he should go.  If it was KD's choice then I applaud him for taking control, for being in charge, for not accepting someone challenging his system.

Again, Keith Dambrot's contract should be extended.  And you can end this thread now.

I agree Mulder 100%.  Look at what KD has accomplished under very adverse circumstances.  He inherited a team that only won three games. In his first year he has a break even season, followed by a 19 win season, and then a 21 win season.  Some may disagree, but I still believe that last year has to be counted as a mulligan year for KD.  KD had no home court, no summer work outs, horrible practice facilities, shut down by covid three times, and the loss of three players during the season and still managed to not have a losing season.

I am excited about what KD has done so far this recruiting season.  I had heard from some fans that were on a Zoom call with Dave Harper and KD a few weeks ago, that KD is very high on Williams and Gunn and thinks they may prove to be better players than Weathers and Hughes.  I know there are some on the Board that were on that call that may confirm that statement.

KD and staff are working hard to bring in high level players, DU is not done recruiting. I think that some may need to brace themselves as there most assuredly will be more departures.  
 

Well said and I was on that call too.  I can confirm. 

One other thing, we are looking at Duquesne because we are fans.  Look at college basketball as a whole right now.  It's a mess.  Coupled with the limits KD had to face over the past few years it has been a remarkable job that a lesser coach would have blown (see school located a few miles up Forbes and Fifth).  We still don't know how successful current moves will be but I am encouraged.

 

4/22/2021 1:11 pm  #61


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Think of all the games Dambrot has coached where the Dukes make a spectacular comeback and think 
of all the close games that the Dukes won in last minute of games. These kind of games for the last 40 years
the Dukes always lost.The Dukes play with heart and fight like hell.He is a excellent coach because Dukes 
never quit.

 

4/22/2021 1:32 pm  #62


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

.  I just flushed the 20-21 season; I'm with Econ69 - I'm looking forward to the 21-22 season!

Basically "Groundhog Day" as we are back at square 1 with a lot of young players, unproven players and question marks, and a bunch of transfers.


Habemus victus Richmond, et Bonnies et Dayton.
Nunc vincere Atlanticum 10
 

4/22/2021 2:31 pm  #63


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Basically "Groundhog Day" as certain posters are continually jumping on and off the bandwagon.

 

4/22/2021 4:07 pm  #64


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Let's look on the bright side. The way the transfer portal is going now, our turnover looks average.
Go Dukes.

 

4/22/2021 4:17 pm  #65


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Dambrot is a good coach, both game plan wise, and in game. His team's typically play hard. With the lack of home court last season and then the Covid challenges, I'd be fine with an extension, but I wouldn't call his time here so far an unqualified success. 

It's fair to question in my opinion, if he can recruit and retain A10 talent in order to be successful (which I define as going to the NCAA tournament.) I've also not been impressed by the year to year development of the players he has retained. If you can't recruit/retain A10 players, you better be able to build them, like Schmidt does at Bona. The only player at Duquesne, who I recall at least (please correct me if you have another example) who has gotten appreciably better was Marcus, and that may have been him healing from his leg injury. The rest of the players have either maintained, regressed, or left.

 

 

4/22/2021 4:52 pm  #66


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

First...I want to say how it is great that folks have raised the bar!  (no, not the one from Frank & Wallys or Sandronis).  I don't hear anyone here saying that a winning record is good enough anymore.  Not trying to speak for anyone, I think the consensus is one of the following...Win the A-10, (automatic bid to the NCAA), or qualify for the NCAA with a good enough record or qualify for the NIT.

Second, and I am seeing more glimpses of this but at times not...we need to let people have their different opinions, let them be disappointed, let them not be happy with the team or coach...and not attack them.  Yes, we can disagree and even give strong reasons, but again, this is a sports board...life is too short.  Not trying to preach to anyone...I got my own problems...but I read a lot of different boards and this one is getting even better!  Go Dukes!

