Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2021 4:43 pm  #1

DUKES WIN DUKES WIN. DUKES WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cow Duquesne Beats Ohio.wow.

9/11/2021 4:45 pm  #2

Re: DUKES WIN DUKES WIN. DUKES WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the biggest win since football started up in 1969.Great win.Dukes just great.

9/11/2021 5:18 pm  #3

Duquesne joins the ranks of FCS over FBS Teams:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/fcs-wins-vs-fbs-teams-all-time-victories-upsets%3famp

Last edited by coffee (9/12/2021 7:38 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

9/11/2021 7:29 pm  #4

Judge you O.K.? That had to be tough on the old ticker. Bet you're enjoying this one.

Last edited by WashPaRick (9/11/2021 9:55 pm)

9/11/2021 7:55 pm  #5

What a great effort by the Dukes. They basically outplayed the other side for 3 3/4 of the ball game dominating time of possession and plays ran. You usually see don't that that in huge upsets. So, that being said this team is pretty darn good team and I think we'll see that the TCU loss wasn't so bad as we did play pretty even with them the last couple quarters. This is a loaded TCU team who expects to be in the Playoff picture and I think they will be when all said and done. What a great win and coaching job. Everybody played well. The O-Line was awesome as well as the young QB and all the playmakers. The D was as equally impressive. Hats off to the Dukes. What a great win.

Last edited by Rayrich (9/11/2021 7:56 pm)

9/11/2021 9:12 pm  #6

A great win for the Dukes. These upsets are usually by high powered spread offenses who are able to turn the game into a shootout. We didn't do that. We won not by spreading them out, but at the line of scrimmage.

We dominated time of possession not by running clock between every snap, but by executing with incredible efficiency. 67% completions passing the ball and we outrushed a running team. After an ugly start, the defense stepped up and took care of business too. We held them to 81 yards of offense over a 41 minute span and outscored them 22-0 in the process.

Most importantly the Dukes made plays when they mattered most. 7/16 on 3rd down (and another 2/2 on 4th), a huge 1/7 on third downs for the defense, and of course the 2 point stop with everything on the line. Again after an ugly start the kicking game was perfect. 4/4 on field goals, 2/2 on PATs, and 45 yards per punt with one downed at the 1 to set up a safety.

This is the Dukes first win over a team playing at the highest level since 1949 and first against a team still playing at the highest level since 1942. This wasn't a bottom feeder FBS team we beat either. They were in a one score game with Syracuse last week midway through the 3rd quarter. They've won bowl games the last three seasons bowls were played and haven't had a losing season since 2008. Hopefully the athletic department makes good use of the money from these games. Major kudos to Coach Schmitt and the entire football program for already putting this one to good use.

9/11/2021 9:36 pm  #7

The athletic department needs to be more precise.
The Dukes program was nationally ranked.  This is not the first major win in program history.   Dr. Vardy is turning over in his grave.

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

9/11/2021 9:42 pm  #8

Haha WashPaRick I just got back from Athens and it was hard on the ticker!  I appreciate all you guys  weighing in and yes this is the biggest win since football returned in 1969!!! They may have found a QB1 too as the kid from LA was poised running the scaled down offense and great points all of you guys! Coach Sil has done a great job with that O line and I love our DBs and the way they cover and come up and tackle.  Kudos Coach Richardson and all of the coaches 👏 The kids after the game to a man said they believed all along that they could win and whatever they saw today they knew
they  wouldn't be as good as TCU.

9/11/2021 9:48 pm  #9

Get to know the history. The Dukes won the 1937 Orange Bowl. How many College Football analysts/announcer would know that? The 36 team beat Rose Bowl Bound Pitt 7-0 the year before. Dukes, Carnegie, and Pitt were all powers back then. Carnegie, Geneva, or Westminster (not sure which) beat Knute Rockne's ND squad a decade before.

9/11/2021 10:06 pm  #10

Congratulations to the Dukes on a sweet win!  AD has to figure a way to get these guys a better home stadium!

9/11/2021 10:22 pm  #11

Rayrich  respectfully, I am very much aware of Duquesne football tradition and history and I appreciate your pointing out  those great wins of the past but I  did say  biggest win since 1969.(check post again) I grew up hearing about Boyd Brumbaugh  from my dad and had the great pleasure of meeting  center  and true hero Al DeMao in DC in 1977 after we beat Catholic to get to National Club Championship,  and maybe my favorite playing moment. There have been some great wins the last 50 years but this is the biggest IMHO in that time span. Others might argue Towson in the NCAA playoffs or after the move to D3 and the upset of CMU a D3 power on local TV. This however is first FBS win.We had Buffalo another MAC school on the ropes in 2013 only to lose in last 2 minutes but never a win. Thanks for posting

9/11/2021 10:26 pm  #12

Also Rayrich  as to your question
it was  Carnegie Tech that beat ND and Rockne made the mistake of not coming to the game and scouting the opponent for the following week!

