Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2022 7:19 am  #1

Single Jeopardy - Dukes Big Men - Starts With M

Granmudder's Post Brings Back Memories (Mostly Painful)

Since this is my post -  my rules -  we will use Old Monetary Values

$100 -  Dukes Big Man Who Left School to Become a Forest Ranger
Who Was Dan Maliagnni (6'11 from Western Beaver -  here same time as Murray M)

$200 -  Dukes Big Man who was a 7'4 German Compatriot of Ardnt Neuhaus
Who Was Rolf Mayr

$300 -  Dukes Big Man - Subjected to "Off His Afro Call"
Who Was Ray Milligan
Officials can point to a player's leg etc and say "Off His Leg"  I remember one call against Ray where the ref pointed to his head and said "off his head.

$400 - Dukes Big Man who Scored 2 Career Varsity Points
Who Was Murray Meikenhous
Although to be fair to Murray under today's rules it would be 3 -  was from WAY DOWNTOWN

$500 -  Dukes Big Man Who Was Cult Icon From Chester High
Who Was Fred Moon!!!
Fred actually had a decent Senior Season -- At times I wondered if Hima might be "Another Fred Moon" but given the present situation and the win now urgency staff probably can't wait.

4/28/2022 7:31 am  #2

Re: Single Jeopardy - Dukes Big Men - Starts With M

What about Neil Hood from Edgar's years?

4/28/2022 8:28 am  #3

Don't forget Martins Abele; a one year wonder from I think Latvia.
I remember Rolf Meyer from Germany, liked his beer and sometimes struggled with with walk back to the dorms from Sandroni's.  It probably wasn't easy keeping a 7'4" guy upright in that condition.  

4/28/2022 8:31 am  #4

Who was the big guy who was involved in some kind of shady financial scam with partners in the States and I think Africa? 

4/28/2022 8:35 am  #5

levon1975 wrote:

Who was the big guy who was involved in some kind of shady financial scam with partners in the States and I think Africa? 

Simon Ogunlesi (sp?)

4/28/2022 8:49 am  #6

Econ69 wrote:

What about Neil Hood from Edgar's years?

All of the Players I mentioned had last names that started with M --  In regards to Neil Hood -  There is a small college in Maryland (Hood College)  one of my former Co-Workers was a graduate from there --  I used to tease her about being a Hood-Lum!!!  Maybe Neil should have went THERE and Told People "Hey the School is Named after ME!!!!

DU has had NO Shortage of Mediocre Post Play Over the Years!!

4/28/2022 10:41 am  #7

MikeR wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Simon Ogunlesi (sp?)

Yes, that was the name! 

4/28/2022 10:43 am  #8

I like the M theme, Skeptic Al, but think you should extend it to first names so as to include Martins Abele and everyone's favorite Kentucky transfer, Morakinyo Williams. Didn't Rolf Mayr become a Lutheran minister or something? I had to look up Sandroni's. I knew it as Molly's my freshman year (Loafer's sometime after that), which was Rolf's lone year with the Dukes. His career stats show that he played in 12 games that year, starting one. If memory serves me correctly, that was the home game against Temple late in the season. Temple was No. 1 in the country, 23-1, their lone loss by 1 at UNLV, they had just demolished a good North Carolina team in Chapel Hill four days earlier before avoiding an upset against WVU in Morgantown two nights after that. They beat the Dukes by 40 in Philly earlier in the season. With nothing to lose, Satalin decided to start Rolf against their twin towers of Duane Causwell (7-0) and Ramon Rivas (6-10), neither of whom was their best interior player; that was Tim Perry, who would be the 7th pick in that year's draft. I was home for spring break and missed the game, but don't think it went too well for Rolf. According to the wire story, Temple jumped out to a 30-10 lead, was up 26 by the half, eventually built the lead to 43 in the second half and coasted to a 94-55 win.

And yes, lots of bad to mediocre post players in Dukes history. That's why I cringe a little every time someone on this board suggests we're just a talented big away from A10 title/NCAA tourney bid contention. Tough player to find in general, but even harder when you're Duquesne.

4/28/2022 12:02 pm  #9

Dennis "Can DO"  I'll even add an asterisk and a special dispensation for Maurice "MO" Drinks *- 

Mo was a JUCO who signed (but never played here)  DU reportedly beat out UNLV for his services -  back then JUCO's were really relevant and Tark got more than his share.

I remember some graffitti in one of the elevators at Rockwell Hall saying --  Where is Mo Drinks?

4/28/2022 5:14 pm  #10

DennisC91 wrote:

I had to look up Sandroni's. I knew it as Molly's my freshman year (Loafer's sometime after that)

I always like hearing about the revolving door of bars around campus. Looks like that one is now the bar portion of Milano’s. I celebrated my 21st there. I was supposed to have a midterm the day after my birthday. So I was going to postpone celebrating until the weekend. Then Duquesne cancelled classes for the first time in like 15 years. So me and my crew trudged down the hill through the snow. About the only thing I remember the rest of the night was asking the bartender “aren’t you going to card me?” To which he replied “so I guess you’re legal now.”

4/28/2022 8:32 pm  #11

Mason and Mabins.

4/28/2022 9:31 pm  #12

Mason and Mabins.  I am sure you mean EEEE-Rick (Eriq)  Mason  recruited by Scott Edgar 

Last edited by grammudder (4/28/2022 9:42 pm)

4/29/2022 7:08 am  #13

Yep and I'm thinking Leroy(?) Mabins.

4/29/2022 9:50 am  #14

Andre Marhold; I know he was only about 6'6" but he was our center at one time!  One of the more interesting back stories; and we've had a few.  

4/29/2022 10:35 am  #15

Didn't LeRoy Mabins used to sing the national anthem at Dukes games on occasion? Better singer than basketball player as I recall. My junior or senior year, me and The Duke's sports editor got courtside passes for the Dapper Dan game at the Civic Arena. Got to meet Coach K, who was way more polite and friendly than some of the professional reporters covering the game. But anyway, many of the Dukes players were milling around at courtside during the game. Leroy appeared, white shirt and tie, black dress pants, as was his custom (like Rolf Mayr, I think he was also ticketed for divinity school) and a bunch of autograph-seeking kids surrounded him. We asked one of the kids who got his autograph if he knew who that was. He just shrugged and walked away.

4/29/2022 11:00 am  #16

Just remembered an "M" name from my days on campus.  How about Rege Malady from Elizabeth-Forward High! Not too shabby a 6'10" flop from yesteryear.  Nice guy, but not a stellar hooper.

4/29/2022 1:09 pm  #17

John Moore probably would have played center if KD was his coach.

Board footera