Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2022 8:44 am  #1

Game Thread - Davidson College Wildcats (A)

7:00pm EST tip on Monday 02/14/2022 at the Belk Arena, Davidson, NC
Per KenPom:
Dukes #261 (6-16; 1-9 A-10) vs Davidson College Wildcats #65 (20-4; 10-2 A-10)
Game prediction: Dukes lose by 15, 78-63 - Dukes with 8% probability of a win.
Betting line: Dukes are 13 point underdogs; Over/Under 137½
Duquesne 7-15 Against the Spread: Davidson 13-9 ATS

Dukes Best Win(s): Bradley (83); UC Irvine (118); UMass (182)
Dukes Worst Loss(es): Northeastern (275); Bowling Green (243); Marshall (235)
Davidson Best Win(s): Alabama (18); VCU (79); Richmond (87)
Davidson Worst Loss(es): Rhode Island (114); New Mexico St. (91); VCU (79)

Four Factors ==> Effective field goal percentage; Turnover percentage; Offensive rebounding percentage; Free throw rate (shown below if team has Top 100 ranking overall or top 4 in conference as a strength; if team has Bottom 100 ranking or bottom 4 in conference as a weakness)

Here's a look at Davidson for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Effective FG % (13); Turnover % (17)
Offensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (285)
Defensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (27)
Defensive Weakness: Turnover % (272)

Here's a look at Davidson in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  FT Rate (1); Turnover % (2); Effective FG % (3)
Offensive Weakness:  None
Defensive Strength:  Offensive Rebound % (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Turnover % (13)

Here's a look at the Dukes for the season (national ranking out of 358 teams):
Offensive Strength: Offensive Rebound % (89)
Offensive Weakness: FT Rate (344); Effective FG % (322)
Defensive Strength: FT Rate (6)
Defensive Weakness: Offensive Rebound % (331); Effective FG % (285)

Here's a look at the Dukes in the A-10 (conference ranking out of 14 teams):
Offensive Strength:  None
Offensive Weakness:  FT Rate (14); Effective FG % (14)
Defensive Strength:  FT Rate (1)
Defensive Weakness:  Offensive Rebound % (14); Effective FG % (12)

Points per Possession and Number of Possessions
Davidson Adj Offense Efficiency - 116.8; 10 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Defense Efficiency - 107.4; 270 in D-1
Davidson Adj Defense Efficiency - 104.9; 224 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Offense Efficiency - 99.6; 239 in D-1
Davidson Adj Tempo - 64.2; 323 in D-1 vs Dukes Adj Tempo - 65.5; 283 in D-1

Miscellaneous
Experience - Davidson 1.90 yrs; 189 in D-1; Dukes 0.74 yrs; 353 in D-1
Average Height - Davidson 78.0"; 46 in D-1; Dukes 77.0"; 161 in D-1

Haslametrics = has the Dukes as 270th in the country.
Davidson is 70th in the country.
Automated Game Preview:  https://haslametrics.com/preview.php?yr=&tid1=4391&tid2=4355&neut=0
Overall Ratings:  http://haslametrics.com/ratings.php

2/14/2022 8:53 am  #2

Re: Game Thread - Davidson College Wildcats (A)

Love watching Coach Mckillop coached teams. Not really physical but disciplined. Motion offense. Screens picks & solid defense. This guy can coach. Second point St Louis dispatch did story on A10 at best a 2 team bid come March. Why? The bottom feeders I.e. Duquesne killing the league. My SLU buddy could not resist to send me the article.

2/14/2022 5:29 pm  #3

Some truth to that, but every year there is a bottom junker team in the A10.   Sad it us, again.

2/14/2022 7:42 pm  #4

Why is Ayers getting all these minutes?

2/14/2022 7:49 pm  #5

down 11 at half time,  not real bad. miss too many shots.

2/14/2022 7:58 pm  #6

Ayers has shown the ability to stuff a stat sheet at times throughout the season. 12,6, and 3 last game. Yes, he has been inconsistent, but I’m not sure who you are insinuating deserves his minutes more than him at this point in the season.

2/14/2022 8:09 pm  #7

Hima got his standard 3 minutes. 2 rebounds altered shots steal & 2 points.I don’t get it.

