Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2022 8:07 pm  #26

Re: If we wait until his contract is up !

unclemark527 wrote:

I'm tired. Having watched the Duquesne Men's Basketball Team teeter between mediocrity and just plain awful for decades - yes I said decades - I don't know what to say or do. The last time the Dukes made the NCAA Tournament was my freshman year and I'm tired of seeing other schools, some smaller than Duquesne, have successful programs and get invitations to the big dance. Every few years we get a new coach, another guy who is going to lead us to the promised land, only to set the stage for more disappointment. Why is it that so many other schools can accomplish what Duquesne can't? I realize I'm asking questions that have been asked so many times. But unless we get an administration that commits 100% to rebuilding the program properly it's going to be more of the same.
Years ago, Wisconsin's football team was the laughing stock of the Big Ten. Then Donna Shalala was named school president. One of the first things she did was hire Pat Richter as the AD, who in turn hired Barry Alvarez as the new football coach. In less than five years, the Badgers were conference champs and a national title contender. And have been ever since. That's the kind of commitment basketball at Duquesne needs. Let's see if we get it.

Hate to say it unclemark but my answer to your question about greater commitment is NO. And I'm one of the biggest optimists on this board! 

2/11/2022 8:34 pm  #27

Dennis,
I love your hope… but as I sit here and watch Akron/Kent State and the announcers gushing over Sincere Carry, I still can’t see Duquesne winning more than 2 games the rest of the year… and as usual… I’ll say I hope I am wrong.

I wonder what Dambrot thinks when he watches his former players starting and winning!!!

2/11/2022 8:56 pm  #28

I respectfully disagree as to the level of talent on this team.  I don't want to be specific but the overall talent on this team is not A-10 winning talent.  Really good players would win their share of games and overcome poor offensive sets, poor game planning and poor coaching.  In sports talent trumps all.  You win with it and lose without it.  The worst coach can win with talent.  When talent is relatively even on competing teams the better coach can make a difference.  Any one of you could have won 10 games as the coach of the 1978 Steelers!

2/11/2022 10:16 pm  #29

This team has poor talent.Dayton had better talent at every position.The Dayton backups have better talent in every position than every Duquesne starter.

2/11/2022 10:20 pm  #30

Dayton could have beaten Duquesne by 40,they put the walkons for Dayton on floor last 8 minutes.

2/11/2022 10:25 pm  #31

Duquesne scored 11 points in a 20 minutes segment from 10 minutes left in first half to the 10 minute mark
in 2nd half.. These players are terrible.

2/11/2022 10:51 pm  #32

Williams and Spears are only 2 players that are A10 caliber.

2/12/2022 7:39 am  #33

As far as winning a few more games that would have to start with Fordham today.  I just saw Mason beat Richmond in O.T., and they are much better than Duquesne, so don’t expect a win in that game.  I haven’t seen URI this season; so I can’t comment on the chance of victory.

2/12/2022 12:02 pm  #34

As far as winning a few more games that would have to start with Fordham today.  I just saw Mason beat Richmond in O.T., and they are much better than Duquesne, so don’t expect a win in that game.  I haven’t seen URI this season; so I can’t comment on the chance of victory.  I saw a little of LaSalle in a loss to St Joe’s; could be a good match-up for the Dukes; but they would need to play better.

Board footera