Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2022 3:14 pm  #1

A10 Coaching Carousel

Here's what we have so far:

Rhode Island:  OUT - David Cox; IN - Archie Miller
UMass:  OUT - Matt McCall; IN - Frank Martin

George Washington:  OUT -Jamion Christian; IN - Chris Caputo
La Salle:  OUT - Ashley Howard; IN - Fran Dunphy
Fordham:  OUT - Kyle Neptune

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (4/21/2022 12:03 pm)

3/21/2022 4:23 pm  #2

Re: A10 Coaching Carousel

3/23/2022 2:01 pm  #4

He's going to leave SBU for UMass while they are in the NIT semi-finals?   How much does he make at SBU, like $200K?

3/23/2022 2:55 pm  #5

That report may have been premature; apparently SBU trying to pony up and match the offer.  Breaking into the Monks retirement fund to match the UMASS offer.  NIT could be a nice send off for Schmidt and pretty much his whole team; which leads o to believe he’s gone after the NIT.  Could be tough times ahead trying to rebuild in Olean.

3/23/2022 3:28 pm  #6

levon1975 wrote:

That report may have been premature; apparently SBU trying to pony up and match the offer. Breaking into the Monks retirement fund to match the UMASS offer. NIT could be a nice send off for Schmidt and pretty much his whole team; which leads o to believe he’s gone after the NIT. Could be tough times ahead trying to rebuild in Olean.

I believe that Schmidt has been undervalued for many years. Pitt would have done well to hire him as most on that message board seem to agree at this point. My second favorite A-10 coach behind Bob Mckillop. Hard to believe that Mckillop is earning only around $400,000. A great bargain.

3/23/2022 3:36 pm  #7

townsonkid wrote:

He's going to leave SBU for UMass while they are in the NIT semi-finals?   How much does he make at SBU, like $200K?

His current deal has him at $780K + incentives.

3/23/2022 3:41 pm  #8

El Presidente wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

That report may have been premature; apparently SBU trying to pony up and match the offer. Breaking into the Monks retirement fund to match the UMASS offer. NIT could be a nice send off for Schmidt and pretty much his whole team; which leads o to believe he’s gone after the NIT. Could be tough times ahead trying to rebuild in Olean.

I believe that Schmidt has been undervalued for many years. Pitt would have done well to hire him as most on that message board seem to agree at this point. My second favorite A-10 coach behind Bob Mckillop. Hard to believe that Mckillop is earning only around $400,000. A great bargain.

McKillop's guaranteed compensation is in excess of $1 million per year. He & the school have publicly admitted this.

Most of the A-10 coaching compensation figures reported here recently are very wrong.  In almost every case these gents are pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars more than their quoted salaries. 

3/23/2022 3:57 pm  #9

I agree with much of the above. For example, ECU was saying Joe Dooley was making $900K+. As it turns out the school was paying him $400K for the last 4 years. The rest was from the Pirate Club and IMG (radio and TV shows). ECU was supposed to pay him a one-time bonus of $250K for year 5 and decided to fire him instead. I don't know if this is the primary inspiration, but the school looks like it's making a bigger investment than it really is. Of course if the team does poorly, the school looks like it made a bad investment.

3/23/2022 4:23 pm  #10

phil95 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

McKillop's guaranteed compensation is in excess of $1 million per year. He & the school have publicly admitted this.

Most of the A-10 coaching compensation figures reported here recently are very wrong.  In almost every case these gents are pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars more than their quoted salaries. 

Glad to hear and hope it's accurate. Mckillop is worth every penny and more. Does he ever have a really bad year such as we did this past season? Seems like he could have landed a much more lucrative deal somewhere with a P5 school years ago. Guess there's not room for everybody at the top or he may just be totally satisfied right where he is.

3/23/2022 4:38 pm  #11

Looks like UMass has set its sights on Frank Martin, formerly head coach at South Carolina and Kansas St.  Also was Ron Everhart's assistant at Northeastern.

3/23/2022 6:52 pm  #12

Mark Schmidt is way better than to get interest from just UMASS.He was a assistant at Xaiver for many
years.Xaiver would have been wise to have hired Schmidt instead of sleezy Miller

3/25/2022 5:27 pm  #13

3/25/2022 5:39 pm  #14

Sorry I told Yinz guys  this hire 72 hours ago. Lasalle job looks like Fran Dumpreys of Temple. A10 really picking up their game. Hopefully, 6th major conference. Let’s go Dukes & Coach Dambrot. Greatness occurs when your back is up against the wall. Step up the recruiting.👍

3/28/2022 5:09 pm  #15

Frank Martin is getting $1 million base salary, $1.7 million average over five years, from UMass. Car stipend, country club dues, use of UMass facilities for running basketball camps, retention bonuses for staying beyond checkpoints during this five years, and incentive bonuses for athletic and academic performance. It may take several weeks for full details. His last year at South Carolina he made $3.2 million.

3/29/2022 9:13 am  #16

El Presidente wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I like Mooney at Richmond best.  Obviously McKillop is in a class by himself (they named the damn arena after him right?) but after Bob, I'd take Mooney.  

3/29/2022 10:22 am  #17

Martin at UMass will be nothing positive for them.   He's over.   And Fran Dunphy?   Are you kidding me, he's 73 y/o.
Why would anyone believe coaches on their downswing will make the A10 better?   Is the KD effect spreading across the conference?

3/29/2022 12:07 pm  #18

townsonkid wrote:

Martin at UMass will be nothing positive for them.   He's over.   And Fran Dunphy?   Are you kidding me, he's 73 y/o.
Why would anyone believe coaches on their downswing will make the A10 better?   Is the KD effect spreading across the conference?

Just a rumor in the Philly 5 basketball arena. After all he is in the Lasalle hall of fame. Thanks for your expertise as always. By the way how is Coach Rick Pitino working out. 69 years old, social security & Medicare eligible. 

3/29/2022 12:29 pm  #19

You're welcome.

3/29/2022 9:58 pm  #20

Styles1229 wrote:

El Presidente wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

I like Mooney at Richmond best.  Obviously McKillop is in a class by himself (they named the damn arena after him right?) but after Bob, I'd take Mooney.  

Can't really argue that one with you. I like Mooney a lot myself. Good to see him rebound from some leaner years and a fan base who weren't happy with him.

4/04/2022 7:26 am  #21

4/04/2022 8:15 am  #22

Caputo strong recruiting ties in Florida. Again with the addition of Coaches Miller & Martin the A10 should be a very formidable conference. As was the case with the ACC this year the bottom feeders in the A10  have to step up their non conference wins. Hopefully, the Dukes strike gold via the portal transfer this spring. Lasalle should fill the last open position within the next week. 

4/05/2022 7:03 pm  #23

Ironduke81 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Just a rumor in the Philly 5 basketball arena. After all he is in the Lasalle hall of fame. Thanks for your expertise as always. By the way how is Coach Rick Pitino working out. 69 years old, social security & Medicare eligible. 

Oh well Lasalle hires a 73 year old coach today. Who? Just like I told you Archie Miller, Frank Martin & now a 73 year old coach at Lasalle. It’s sooo sooo hard being me😂

Last edited by Ironduke81 (4/05/2022 7:51 pm)

4/06/2022 6:56 am  #24

4/07/2022 1:20 pm  #25

Dunphy is considerably older that KD. I really can't imagine what energy he can bring to the table. Who knows? He might do a great job. I would be looking for a young mid-forties assistant coach from a strong P5 program.

Board footera