 

4/22/2021 5:15 pm  #67


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

I think there is someone on this blog who is keeping track of the performances of the players that leave the program. Although i'm not exactly a proponent of looking back (cause i think we should always be looking forward) - it can definately be somewhat revealing to see how these departing players do in another environment.  Chad Baker appears to be a player with a lot of talent but an attitude maybe corrupting the team.  Will be interesting to see how he does with another team / coach, setting etc??   He is exciting to watch and i hope he does well...

Last edited by gjgsr (4/22/2021 5:16 pm)

 

4/22/2021 5:16 pm  #68


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Here's a link to another school's experience with the portal.  Interesting final comment - It's like shopping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbdBRNWKoTs

 

4/23/2021 12:41 pm  #69


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

So, I do not find this surprising at all. He has lost very talented players, underrecruited, had terrible nonconference schedules that inflate wins that people hang their hat on, and we very much underperformed this past season.  Are we ok as alums and fans paying this man millions to not make an NIT or NCAA in a potential 7 year span?  We all know that Duquesne is not making an NIT or NCAA next year.  They will honestly be lucky to finish in the top half of the league next year.  That will be five years with nothing and he will have two more years to accomplish making an NIT or NCAA.  I think something that needs to be considered is the shift in how young people are treated.  This is not the old days where a coach rules the roost and anything and everything he says goes.  Players have more rights and flexibility than they have ever had.  If a player is not content, does not matter what the reason is, that player can leave.  I really believe that Dambrot has an old school mentality that is not suitable to the current environment around young scholars and athletes.  Now, having said that, I know that some people will say, "What about Coach K or Izzo or..."  Those are coaches at huge universities and have established a brand.  When you are player at a smaller school in a smaller conference, your goal is to eventually get paid to play basketball professionally.  They will do that any way they can and, if that means transferring because you do not like your coach, that will happen.  If I were Dambrot, I would make those young adults feel like kings on campus.  It just is how it is in the current climate of college and university life among athletes.  A lot of people on this board believe that these athletes should be grateful for their education and stay.  That is not why they are at Duquesne.  That is not why they went to college.  If they had a choice to be 18 years old and get paid to play basketball, none of them would go to college to play.  That is just the reality of the situation.

Last edited by Yinzer412 (4/23/2021 12:42 pm)

 

4/23/2021 12:51 pm  #70


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Yinzer412 - You have some valid opinions.  When I first read your post I thought about Huggins at WVU who can be a maniac.  He did have a really good player leave this year, but not usually.  He does not care if his players "feel the love". but you are right...it is a long standing top 25 program and so the players deal with it.
Your post is another piece to think about.  Keep posting and welcome.

 

4/23/2021 2:34 pm  #71


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Yinzer I have been saying this for the past two years. I agree with you and I noticed you posted this under another handle but it was taken down. I also have been criticized but don’t take it personally and keep on posting.

 

4/23/2021 3:39 pm  #72


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Wildwood13 wrote:

Yinzer I have been saying this for the past two years. I agree with you and I noticed you posted this under another handle but it was taken down. I also have been criticized but don’t take it personally and keep on posting.

I did try and post this under a different handle earlier and it was subsequently removed and the handle I had was banned.  I just want to try and talk Dukes, but when somone is critical of KD, they typically get insulted and/or banned.

Last edited by Yinzer412 (4/23/2021 3:40 pm)

 

4/23/2021 3:44 pm  #73


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Yinzer412 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

Yinzer I have been saying this for the past two years. I agree with you and I noticed you posted this under another handle but it was taken down. I also have been criticized but don’t take it personally and keep on posting.

I did try and post this under a different handle earlier and it was subsequently removed and the handle I had was banned.  I just want to try and talk Dukes, but when somone is critical of KD, they typically get insulted and/or banned.

You have posted under 8 different names and have been banned for spamming this board.  Not sure how you got out again but you will be continue to be banned for previous bad behavior, not for your opinions 
 

 

4/23/2021 7:51 pm  #74


Re: Chad Baker leaving...

Please note that this forum is private forum.  If you have any question about the Administration of this Board please address them to me, or one of the moderators, using the private message feature.  Any and all non basketball related topics and comments will be deleted.   

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

uLINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • Pittsburgh Sports Now