Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2022 8:14 pm  #1

Team has checked out

It's over.

Expect same effort from the players in remaining games.

There will likely be a mass exodus if a change is not made.  Would be shocked if more than 500 people show up for either home game.

Sad state of affairs on the Bluff.  I hope that there are conversations going on behind the scenes because this is just maddening that we keep ending up here.

2/19/2022 8:23 pm  #2

Re: Team has checked out

Could not agree more!!! These Dambrot supporters are blind !!

2/19/2022 8:24 pm  #3

Even if a change is not made, there will still be a mass exodus.  I heard a comment on the radio broadcast  that these players need to be playing for their scholarships - 'in case the coach want to make some changes next year'.

2/19/2022 8:26 pm  #4

Finally Jarrett and Ray chimed in with the lack of effort by this team.I was hoping Bonaventure would beat them by
40,when the effort is lacking thats what they deserved.EMBARRASING LOSS ON NATIONAL TV.

2/19/2022 8:47 pm  #5

The coach has checked out also. Danny Nee's team played hard, this team just looks like they are just going through the motions. Except for a couple players these guys are not A10 players. I am sad to say there is no hope with this coach. It is time to blow it up.  If DU is serious, they would put up the money to make a change.  Bring in an Archie Miller or Chris Mack. 

2/19/2022 8:57 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

The coach has checked out also. Danny Nee's team played hard, this team just looks like they are just going through the motions. Except for a couple players these guys are not A10 players. I am sad to say there is no hope with this coach. It is time to blow it up.  If DU is serious, they would put up the money to make a change.  Bring in an Archie Miller or Chris Mack. 

I know you have gotten on me repeatedly for my dislike of the coach the past two or three years. But now you understand my displeasure. My fifth and final daughter  all DU graduate’s along with me and my wife who is friends with a few of players, says they can’t stand the coach !! Past his prime !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2/19/2022 9:01 pm  #7

Went to dinner. Recorded game. Pissed off I did not bet against Duquesne. Dambrot has checked out. The President & AD are much to smart & accomplished not to pull the trigger. It’s Miller  time👍 

Last edited by Ironduke81 (2/19/2022 9:04 pm)

2/19/2022 9:05 pm  #8

Dead on!  Keeping Dambrot next year will not bring anything but a repeat of this season.  The effort on national tv was beyond embarrassing and will only bring harm to recruiting efforts.  Blowing it up is the only way, not really any players worth keeping in my opinion.  My main concern is will anyone even want to coach here?  It is sad how losing teams/programs always show the stars and moments of their once proud history.  Talking about great teams of the 1950's and making the tourney with Norm Nixon back in 1977 won't do one bit for recruiting or reviving a virtually extinct fan base.  Winning with a strong university commitment to developing an annual contender in the A-10 is the only way things will change.  Many thought Coach Dambrot would get the job done, including myself, but I believe I was wrong and change is needed.  Sad to me how St. Bonaventure can recruit good players surrounded in a boring campus community while we can't in a city with plenty of atmosphere and activities.  GO DUKES!

2/19/2022 9:16 pm  #9

Why do we continually have these emotional reactions after every game as if our team is magically different than we were a game ago? This team is just not good enough. There is nothing Archie or any other coach in the country could do with this group of players.   We all agree this recruiting class was a miss. I hope Dambrot blows it up again, and hits with the next class. If you look at his entire career, this season is a complete one-off. If this continues into next year, then we can talk. But I cannot fathom how many of you want to start completely over YET AGAIN, after we were so close with Dambrot just a couple of seasons ago (without a home court).  Our shiny new arena is nice, but I am definitely not as confident as some of you are that it will lure a great coach to the bluff where the previous umpteen coaches have been relieved of their duties. Level heads please prevail!!

2/19/2022 9:27 pm  #10

CityDuke wrote:

Why do we continually have these emotional reactions after every game as if our team is magically different than we were a game ago? This team is just not good enough. There is nothing Archie or any other coach in the country could do with this group of players.   We all agree this recruiting class was a miss. I hope Dambrot blows it up again, and hits with the next class. If you look at his entire career, this season is a complete one-off. If this continues into next year, then we can talk.

But I cannot fathom how many of you want to start completely over YET AGAIN, after we were so close with Dambrot just a couple of seasons ago (without a home court).  Our shiny new arena is nice, but I am definitely not as confident as some of you are that it will lure a great coach to the bluff where the previous umpteen coaches have been relieved of their duties. Level heads please prevail!!

Which recruiting class has been a success for this coach ? Please quit with the 21-9 season. They started 10-0 versus the weakest competition and finished 11-9 against a very weak A-10 league. Get real with your assessment of this coach at Duquesne. You can be proud of a 12 game losing streak, but don’t push that on the rest of us !!!!!

2/19/2022 9:33 pm  #11

City Duke, you state how are we going to start over again with a new coach. Riddle me this, if this coach doesn’t start over in year six, where does that leave us ?

2/19/2022 9:36 pm  #12

I agree that the new arena won't attract any coach with a good pedigree.  Duquesne's head coaching position is likely viewed as career threatening in basketball circles.  Honestly I don't see keeping Dambrot as the right move but finding a replacement is no guarantee of success either.  If I was the AD I would be scouring all programs to see if I could luck out and get an up and coming coach before he becomes well known.  That may mean taking a big chance on somebody that is a strong recruiter with only a few winning seasons at a smaller conference.  If Dambrot is kept and turns it around next year I would be more than happy to say I was wrong.  One thing we all share is we're sick and tired of losing!  I was born in 1970, my good memories are few to say the least.  I've been a season ticket holder since I graduated in 1993 and Derrick Alston/Aaron Jackson have given me my good memories  My biggest fear is Dambrot is fired and we bring in another Scott Edgar.  

