Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing


UPCOMING GAMES:
Thursday - 12/8 Home - Marshall - 7:00 PM
Sunday - 12/11 Home - New Mexico State - 4:00 PM
Wednesday - 12/14 Home - DePaul - 7:00 PM

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



11/15/2021 10:19 pm  #26


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

A83 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:

CLK wrote:


Really A83, you are happy of about this loss and your gadfly prediction?  
 

 
Hey CLK I opened a betting account on Fan Duel I'm down 1win 2 loses. Why because every game you predict a 20 point win😂👍 I do agree with your A83 comment. Very disturbing if indeed you are a Duquesne fan.

Yep I’m the problem.   I do the coaching and recruiting.   I run the camera that people complain about.   I’m the color announcer that people don’t like.   I ordered the mini basketballs that didn’t show up for the season opener.   It’s me.

My sincere apologies again.

 
A83 if they can't whip up on North Eastern I would agree "Houston We have Problem". Until then keep moving forward& look for the bright spots. After all we have been watching this disaster for 40 years. I am at this stage numb to the failures at the bluff. I do like this team. Last years team was an embarrassment to the University  with all the technicals, whining & bitching.

 

11/15/2021 10:30 pm  #27


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

The coaching was horrible !!!!! There are no offensive sets, it is all one on one moves.  Unfortunately Duquesne really doesn’t recruit that type of ball player nor should we expect it. The offensive stands around and just watches the person who has the ball. The few high screens they try to set are ridiculously executed. On setting them and coming off of them. No set plays after timeouts. His usage of timeouts borderline on idiotic. Mcknees had to tell him to get Jackie Johnson in the game. If Johnson doesn’t go off tonight we lose by 20 points. Weber State is not that good of a team, their bigs missed several layups and the guards shot plenty of air balls. I can only take one positive out of this game and they played solid defense in the first half. The second half the defense was fair at best, giving up 40 points in a close game on their home court. The reason why their three point shooting percentage is so bad is because the ball and player movement is unacceptable. Not to mention no ball screens  or off the ball back screens. 

I am aware there are a lot of Dambrot supporters on this board. I am one that has not been a big fan of his since he came to town. But this guy has been given everything imaginable from the administration, from a million dollar salary, to his high paid assistants, to a newly renovated field house, to a psychologist to turn their heads into winners, a brand person, new logos and D and the easiest non conference schedule to make it appear that they are good to sell all of the above. I know it’s only three games, but this is year 5 with a whole new team. The students came out, but they will disappear shortly. By year five the coach should have been ready for the opening of the renovated gymnasium with guns a blazing. 

 

11/15/2021 10:42 pm  #28


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

Jackie Johnson sensational but everybody else looked ordinary.This looks like a difficult year for the Dukes.
Its difficult to watch because the talent isnt good enough and you keep hoping and hoping for something better and you think back to all the buffoonery by the administration over the years.Its a never ending
nightmare for those who remember better days.,playing Villanova and beating them.

 

11/15/2021 10:53 pm  #29


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

I dont think anyone in 1971 could ever imagine what would happen to Duquesne basketball. Its a sad and sorry nightmare for me.
 

 

11/15/2021 11:03 pm  #30


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

A lot of the problems seem to stem from lack of chemistry, players not playing together and getting to know each other's moves, an issue I raised as one of my doubts about this mass exodus of players every year, and I was routinely put down for being so negative, but oh well.
Hey, they lost by three points to a team who is ranked a bit higher and was slightly favored. This isn't like our usual "Oh My God, we lost to NJIT or some Ivy League School ranked in the 200s or 300s".
People have complained about our usual patty cake OOC, so they made it tougher. Now the team has to work even harder!
 

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (11/15/2021 11:08 pm)


Habemus victus Richmond, et Bonnies et Dayton.
Nunc vincere Atlanticum 10
 

11/15/2021 11:25 pm  #31


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

The defense will improve but is already solid enough to win a respectable amount of games. My lone complaint on that end is that the current scheme forces the bigs to expend too much energy blitzing the high screen & roll. It seems risky to throw that at every opponent no matter the personnel on the floor. It requires a lot of mobility & sound reads from those centers & the wings in rotation.

While I think it is too early for the Steph Curry comment above, I do think that the program could you an offensive coordinator from outside KD's sphere of influence.

 

 

11/15/2021 11:44 pm  #32


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

 

11/16/2021 8:35 am  #33


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

I apologize for being so negative,the defense and rebounding better just need to get guys to hitting shots.
Dont understand Williams playing high post and taking threes.Trying to be patient with the offense .Weber
woke up in 2nd half,pretty good team.

