Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2023 3:30 pm  #1

The Way too Early Recruiting Agenda

I know we are just over halfway into an amazing fun and exciting year that we all hope just keeps growing and producing wins.  But its never too early to look at recruiting. We have a week off to rest and have some time on our hands so the idle mind of mine took to thinking?

If my math is correct we have 5 Graduating or leaving Rotroff, Gunn, Brewer and Reece with 1 Easley transfer.
So that makes 5 available schorlarships to use for recruiting.  I am hoping like many here that we do not have any departures but we all know with the transfer portal that is not likely to happen.  However for this purpose lets just go with 5 for now.  So what are your thoughts or wishes for how we should use those 5.  Here is my take in the order of need first to fifth.
[list=1]
[*]true point guard preferably from the portal who can score and distribute and be PG1. I know we have Rozier returning but although he is great to have he is a pass first PG who’s offensive production is limited by his height. I believe Carney will be a big help here but think he is more of a shooting guard than point.
[*]Power Forward. With the loss of Gunn that leaves Williams as the only true PF on the roster. I think we need another PF who can rebound and shoot it at least from mid range as well as possibly from three. I prefer a Portal player here.
[*]Small Forward. With the possibility of Hronsky being the only true small forward who has played any significant minutes a 6-6 or 6-7 small all around player would help immensely.  Clark can play here but is a bit undersized. McGriff could possibly fill this role but from what I have seen he’s more of a PG than small forward. I would take either a HS or Prep player here but of course a proven portal player is always a good option.
[*]Shooting Guard. You can never have enough good shooters in the A-10. Get the best available although you would think Grant, Clark, and Carney would ideally be the three.  Maybe a Prep School player who might be willing to red shirt could be a possibility.
[*]True Center. Some may think with the players that leave Reece and Rotroff that this might be a bigger priority.  However I feel that Barre and Dixon are very capable of taking this position to the next level but of course another player to compete and throw in the mix is always good. A Portal again Hey 6-11 center  would be my first option but a Prep School is good also.
[/list]
Ok that is my list and guess what I picked every position.  Let me know your thoughts on this list and feel free to pile on or make one of your own.
Go Dukes!

Last edited by Motor (1/15/2023 7:14 am)

1/15/2023 10:08 am  #2

Re: The Way too Early Recruiting Agenda

We have 5 leaving but we have 10 that can return with Rozier, Clark, Grant, Carney, Barba, McGriff, Hronsky, Dixon, Barrie and Reese. If these 10 are all on scholarship which I believe they were all announced as if they were.

1/15/2023 11:22 am  #3

WashPaRick wrote:

We have 5 leaving but we have 10 that can return with Rozier, Clark, Grant, Carney, Barba, McGriff, Hronsky, Dixon, Barrie and Reese. If these 10 are all on scholarship which I believe they were all announced as if they were.

WashPA I thought Reece was gone after this year. Does he have another year to go based on Covid?
So do we then have only 3 available or 4?

1/15/2023 1:22 pm  #4

My philosophy on recruiting is go after point guards and centers.  The other positions will take care of themselves if you've got high quality 1s and 5s on the roster. 

1/16/2023 7:17 am  #5

Motor wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

WashPA I thought Reece was gone after this year. Does he have another year to go based on Covid?
So do we then have only 3 available or 4?

Sorry wrong big guy. I meant to put Williams.

2/26/2023 8:23 am  #6

Motor wrote:

I know we are just over halfway into an amazing fun and exciting year that we all hope just keeps growing and producing wins.  But its never too early to look at recruiting. We have a week off to rest and have some time on our hands so the idle mind of mine took to thinking?

