Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2022 12:31 pm  #76

Re: Team has checked out

DennisC91 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

People will come to see a winning program. Knock off a few mid majors in OOC and people will come to see Canisius, especially when the Dukes are mentioned as a bubble team.

Oh my, Tejas, if that isn't channeling Brian Colleary in 1992, I don't know what is. How did that work out again?

I just can't wrap my head around the idea  that we can't compete in the A-10. How can that possibly be?  It has to be more about the way we do things here than about the competition. If we had done things the right way the last 4 decades we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now. Is it really too late to start now? How is it so difficult? If we can't get it right then let basketball die a merciful death like baseball and whatever other sports on the bluff. 

Last edited by El Presidente (2/23/2022 12:32 pm)

2/23/2022 12:57 pm  #77

anderson wrote:

Hey new guy here. I am a Niagara University grad and a soon to be proud Duquesne parent as my daughter is deposited for the fall of 22. I will tell you this you do not want to move down to the MAAC level where my alma mater is. The conference is about to be blown up which the shifting going on. NU would kill to be Duquesne and the alums all dream of ways of getting to the A10.I look at your league and almost all schools are like Duquesne minus a few UMass/URI/GMU. You have resources and a great city. Things will turn for DU.The revenue and exposure are so valuable that the A10 brings. I look forwrd to being a Dukes fan going forward even if I am a Niagara alum !! Go Dukes !!..... by the way what about Wojo as replacement for KD ? Maybe the Marquette gig was expectations just a bit unrealistic ?

Welcome aboard my friend!  

2/23/2022 1:30 pm  #78

El Presidente wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

People will come to see a winning program. Knock off a few mid majors in OOC and people will come to see Canisius, especially when the Dukes are mentioned as a bubble team.

Oh my, Tejas, if that isn't channeling Brian Colleary in 1992, I don't know what is. How did that work out again?

I just can't wrap my head around the idea  that we can't compete in the A-10. How can that possibly be?  It has to be more about the way we do things here than about the competition. If we had done things the right way the last 4 decades we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now. Is it really too late to start now? How is it so difficult? If we can't get it right then let basketball die a merciful death like baseball and whatever other sports on the bluff. 

My suggestion would be hire an assist coach from a A-10 or higher league. Often over-looked. Consider Jamie Dixon was the Assist. Coach and the Admin. didn't want to give him a chance. It took the players to convince them to hire him. Same thing at Butler with Brad Stevens, Admin wanted to look elsewhere, but the players insisted to give him a chance. Both took over winning programs, but left their mark on the program.  DU should start looking at successful major programs and start interviewing Assist. Head Coaches that would just jump at a chance to get the Head Coach job even at DU.  Probably would cost less too.  Just saying. If DU is ever to be competitive again it's going to be the coach first. Think St. Bonnie would be who they are today just by the players, or the coach?

2/23/2022 1:38 pm  #79

Forget dropping down, just get better and become a top tier A-10 team!!  No surrender my friends!!

2/23/2022 5:51 pm  #80

Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry to say my daughters friends are hockey players. That being said said I will bring up one point that a school like Bona has over DU. That is community support from people that have no ties to the university. The Oleanaders filled the Reilly Center even in bad times and support the program totally. With all that Pittsburgh has, it seems the community support might be a big missing piece.

2/23/2022 6:54 pm  #81

anderson wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry to say my daughters friends are hockey players. That being said said I will bring up one point that a school like Bona has over DU. That is community support from people that have no ties to the university. The Oleanaders filled the Reilly Center even in bad times and support the program totally. With all that Pittsburgh has, it seems the community support might be a big missing piece.

Agreed. I see very little community support for the Dukes. A middling of students and some die hard alums like myself are just about it these days. If a particularly big game is hyped and there's a red out you might see 2500 in attendance. It's embarrassing that we can't fill a 3500 seat arena in Pittsburgh. Totally believe whatever marketing department exists does little or nothing to promote Duquesne basketball. Probably should be a huge house cleaning. It really couldn't be a much worse scenario here IMO. Doubt that I will ever see an A-10 championship banner hanging in the Coop unless a major change takes place. Welcome to the board!!

