Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2021 8:15 pm  #1

Covid updates?

Dukes are supposed to open the A-10 schedule at Davidson on Thursday.  Of course I cannot find anything online about the state of the team or the likelihood of the game happening.  Do we know who or how many players were sidelined with Covid?  Has the team been able to practice?  How about a description of what needs to happen for the game to be played?  I know about HIPPA so I do not expect to learn who was symptomatic and the nature of the symptoms but a short news release telling the fan base something like, "as of today, the game with Davidson is expected to happen."  Or "  Duquesne still needs to provide at least 10 negative tests 72 hours before the tip for the game to occur."  Something!  I'd love to know if certain players are already ruled out.  Someone on this board has to know something! I'd love to hear even a rumor.  Someone spill something. 

12/27/2021 10:38 pm  #2

Re: Covid updates?

I live in Charlotte & have tix to attend the game on 12/30.
As of today - No indication from the Davidson College sites or local news that the game will be cancelled.

12/28/2021 9:00 am  #3

Box & One wrote:

I live in Charlotte & have tix to attend the game on 12/30.
As of today - No indication from the Davidson College sites or local news that the game will be cancelled.

Not to be political but CDC shortened timeframe from 10 to 5 days. Assuming both coaches & players are asymptomatic the Dukes should be good to go. After following the Charlotte paper no mention of outbreak with Davidson. I further suspect the Dukes will test up to the date of travel this Wednesday. We should know by Thursday A.M. if game cancelled. As the result of this CDC change in policy I remain confident that the basketball season will continue. Just an opinion.

12/28/2021 5:45 pm  #4

I jinxed it. Just received an email from Davidson athletics the game is postponed

Last edited by Box & One (12/28/2021 5:46 pm)

12/28/2021 7:53 pm  #5

While we are asking for the apparently impossible, I would also like to have an update on the injury recovery for Primo, Gunn, & Tre.

12/29/2021 9:18 am  #6

If you want updates on this team you will have to wait until the Dukes play again and listen to pregame show.
There hasnt been a story about the Dukes since the last game played almost 2 weeks ago.Unacceptable

12/29/2021 10:12 am  #7

stew wrote:

If you want updates on this team you will have to wait until the Dukes play again and listen to pregame show.
There hasnt been a story about the Dukes since the last game played almost 2 weeks ago.Unacceptable

Yeah, the nerve of people taking time off for the holidays while school isn't in session and there's an epidemic going on.

12/29/2021 2:26 pm  #8

MikeR wrote:

stew wrote:

Yeah, the nerve of people taking time off for the holidays while school isn't in session and there's an epidemic going on.

Absolutely no excuse.  How does the school expect to build a larger following when they are not consistently in the news talking about the team.  The Trib and the PG should be following the injuries and the Covid situation with regular updates as well.  

12/29/2021 2:58 pm  #9

There is a job to be done and the job of informing gets lost somehow at Duquesne .Duquesne operates sports information and ticket sales with the energy of a 95 year old man with a frontal lobotomy.There are
probably 3 or4 stories a day written about Pitt in Pittsburgh Sports Now.Wake up somebody, anybody at
Duquesne!

12/29/2021 4:26 pm  #10

saba@duq.edu
Dave Saba

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/29/2021 8:41 pm  #11

I had emailed Craig Meyer from the PG last year about why there are hardly ever any stories about the Dukes.  He said he is assigned to Pitt and it is his role to cover them.  And that he does.  Stories with pictures often every other damn day.   Apparently no one is assigned to cover the Dukes on a regular basis.  As you say, there are and have been a number of possible stories.  But at the end of the day, the athletic department needs to be promoting and ensuring update articles.  Pathetic.  Go Dukes

12/29/2021 9:56 pm  #12

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

I had emailed Craig Meyer from the PG last year about why there are hardly ever any stories about the Dukes. He said he is assigned to Pitt and it is his role to cover them. And that he does. Stories with pictures often every other damn day. Apparently no one is assigned to cover the Dukes on a regular basis. As you say, there are and have been a number of possible stories. But at the end of the day, the athletic department needs to be promoting and ensuring update articles. Pathetic. Go Dukes

Since you have only 15 posts I will fill you in for the board. Duquesne has not been really relevant in 45 years.. The coverage will not improve until the make the Big Dance. Period! End of story!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/30/2021 9:43 am  #13

Thanks for checking on my number of posts Tejas but I have been a season ticket holder for those 45 years and am quite aware of what a crap program it has been.  But that doesn’t mean the local media and athlete department can’t do a much better job with generating and covering stories without teams going to the dance.  Wishful thinking on my part and many others I know but very frustrating.  Thanks for filling me in.