2/19/2022 9:46 pm  #13

Do you guys realize how many coaches would jump at the opportunity of making a million dollars a year, coming to a city that is thirsting for a winning basketball team with the opportunity of playing in a packed PPG arena if they are successful? Quit down playing the opportunity of turning DU basketball around and settling on someone that does not have the vision or desire to accomplish this mighty task.

2/19/2022 9:49 pm  #14

Will the administration/board cut the $2M buyout check to part ways after this season?

2/19/2022 9:51 pm  #15

I hope you're right about coaches wanting to come to Duquesne and make millions while trying to turn this around.  I just look at how last coaching search we didn't get much interest from the candidates we wanted before Dambrot agreed to take the position.

2/19/2022 9:55 pm  #16

DOUGHEJO wrote:

I hope you're right about coaches wanting to come to Duquesne and make millions while trying to turn this around.  I just look at how last coaching search we didn't get much interest from the candidates we wanted before Dambrot agreed to take the position.

No coaches knew we were serious about trying to turn this around, until the new administration came in and gave Dambrot everything he wanted. The word is out with the backing of the administration that we want to be successful!!!

2/19/2022 10:00 pm  #17

Box & One wrote:

Will the administration/board cut the $2M buyout check to part ways after this season?

A competent Lawfirm could negotiate a settlement at 500 to 750. He is not getting 2million. An attorney would have a field day against Dambrot. Just go to former players statements. In Gormley I trust. Pull the trigger. It’s Miller Time👍

2/19/2022 11:31 pm  #18

Its difficult to recruit when your coach is on the hotseat and he has 2 years remaining on his contract.
Duquesne has difficult times ahead deciding what to do about this coach.A nationally televised
embarrassment by the teams effort hit a nerve with folks .I dont think KD can bring in a new team
through portal and be successful and I dont think Duquesne wants to spend money to buy out KDs
contract.The offseason will be much more interesting than this disaster of a baskeball season.There
always seem to be drama every 5-6 years associated. with Duquesne basketball.

2/20/2022 7:12 am  #19

If you still think the AD is not part of the problem you are foolish.

2/20/2022 8:43 am  #20

A83 wrote:

I have outlined in detail many times why I don’t like this coach. His recruiting; the quality of his recruits and retention rate and graduation rate. His offensive sets are terrible. People say he is a defensive coach, I personally don’t see it. His lack of in game coaching is just awful. On top of all this, the administration has given Dambrot more resources than any previous coach. So what is it that you would like Mr Harper to do ?

2/20/2022 9:31 am  #21

I personally think this season is taking its toll on Dambrot in a way that he will make a decision to resign on his own.

He is not a young coach, this is his last stop and he may decide that resigning and retiring is the best option.

I can see a young coach like Chris Mack wanting to return to the A10, where he would want to repair the damage to his coaching reputation after failing at Louisville.  He knows he needs to take a job where he can show he can be successful at turning over a program like Duquesne to get back at a P5 job.  If I were Harper I would be on the phone with him today.  

Archie Miller is in the same situation, but NC State is struggling right now and it wouldn't surprise me if he goes there since he is an alum.  Even if the opening isn't until next year, Miller will move there eventually.  I don't see Mack being in demand like that anytime soon.  Besides, an unemployed Sean Miller may return the favor and be a part of Mack's staff and bring on a young guy like TJ McConnell and groom him to take over in the future. 

2/20/2022 10:24 am  #22

Wildwood13 wrote:

A83 wrote:

I have outlined in detail many times why I don’t like this coach. His recruiting; the quality of his recruits and retention rate and graduation rate. His offensive sets are terrible. People say he is a defensive coach, I personally don’t see it. His lack of in game coaching is just awful. On top of all this, the administration has given Dambrot more resources than any previous coach. So what is it that you would like Mr Harper to do ?

He hired him.  Ask him.  Or extend your AD search further than assistants at X and Dayton.

2/20/2022 11:07 am  #23

A83 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

A83 wrote:

He hired him.  Ask him.  Or extend your AD search further than assistants at X and Dayton.

When Harper hired Dambrot, all the pundits thought it was an excellent selection as well as most on this board. Duquesne is not an easy place to succeed in basketball. So basically you are saying he gets one chance ?

2/20/2022 11:21 am  #24

Wildwood13 wrote:

A83 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

When Harper hired Dambrot, all the pundits thought it was an excellent selection as well as most on this board. Duquesne is not an easy place to succeed in basketball. So basically you are saying he gets one chance ?

You are being proven right with your criticism of Dambrot.   I just don’t understand how you are giving an absolute pass to the man who hired him.  And you though he was bad at the time of the hiring.  So let’s give the AD a pass. 

Why do you think he can do a better job with the second hire?    We will see come April.   He is going to pass out resumes everywhere. 

I respect peoples opinions but honestly how you all give this man a pass is beyond me.   When he came here it was a short staffed bunch of people that punch out at 4pm.   Now it’s a bloated department with people that still punch out at 4.

2/20/2022 1:12 pm  #25

Harper is VP of Athletics not AD.
He probably has a seat at the table with the Prez when
the senior staff meet.
He raised 40 plus million to renovate Palumbo.
I would assume  he has continued to fund raise to put a roof on McCloskey for the FB team.
He appears to run a clean department. I believe KD mentioned that the mbb had the highest
GPA in school's history.
I wonder if the Prez cares that much about the mbb. I suspect the Prez cares more about the medical
school.

Board footera