Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing



You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



11/16/2021 12:38 pm  #1


Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

This board has run off more posters than it should. We have a lot of diehard fans that have weathered many losing seasons. If someone gets upset and lashes out, a small group of you gang up and pile on. It has happened to me and many others, and a lot of those others just quit posting. I, myself am not bothered by what you think of me, I am tough skinned that way. Plus I understand the game from many different views. The way I figure it, the more opinions the merrier. But you guys are so relentless that people decide, why bother and quit posting. The number of posters since I joined has gone way down in numbers in each year. If you guys want a small circle of friends on this board, you are achieving your goal. Let people voice their frustrations and opinions, even if it differs from yours. We are adults and can handle it, but don’t push people away.

I am not happy with this coach and I will explain in detail. What is great about college basketball is that you as a coach get to build a team to your liking. You get to choose what kind of player you want based on skill, attitude, academic, work ethic, or what your team needs are and other intangibles. The player chooses the school based on their relationships with the coaching staff and the school. What I have heard from this coach is we don’t have shooters, we don’t have height, we don’t have great defensive skills and players attitudes are terrible. You know what coach, you picked these players to play for you. That is on you. It’s not like high school where you coach who ever is in the school or the NBA where it’s predicated on draft positioning. As far as relationships, I feel he wears thin on these players, evidenced by only one player out of 30 some players to actually finish his career at Duquesne.

As I have stated previously, this administration has given this coach more than any other coach in Duquesne history, the resources to succeed. The out of conference schedule has been ridiculously easy. I will list four years out of conference schedule with Ken Proms rating beside it, not counting last year the COVID year.

17-18                              18-19.                                 19-20.                          21-22
St. Francis. NY 313        William & Mary219             Princeton 150.             Rider 257
VMI 331.                         UIC 196.                             Lamar 236.                 Hofstra 148
Robert Morris 253.          Redford 122.                      Limpscomb 247.         Weber State 117
Cornell 265.                    ND 97.                                Indiana St. 122.          Northeastern 174
Pitt 227.                          U Mass Lowell 258.            Air Force 197.             American 255
Md Eastern Shore 349.   Pitt 101.                             Loyola Marymount 209 Bowling Green 150
Stetson 314.                   Marshall 157.                      VMI 257.                     Marshall 110
Delaware State 350.       Longwood 256.                   Columbia 299.            DePaul 128
Miss.  Valley St. 348.      Md. Eastern Shore 353.      Redford 186.              New Hampshire 215
NC A&T 306.                  Maine 338.                           Austin Peay 172.       Calf. Irv 112
Lamar 203.                     PSU 43.                               UAB 189.                    Wofford 121
San Francisco 158.        Eastern Ky 235.                   Marshall 143.          
So. Illinois 135.               NJIT 183
There are 353 Division 1 teams. AD Harper helped this coach by giving him a relatively easy non conference schedule 
and each year making it a little more difficult in the hopes the coach will have built the program by year 5. Year 5 does not have a top hundred team on the schedule. Most of the games also were on our home court, with the exception of when we didn’t have a gym available.

Lets review his starts and finishes.
2017-2018 Started12-5 Finished 4-11
2018-2019 Started 14-5 Finished 5-8
2019-2020 Started 10-0 Finished 11-9
2020-2021 COVID year supposedly are best year we started and finished .500; excusable because COVID affected teams differently.

So the coaches teams have not improved as the year goes on, his retention rate is pathetic, his relationships sour (Mike Lewis, Eric Williams and Sincere Carry) evaluation of high school talent not that great as 8 players that transferred do not even play any more, Another ten players that transferred are playing at lower levels and contributing minimally. So where does the blame go ? Not on the administration, that’s for sure! Maybe in the past but not now. Unfortunately it falls on the coach. His non usage of timeouts in the Hofstra game to right the ship, was troublesome. Then the next game, Weber St. to over use his timeouts to substitute was even more troublesome. His lack of plays on offense, where there is ball movement, player movement, ball screens, off the ball screens, v cuts, back door cuts and I could go on and on about his playground offense. That’s my opinion and I could give a rats a** what anyone thinks of it. Just like I hope A 83 feels about you guys piling on.