 

11/16/2021 8:36 am  #34


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

Tejas_Duke wrote:

A lot of the problems seem to stem from lack of chemistry, players not playing together and getting to know each other's moves, an issue I raised as one of my doubts about this mass exodus of players every year, and I was routinely put down for being so negative, but oh well.
Hey, they lost by three points to a team who is ranked a bit higher and was slightly favored. This isn't like our usual "Oh My God, we lost to NJIT or some Ivy League School ranked in the 200s or 300s".
People have complained about our usual patty cake OOC, so they made it tougher. Now the team has to work even harder!
 

Exactly, and also agree with Duq102 and FAM. If Dukes had made 2 more shots we'd be talking about having crushed them on the boards and JJ and Okani coming alive.  I won't dispute any of the comments on the offensive sets, but we have the 5th least returning minutes from last season.  It's a tough OOC schedule and it was never going to be easy replacing Hughes and Weathers.  Give it time. Go Dukes

 

11/16/2021 8:37 am  #35


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

I attended the game and could offer a lot of criticism from my brand new seats in the fan corner looking down at Dave Harper sitting in the corner.  And I hope they ask us for things that need to improve at the Cooper because there are many and I could list them.  But I trust that they are learning. 

I also saw a team that is still learning how to play with each other in game action.  I’m not an expert analyst like all of you but everything from Easley’s fumble at the end to Johnson’s timeout (no I don’t think coach didn’t know and no I think Johnson knew - he’s a freshman who panicked) to Williams poor man’s Mike Hughes.

No I didn’t make any predictions for a trip to McKeesport.  Was born there and lived there and still go there sometimes but that’s not the reason (wouldn’t want a trip to Glassport or Port Vue either).

Bottom line:  I am disappointed but didn’t expect to see domination of anything anytime soon.  I still trust Harper.  I still trust Gormley.  Even more, I still trust Dambrot.  I still think he knows exactly what he is doing.  

 

11/16/2021 8:53 am  #36


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

Ironduke81 wrote:

A83 wrote:

Ironduke81 wrote:


 
Hey CLK I opened a betting account on Fan Duel I'm down 1win 2 loses. Why because every game you predict a 20 point win😂👍 I do agree with your A83 comment. Very disturbing if indeed you are a Duquesne fan.

Yep I’m the problem. I do the coaching and recruiting. I run the camera that people complain about. I’m the color announcer that people don’t like. I ordered the mini basketballs that didn’t show up for the season opener. It’s me.

My sincere apologies again.

 
A83 if they can't whip up on North Eastern I would agree "Houston We have Problem". Until then keep moving forward& look for the bright spots. After all we have been watching this disaster for 40 years. I am at this stage numb to the failures at the bluff. I do like this team. Last years team was an embarrassment to the University with all the technicals, whining & bitching.

I am not sure why everyone thinks Northeastern is some type of push-over.  They were picked 2nd in the same league which has Hofstra at 5th.  They have had a rough start but played 2 teams expected to be competing for first place in their respective leagues.  Sadly, I don't think Vegas will even have us favored. 

 

11/16/2021 9:10 am  #37


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

A83 wrote:

CLK wrote:

A83 wrote:

I’m 3-0 on my path to 6 wins prediction. McKeesport here I come.

Really A83, you are happy of about this loss and your gadfly prediction?  
 

Yeah I’m the problem. Nearly 100% roster turnover. Division 2 players brought in the mix and predictions of 26 wins. And I’m the problem. And the coach saying this is the greatest talent he has ever had. Okay. I sincerely apologize to the DU community.

A83 I have bitched about coaches, complained about player performance, disgusted over DU administration but never, not ever, not once ever celebrated or enjoyed a DU loss like you. Not ever!  I would say yes you are part of the problem.  DU deserves better fans     

 

11/16/2021 9:18 am  #38


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

Wildwood13 wrote:

The coaching was horrible !!!!! There are no offensive sets, it is all one on one moves.  Unfortunately Duquesne really doesn’t recruit that type of ball player nor should we expect it. The offensive stands around and just watches the person who has the ball. The few high screens they try to set are ridiculously executed. On setting them and coming off of them. No set plays after timeouts. His usage of timeouts borderline on idiotic. Mcknees had to tell him to get Jackie Johnson in the game. If Johnson doesn’t go off tonight we lose by 20 points. Weber State is not that good of a team, their bigs missed several layups and the guards shot plenty of air balls. I can only take one positive out of this game and they played solid defense in the first half. The second half the defense was fair at best, giving up 40 points in a close game on their home court. The reason why their three point shooting percentage is so bad is because the ball and player movement is unacceptable. Not to mention no ball screens  or off the ball back screens. 