Last edited by El Presidente (2/23/2022 6:56 pm)

2/23/2022 9:14 pm  #82

Even with an embarrassing second half, I think tonight shows the team hasn’t checked out. They want to get better and they want to win. Let’s be honest, there’s nothing left to play for this year. Maybe we beat another bad team in the first round. Perhaps we even pull off an upset in the second round. Anything more than that would take be an absolute shock. Winning the conference tourney might get us a Disney movie. Having said that the team was competing tonight. It’s notable that the lineup was much different than it’s been and I can’t help but think the changes are because of attitude. The bottom line is it worked for a half.

What concerns me more than anything about Dambrot going forward has been the lack of adjustments. As long as he’s been here we’ve been a second half team. It frequently led to frustrations wondering why we couldn’t show up ready to play right from the tip. We regularly made good second half adjustments and they paid off in many second half comebacks though. Those adjustments have been notably absent this year. For those who want to say the game has past Dambrot by I think that is more relevant than just about anything and I haven’t really seen it mentioned.

2/24/2022 12:08 am  #83

PistolPete wrote:

Forget dropping down, just get better and become a top tier A-10 team!!  No surrender my friends!!

right because that has been so successful the last 45 years

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/24/2022 9:40 am  #84

Churchill........."Never, never surrender!!"

2/24/2022 8:25 pm  #85

anderson wrote:

I'm sure I'll get a lot of pushback but Pittsburgh sport fans are terrible. Oh, they will come out to see a winner. But when a team is on the down and out the fans vanish. See Pittsburgh Pirates, Pitt football, Pitt basketball, Steelers in the '80's. You want the non-affiliated fan to attend, go to the dance 5 years in a row...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

2/24/2022 10:06 pm  #86

KenOTR73 wrote:

anderson wrote:

I'm sure I'll get a lot of pushback but Pittsburgh sport fans are terrible. Oh, they will come out to see a winner. But when a team is on the down and out the fans vanish. See Pittsburgh Pirates, Pitt football, Pitt basketball, Steelers in the '80's. You want the non-affiliated fan to attend, go to the dance 5 years in a row...

I think it was John Brodie that said of the San Francisco football fans. "These fans are behind us win or tie". If you win, they will come. If you lose maybe not so much.   I like going to Pirate games in the middle of summer.  Great atmosphere, no team is out yet, no one game definds a season, and to keep it in perspective, only one team is going to win the World Series. It take most of the season before you hate your team. College basketball has less games and a shorter season and nearly every game matters. Getting mad starts early. LOL.

2/25/2022 8:03 pm  #87

DennisC91 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

1.  (not to defend Colleary, but I got it from a good source back in the day) that the big schools WVU, Rutgers and Temple were looking to leave the A 10 then, and Colleary did what he could do to find a decent landing spot!
2. Remember the MCC? Two of those loser programs in that "below the A 10 Conference" were Dayton and Xavier!  Yep those two programs sucked in the almost 30 years since then. Never moved up to better conferences, remained loser programs like Duquesne!!!!    You are so right! Keep beating your head against a wall, in a conference where you can't compete and you will NEVER get any better!!!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/25/2022 10:36 pm  #88

Tejas_Duke wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

1.  (not to defend Colleary, but I got it from a good source back in the day) that the big schools WVU, Rutgers and Temple were looking to leave the A 10 then, and Colleary did what he could do to find a decent landing spot!
2. Remember the MCC? Two of those loser programs in that "below the A 10 Conference" were Dayton and Xavier!  Yep those two programs sucked in the almost 30 years since then. Never moved up to better conferences, remained loser programs like Duquesne!!!!    You are so right! Keep beating your head against a wall, in a conference where you can't compete and you will NEVER get any better!!!

I am not for leaving the A10 at all.

But the move to the MCC by Colleary was not a bone headed move. Totally agree.   People don’t know that Bonas and St Joes were planning that jump as well in the next season.    Bonas from A10 and Joes from independent like independent LaSalle.  LaSalle and DU  joined together. 

People forget our good friends at Dayton screwed us in that move.   X and Dayton were instrumental in getting DU to join.   And then Dayton bolted mid season to the ill fated Great Midwest conference.    That left X nervous and looking for a new home.  With X nervous, DU was luckily able to get back in A10 the next season.