If my math is correct we have 5 Graduating or leaving Rotroff, Gunn, Brewer and Reece with 1 Easley transfer.
So that makes 5 available schorlarships to use for recruiting.  I am hoping like many here that we do not have any departures but we all know with the transfer portal that is not likely to happen.  However for this purpose lets just go with 5 for now.  So what are your thoughts or wishes for how we should use those 5.  Here is my take in the order of need first to fifth.
[list=1]
[*]true point guard preferably from the portal who can score and distribute and be PG1. I know we have Rozier returning but although he is great to have he is a pass first PG who’s offensive production is limited by his height. I believe Carney will be a big help here but think he is more of a shooting guard than point.
[*]Power Forward. With the loss of Gunn that leaves Williams as the only true PF on the roster. I think we need another PF who can rebound and shoot it at least from mid range as well as possibly from three. I prefer a Portal player here.
[*]Small Forward. With the possibility of Hronsky being the only true small forward who has played any significant minutes a 6-6 or 6-7 small all around player would help immensely.  Clark can play here but is a bit undersized. McGriff could possibly fill this role but from what I have seen he’s more of a PG than small forward. I would take either a HS or Prep player here but of course a proven portal player is always a good option.
[*]Shooting Guard. You can never have enough good shooters in the A-10. Get the best available although you would think Grant, Clark, and Carney would ideally be the three.  Maybe a Prep School player who might be willing to red shirt could be a possibility.
[*]True Center. Some may think with the players that leave Reece and Rotroff that this might be a bigger priority.  However I feel that Barre and Dixon are very capable of taking this position to the next level but of course another player to compete and throw in the mix is always good. A Portal again Hey 6-11 center  would be my first option but a Prep School is good also.
[/list]
Ok that is my list and guess what I picked every position.  Let me know your thoughts on this list and feel free to pile on or make one of your own.
Go Dukes!

Looking forward to the end of this fantastic season
Just revisit this because I believe our biggest need will be a true center rebounder and scorer!
Rozier has proved to be a great option at point now. So another portal pg is now second on my list!
Go Dukes

2/26/2023 9:22 am  #7

Motor wrote:

Motor wrote:

[list=1]
[/list]
Go Dukes!

Looking forward to the end of this fantastic season
Just revisit this because I believe our biggest need will be a true center rebounder and scorer!
Rozier has proved to be a great option at point now. So another portal pg is now second on my list!
Go Dukes

Couldn't agree more. Rozier is a fantastic athlete and really heady player. Biggest need is definitely a 6-10 big who can do it all inside. Been a long time since we've had one of those. Now's the time to find one even though I do believe Barre can be that dominant player down the line. Hoping for the best for him too! 

2/26/2023 11:01 am  #8

I just can't help thinking that the most important recruiting the staff can/must be doing is the kind that keeps the current players in the program. There are too many good ones to lose!

Item 1B for me continues to be an experienced PG with good size. I still think Rozier will not be ready to be the man for 30 minutes a night in A-10 play.

Barba has certainly had a rough go of things injury-wise at DU. I wonder if Clark, Dae Dae, Q, & Hronsky all return if that wouldn't have him looking for a fresh start elsewhere with less depth at his position(s). I  am neither advocating for this nor do I have any secret info on the matter. He was a valued recruit with a reputation as an excellent shooter & an offer from Texas A & M. He is already 21 & has 3 years if eligibility remaining. Those all seem like good things if he stays.

2/26/2023 11:34 am  #9

Agree Phil, I like Rozier off the bench as a spark for 15 min or so per game.  To be elite in the A-10 I think we need a experienced quality PG with length, say about 6'2" or so.  I wonder though if Crime Dog could be the starter at PG, just throwing that out there.  And yes we definitely need a quality big for next year.  All that said let's beat Davidson today and keep pressing towards a top 4 finish if some other things go well for us.

2/26/2023 11:40 am  #10

Sorry. Who is Crime Dog?

2/26/2023 12:19 pm  #11

El Presidente wrote:

Sorry. Who is Crime Dog?

Hmm perhaps he means the best STEALER in the league Clark?

2/28/2023 9:22 am  #13

OK. At my age I'm lucky if I can remember all the players given names!!!

2/28/2023 9:27 am  #14

I guess we need a big man, at least one, and a PF/SF kind of scoring guy, and a point guard.   But what I really hope is everyone(or most) come back, Dixon and Barre are 100%, and Carney is a scorer.   

Board footera