I am aware there are a lot of Dambrot supporters on this board. I am one that has not been a big fan of his since he came to town. But this guy has been given everything imaginable from the administration, from a million dollar salary, to his high paid assistants, to a newly renovated field house, to a psychologist to turn their heads into winners, a brand person, new logos and D and the easiest non conference schedule to make it appear that they are good to sell all of the above. I know it’s only three games, but this is year 5 with a whole new team. The students came out, but they will disappear shortly. By year five the coach should have been ready for the opening of the renovated gymnasium with guns a blazing. 

I think you nailed it.

 

11/16/2021 9:21 am  #39


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

CLK wrote:

A83 wrote:

CLK wrote:


Really A83, you are happy of about this loss and your gadfly prediction?  
 

Yeah I’m the problem. Nearly 100% roster turnover. Division 2 players brought in the mix and predictions of 26 wins. And I’m the problem. And the coach saying this is the greatest talent he has ever had. Okay. I sincerely apologize to the DU community.

A83 I have bitched about coaches, complained about player performance, disgusted over DU administration but never, not ever, not once ever celebrated or enjoyed a DU loss like you. Not ever!  I would say yes you are part of the problem.  DU deserves better fans     

I am truly sorry that I don’t like up to your expectations of what a Duquesne fan should be.   Someday I hope to live up to your high expectations of what I should become.   I will strive everyday to live up to your expectations.   Yes I have enjoyed throwing my money away on this program year after year and you have correctly pegged me as enjoying their losses because I participated in your little game. 

We should all try to live up to the standards you set.

 

11/16/2021 9:37 am  #40


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

There was lot to digest from that game last night.  First off, Jackie Johnson was amazing and  almost single-handedly pulled out a win for the Dukes.  He is an electric talent, and will get better.  There are a couple of challenges with Jackie's game.  Obviously, a team that played very big at guard like Weber, makes it hard for him to match -up on defense; thus the offense-defense substitutions that cost a few timeouts.  The coaches also need to find a way for Jackie to be able to play freely and score, but keep the other four players involved.  I think it hurt them down the stretch that they spent too much time watching Jackie and not enough time reacting to his offensive play.  and getting involved.  He will learn that not every drive to the hoop must result in him taking it all the way to the rim.  When he beats his man but they help with other defenders, he will be able to find the open man.  I don't have a big problem as some may have with his long-range bombs as long as the percentages justify them; but the team needs to be able to score in the low blocks as well.  So far that has been lacking. 
 
The defense as some have commented was good in the first half; but the Weber coach Randy Rahe did a nice job attacking our defense with hard drives to the basket in the 2nd half and the defense didn't hold up.  Guys were out of position resulting in reaching and a lot of fouls.  The disparity in fouls in the second-half had a huge impact on the outcome as Duquesne was in the double-bonus with around eight minutes left.  Many of the fouls were legitimate, but as usual some were questionable.  I don't think the defense ever re-grouped and found it's footing again in the second-half, and that needs to happen when a team finds a weakness and exploits it after halftime.  There has to be an adjustment to counteract the offense.  I thought Weber used their physicality advantage more in the second-half and the Dukes just didn't respond.  
Primo came up against a very good and mature guard in Koby McEwan a well-traveled guard from Toronto via Marquette and Utah St. I think it got into Primo's head a bit and instead of reacting to the challenge it seemed he just became passive.  Hopefully, he will react differently the next time he runs into another talented guard like McEwan.  
The turnovers by Duquesne were crippling, especially when the game was in the balance.  Weber did play a little tougher on defense in the 2nd half, but I wouldn't call it an extremely aggressing defense compared to some the Dukes will face in the A-10; so 20 turnovers was a staggering number against this opponent. I think Weber was a well-coached team that never lost their poise even when they fell behind late in the first half.  The Dukes were in a position to open up a much larger lead that 9 points before the half but missed foul shots and missed opportunities prevented the lead from swelling to maybe 13-15 at the half.  Good teams learn how to start and close-out halves and the Dukes need to get much better doing both.  
 