The MCC was trying to mirror the Big East with a private University “Catholic” conference of teams in the Midwest.   Who knows what happens if Dayton stays?   Maybe they lure in Marquette and St Louis.   Then you get the conference we dream of being in.

Dayton screwed that pooch and has been paying the price ever since.

Great Midwest folds in 4 years and Dayton and X join A10.   

The move to the MCC was in no way a move to a lower conference like the MAAC that a few people want.

Last edited by A83 (2/25/2022 10:47 pm)

2/26/2022 1:35 pm  #89

You're right, the MCC was not the MAAC by any stretch but it was a step down to a conference Duquesne thought it could be more competitive in. The A10 (which only had nine teams after Penn State's jump to the Big 10) was the 9th-ranked conference in college basketball in 1991-92 vs the MCC (which only had six teams) ranked 13th. That gap widened to 8th and 14th in the year we played in the MCC. Duquesne thought it was better off in a league of private schools where basketball was the top sport rather than competing with powerhouse state schools like UMass (one of the best teams in the country at the time), Temple and WVU, all of whom made the NCAAs the year before Duquesne joined the MCC. Colleary did say in an interview at the time, much as Tejas Duke said in this thread, that he thought Duquesne would have a better record in such a conference and people would therefore come out to see the Dukes because they were winning rather than packing the Palumbo to see a nationally-ranked A10 team. The UMass game in 91-92 was a sellout or pretty close to it. WVU was always a big draw, so was Temple to a somewhat lesser extent. 

Anyway, I don't think the MCC was going to lure in Marquette and St. Louis as those two schools had just bolted the conference at the end of the 90-91 season. Duquesne and LaSalle were added as replacements. A more astute AD might have thought something was up when schools like that wanted out of a conference that he wanted into, but it didn't apparently occur to Colleary that anything was wrong until Dayton, as you said, followed suit (which cost the MCC its automatic NCAA bid) and he soon found himself begging to get back into the A10 and suing the MCC for not keeping its promises of stability and expansion. St. Joe's and LaSalle were not independent schools either. St. Joe's of course was in the A10 and LaSalle had been dominating the MAAC and looking to step up in class. Anyway, two years after Duquesne rejoined the A10, Dayton, Xavier and LaSalle rejoined them there, along with Virginia Tech, replacing Rutgers and WVU who followed their football programs to the Big East. Best of both worlds for Duquesne except basketball became more of an afterthought than ever under Murray's distinguished leadership.

As for the MCC, it talked of adding Bradley, Creighton, Drake and St. Joe's and eventually convincing Notre Dame (member of the MCC for everything but football and basketball) to join for basketball. None of that happened and it ended up with a hodgepodge of minor state schools instead: UIC, Wisconsins-Green Bay and -Milwaukee, Northern Illinois, Cleveland State, Wright State, and eventually transitioned into the Horizon League.

2/26/2022 5:05 pm  #90

DennisC91 wrote:

that he thought Duquesne would have a better record in such a conference and people would therefore come out to see the Dukes because they were winning rather than packing the Palumbo to see a nationally-ranked A10 team. .

And in that misbegotten year, the Palumbo saw one of its five greatest moments, defeating 18th ranked Xavier in front of a packed, screaming house.  I still remember Pete Gihlen and team trudging off the court to roars of "Over-Rated......Over Rated....." 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/27/2022 2:01 pm  #91

Tejas_Duke wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

that he thought Duquesne would have a better record in such a conference and people would therefore come out to see the Dukes because they were winning rather than packing the Palumbo to see a nationally-ranked A10 team. .

And in that misbegotten year, the Palumbo saw one of its five greatest moments, defeating 18th ranked Xavier in front of a packed, screaming house.  I still remember Pete Gihlen and team trudging off the court to roars of "Over-Rated......Over Rated....." 

Two of its five greatest moments as that was also the year the Dukes beat 10th-ranked Florida State at Palumbo. That season also featured a double-digit home win over a Big 10 team (Penn State) and a road win over Notre Dame. And yet they could only go 5-9 in the MCC...

Board footera