9/12/2021 1:37 am  #13

I’m not going to compare this win to wins in the 30s and 40s because there is no comparison. The only real debate is if it’s the biggest win since football was revived. I came up with a top ten of those games. I’ll present them in chronological order so you can decide.

1973 vs. Mattatuck CC - Completed an undefeated season at Three Rivers to win the club football national championship

1981 vs. Carnegie Mellon - Beat CMU in season opener at Three Rivers on WPXI.

1994 vs. Iona - Beat Iona at Rooney Field on ESPN2 in just second year in 1-AA.

1995 vs. Wagner - Win ECAC Bowl at Rooney Field to cap off 10-1 season and clinch 1-AA mid-major national championship.

2002 vs. Fairfield - Cap off 11-0 regular season at home keeping hopes alive for first ever playoff bid.

2003 vs. Monmouth - Win ECAC Bowl at home to clinch 1-AA mid-major national championship.

2006 @ Robert Morris - Beat local rival on Fox Sports Pittsburgh in first TV game in 12 years.

2015 vs. St. Francis - Clinch first ever playoff bid on ESPN3 in winner take all game at Rooney Field.

2018 @ Towson - First ever playoff win and win over FCS ranked team.

2021 @ Ohio - First win over opponent from highest division since 1949.

No doubt it’s a huge win for the program. I’d personally put the Towson, Wagner, and St. Francis games ahead of it since there was more on the line. No complaints from me if you want to call it the biggest win in 80 years though.

9/12/2021 6:27 am  #14

Luckymcd thanks and great list!!!!

9/12/2021 9:52 am  #15

Wow. Didn’t see this one coming after losing the starting QB and coming off a tough physical game against TCU. Great win for the Dukes program. Congratulations to the players and to Coach Schmidt, who had his team team fully believing that they could win this game in spite of the adversity.

Special shout-out to our kicker, BRIAN BRUZDEWICZ. 4-4 on FG and 2-2 on XP.  The Dukes have had some heartbreaks over the years due to kicking issues. Brian was a big part of the first win last year against Sacred Heart; this was even more impressive. And he’s only a sophomore.

9/12/2021 11:07 am  #16

Great point about our kicker Phoenix and I admit that I didn't see it coming either! I was there and was so afraid to text people to turn on the Upset in Athens because I can be superstitious and didn't want to jinx them! Haha thanks for the Fan forum Phoenix and all you guys for posting and I am so excited about Duquesne Athletics!!!

9/12/2021 11:57 am  #17

Judge, I am so glad you were able to see this game in person  You were a big part of the modern day DU Football history, and in establishing the roots and winning tradition. Looking forward to great things from this Program.  Go Dukes!

9/12/2021 5:28 pm  #18

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Rayrich respectfully, I am very much aware of Duquesne football tradition and history and I appreciate your pointing out those great wins of the past but I did say biggest win since 1969.(check post again) I grew up hearing about Boyd Brumbaugh from my dad and had the great pleasure of meeting center and true hero Al DeMao in DC in 1977 after we beat Catholic to get to National Club Championship, and maybe my favorite playing moment. There have been some great wins the last 50 years but this is the biggest IMHO in that time span. Others might argue Towson in the NCAA playoffs or after the move to D3 and the upset of CMU a D3 power on local TV. This however is first FBS win.We had Buffalo another MAC school on the ropes in 2013 only to lose in last 2 minutes but never a win. Thanks for posting

I know you are Judge and i'm so happy for you that you saw this first hand. I should have read the initial post more carefully. My late father was a Duquesne grad and often spoke of those teams of the thirties. He grew up in Turtle Creek where he graduated withh his good friend Leon Hart. They played a lot of football together in their youth. Dad must have been smiling yesterday after that impressive victory. 

Last edited by Rayrich (9/12/2021 6:03 pm)

9/12/2021 6:34 pm  #19

Thanks CLK and Rayrich!!! I appreciate you guys and your posts!  Your Dad sounds like he was like mine and my dad was a Leon Hart fan.I was at a funeral home in Turtle Creek a year or so ago and they had a lot of Leon Hart memorabilia and it was so cool!! I love it and again I love reading old Duquesne sports history and there was a great piece on Jim Tucker on PBS recently! I think we forget about him sometimes and a great Duquesne story! Again love the duquesne history guys thanks for posting!

Board footera