2/14/2022 8:37 pm  #8

Let’s go Dukes! Let’s take this one!!!

2/14/2022 8:37 pm  #9

hanging in there. just 6 points down.

2/14/2022 8:46 pm  #10

Things get tight, and the whistles turn lop-sided. Not surprising though, this would be a very bad loss for the A10. Proud of our effort tonight, something to build on. Far from perfect, but better.

2/14/2022 8:53 pm  #11

CityDuke wrote:

Things get tight, and the whistles turn lop-sided. Not surprising though, this would be a very bad loss for the A10. Proud of our effort tonight, something to build on. Far from perfect, but better.

Yea, better team effort. closer than I thought it would be at the start.

2/14/2022 9:10 pm  #12

Ironduke81 wrote:

Hima got his standard 3 minutes. 2 rebounds altered shots steal & 2 points.I don’t get it.

I don't understand why Hima doesn't start each game ... at least so that he is in there early to just handle the jump ball.  I don't recall Tre winning any of those, and I don't think he has the length to be effective.  

2/14/2022 9:19 pm  #13

I agree Iron Duke.  Didn't KD say after the last game that Hima would play more?   I didn't see anything in this game that fostered any hope for the future. Same stuff but Primo made more shots tonight.

2/14/2022 9:44 pm  #14

the professor1108 wrote:

I agree Iron Duke.  Didn't KD say after the last game that Hima would play more?   I didn't see anything in this game that fostered any hope for the future. Same stuff but Primo made more shots tonight.

I thought the same thing. Why have a Center oriented offense and not play this guy more?  It's not like we are going anywhere this season and the kid is effective. 

2/14/2022 10:20 pm  #15

I got to see the second half and the good was I did see more ball movement, especially resulting from our guards dishing when they drove, but still too many forced shots and not enough perimeter movement off the ball.  Now, echoing the point made by Iron Duke and the Professor, I didn't see Hima at all on the court.  Hello reporters, please ask WTF with HIMA not getting more minutes when KD said that is what he is doing/going to do.  Are we that weak that we can't challenge his statement when this season is not going anywhere and we have lost 10 straight!!!  Please someone grow a set of balls and grill KD on his post-game on this point!!

2/14/2022 11:45 pm  #16

CityDuke wrote:

Ayers has shown the ability to stuff a stat sheet at times throughout the season. 12,6, and 3 last game. Yes, he has been inconsistent, but I’m not sure who you are insinuating deserves his minutes more than him at this point in the season.

His plus minus is among the worst on the team. Not blaming Ayers he's out there because the coach is lost and doesn't have a clue. Good effort tonight from JJ. I'd let him heave all day. Thirty plus shots a game. Would give the team a chance to win one if he got hot. Spears doesn't look to him enough when there out there together. It's like Johnson doesn't exist when he has the ball. Love how Larson actually moves without the ball unike the rst of the team. Lazy bunch and that's all on the lack of coaching by this staff. Can't wait until they disappear already.

2/15/2022 12:57 am  #17

I'm not impressed with Ayers and don't think he's a legitimate A10 talent. His efficiency numbers are way down from last year at Mercer, which is perhaps an indication he's in over his head at this level, even as his minutes have increased. The eye test tells a similar story. But he's also the second-leading scorer on the team so it's a fair question if there's anyone better who should be playing instead, keeping in mind that this team desperately needs offense. Okani? Doesn't score. Acuff? Best 3-point shooter on the team, but can't create his own shot and there's nobody who can get him the ball for open looks. So I'm not sure there really is anyone better and therein lies the problem with this roster. At 65.1 ppg, this is the lowest-scoring Duquesne team since Nee's first year (64.0). 9.7 assists per game puts them in the bottom 10 (almost the bottom 5) in the NCAAs and would be the second-lowest total in school history--at least in the shot clock era--behind 9.5 in Darelle Porter's dreadful first year. FWIW, both those teams had much higher strength-of-schedule ratings than this year's Dukes team. I'm glad to hear folks saw some positives tonight because right now, this team is rightfully mentioned with some of the worst in Duquesne's awful recent history.