 

11/16/2021 9:38 am  #41


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

Very disappointing loss but I am not here to tear this team or coaching staff down.  I'm a die hard fan and will continue to be so. Wanted to get that out of the way. I called Jackie J's big breakout game. I just didn't expect the rest of the team to be subpar. This is not the time to rip into the team or the coaching staff but the time to show support. This team has the makings of a top half A-10 team and  needs encouragement not finger pointing. I am and always will be a glass half full person and I still see lots of good here. Expecting way more wins than losses if this team can find its identity moving forward. No, sorry to disappoint A83, but this team will not win 3 games this year. If you're a fan of this program I don't wish to see a detractor!! What we've witnessed so far should not be totally unexpected given the fact that we have practically a new team on the floor. I'm giving it some time and expect to be rewarded for my patience. Lets not throw this group of players or coaching staff under the bus. Let's be the fans that they truly need! GO DUKES!

 

11/16/2021 9:48 am  #42


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

Does DU buy back tickets?  New building is nice, but I dont want to watch that product.   Exciting as JJ and Primo are, there is too much garbage on the floor.

Gotta figure they are on vacation now, jerking around, taking selfies, chasing dames, acting like 5 year olds, I'm jealous, but what will happen?   Maybe being away from home helps them bond.   Good teams usually do, so I expect nothing.

Larson and Mike B played a combined 28 minutes, had 1 missed shot.   We lost by 4.   Rationing minutes in game 3 is pathetic.

A83, I am on your side.   :-)))

 

11/16/2021 9:49 am  #43


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

A83 - you totally fly in the face of what a fan is.  You are what is known as a front runner.  Don’t bore us with how much money you have “thrown away” and how many years you have done so.  There are a lot of frustrated people on the board who are justifiably unhappy with the first three games.  They vent and vent and then end it with “go dukes!”.  Many of them have stuck with Duquesne for a good portion of their life - 55 years in my case and many with more than that.  Sports is fun, exhilarating, entertaining and a test of loyalty while at the same time disappointing, frustrating, and trying on our patience.  We all go through all of that.  Duquesne has treated me to a lot of enjoyment whether on a court, football field, or whatever.  I don’t ask anyone to not be critical as I was ready to throw things at the TV myself.  But in the end I am a Duke.  Period.

 

11/16/2021 10:11 am  #44


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

kcc173 wrote:

A83 - you totally fly in the face of what a fan is.  You are what is known as a front runner.  Don’t bore us with how much money you have “thrown away” and how many years you have done so.  There are a lot of frustrated people on the board who are justifiably unhappy with the first three games.  They vent and vent and then end it with “go dukes!”.  Many of them have stuck with Duquesne for a good portion of their life - 55 years in my case and many with more than that.  Sports is fun, exhilarating, entertaining and a test of loyalty while at the same time disappointing, frustrating, and trying on our patience.  We all go through all of that.  Duquesne has treated me to a lot of enjoyment whether on a court, football field, or whatever.  I don’t ask anyone to not be critical as I was ready to throw things at the TV myself.  But in the end I am a Duke.  Period.

Thanks.  I hope to do better in the future.  GO DUKES!!!

 

11/16/2021 10:20 am  #45


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

townsonkid wrote:

Does DU buy back tickets?  New building is nice, but I dont want to watch that product.   Exciting as JJ and Primo are, there is too much garbage on the floor.

Gotta figure they are on vacation now, jerking around, taking selfies, chasing dames, acting like 5 year olds, I'm jealous, but what will happen?   Maybe being away from home helps them bond.   Good teams usually do, so I expect nothing.

Larson and Mike B played a combined 28 minutes, had 1 missed shot.   We lost by 4.   Rationing minutes in game 3 is pathetic.

A83, I am on your side.   :-)))

It was a bit disconcerting, when on a team searching for offense, the coach in his postgame comments says he should have played Mike Bekelja more. Not what I would have thought , but what the heck - Go for it.

Lack of any offensive flow is a bit discouraging. Hope it gets significantly better. It is a pattern with DU that goes back years, so I do not hold out a great deal of hope for a quantum leap forward.

Only 3 games in but DU's place in the 3rd quartile of hoop teams ( RPI 187 ) seems about right.

Peace out
 

 

11/16/2021 11:23 am  #46


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

There are positives to be seen but I couldn’t agree more with the excess minutes given to Bejelka and Larson. Hard to play effective offense when 2-3 players on the court offer absolutely no threat. Dambrot’s overemphasizes man to man defense to the point of restricting his offense. His failure to even consider a zone has been costly in the last two games. Your team is being shred by drives to the hoop that have teams shooting very high percentages (55% overall and 57% from 2). EVERY coach is bending on playing some zone.