 

 

11/16/2021 12:53 pm  #2


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Sorry about the confusion on the 2017-2018 and 2021-2022 schedule, when I typed it, it was four columns. It came out with three and the two years mentioned above combined. Left indented is 2017-2018 right indented in first column is this years. Apologies all around.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (11/16/2021 12:54 pm)

     Thread Starter
 

11/16/2021 1:03 pm  #3


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Wildwood… Please keep posting.  Also, your data is excellent. Not to speak for you, but I presume your views are like most of us, you are tired of our teams not doing well. Many years ago, I was asked what I want from the team. My response has been the same.   Make the NIT every few years and make the NCAA now and then.  Dambrot said this is the best team he has had since being here. I am waiting until the end of the year to pass judgement… but I will make my responses known (as I did about Ferry) to the AD, athletic department, n President if this is a bad year.  Go Dukes!

 

11/16/2021 1:08 pm  #4


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

So are you going to also start celebrating DU losing?  Everybody has opinions, and nobody is criticizing opinions. I agree the more opinions the better. Many of us, including myself are frustrated  and unhappy about the teams start and have expressed their opinions.  Nobody has tried to stop you or any other poster from, expressing their opinion.  But when a supposed fan posts enjoying and celebrates a DU losing that is different. I don't recall any DU fan ever posting anything like that.  Myself and others did not appreciate his taunting post and expressed their opinion which you characterize as pilling on which in nonsense.  

 

11/16/2021 1:24 pm  #5


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Dear lord I wasn’t celebrating anything.   I predicted 6 wins because I don’t believe we have the talent available for many wins.   I went through the schedule game by game.  And I came up with 6. 

I was making a stupid joke.   My god get a sense of humor.

Would you have preferred I got out my frustration by damning all the coaches and calling out each player that did something wrong?

As long as I trash people and end it with GO DUKES that seems fine.

Last edited by A83 (11/16/2021 1:28 pm)

 

11/16/2021 1:30 pm  #6


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Ok,  A83 it was a joke. I missed it.  Moving on.

 

11/16/2021 1:33 pm  #7


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

CLK wrote:

So are you going to also start celebrating DU losing?  Everybody has opinions, and nobody is criticizing opinions. I agree the more opinions the better. Many of us, including myself are frustrated  and unhappy about the teams start and have expressed their opinions.  Nobody has tried to stop you or any other poster from, expressing their opinion.  But when a supposed fan posts enjoying and celebrates a DU losing that is different. I don't recall any DU fan ever posting anything like that.  Myself and others did not appreciate his taunting post and expressed their opinion which you characterize as pilling on which in nonsense.  

No I am not going to celebrate the Dukes losing, Just like you posed that question to me, is the same as him celebrating, it’s called sarcasm. And yes CLK, people have been attacked for their opinions and a group of you pile on. Why do you think there are not as many different posters as there use to be ? Maybe he was posting in jest in your overly optimistic win total. I, like a few other posters, could not even venture a guess at a win total, based on all the new players. I remember in year one when coach said his transfers sitting out beat his eligible team by 50 points in a scrimmage. Nice way to talk about the kids that stuck around. Well those transfers had moderate success but not like coach anticipated. Now the coach says this is the most talent he has had here, Again throwing former players under the bus, that he brought in. Sooner or later coach has to back up his talking points and look in the mirror and play to the teams strengths and stay away from their weaknesses, while also attacking the opponents weakness and staying away from their strengths. All the while making in game adjustments like Weber State coach did last evening.

     Thread Starter
 

11/16/2021 1:49 pm  #8


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Honestly I think, check that, I know that there are not as many posters because of the overwhelming negativity of some posters on this board. I have touched base with many of them and this is what they told me. For example one of my long term friends and kindred spirt ElDuque no longer posts here for that reason.  Three games into the season on two tough losses and posters hair are on fire.  I swear some posters only appear after losses.  Never is heard an encouraging word.  That is the main reason we have less posters. It is not because they are attacked for their opinion. Some posters are not as thick skin as they claim.  Any time someone disagrees with them they claimed they are being attacked.   

 

11/16/2021 7:29 pm  #9


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

OK it’s time to fire Coach Dambrot. Who is his replacement. If you want to spend big bucks on say one of the Miller boys this would require big money from the alumni who support the basketball program. How much have you personally invested in Duquesne University? Me I have spent over 750,000. Guess what every dollar spent was worth it. Yes I’m done thanks to the Quinipiac Clown. Go Dukes….