2/15/2022 8:28 am  #18

There are legitimate A-10 players and those not so much so. We have one finisher at the hoop in Tre but no one to consistently get him the ball. Has to get himself and the ball to the hoop on his own for the most part. We have poor ball distribution and that seems to be our biggest issue. A true point guard would make such a huge difference IMO. If I had to name one position for an upgrade it would be that one. Even over the 5 spot. Of course we really need both. Put a Sincere Carry playing at his best on the court right now and I bet this team would have at least 15 wins with the current roster.  Should be our top priority for next season. My 2 cents worth.

2/15/2022 9:16 am  #19

El Presidente wrote:

There are legitimate A-10 players and those not so much so. We have one finisher at the hoop in Tre but no one to consistently get him the ball. Has to get himself and the ball to the hoop on his own for the most part. We have poor ball distribution and that seems to be our biggest issue. A true point guard would make such a huge difference IMO. If I had to name one position for an upgrade it would be that one. Even over the 5 spot. Of course we really need both. Put a Sincere Carry playing at his best on the court right now and I bet this team would have at least 15 wins with the current roster.  Should be our top priority for next season. My 2 cents worth.

Agree, the offense passes poorly all season and a seasoned point guard would have made a difference.

2/15/2022 11:41 am  #20

Ayers is the player I am most puzzled by.

When this team played well in the non-con he was, at times, the most effective overall player. Against Colorado, Bradley, American, & U-C Irvine he was very good. 3 of those teams would do pretty well in the A-10 this year. He also showed some chops in crunch time in those early games; wins & loses. Now, he seems dazed & confused in all facets of the game. 

He has only 16 points, 8 rebounds, & 5 assists while shooting 4-13 over 66 minutes in the last 3 games combined. In 35 minutes against Irvine alone  he went for 24-6-4 while shooting 7-12/2-4/8-8.

He has 42 games of D-1 experience + 2 years at a JUCO. He will be 22 in April. He was both a JUCO All-American & made the All-Tourney team last year in the So-Con.

After 13 games I confidently called him a "slightly above average A-10 starter with another year of eligibility remaining".

Is he playing out of position too often? Have all the lineup changes messed with his head? Have his confidence & will to excel fallen victim to all the losing? Do the 3 stops at 3 schools signal that he has the goods physically but not so much mentally?

2/15/2022 12:46 pm  #21

phil95 wrote:

Ayers is the player I am most puzzled by.

When this team played well in the non-con he was, at times, the most effective overall player. Against Colorado, Bradley, American, & U-C Irvine he was very good. 3 of those teams would do pretty well in the A-10 this year. He also showed some chops in crunch time in those early games; wins & loses. Now, he seems dazed & confused in all facets of the game. 

He has only 16 points, 8 rebounds, & 5 assists while shooting 4-13 over 66 minutes in the last 3 games combined. In 35 minutes against Irvine alone  he went for 24-6-4 while shooting 7-12/2-4/8-8.

He has 42 games of D-1 experience + 2 years at a JUCO. He will be 22 in April. He was both a JUCO All-American & made the All-Tourney team last year in the So-Con.

After 13 games I confidently called him a "slightly above average A-10 starter with another year of eligibility remaining".

Is he playing out of position too often? Have all the lineup changes messed with his head? Have his confidence & will to excel fallen victim to all the losing? Do the 3 stops at 3 schools signal that he has the goods physically but not so much mentally?

I'd say partly all of that plus the whole team under performed at the same time.dragging his game down too.

2/15/2022 12:51 pm  #22

I'm hoping for a good team effort tomorrow against GW. And start Hima and leave him in there till he gets into foul trouble or till he needs a break. Let's see how much he can have an impact if he's really on the court.

2/15/2022 1:05 pm  #23

Hima was out covering a guard(thats another story), but he did steal the ball, it went out of bounds, and he went to the bench.   Pretty much sums up DU hoops 2021-22.

2/15/2022 2:09 pm  #24

I think Hima along with some other bench players should start
Keep them for as long as possible or until the score dictates a
change.
Play away on Monday then play at home tomorrow.  Probably
some tired legs.

Board footera