Allowing Johnson and Spears to basically play one on one basketball in the second half shut down the participation by the others on the court. Johnson is a product of  the “basketball academies” that feature lots of individual play and shoot at will. Is he a talent, sure but can he be turned into a team player? That remains to be seen. In 24 minutes of playing time he had “0” assists. The team had 20 turnovers and 9 assists. Not good basketball.

Last edited by The Dome (11/16/2021 11:32 am)

 

11/16/2021 1:17 pm  #47


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

It amazes me that after 40 years + of lackluster play, people on this board think it should only take 1/8th of that time to turn the entire program around. We are trending upwards in terms of talent, we just got a new stadium...investments are being made in the program. As more money is put into the program, higher expectations will be set for the performance of players & coach, gameday operations, etc. 

When you flew by the seat of your pants for 40+ years a lot of bad habits are created. Takes time to generate change. Be patient, enjoy where the program is headed and understand that if you wanted to root for a perennial powerhouse you wouldn't be rooting for Duquesne in the first place. 

With that being said, if we are going to continue to play Bekelja for his defense (which i think is good) coach needs to give him some sort of offensive confidence. At least get him shooting open 3s. No need for Larson to be on the court ever. Should be treated like a walk-on. Practice only.

 

11/16/2021 1:34 pm  #48


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

How do you compare Jackie Johnson to Willie Somerset.?Never saw Somerset only in pictures ,both
very muscular and Johnson plays with a attitude,not afraid of the moment,like his mindset.Both could shoot the rock.///????????

 

11/16/2021 2:19 pm  #49


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

DuqHasBeen wrote:

It amazes me that after 40 years + of lackluster play, people on this board think it should only take 1/8th of that time to turn the entire program around. We are trending upwards in terms of talent, we just got a new stadium...investments are being made in the program. As more money is put into the program, higher expectations will be set for the performance of players & coach, gameday operations, etc. 

When you flew by the seat of your pants for 40+ years a lot of bad habits are created. Takes time to generate change. Be patient, enjoy where the program is headed and understand that if you wanted to root for a perennial powerhouse you wouldn't be rooting for Duquesne in the first place. 

With that being said, if we are going to continue to play Bekelja for his defense (which i think is good) coach needs to give him some sort of offensive confidence. At least get him shooting open 3s. No need for Larson to be on the court ever. Should be treated like a walk-on. Practice only.

Yes indeed it is truly amazing that after 40 plus years anyone would think the deeds of this sorry-A--- program could be undone just like that. This is the best post I've read in quite some time here. Was trying myself to make this point and didn't do it because I didn't think I'd be able to articulate it properly. Well DuqHasBeen, you did it. I dont see this season as being a major fix at all. As some have said and I agree, you have to develop chemistry. Having JJ out there running the show was just another element in a game situation that had never occurred beyond a few minutes. We're 3 games in. This board has been a circus for years, fun and interesting. But the ill-informed stuff that keeps coming by is amusing. Everyone read DuqHasBeen's  post again, especially the clowns in this circus. You know who you are.

 

11/16/2021 4:16 pm  #50


Re: Game Thread - Weber State Wildcats

Well, Keith did warn us in one of the season preview stories that things might be ugly in the early going and he's citing chemistry and being not really sure what he's got as the main issues that have cost them two very winnable games. But man, 19 points from the starting five? That's incredible. I wonder when the last time Duquesne got such little production from its starters? Roster completely overhauled but the ugly offense we saw for most of last year remains. 

I thought Jackie Johnson was all in all pretty awesome and I'm disappointed to see the criticism of him on this board after his 27-point performance failed to bail the team out of its doldrums. He was the only one with a pulse on offense. Oh sure, it would be great if he was creating offense for his teammates instead of beating defenders to the rim for layups and making 25-30-foot 3-pointers, but is there a player on this roster who's doing that? Is there one capable of doing that? So is that chemistry, coaching or the reality that we're Duquesne and we can only get players who are talented but not especially complete or multi-dimensional in their games? The rest has to come from coaching and development. And when that happens, the player can just bail on the program whenever it suits him and seek his fortunes elsewhere, won't even have to sit out a year. So yeah, I kind of understand the frustration level right now. Those of you saying you can't fix a 40-year problem in five years, great, but please understand this program reboot cycle may be more feature than bug going forward.

The upcoming tournament will hopefully help with the obvious chemistry issues. Afraid I don't have too much else to go on right now.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

uLINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • Pittsburgh Sports Now