 

11/16/2021 9:19 pm  #10


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Ironduke81 wrote:

OK it’s time to fire Coach Dambrot. Who is his replacement. If you want to spend big bucks on say one of the Miller boys this would require big money from the alumni who support the basketball program. How much have you personally invested in Duquesne University? Me I have spent over 750,000. Guess what every dollar spent was worth it. Yes I’m done thanks to the Quinipiac Clown. Go Dukes….

I never said fire him,  I gave, what I  feel are legitimate reasons for my displeasure in his coaching and achievements. Why not dispute my points of displeasure with a rebuttal on my views instead of an immature response. What is it that you like, his retention of players, his offensive sets, his ability to get along with players, his teams record progressively  getting worse as the season goes on ? Or is it his evaluation of players that are not able to play in the A-10 or his non conference record against weak competition ?

     Thread Starter
 

11/17/2021 8:04 am  #11


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

It is early so I would suggest everyone take a breath and let's see where we are 10 games in.  That being said, I have some of the same concerns that Wildwood has touched on, time will tell, but I am not a fan of hearing how good we are going to be next year 3 games into this season.................  

 

11/17/2021 9:04 am  #12


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

I'm not a basketball expert. There are folks on this board who run rings around me with basketball knowledge. But there is one thing that I do know. Keith Dambrot knows more basketball that all the collective knowledge of all on this board. I don't for one minute believe that the game has passed him by. In my estimation, KD is solid. I will continue to trust the process and believe that he will get the most out of this team as he learns more about his players most of whom are brand new to the system. KD doesn't make excuses but gives reasons why something didn't go right. I totally respect his continual references to his coaching and how he has to do a better job in a given situation. I've really never heard him literally throw a player under the bus! He has always taken responsibility for his team and that's not always the case with many coaches. Totally respect the man and his ability to coach and adjust to in game situations and to develop a team. My two cents worth. Let's go Dukes!

 

11/17/2021 12:04 pm  #13


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Not feel comfortable posting here?  On this board?  Why, how could that possibly be?

 

11/17/2021 12:22 pm  #14


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

My view is that (yes throwing out last year, and putting a big asterisk next to the abrupt Covid ending of the season in 2020, which was his best year and we could have gone further) four plus years and every year multiple players leaving, some even bailing in the middle of the season, then it's time to start asking questions.

Basically Keith rescued the program from the depths of the Ferry years and got us back to mediocrity, which many of you may realize was the level reached by the previous coach before Ferry, who many said had plateaued there and was going to go no higher, and he was relieved.

I have two cousins in Ohio, one who played lower level hoops in college, and they are Akron season ticket holders for over 20 years. My cousin raised a few of the points about Dambrot's style and coaching to me a few years ago.

Just asking, how long is Keith's deal?  If it's five years then I definetly think he should be extended two years, to make up for Covid rendering one whole season and part of another useless to try and judge him. 

If these problems persist and he stalls at this plateau, then it's time to seriously ask questions.
 


Habemus victus Richmond, et Bonnies et Dayton.
Nunc vincere Atlanticum 10
 

11/17/2021 1:08 pm  #15


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

When Keith was hired in 2017, it was reported as a 7-year, $7m deal. So his initial contract would take him through the 2023-24 season, two more years after this one. Would think he'd be up for an extension either this season or next season at the very latest. Doubt they'd let him start the 2023-24 season without one unless he plans to retire after that season.

 