12/30/2021 10:16 am  #14

I dont have much hope that Duquesne will ever partticipate in a NCAA tournament.Too many years of bufoonery and dereliction by so many people in leadership positions at Duquesne.I attend Rider game
and over 1,000 empty seats, the mess up with the min-basketball promotion.,the hour wait in the parking
garage after the game. Harper is sadly mistaken if the 45 million dollar upgrade puts Duquesne over the
top.Its paying attenton to  details on making the fan experience positive and building a fan base. Duquesne
is just failing in every way possible. Harper is doing what Brian the bonehead did,hosting NCAA tournaments at PPG. Same old crap.

12/30/2021 10:26 am  #15

I think Dambrot made a huge mistake in coming here,so many issues with athletic dept. He gets a million
dollars a  year but life at Duquesne is tough when you are surrounded by the do nothings in charge of
diddly.

12/30/2021 10:47 am  #16

Its hard to recruit when 1500 people show up for games, the A10 gets a maximum of 2 bids and conferences like Big Ten are looking to get 10 teams in.The margin of error for Duquesne is so small to make tournament.

12/30/2021 4:20 pm  #17

I seem to remember a time not too many years ago when the A-10 had 5 teams in the big dance. I want to say maybe in the early 2000's. Not certain. Sure a poster could refresh my memory. Those days may be gone but If the league is tough enough I would still hope to see at least 3 bids to A-10 teams moving forward. We will see. Not necessarily the current season.

12/30/2021 4:45 pm  #18

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

I had emailed Craig Meyer from the PG last year about why there are hardly ever any stories about the Dukes.  He said he is assigned to Pitt and it is his role to cover them.  And that he does.  Stories with pictures often every other damn day.   Apparently no one is assigned to cover the Dukes on a regular basis.  As you say, there are and have been a number of possible stories.  But at the end of the day, the athletic department needs to be promoting and ensuring update articles.  Pathetic.  Go Dukes

This is the unfortunate reality, there is no outside, casual fan interest in the program (RIGHT NOW). There is enough in place now for coverage to elevate if we get hot. It happened two years ago. We were one of the last teams left undefeated, receiving top 25 votes for a few weeks. Attendance was up, local coverage was way up, hell we were on sports center mentioned more than a couple times.

The reality is we sucked last year, and we have sucked so far this year, so there goes casual fan interest. Of course the PG don’t have a full time person. Based on our level of success, they will “flex” someone into coverage as appropriate. Have 10% of the success of Pitt has had over the last 30 years, and maybe you get some regular coverage. I know the guy who runs PSN and have asked why Pitt coverage is like 5-1 Dukes coverage on his site.

Clicks. Article reads……It’s that simple. If there is interest they will increase coverage. These are all companies trying to make a profit. That’s why none of them are covering Point Park Basketball or Carlow tennis, no one cares! Winning can change that though.

Wake me up when we are playing basketball again.

12/30/2021 5:32 pm  #19

To my way of thinking if you haven't done everything possible to improve a given situation, you haven't done enough. Let's go athletic department. And LETS GO DUKES!!

12/30/2021 6:56 pm  #20

El Presidente wrote:

To my way of thinking if you haven't done everything possible to improve a given situation, you haven't done enough. Let's go athletic department. And LETS GO DUKES!!

My comments were centered around non AD coverage for the record. They have definitely been disappointing, but no shock there on my part.

12/30/2021 7:12 pm  #21

Thank you Duques102 and El Presidente for your thoughtful responses

12/31/2021 1:11 am  #22

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

Thanks for checking on my number of posts Tejas but I have been a season ticket holder for those 45 years and am quite aware of what a crap program it has been. But that doesn’t mean the local media and athlete department can’t do a much better job with generating and covering stories without teams going to the dance. Wishful thinking on my part and many others I know but very frustrating. Thanks for filling me in.

My apologies for assuming "newbie status"  I firmly believe that the few Duquesne fans left have already been on this board for years. It's become a habit.

BTW: Welcome to the board.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (12/31/2021 1:13 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/31/2021 9:58 am  #23

Thanks Tejas.  I have been reading for years and have learned a lot.  Just don’t post often as I don’t have the basketball IQ as most of you.  But I really enjoy it.  Happy New Year!  Go Dukes!

Happy New Year everyone!

12/31/2021 11:19 am  #24

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

Thank you Duques102 and El Presidente for your thoughtful responses

My basketball IQ is no where near some of the longtime posters on this board. It's fun and educational to be part of this Duquesne basketball community and I thoroughly enjoy every minute of it even when some of us come off the rails every now and then!
Welcome to the board RedandBlue.

1/03/2022 6:46 pm  #25

Is anyone confident the game Wednesday will happen?  I have yet to hear a peep about anything.  Who even knows if GW is dealing with Covid issues?!?!?

Board footera