11/17/2021 1:15 pm  #16


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Don’t get me wrong fellas, I am not suggesting to start an uprising to suggest Dambrot’s removal. I was stating facts how this administration has given him more ammo than any other coach in DU history. The AD has scheduled OOC games in a way that he has given the coach a chance to build the program gradually and have an inflated record. I personally do not like his offense or his recruiting. My opinion. I am a reasonable person and realize that this is a major rebuilding process and he had some obstacles that he had to overcome that were no fault of his own. Like COVID, the new transfer rules and the delay of the opening of the field house. I also feel he deserves a few more years because of these obstacles. 
The things I do not like about the coach have been mentioned previously. But the few things I can’t shake, are the handling of Mike Lewis, his claim to being a disciplinarian, coach stating his offense works inside to out, his claim that the transfers sitting out beat the eligible players by 50 in a scrimmage and now stating this is the best talent he has had science he arrived.
Coaxed Mike Lewis into staying and Mike saved him in a few games and was an outstanding young man. How did he repay him for that loyalty? Benched him when he was our best outside threat. Didn’t care how Norman and Carry left mid season and the handling of Williams. He claims to be a disciplinarian was not exhibited early on when he basically blew the PSU game with his technicals and the behavior of a few of his players. Coach has stated on numerous occasions his offense runs inside to out, I have yet to witness this type of offense; as his post players are usually setting a high screen at the top of the key; taking long jumpers or getting stupid fouls because they don’t set screens properly. The offense does not have ball or player movement; it’s all one on one with no cutting or back screens. Coaches use of timeouts have been questionable. Lastly, really not interested in the players sitting out or how good this group could be in the future, unfortunately for us these players don’t stay all the way to be productive at Duquesne during his tenure. I am done on this subject until the end of the year.

     Thread Starter
 

11/17/2021 2:15 pm  #17


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

DennisC91 wrote:

When Keith was hired in 2017, it was reported as a 7-year, $7m deal. So his initial contract would take him through the 2023-24 season, two more years after this one. Would think he'd be up for an extension either this season or next season at the very latest. Doubt they'd let him start the 2023-24 season without one unless he plans to retire after that season.

Thanks, I couldn't remember. So he is in year 5.  Should be extended this year or next.  IF the team falls apart this year and he ends up with a Ferry type record, then things will get dicey.
 


Habemus victus Richmond, et Bonnies et Dayton.
Nunc vincere Atlanticum 10
 

11/17/2021 2:31 pm  #18


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

Wildwood13 wrote:

Don’t get me wrong fellas, I am not suggesting to start an uprising to suggest Dambrot’s removal. I was stating facts how this administration has given him more ammo than any other coach in DU history. The AD has scheduled OOC games in a way that he has given the coach a chance to build the program gradually and have an inflated record. I personally do not like his offense or his recruiting. My opinion. I am a reasonable person and realize that this is a major rebuilding process and he had some obstacles that he had to overcome that were no fault of his own. Like COVID, the new transfer rules and the delay of the opening of the field house. I also feel he deserves a few more years because of these obstacles. 
The things I do not like about the coach have been mentioned previously. But the few things I can’t shake, are the handling of Mike Lewis, his claim to being a disciplinarian, coach stating his offense works inside to out, his claim that the transfers sitting out beat the eligible players by 50 in a scrimmage and now stating this is the best talent he has had science he arrived.
Coaxed Mike Lewis into staying and Mike saved him in a few games and was an outstanding young man. How did he repay him for that loyalty? Benched him when he was our best outside threat. Didn’t care how Norman and Carry left mid season and the handling of Williams. He claims to be a disciplinarian was not exhibited early on when he basically blew the PSU game with his technicals and the behavior of a few of his players. Coach has stated on numerous occasions his offense runs inside to out, I have yet to witness this type of offense; as his post players are usually setting a high screen at the top of the key; taking long jumpers or getting stupid fouls because they don’t set screens properly. The offense does not have ball or player movement; it’s all one on one with no cutting or back screens. Coaches use of timeouts have been questionable. Lastly, really not interested in the players sitting out or how good this group could be in the future, unfortunately for us these players don’t stay all the way to be productive at Duquesne during his tenure. I am done on this subject until the end of the year.

I must say that these are also my main issues with KD. I also think that this is the forum for expressing such thoughts given that the board is supposed to be for discussing DU men's basketball.

I have long been on the record stating that KD's personality is not one I cherish. However, I most certainly want him to have massive success on the Bluff.

Even so, the results & state of the program at the end of season 6 should determine if the coach has earned an extension. Unless this season ends with a big bang & these players stay out of the portal, I don't want to see an extension offered before 4/1/23. This commentary is not predicated on the analysis of the first 3 games of this season.

I find none of the negatives or positives of the last 10 days to be particularly damning or surprising. As the season progresses, I expect the good to outweigh the bad by a substantial margin.

Last edited by phil95 (11/17/2021 2:36 pm)

 

11/17/2021 2:36 pm  #19


Re: Get off of A 83’s back and I’ll explain why !!

All is good with CLK and I.   I feel important to have my name on a thread.  .

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

uLINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • Pittsburgh Sports Now